ARAMARK Parks & Destinations

www.aramarkparksanddestinations.com

ARAMARK Parks & Destinations Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
ARAMARK Parks & Destinations – “McKinley Village Lodge”

Bruce Fears

Laundry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment and awesome people to work with.

ConsLow pay in relation to the amount of work and demands we had to get done.

Concessions supervisor

Guest Services Supervisor (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsFast paced environment, fair training, many people always willing to give a hand, employees gain close relationships, great job if you like to work with others

Consdifficult guests make it hard for employees to behave correctly at times, pay is very average, and hours are never consistent on a non-salary pay. hard for employees to advance in company

Worst upper management I have ever encountered at Mesa Verde than anywhere I have ever worked.

Retail Associate (Current Employee) Mesa Verde National Park, CO

ProsFirst off, I am not a disgrunteled employee even if I may sound that way. I am just disgusted at the way this place is allowed to operate year after year. The first line managers are good. Mine was awesome and he always looked out for us. But the best part of working is the park its self. If you can get time off (don't count on it) visiting the park is very relaxing. They encourage you to come take time to explore. Then work you to death while management takes 3 day weekends, vacations during the busiest times. Or find them actually sleeping in their office while your extremely busy.

ConsFront line managers are good. Upper management is horrible. They promise you the world to get you there. Then when your there, nothing they stated was even half true. Management abuses the employees like slave labor. They never help out when you need it, meaning step in and help when you're over flowed with business. They are nonexistant when you need them. They treat you like you know nothing about retail or food management even though you have more experience than they do. They do not wish to hear your solutions to problems or how to improve. They feel they know more and you're a threat if you try to improve things. They like things tyhe way they are even though they are not the best ways. The GM there protects the magnificant 7 (as we all called them) below like a little club. They like their cushy jobs and no one is going to jeapordize that for them. They do not care about the employees, have the worst living conditions of any park I have been to. Management rarely will talk to you if you are not in management. There is a tremendous waste of resources by these managers driving up and down the mountain to visit the retail outlets for 10 minutes and leave for another 40 minute drive back down so they can say they visited. The HR department works for the betterment of the upper managers rather than the employees. They have mishandled sexual harrassment, employee on employee violence, drunken employees including managers. The retail warehouse department is a real joke. These people do absolutely nothing. They pretend to work but all they do is, well no one actually can tell what they do. They will come to the stores (after driving 45 minutes up the mountain) stay for 5-10 minutes and then leave. No one knows exactly why they are there or what they did when they were there. I would never recommend this company to anyone nor will I ever go back.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. The world does not revolve around you. You are there to provide help to those that actually provide the service to the customers. Not the other way around. You act as though the employees are there so that you can sit back and relax in your 5-6 hour day while the workers work 8-9-12 hour days 6-7 days a week. You take your weekends off and act like you are god! You should really look at your process and see that it does not work well. It is not about you as managers, it is about the employees and the guest. You pretend to care but you do not and is shows. You don't realize that you managers are the butt of all jokes at Mesa Verde.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The experience depends on local management and can change each season

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bullfrog, UT

Pros-Great benefits, for those who qualify
    -Tries to promote from within first
    -low cost of living
    -some managers were EXCELLENT, some of the very best people I've known
    -hires from all over the country and world, providing a chance to experience other cultures

Cons-didn't always follow through with perks and promises
    -little to no training
    -wages only at or below industry standard, making it hard to live on
    -felt like the bottom line is more important than employees or even guests
    -yearly increases were capped at a low percent, regardless of performance
    -most local leadership were poor managers and some were downright terrible
    -poor communication and lack of transparency
    -no job security
    -typical corporate mentality of "do more with less" got to insane proportions over the ten plus years I was there - not sustainable

Advice to Senior Management-Invest in good, effective training programs for all levels
    -Support your employees, since happy employees make happy guests, which will help the bottom line
    -take care when hiring leadership

Misrepresented Opportunity, Unprofessional, and Retaliation

Deckhand (Current Employee) Gustavus, AK

ProsI applied and was hired with a letter confirming from HR at Glacier Bay Lodge that my work as a deckhand would be honored and hours logged and signed off by the captain of their touring yacht. I was working towards my Captain's License and needed to log hours.

ConsAfter spending 4 days and $1200 to reach the lodge in SE Alaska near a glacier coming all the way from Southern California by jet and a bush plane several hours from Juno that almost did not make it due to fog I walk in to the HR dept and they have me sign documents, hand me the key to a room in employee housing, the place is a slum. Moreover, they have me shacked up with some pot head that, although harmless, dresses and presents himself like a guy I'd meet in a holding cell. When I go back to the HR office to ask for a room change they inform me that the boat captain will not sign my log -- I have an signed agreement that he was supposed to. I tell them I have decided to not take the job. They tell me I have to pay $70 for my own return to Juno on their boat. I place my bags with tourists to have them loaded on the boat. They never put them on the boat. I have to pay $200 to have the bags flown out on a private bush plane from the park to Juno. Cost me $1500 cash plus time plus my entire Summer wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementI should have sued you for your conduct and your retaliatory ways. Thankfully there is glassdoor. Isn't karma a bummer. I will never forget that experience. I strongly advise no-one to work Aramark Parks and Destinations. I was informed by another tour operator in Juno that this company's issues were local only to Glacier Bay Lodge operations - it's owned or run by a reservation - but I consider management at the highest level to be at fault and they are ultimately accountable for mistreatment of an employee.

Alaska Adventure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to see another part of the country, meet awesome people. It really helped me learn a lot from my co-workers.

ConsThere weren't many cons, actually. I guess the only thing that I would have changed was that I would have liked to work more hours, but it wasn't a possibility.

Retail Intern

Retail Intern (Former Employee) Bullfrog, UT

Pros- Definitely a lot to learn
    - Good performance feedback at the end of your experience
    - real project experience (you won't just be filing papers or getting coffee)

Cons- Very disorganized
    - Sometimes an overwhelming about of work with insufficient guidance
    - Hard to follow up with (the career services website isn't updated, I had no idea when they were coming back to campus or what opportunities they had, etc... everything just sort of drops off after you finish the program

Good

ProsMost of the leadership team are genuine and good people to work with. Good career advancement opportunities. Get to work in some of the most beautiful parts of the country.

ConsThe rest of Aramark isn't that interested in Parks and Destinations. Many positions are seasonal.

Review of ARAMARK services in Denali Park, AK, USA

Server (Current Employee) Healy, AK

ProsOutstanding staff, Outstanding facilities. Friendly approach to international people. Respect diversity and appreciative for a job well done.

ConsTime management, distant from rest of the world, difficult transportation.

Advice to Senior Managementthe hiring process needs to be optimized(less over and under hiring), improve the transportation for employees, improve the food for the employees.

It was a great seasonal job - easy to have a good work-life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denali Park, AK

Pros~ Get to see a place many people save up a lot of money to visit
    ~ Easy to save the money you make as there are few places to spend it
    ~ Promotions are easy to get if you are a returning employee
    ~ Cost of living is less every time you come back
    ~ People are great for the most part - very friendly place!

Cons~ Living situation: summer camp/dorms
    ~ Water went off at least 3 nights last summer
    ~ Rent and food cost are high - hard to make a lot of money
    ~ They cut hours significantly half-way through and started firing a lot of people - kind of fishy, not what you would expect the "most ethical" company to do

Worked for ARAMARK Parks & Destinations? Contribute to the Community!