www.arcadis-us.com

Updated December 19, 2014
3.1

ARCADIS US CEO Gary Coates
Gary Coates

Pros
  • Acceptable salary and benefits, upper management often in a completely different city, meaning limited daily meddling (in 4 reviews)

• Benefits, PTO are okay, Work/Life Balance depends upon the office (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • no bonus or awards and no real clear picture on what work/life balance is here (in 6 reviews)

• Billable hours, but that goes for any consulting job, not just Arcadis (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent opportunity for innovation and experience

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ARCADIS US full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ARCADIS as a company enables staff to engage in a large number of diverse projects. The company has developed a significant internal knowledge sharing network, which enables employees to continue to learn while on the job.

Cons

The dynamic of the workplace differs significantly between locations. ARCADIS has grown significantly through acquisitions; therefore, there are still several barriers to break down between employees from different backgrounds (previous companies). A principal internal complaint with ARCADIS is that they management does not look out for the junior staff. The supervisors and mentors in my experience have taken significant interest in investing in the junior staff, but the management style and method of establishing performance metrics often negatively affects the younger staffers.

The management has taken time to attempt engagement with the various offices, which I believe is on the right path. The bottom line is that ARCADIS pursues top talent, but does not compensate or reward them appropriately. Little incentive is given to top performers to stay with ARCADIS outside of the coworkers and the friendly environment. Increasing performance goals for each region/division often carries down to a heavier load on the junior staffers, which often translates to more hours for the key performers. Very low annual increases combined with significant increases in annual metrics are not in the best interest of the company.

Co is in doldrums as to how to get better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ARCADIS US

Pros

Great clients, projects and internal systems. The variety of client is amazing compared to other firms in the business.

Cons

Lack of Sr leadership. I watched that for 9 yrs. Management staff just keeps shuffling positions to "get ahead" but really don't make the groups they lead profitable. The Co keeps talking about focus on people and their growth, but that is never discussed when managers and staff talk all year round - talk is only billability. A lot of Sr. staff never even had a PDP meeting/call, which is is not even known to Sr Mmgt because the Sup just decided to submit to the system. The Co is failing to "see" their long-term achievers in growth, so they are all leaving - like me.

Looks at the cons and make some changes ASAP, like all the other consulting firms are reinventing themselves

Mixed feelings - Not the best I've worked for, not the worst....

I have been working at ARCADIS US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ARCADIS has some very talented, top-notch professionals working in my office. I also interact frequently with staff in other offices (Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas, Austin, Baton Rouge, Houston, New Orleans, etc.) Staff is consistently client-focused, intelligent, and talented. Generally great group of people to work with!

Cons

Upper management (CEO/COO) lacks vision and leadership. Mostly seems focused on financial billability and does not appear to understand the need to invest. CEO comes from a private sector background and does not appear to understand the public sector market or what is needed to build a sustainable business. Oftentimes, the answer to any issue is to cut staff...

ARCADIS has grown via many, many acquisitions. While this has resulted in some excellent talent, the company still hasn't figured out how to productively integrate cultures.

We need leadership, not more "management"

Overall, it was a pleasant experience working with ARCADIS.

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist

I worked at ARCADIS US full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large spectrum of clients. Variety of work. Work:Personal time is decent. Ability to build resume. Good benefits. Friendly work environment.

Cons

No bonuses are given. Uneven work schedule for people that primarily work in the field. Some weeks you could work 60-70 hrs and some you could struggle to get 20 hrs. The "billability" system they have in place can be a nuisance, especially for people that do a lot of field work. Some would work 40 hrs of billable work and 10 hrs of office work that is required to get the necessary paperwork/training in, but would only get paid for 40 hrs of work because the other 10 is overhead time. Basically 10 hrs of time required to do the job right isn't payed for, due to the billable system they have in place.

Project management can be spotty. Some project managers will not go over work plans with you and expect you to do a lot of their job for them; with no recognition following, just negative reinforcement if it isn't done. Also, some project management expects you to bend over backwards for their project, with no regards to other projects going on in the office/area.

Work on preparing your staff for project activities, both in the field and in the office. Be aware of how much effort your staff puts forth in ALL projects, and not just your own.

Demanding, but rewarding environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at ARCADIS US full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I really like the people I work with -- some are really great; most are really smart. ARCADIS also rewards those employees who contribute effectively. It has some great development programs for young professionals and more senior ones.

Cons

Culture has been poorly defined as we've grown so much by acquisition. Previously, the only way to describe the culture was 'performance-oriented', but that seems to be turning around. Performance, however, is still the main driver and criteria for success here. We could also use development programs for our mid-level staff.

Learn to balance the need for short-term thinking / decision making with the imperative for long-term investment. Too often, it seems like periodic metric analysis results in knee-jerk responses that may help in the short term, but probably hurt in the long run.

I have been working at ARCADIS US

Pros

Opportunity to succeed if you have insatiable drive

Cons

Losing longstanding key players recently

Sometimes bigger isn't better

My 1 year Job Anniversary

Current Employee - Director of Project Controls in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Director of Project Controls in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at ARCADIS US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I just passed my one-year job anniversary mark, both in exiting the previous job and in working at ARCADIS. I have to say that coming to ARCADIS has been the best decision that I've made in a long time as the company seems to be a good fit for me.

I've been impressed at the great number of very talented, hard working, and competent (competent is a very high compliment for me) professionals. We have experts with so many diverse backgrounds, from engineering to business management, from environmental to physics. I have seen no internal politics, people are team-oriented, and everyone is highly committed to providing the best service and products to our clients possible.

What more can I say? It's a distinct pleasure to interact with this high caliber of individuals every day. Senior management is practical, hard working, sets goals, monitors and rewards performance, and has a sense of humor, without excessive rules and edicts, all of which can be hard to find in most companies. And, support from a very talented Marketing Department is unusually good, way better than I've ever experienced.

Cons

The jury is still out on the cons; seriously, I haven't seen any negatives yet. I was worried about the risk of a bureaucracy since the company is so large, but the processes seem to be reasonable, and more importantly, reasonably implemented.

So far so good

I have been working at ARCADIS US full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had worked with several of the Arcadis staff on a previous joint venture and I was very impressed with their talents, teamwork and strong work ethic. I felt more of one of them then the company I was working for. Kudos for the person hiring these people because they really know how to pick out the best. I quickly jumped at the opportunity to work with them but this time as an Arcadis employee. It's been less than a month and so far I am happy with my decision.

Cons

Right now I have no cons.

Your employees make your company.

Worst.... Job.....Ever

Former Employee - Geologist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Geologist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ARCADIS US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some decent coworkers and the junior staff was helpful and friendly.

Cons

My title isn't hyperbole, it really was the worst job I have ever had, including bad jobs as a college student.

I will sum it up like this. I left a job I did not really like for a position at Arcadis. After about a year, I came crawling back to my old job because Arcadis was so bad that it totally changed my perspective on what a decent job is. In a way, I can thank Arcadis for this. Every other job I have ever had, or will ever have, will now appear better thanks to them and their redefining my understand of a terrible employer.

You have no interest in the opinions of minions, but we will continue to leave as we realize there are much better jobs out there. You offer poor pay, mediocre benefits and stressful tedious work. The only employees you retain will be those who are too naive to realize they are being underpaid and underutilized. Maybe you will reevaluate your policies when you realize how much money all the turnover is wasting.

Budget focuses, not People focused

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in White Plains, NY

I worked at ARCADIS US full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Via acquisitions, there are still very smart and dedicated people that work on exciting projects. The pay/benefits package was good, but it getting worse all the time.

Cons

Very poor staff retention has been a constant issue ever since the Malcolm Pirnie acquisition. Arcadis is falling out of favor with more clients in the United States while its competitors have been experiencing positive organic growth. The singular focus on the billable goals has created a culture of fear instead of the cooperative culture that was present before in Malcolm Pirnie. Management tells its employees that it is like that everywhere, but I can attest that the grass is greener on the other side. That opinion is also shared with my former co-workers that have also left. I tried to make the Arcadis situation work for too long. I have been so much more content with my new position with more potential for growth. I would tell perspective employees only to take a position there if you have to, and keep your resume up to date for the eventual lay-off/reduced hours. Keep you eye out for opportunities in the marketplace.

At this point, you have made your choice on the type of corporate culture. Don't be surprised if the employees complain or people leave.