ARC of Washington County

Updated October 1, 2014
1.4

ARC of Washington County Executive Director Phyllis Landry
Phyllis Landry

Best work experience ever!

Former Employee - Therapist in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Therapist in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at ARC of Washington County full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Childrens Program is well ran and receptive.

Cons

None. This was a great working experience!

Love the program!

Oh my goodness I wish I would have read these reviews before i even applied at this ill run place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at ARC of Washington County (less than an year)

Pros

The individuals and only a few of the people in the office

Cons

Beware before you even consider going in and applying, I applied did the paperwork was given a contingent position even went to the two weeks and one day of training, on the last day they pulled me into the HR office and gave me a letter stating they were retracting my contingent position and asked me to leave all because some stupid nurse wouldn't answer my question I was asking during my med tech application so she clicked on the buttons and sent the application wouldn't even answer my questions first before submitting.....so they said i falsified information on my initial app which i never falsified any thing!!!! so yeah they are very ignorant to the employees and don't know did lie squat about how to run anything that's why those poor individuals have such a hard time, they have a large turn over rate and the individuals have a hard time dealing with that.....I left a great job just to go there....but on the bright side I found a wonderful job i love just today and i told them everything that happened to me everything ....and they said something that totally made my day.......its the Arcs loss.....and our gain....WELCOME ABOARD!

Just because you think your right, your not always right.....I do OWN my mistakes, every day of my life.....that don't make it right to say I was dishonest, ask the two individuals who were in the so called area with the nurse that was helping us do our online applications.....I asked her several times which button to click and she came over and did all the clicking I should have got up and made a big issue but being a kind person I trusted her....wrong......get your office people some training, they seem to much in a hurry and don't take time to explain when you need to do something so important........And instead of being so concerned with peoples past mistakes especially if its been over 10 years....think about how good of an employee your gaining and how they will care for the individuals they are about to serve!!!!

I worked at the Arc of Washington County for 12+ years. Individuals are wonderful! "Management" is terrible!!

Former Employee - Residential, Outreach
    Former Employee - Residential, Outreach

I worked at ARC of Washington County full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The individuals was the only reason I stayed that long but bills needed to be paid

Cons

-Few to no opportunities for career advancement they already know who they are going to promote before the job even post.
    -I get paid the same amount as someone who gets hired on meaning no raises or bonuses. The only incentive is a free t shirt and a turkey or ham for the holidays, That they received free from the market. No recognition for your dedication or hard work.
    -Management is a joke they have no idea how to manage anything. They all seem like they are above the "direct care"

I think in order to advance or become a manager they should work in the day programs or homes for at least 8 hrs. Show respect to those that make the ARC RUN! Be fair to those who want to advance. Don't take advantage of those who are willing to go above and beyond.

I agree with earlier comments; the individuals are fine, management is terrible

Former Employee - Caregiver in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at ARC of Washington County full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Occasional satisfaction that you have made the lives of the individuals better.

Cons

Maybe because of the system for getting funding from the state of MD (more reported incidents = more $; fewer incidents = less $) management has no interest in improving the lives of the individuals (the handicapped people). Management emphasizes paperwork about "incident reports," and cover-your-rear-end approach to all issues. The threat of lawsuits may also what leads to management's approach.

Reward staffers who improve the lives of the individuals. Discipline or fire staffers (including managers) who do not look for ways to help the individuals.

Utter misery due to shoddy management!

Former Employee - Outreach Worker I
    Former Employee - Outreach Worker I

I worked at ARC of Washington County full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Most individuals served are a pleasure to work with
    -Fellow co-workers are very supportive and hardworking

Most of the individuals and families involved with this organization truly value the workers and their services. Co-workers and caseworkers will stand with you when you voice concerns about the individuals and truly work hard to meet the needs of those who are served.

Cons

-Few to no opportunities for career advancement
    -Little to no incentives for current employees
    -Benefits have been progressively diminishing in quality
    -Upper management pretends to care, but actually turns a blind eye to their workers

Management at this employer is a nightmare! My former immediate supervisor is incredibly disorganized, forgetful, oblivious, extremely anxious, and egoistical; the workers beneath are constantly picking up the slack she causes. The department head is someone who can only see things in terms of black and white, and lacks empathy for those who work beneath her. Upper management runs this organization as if it were a for-profit business rather than a non-profit that aids those in need.

In addition to saying that you respect your workers, actually treat your workers with respect--many of us can see past your words. Also, stop seeing your workers as an expendable resource. You know very well that many workers haven't voiced anything contrary to your views because they're not in the position to risk their jobs; you're fooling yourself if you believe otherwise.

The clients were wonderful, the supervisors were incompetent and hateful.

Former Employee - Support Partner I in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Support Partner I in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at ARC of Washington County

Pros

The best part is that you are alone with your clients and are your own boss. You can do your job and have fun at the same time. The clients were ratioed at 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 and very managable.

Cons

The CSLA department was ill run and had a horrible staff to deal with. I avoided the office at all times if possile. The supervisor evidently has an unhappy life that she carries over to the work place. If you notified them that you needed off for doctor's appointments, they would throw the requests away and pretend they didn't recieve them.The job would have been an extremely great job if you never had to go to the office.

My advice would be to clean house in the management department. Survey your caregivers and really find out what they think of management.

Ok for a short time but not to plan a career.

I have been working at ARC of Washington County (more than 10 years)

Pros

Truly a pleasure to work worth many of the individuals. They are awesome. Many dedicated intelligent , kind , hardworking long term staff.

Cons

Terrible benefits, no raises for many years. Higher level management does not value staff. High turn overs. Constant staff shortages

Start treating the staff as you would like to be treated. Raises, incentives and opportunities to advance with in the company would be encouraging to all employees.