ARC of Washington County Reviews

2.0
ARC of Washington County Executive Director Phyllis Landry
Phyllis Landry

1. CMT

Former Employee - Certified Med Tech/Professional Support Staff in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at ARC of Washington County (Less than a year)

Pros

The clients are worth while and deserving. I really enjoyed spending time with them. This was a very rewarding job. There was plenty of opportunities for overtime hours.

Cons

The shifts were very long some times over 13+ hours. You can not leave until the next shift gets there.

Advice to Management

Be more selective in who you hire.

2. Life Skills Mentor: Children's Residential

Former Employee - Lead Life Skills Mentor in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Life Skills Mentor in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at ARC of Washington County full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The residents are great to work with, and some of the coworkers aren't too bad.

Cons

The administrative staff is all over the place. I saw so many unethical decisions being made, and therefore felt unethical working there most of the time. Life Skills Mentors do so much for the residents and get very little credit from the administrative staff. There are also a slew of communication issues, and there is little opportunity to move up in this position.

3. Therapist

I worked at ARC of Washington County

Pros

Awesome working environment. Great co-workers. Great supervisor. Teamwork wonderful. Work vehicle.

Cons

None. Really none at all. I really enjoyed working in this working environment.Didn't know as much about upper management though.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

5. Love my job

Current Employee - Cmt/Cna in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Cmt/Cna in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at ARC of Washington County

Pros

Nice personal very understanding on work and home balance

Cons

Some staff get more hours then others

Advice to Management

Set pay round company

6. Not for a long term career choice

Former Employee - Support Partner I Day Program
    Former Employee - Support Partner I Day Program

I worked at ARC of Washington County

Pros

The individuals are wonderful, I think the reason a lot of employers stay is because of the people they care for. Co workers were all very nice and a joy to be around, very hard workers for such little pay.

Cons

They do not give out raises. They state "you don't do this for the money" which is true because they don't pay what the employees are worth. Don't expect to move up in this company they do not care about experience it's all about the degree which again the pay is terrible I think a bachelors postion is only 16$ an hr. Supervisors have no experience in direct care and are absolutly clueless.

Advice to Management

Listen to your direct care staff. Give a raise even if it is a couple cents, a bonus would also be nice. Please clean up management and bring in people who know about the individuals and company.

7. Oh my goodness I wish I would have read these reviews before i even applied at this ill run place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at ARC of Washington County (Less than a year)

Pros

The individuals and only a few of the people in the office

Cons

Beware before you even consider going in and applying, I applied did the paperwork was given a contingent position even went to the two weeks and one day of training, on the last day they pulled me into the HR office and gave me a letter stating they were retracting my contingent position and asked me to leave all because some stupid nurse wouldn't answer my question I was asking during my med tech application so she clicked on the buttons and sent the application wouldn't even answer my questions first before submitting.....so they said i falsified information on my initial app which i never falsified any thing!!!! so yeah they are very ignorant to the employees and don't know did lie squat about how to run anything that's why those poor individuals have such a hard time, they have a large turn over rate and the individuals have a hard time dealing with that.....I left a great job just to go there....but on the bright side I found a wonderful job i love just today and i told them everything that happened to me everything ....and they said something that totally made my day.......its the Arcs loss.....and our gain....WELCOME ABOARD!

Advice to Management

Just because you think your right, your not always right.....I do OWN my mistakes, every day of my life.....that don't make it right to say I was dishonest, ask the two individuals who were in the so called area with the nurse that was helping us do our online applications.....I asked her several times which button to click and she came over and did all the clicking I should have got up and made a big issue but being a kind person I trusted her....wrong......get your office people some training, they seem to much in a hurry and don't take time to explain when you need to do something so important........And instead of being so concerned with peoples past mistakes especially if its been over 10 years....think about how good of an employee your gaining and how they will care for the individuals they are about to serve!!!!

8. Best work experience ever!

Former Employee - Therapist in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Therapist in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at ARC of Washington County full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Childrens Program is well ran and receptive.

Cons

None. This was a great working experience!

Advice to Management

Love the program!

I agree with earlier comments; the individuals are fine, management is terrible

Former Employee - Caregiver in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at ARC of Washington County full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Occasional satisfaction that you have made the lives of the individuals better.

Cons

Maybe because of the system for getting funding from the state of MD (more reported incidents = more $; fewer incidents = less $) management has no interest in improving the lives of the individuals (the handicapped people). Management emphasizes paperwork about "incident reports," and cover-your-rear-end approach to all issues. The threat of lawsuits may also what leads to management's approach.

Advice to Management

Reward staffers who improve the lives of the individuals. Discipline or fire staffers (including managers) who do not look for ways to help the individuals.

Utter misery due to shoddy management!

Former Employee - Outreach Worker I
    Former Employee - Outreach Worker I

I worked at ARC of Washington County full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Most individuals served are a pleasure to work with -Fellow co-workers are very supportive and hardworking Most of the individuals and families involved with this organization truly value the workers and their services. Co-workers and caseworkers will stand with you when you voice concerns about the individuals and truly work hard to meet the needs of those who are served.

Cons

-Few to no opportunities for career advancement -Little to no incentives for current employees -Benefits have been progressively diminishing in quality -Upper management pretends to care, but actually turns a blind eye to their workers Management at this employer is a nightmare! My former immediate supervisor is incredibly disorganized, forgetful, oblivious, extremely anxious, and egoistical; the workers beneath are constantly picking up the slack she causes. The department head is someone who can only see things in terms of black and white, and lacks empathy for those who work beneath her. Upper management runs this organization as if it were a for-profit business rather than a non-profit that aids those in need.

Advice to Management

In addition to saying that you respect your workers, actually treat your workers with respect--many of us can see past your words. Also, stop seeing your workers as an expendable resource. You know very well that many workers haven't voiced anything contrary to your views because they're not in the position to risk their jobs; you're fooling yourself if you believe otherwise.

The clients were wonderful, the supervisors were incompetent and hateful.

Former Employee - Support Partner I in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Support Partner I in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at ARC of Washington County

Pros

The best part is that you are alone with your clients and are your own boss. You can do your job and have fun at the same time. The clients were ratioed at 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 and very managable.

Cons

The CSLA department was ill run and had a horrible staff to deal with. I avoided the office at all times if possile. The supervisor evidently has an unhappy life that she carries over to the work place. If you notified them that you needed off for doctor's appointments, they would throw the requests away and pretend they didn't recieve them.The job would have been an extremely great job if you never had to go to the office.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to clean house in the management department. Survey your caregivers and really find out what they think of management.

RSS Feed </> Embed