ARCADIS US

Updated February 24, 2015
3.1

ARCADIS US Chief Executive Officer John Jastrem
John Jastrem

Pros
  • Acceptable salary and benefits, upper management often in a completely different city, meaning limited daily meddling (in 4 reviews)

• Benefits, PTO are okay, Work/Life Balance depends upon the office (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • no bonus or awards and no real clear picture on what work/life balance is here (in 6 reviews)

• Billable hours, but that goes for any consulting job, not just Arcadis (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

A Great Firm for Talented Driven People

I have been working at ARCADIS US

Pros

The wealth of knowledge and commitment to improving the quality of life makes this a great firm to work for. The culture is driven by a desire to perform, learn and innovate. Some people may find the need to continuously improve oneself to be bothersome. Especially the old guard Malcolm Pirnie people who may have gotten a little bit too used to just coasting by because they were one giant family.

Cons

Sometimes it feels hard to connect to the corporate. Focus on financial billability becomes burdensome.

Hire selectively for the project work, people for commodity engineering as separate from people to do the detailed high end design work.

Good company to work for if you know you are going to be busy all the time!

I worked at ARCADIS US

Pros

Great benefits, very flexible to work with

Cons

Lack of promotions, billability was too hight

Great for newcomers, sad for mid-level employees

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at ARCADIS US

Pros

Get to work on very interesting projects (if lucky)
    Flexible time
    Remote work (depending on supervisor, performance and nature of work)
    Peers are great
    Paid conferences/external (job-related) activities
    Partially paid tuition

Cons

Constant fear of employees of being the next target of a layoff wave is evident. It's kind of a sad and poisonous energy.

Constantly changing leadership give the feeling of instability and improvisation.

I get the feeling that career advancement is synonymous to increasing chances of being a target to get flushed out. Their lay-off practices are also questionable. They don't lay off. They cut hours to the point of forcing employees to find some other way to earn a living. I guess in that way they don't have to pay the affected workers.

I feel they don't care how talented you are. They only care whether you are more than 90% billable to clients. They are trying to get rid of specialized people and hire newly grads. They try, not to retain the best talent, but to be a supplier of bodies with engineering degrees they can profit from.

Try to connect maturing employees with work opportunities to promote career advancement.

Fast-paced and demanding but ready access to community's collective knowledge and experience.

I have been working at ARCADIS US full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Structure of offices and financial reporting lowers barrier to working on national and international projects. If you have the drive, the great opportunity for professional growth.

Cons

The work load is unrelenting if your services are in demand. Balancing work and life requires constant negotiation, delegation, and follow-up. Don't expect your supervisor to manage your schedule, as management structure is very horizontal.

Work life balance should be a priority. Healthy, well-balanced staff improves performance and innovation.

Good company that needs to refocus on client service.

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at ARCADIS US

Pros

Competitive salaries and bonus potential. Interesting project work.

Cons

Very high billable rate goals. Unrealistic billable hour goals for senior staff who are also expected to bring in work and complete administrative tasks. The constant threat of layoffs based on billable rate alone has led to work hoarding and lack of client service.

The current business model has broken off business development to a separate group; however work from this group does not flow back to the other staff that are still expected to be very billable. To refocus on clients, there needs to be recognition of the value of non-billable activities that lead to organic growth.

Great experience, poor management

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer I
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer I

I have been working at ARCADIS US

Pros

Ive been here over 2 years. It's been a great experience to learn about technology in the remediation field as many of the leaders of the remediation field work within the company. The flexibility in work time is also nice. I have been able to work from other offices without any issues.

Cons

The management is sort of lacking when it comes to dealing with junior staff. My supervisor has no idea what I do since he never interacts with me which ends up hurting me at annual review time. it's He'd to move up in the company. I've been with the company 2.5 years and have yet to move up from an engineer 1 even though I do engineer 2 work. Offices can also be very clique which makes it difficult to get work, but then you are blamed for not meeting your billable hours.

Start paying better attention to your junior staff.

Good opportunities if you are in the right location

I worked at ARCADIS US

Pros

If you have a lot of experience you can find an exciting job here. It just depends on the business cycles in some of the locations.

Cons

Need better transition plans from project to project.

Employee development could use some leadership.

Difficult People

I worked at ARCADIS US

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Coworkers, Technology, Flex time

Cons

Difficult managers, no upward mobility

It is a very friendly environment, Lots of experience in complicated projects, Good compensation.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ARCADIS US

Pros

Well structured management staff, Good compensation, Safety is a top priority in every aspect. A quiet fast growing company.

Cons

Securing new projects to keep the work flow steady.

More intense marketing is needed.

Professional and Friendly Atmosphere

Current Contractor - Human Resources in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Contractor - Human Resources in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at ARCADIS US as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I have only been with the company for two months, but in that time Arcadis has been very good in its communication. They have regular meetings 9team/department/company, with an open floor format. The people here seem genuinely interested in a good work/life balance. They are focused on health and safety. I see substantial opportunities for the employees willing to stretch their wings. They have some very interesting projects that are going on and it feels nice to be a part of a company that is doing good for the community.

Cons

Not their fault, but my computer was backordered, and the set up on it was not as easy as I would have liked. I did have a loner to get started with, but it took three days to get mine properly set up.