ARAMARK

ARAMARK Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jun 13, 2014

ARAMARK CEO Eric J. Foss

Eric J. Foss

Pros
  • Good work-life balance if you are in the right account, good 401k program and benefits(in 15 reviews)

• Ability to learn various aspects of contract management; opportunity to work in different lines of business(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It has a horrible work life balance(in 17 reviews)

• The upper management that wasn't at the direct location was never seen(in 25 reviews)

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Supportive Team Members, Great Training

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI really enjoyed my time at ARAMARK - I appreciated my supportive team members, and the environment was good "training ground" for me career. Very grateful for that experience!

ConsNo complaints, I was treated very fairly. I was there during a tough time for the company as a whole ('07-'11) and I wish them the best as they move forward.

It was fine. I like the enviroment

Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNice Environment. Students made it fun

ConsUpper management has issues. They need to be more honet

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and forthcoming

Have been treated well

General Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAs a manager, you are allowed to act as an entrepreneur, running your business with a support network of, primarily IT applications with overhead costs borne by the company, generally. Good work-life balance if you are in the right account, good 401k program and benefits.

ConsChallenges include lack of human support as cuts are made at the corporate level, programs rolled out to the field with no allowance for covering the cost from the account, programs rolled out to the field with what seems to be incomplete consideration of operational issues, extended wait times as more service matters are consigned to phone support (an operator doesn't have 35 minutes to sit on hold to follow up a pay issue)

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider expanding support instead of continuing to contract support. A corporate value is Front Line First but that doesn't seem to be being "lived" by the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Looking for the best for less.

Catering (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHard working employees that really care about the jobs they have obtained.

ConsThose who seem not to care about their positions are left alone,with no consequences while those who care are left to pick up their slack. Supervisors allow substandard performance to go on as long as there is no backlash from their superiors.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdhere to the standards you've set, for your customers as well as employees.

Administrative Assistant

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) New Lenox, IL

ProsCompany accommodates their employees!! Great benefits!

ConsNone. I enjoyed my employment with Aramark.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more Admins!!

Wish I had a more positive experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI managed and met some great people! I got pushed really hard and learned a lot. I was located downtown and had great views of the city. I had a great experience with the vendors that I was constantly in contact with. I have learned and grown professionally and personally.

ConsI have never have been so stressed, pulled in so many directions, and filled with such negativity at a job in my life. I have been in hospitality (restaurants and catering) for over 8 years.... this was just flipping crazy. There was no place to move up and I got a 1% raise at my one year review, after busting my ass and getting negativity thrown my way every day. There was no work life balance, when you work 60-70 plus hours a week, yet they wanted me to cut more labor for my hourly employees that were getting 30-35hrs a week. The expectations are unattainable and if it isn't exactly perfect for everything, getting yelled at was what was coming. Even if my boss didn't know how to do my job, there was no asking it was all assumption that myself and my staff didn't know what I was doing. I wish the staff I managed felt more appreciated then just me, they needed it from the general manager instead of constant negativity from her. Also her way of coaching you out was asking if you shower, do your hair, why aren't you wearing makeup, and we need to talk about your attire/uniform. This was told to me and 3 other people, multiple times... kinda crazy right?! Whelp needless to say, two managers have left with out a job, and 4 people have quit within a month. I feel like Aramark could be a great company just at a different account location, hopefully.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen 3 different people have called HR on a general manager and you have 4 people quit as quick as they have please look at who you have managing. Taking a visit to that site and actually talking with the staff one on one may help. There are only about 11 staff when all positions are full.

The worst company I worked for!

Food Service Worker (Former Employee) Oswego, IL

ProsI worked within the school district my children attended. It was very convenient when they were young.

ConsAramark treats their low level employees awful. Raises were 7 cents annually. Hours were being cut to save money yet new menu items were added increasing workload. They do not care for workplace morale. They pay minimum wage & can't understand why the have high turnover, unhappy & non dedicated employees. I stuck it out for years to have summers off with my kids. Recently, I changed because kids are grown & I became glowingly frustrated with Aramark constantly trying to trim budgets by cutting hours. They contribute virtually nothing to health insurance leaving workers entire paychecks paying for insurance. After being offered another job at almost double the Aramark peanut salary, I wish I left long ago to preserve my self respect & worth.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe food service clerks & lower level management work very hard for minimal pay. Consider what trimming off .5 hours does to safety, morale & quality of work. By trimming off a half hour, Aramark saved $4. But it puts such workload pressure on the entire work crew that people are frustrated and working too rushed to safely do their job.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Needs better cross LOB communication

General Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIndependence, compensation, great people to work with

ConsTop down program management, lack of communication to the field when corporate rolls out new programs, lack of human contacts for service and support, extended delays when trying to reach corporate support groups, poor cross-LOB communication

Advice to Senior ManagementLive your values - front line first is not a reality and becoming less so as time goes on

It was fine, until....

On-call Worker (Former Employee) Evanston, IL

ProsThe position was fine. it was an on call position. It could have been better although I was never hire on permently.

ConsIts was lot if favoritism at the unit I work at last. I was never bought on full time and I always told lie when new person was hire over. I came to work everyday and on time

Satisfied Customer

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSalary is within range off skill

ConsPTO Time, Vacation and Benifits

Advice to Senior ManagementSr. Management needs to involve front line managers in decision making sometime.

Worked for ARAMARK? Contribute to the Community!