ARAMARK Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014

ARAMARK CEO Eric J. Foss
Eric J. Foss

Pros
  • Good work-life balance if you are in the right account, good 401k program and benefits (in 16 reviews)

• Ability to learn various aspects of contract management; opportunity to work in different lines of business (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It has a horrible work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The upper management that wasn't at the direct location was never seen (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Aramark is a very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Dieatry Clerk  in  Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Dieatry Clerk in Naperville, IL

I have been working at ARAMARK part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with coworkers who understand you and want to work together.Training is always available,good managers who are even keel and have a professional attitude when approaching a problem. Weather it's equipment or people, has a proactive approach to solve it.

Cons

Inconsistent coworkers, who call off or won't cooperate with rest of team. Makes work harder to keep up with. Depending on area of work and patient load, we have to try to be ready for anything that's happens.

I had a very good work experience and I wish that I was able to stay longer.

Former Employee - Food Prep, Cook, Server, Cashier  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Food Prep, Cook, Server, Cashier in Chicago, IL

I worked at ARAMARK as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

During my brief experience with this company I've witnessed a good working environment, team players, good customers, nice pay and benefits. Hands on training is excellent, management is fair when it comes to hours.

Cons

Some of the challenges of working with this company is long hours with short breaks, working nights and weekends if necessary, traveling when needed.

Only advice I have is that I wish that they have judged me off the person that I am today and not the person that I was years ago.

Hostile work enviiornment. Managment is so far removed from reality. Employees are not even numbers.

I worked at ARAMARK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Absolutly no Pros regarding any aspect of this company

Cons

Where to start? Benefits are lacking and expensive, for non exempt employees. Employees are treated with disrespect and with hostility. Management often pits the employee against the customer, setting the employee up for failure and possible termination. NOTHING is confidential. This company is a human resource nightmare. They will and have faced law suits for various HR, breaches. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Run don't walk away from any open positions at this sorry excuse for a corporation.

Get your heads out of your corner offices in Philidelphia and get involved with what your site managment teams are doing to your "brand" and their employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, hard to advance within.

Current Employee - Assistant Food Service Director  in  Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Food Service Director in Naperville, IL

I have been working at ARAMARK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent work life balance. They will schedule around your needs. They can make moves to get different areas covered.
    Large company with a good outlook.

Cons

Difficult to advance within the company.

Supportive Team Members, Great Training

I worked at ARAMARK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at ARAMARK - I appreciated my supportive team members, and the environment was good "training ground" for me career. Very grateful for that experience!

Cons

No complaints, I was treated very fairly. I was there during a tough time for the company as a whole ('07-'11) and I wish them the best as they move forward.

It was fine. I like the enviroment

Former Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at ARAMARK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice Environment. Students made it fun

Cons

Upper management has issues. They need to be more honet

Be honest and forthcoming

Have been treated well

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ARAMARK full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

As a manager, you are allowed to act as an entrepreneur, running your business with a support network of, primarily IT applications with overhead costs borne by the company, generally. Good work-life balance if you are in the right account, good 401k program and benefits.

Cons

Challenges include lack of human support as cuts are made at the corporate level, programs rolled out to the field with no allowance for covering the cost from the account, programs rolled out to the field with what seems to be incomplete consideration of operational issues, extended wait times as more service matters are consigned to phone support (an operator doesn't have 35 minutes to sit on hold to follow up a pay issue)

Consider expanding support instead of continuing to contract support. A corporate value is Front Line First but that doesn't seem to be being "lived" by the company.

Looking for the best for less.

Current Employee - Catering  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Catering in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ARAMARK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hard working employees that really care about the jobs they have obtained.

Cons

Those who seem not to care about their positions are left alone,with no consequences while those who care are left to pick up their slack. Supervisors allow substandard performance to go on as long as there is no backlash from their superiors.

Adhere to the standards you've set, for your customers as well as employees.

Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  New Lenox, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New Lenox, IL

I worked at ARAMARK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company accommodates their employees!! Great benefits!

Cons

None. I enjoyed my employment with Aramark.

Hire more Admins!!

Wish I had a more positive experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ARAMARK full-time for more than a year

Pros

I managed and met some great people! I got pushed really hard and learned a lot. I was located downtown and had great views of the city. I had a great experience with the vendors that I was constantly in contact with. I have learned and grown professionally and personally.

Cons

I have never have been so stressed, pulled in so many directions, and filled with such negativity at a job in my life. I have been in hospitality (restaurants and catering) for over 8 years.... this was just flipping crazy. There was no place to move up and I got a 1% raise at my one year review, after busting my ass and getting negativity thrown my way every day. There was no work life balance, when you work 60-70 plus hours a week, yet they wanted me to cut more labor for my hourly employees that were getting 30-35hrs a week. The expectations are unattainable and if it isn't exactly perfect for everything, getting yelled at was what was coming. Even if my boss didn't know how to do my job, there was no asking it was all assumption that myself and my staff didn't know what I was doing. I wish the staff I managed felt more appreciated then just me, they needed it from the general manager instead of constant negativity from her. Also her way of coaching you out was asking if you shower, do your hair, why aren't you wearing makeup, and we need to talk about your attire/uniform. This was told to me and 3 other people, multiple times... kinda crazy right?! Whelp needless to say, two managers have left with out a job, and 4 people have quit within a month. I feel like Aramark could be a great company just at a different account location, hopefully.

When 3 different people have called HR on a general manager and you have 4 people quit as quick as they have please look at who you have managing. Taking a visit to that site and actually talking with the staff one on one may help. There are only about 11 staff when all positions are full.

Worked for ARAMARK? Contribute to the Community!