AREVA

AREVA Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014

AREVA Président du directoire Luc Oursel

Luc Oursel

Lots of flexibility and opportunities.

Engineer IV (Current Employee)
    Lynchburg, VA

Prosdiverse opportunities, challenging projects, many unique customer challenges, safety and quality are held above all else, do the job right the first time.

Conslarge, slow changing company. can fall into a rut or be overlooked if not a self starter. Too many procedures, not enough documented processes.

Amazing work environment

Test Engineer (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsYou will grow fast if you got opportunity

ConsYou will be ignore if not active

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about employees and balance their work

"Senior Level" Admins Need Basic Software Training and "Retiring" Work Force

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsI am a current VP who has worked for AREVA for many years. I have seen the company at its best and at its worst. The money is good and the benefits are great.

ConsThere isn't that much communication between managers and employees. Senior level admins are not educated enough with current versions of software. Continuing to promote a retiring work force and a vast shortage of engineers is detrimental and displays a glaring generation gap for new and younger employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some new admins with relevant skills to today's business requirements and communicate more with direct reports. Pay attention to why people are leaving.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits and flexibility

ProsBenefit package
    Flex scheduling
    Casual atmosphere
    Work life balance

ConsSlightly lower pay than average
    Advancement opportunities for non engineers

change is the only constant - at super high velocity and I love it!

Proschallenging, no day is the same, very innovative notions

Consbeaurocratic, need to be allowed to operate regionally, one size does not fit all, it fits some.

Advice to Senior Managementget outside of your silos and understand the art and science of leadership

Great group of people

Product Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe people are wonderful to work with. Everyone wants to do an excellent job. Additionally there are numerous opportunities that for someone who needs a flexible work schedule.

ConsNot sure of what the future looks like. With the unlikely chance of selling a nuclear plant, the company may be limited to just servicing existing plants.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould love to see some future vision.

Sr Product Manager, Chemistry Services

I Was Let Go On A Disability (Former Employee)

ProsLimited nuclear services companies in the world.

ConsFrench management style was damaging at times.

love my job

Document Control Spec (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

Prosgreat place to work love my job

Consnone at all great place to work

AREVA has been an ok company

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Richland, WA

Prosgood exposure, opportunities to travel abroad, lots of ability to learn

Consdue to pay freezes over the past couple years they have fallen out of competition with the external market. Some management has been put into place when they do not have the education to back their positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and straight to your employees. Try to take the emotion out of decisions, this is a business.

Technology oriented multinational

Senior CHEMIST (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsI am working for a subsidiary of Areva named Areva Solar. As a result, I have a view on both Areva and Areva Solar.
    Areva is a large multinational which takes care of its employees. Their policy is to keep their talented workforce and as such they avoid layoffs as much as possible. They also promote internal training and allow mobility inside the company, between the different branches and countries. For example, several employees from France were given the opportunity to work for the USA branches in order to bring in their skill-sets.
    Areva is also very technology oriented and encourages people from different departments to submit their ideas for patent writing.
    Areva Solar is currently hesitating between different technology solutions. It is in transition phase between the start-up (ex Ausra) phase and the full Areva integration. As a result, there are a lot of possibilities for people willing to take on new challenges.

ConsAreva has the issues of most large corporations, namely excessive bureaucracy. They try to compound this by having a centralized help desk which is sometimes very efficient. However as certain organic decisions must sometimes be take in France, this can lead to frustrating delays. On the HR side, some decisions can seem unclear even though the firm prouds itself on its transparency.
    As mentioned previously, Areva Solar is in a transition phase. The downside of this is that certain strategic decisions are not thought through which results in the company going back and forth between various strategies. This leads to confusion of the workforce and eventually to loss of talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementAreva Solar should think its strategy through before jumping in with both feet. The market evolution over the next 10 years was only properly understood in the past few months. This needs to be properly mastered before taking important decisions.
    Taking on important projects which are not viable and without a proper cost analysis should also not happen again. This leads the company to hire contractors below market price and stresses the business relationships. This stress falls on the Areva Solar employees.

Worked for AREVA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AREVA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AREVA CEO Luc Oursel. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by AREVA employees.