ARCADIS US Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014

ARCADIS US CEO Gary Coates
Gary Coates

Pros
  • Acceptable salary and benefits, upper management often in a completely different city, meaning limited daily meddling (in 4 reviews)

• Benefits, PTO are okay, Work/Life Balance depends upon the office (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • no bonus or awards and no real clear picture on what work/life balance is here (in 6 reviews)

• Billable hours, but that goes for any consulting job, not just Arcadis (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

So far so good

I have been working at ARCADIS US full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had worked with several of the Arcadis staff on a previous joint venture and I was very impressed with their talents, teamwork and strong work ethic. I felt more of one of them then the company I was working for. Kudos for the person hiring these people because they really know how to pick out the best. I quickly jumped at the opportunity to work with them but this time as an Arcadis employee. It's been less than a month and so far I am happy with my decision.

Cons

Right now I have no cons.

Your employees make your company.

My 1 year Job Anniversary

Current Employee - Director of Project Controls in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Director of Project Controls in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at ARCADIS US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I just passed my one-year job anniversary mark, both in exiting the previous job and in working at ARCADIS. I have to say that coming to ARCADIS has been the best decision that I've made in a long time as the company seems to be a good fit for me.

I've been impressed at the great number of very talented, hard working, and competent (competent is a very high compliment for me) professionals. We have experts with so many diverse backgrounds, from engineering to business management, from environmental to physics. I have seen no internal politics, people are team-oriented, and everyone is highly committed to providing the best service and products to our clients possible.

What more can I say? It's a distinct pleasure to interact with this high caliber of individuals every day. Senior management is practical, hard working, sets goals, monitors and rewards performance, and has a sense of humor, without excessive rules and edicts, all of which can be hard to find in most companies. And, support from a very talented Marketing Department is unusually good, way better than I've ever experienced.

Cons

The jury is still out on the cons; seriously, I haven't seen any negatives yet. I was worried about the risk of a bureaucracy since the company is so large, but the processes seem to be reasonable, and more importantly, reasonably implemented.

Decent company, poor management

Current Employee - Geologist I
    Current Employee - Geologist I

I have been working at ARCADIS US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Allowed for a healthy work/home balance. However, the hardest working and most capable people are not the ones to be promoted. The individuals being promoted advanced because they know how to kiss up to management and talk badly about their coworkers.

Cons

Poor management in a top-heavy company.

Support staff is irrelevant

Former Employee - Support Staff in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Seattle, WA

I worked at ARCADIS US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Used to have unlimited sick time, but no more.

Cons

If you're not a geologist, you're not important. Support staff is not deemed important enough to treat well. 1% raises you're told you should be extremely happy about while friends of the managers get bonus after bonus.

Realize that any turnover is expensive. Seattle management takes care of their friends and treats everyone else like they don't exist.

Smart Strategy, Poor Culture

I worked at ARCADIS US full-time (less than an year)

Pros

ARCADIS has a focused strategy, helping employees understand where they fit in the mix and how to contribute.

Cons

Years of acquisitions have left the company with a lack of culture and identity, and there was little investment to change that. Poor middle management led to young and middle level professionals stressed out, fearful, and worried about issues that they shouldn't have to--taking their focus from clients.

People work hard for people, not the bottom line. If you invest in your people, they will grow your bottom line.

Sweatshop for young consultants

Former Employee - Environmental Consultant
    Former Employee - Environmental Consultant

I worked at ARCADIS US full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of young people. Opportunity for travel and transfer to different locations. There are very smart, cool people who work for this company.

Cons

Poor quality work. The company cares more about its shareholders than employees or clients. Poor leadership. Mid-level employees get squeezed out, little room to grow unless you are well connected. Boring work; the company does not try very hard to get you work that you excel in or are passionate about unless it meets their budget. Not a forward-thinking company. The professional development plan is smoke and mirrors, it's not taken seriously by management.

Industry leader with great people, but currently in a transitionary period that has many staff frustrated.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ARCADIS US full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Highly profitable company. Client focused. Top-notch technical staff. Good benefits. Making a real contribution to clients and the environment.

Cons

Senior leadership is in flux. Transitioning to a more globally lead organization. US leadership lacks vision. Many staff are frustrated, though still holding out hope that the situation will improve soon.

You can't cut your way to growth. The focus on profitability is important, but what the company really needs is a clear vision, strong leadership and a new focus on developing and empowering staff.

Great Place for Motivated People

Current Employee - Civil Engineer
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer

I have been working at ARCADIS US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting projects domestically and globally. Ability to connect and work with individuals on an international scale. Technically savvy managers and great benefits. Many opportunities for the people who want to put in the time and have the right attitude.

Cons

Strangely committed to hanging on to staff that are not competent as holdovers from previous acquisitions. No fine tuned internal PR.

Shake off old unproductive culture, get used to the idea of laying people off who aren't getting with the new culture. Be more rigorous in letting people go who clearly have the wrong attitude,

Abysmal

Former Employee - Geologist
    Former Employee - Geologist

I worked at ARCADIS US full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Travel, straight time OT, emerging technologies

Cons

Lower level management, lack of upward mobility

Promote from with in and don't hire just to show growth to investors.

Beware if you aren't the chosen few

I worked at ARCADIS US

Pros

Great experience, exposure to many different types of work, lots of career paths to take if you are so motivated

Cons

Entry level women should not expect to be able to have children and a career here, if you don't fit into their vision of you, you're screwed, right place right time with right people is key to advancing

Actually listen to what your people are saying. Too much lip service and not enough doing on the part of he employee.