ARCADIS US

3.1

ARCADIS US Chief Executive Officer John Jastrem
John Jastrem
1 Rating

Pros
  • Acceptable salary and benefits, upper management often in a completely different city, meaning limited daily meddling (in 4 reviews)

• Benefits, PTO are okay, Work/Life Balance depends upon the office (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • no bonus or awards and no real clear picture on what work/life balance is here (in 6 reviews)

• Billable hours, but that goes for any consulting job, not just Arcadis (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

A Great Firm for Talented Driven People

I have been working at ARCADIS US

Pros

The wealth of knowledge and commitment to improving the quality of life makes this a great firm to work for. The culture is driven by a desire to perform, learn and innovate. Some people may find the need to continuously improve oneself to be bothersome. Especially the old guard Malcolm Pirnie people who may have gotten a little bit too used to just coasting by because they were one giant family.

Cons

Sometimes it feels hard to connect to the corporate. Focus on financial billability becomes burdensome.

Hire selectively for the project work, people for commodity engineering as separate from people to do the detailed high end design work.

It is a very friendly environment, Lots of experience in complicated projects, Good compensation.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ARCADIS US

Pros

Well structured management staff, Good compensation, Safety is a top priority in every aspect. A quiet fast growing company.

Cons

Securing new projects to keep the work flow steady.

More intense marketing is needed.

Professional and Friendly Atmosphere

Current Employee - Human Resources in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at ARCADIS US as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I have only been with the company for two months, but in that time Arcadis has been very good in its communication. They have regular meetings 9team/department/company, with an open floor format. The people here seem genuinely interested in a good work/life balance. They are focused on health and safety. I see substantial opportunities for the employees willing to stretch their wings. They have some very interesting projects that are going on and it feels nice to be a part of a company that is doing good for the community.

Cons

Not their fault, but my computer was backordered, and the set up on it was not as easy as I would have liked. I did have a loner to get started with, but it took three days to get mine properly set up.

People are great, System is poor

I have been working at ARCADIS US

Pros

Good people and environment ambiance

Cons

System is not good. Billable system is way beyond what they provide. Projects are limited.

More project Please

Excellent opportunity for innovation and experience

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ARCADIS US full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ARCADIS as a company enables staff to engage in a large number of diverse projects. The company has developed a significant internal knowledge sharing network, which enables employees to continue to learn while on the job.

Cons

The dynamic of the workplace differs significantly between locations. ARCADIS has grown significantly through acquisitions; therefore, there are still several barriers to break down between employees from different backgrounds (previous companies). A principal internal complaint with ARCADIS is that they management does not look out for the junior staff. The supervisors and mentors in my experience have taken significant interest in investing in the junior staff, but the management style and method of establishing performance metrics often negatively affects the younger staffers.

The management has taken time to attempt engagement with the various offices, which I believe is on the right path. The bottom line is that ARCADIS pursues top talent, but does not compensate or reward them appropriately. Little incentive is given to top performers to stay with ARCADIS outside of the coworkers and the friendly environment. Increasing performance goals for each region/division often carries down to a heavier load on the junior staffers, which often translates to more hours for the key performers. Very low annual increases combined with significant increases in annual metrics are not in the best interest of the company.

Overall positive

Current Employee - Geologist I in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Geologist I in Hartford, CT

I have been working at ARCADIS US

Pros

Decent benefits, flexible work schedule, variety of opportunities and work experiences, some very great, very smart people to work with and learn from

Cons

Training is limited and hard to come by. Promotional opportunities, both monetary and professional are few and far between.

Communication can be improved

Co is in doldrums as to how to get better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ARCADIS US

Pros

Great clients, projects and internal systems. The variety of client is amazing compared to other firms in the business.

Cons

Lack of Sr leadership. I watched that for 9 yrs. Management staff just keeps shuffling positions to "get ahead" but really don't make the groups they lead profitable. The Co keeps talking about focus on people and their growth, but that is never discussed when managers and staff talk all year round - talk is only billability. A lot of Sr. staff never even had a PDP meeting/call, which is is not even known to Sr Mmgt because the Sup just decided to submit to the system. The Co is failing to "see" their long-term achievers in growth, so they are all leaving - like me.

Looks at the cons and make some changes ASAP, like all the other consulting firms are reinventing themselves

Overall, it was a pleasant experience working with ARCADIS.

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist

I worked at ARCADIS US full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large spectrum of clients. Variety of work. Work:Personal time is decent. Ability to build resume. Good benefits. Friendly work environment.

Cons

No bonuses are given. Uneven work schedule for people that primarily work in the field. Some weeks you could work 60-70 hrs and some you could struggle to get 20 hrs. The "billability" system they have in place can be a nuisance, especially for people that do a lot of field work. Some would work 40 hrs of billable work and 10 hrs of office work that is required to get the necessary paperwork/training in, but would only get paid for 40 hrs of work because the other 10 is overhead time. Basically 10 hrs of time required to do the job right isn't payed for, due to the billable system they have in place.

Project management can be spotty. Some project managers will not go over work plans with you and expect you to do a lot of their job for them; with no recognition following, just negative reinforcement if it isn't done. Also, some project management expects you to bend over backwards for their project, with no regards to other projects going on in the office/area.

Work on preparing your staff for project activities, both in the field and in the office. Be aware of how much effort your staff puts forth in ALL projects, and not just your own.

Mixed feelings - Not the best I've worked for, not the worst....

I have been working at ARCADIS US full-time (more than a year)

Pros

ARCADIS has some very talented, top-notch professionals working in my office. I also interact frequently with staff in other offices (Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas, Austin, Baton Rouge, Houston, New Orleans, etc.) Staff is consistently client-focused, intelligent, and talented. Generally great group of people to work with!

Cons

Upper management (CEO/COO) lacks vision and leadership. Mostly seems focused on financial billability and does not appear to understand the need to invest. CEO comes from a private sector background and does not appear to understand the public sector market or what is needed to build a sustainable business. Oftentimes, the answer to any issue is to cut staff...

ARCADIS has grown via many, many acquisitions. While this has resulted in some excellent talent, the company still hasn't figured out how to productively integrate cultures.

We need leadership, not more "management"

Unappreciated and company knew little regarding the profession they hires me for this career development was poor.

Current Employee - Archaeologist in Casper, WY
    Current Employee - Archaeologist in Casper, WY

I have been working at ARCADIS US full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and Benefits are good.

Cons

Poor career development for many professions.

Assign employees to supervisors who know something about their profession.