ARHD

ARHD CEO Rich Rubenstein

Rich Rubenstein

Not your average company

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsWork from home; many different technologies; team is talented and knowledgable; majority of company employees are in technical positions so you have lots of resources; most people are hard-working and care about doing a good job, those that aren't/don't are usually weeded out fairly quickly (there are reports about everything - what time you log on/off your phone, how many calls you take/don't take, how long you talk on your phone, how many tickets you have open/closed, etc); company does fun things like picnics, bingo (numbers are drawn daily), football pool, basketball pool, holiday party; they try hard to keep everyone in the loop (on a need-to-know, of course); can take home office expenses off on your taxes (BGE, water bill, office furniture, PC, etc.)

ConsLots of stress - numerous changes that can be overwhelming, insanely fast pace at times, customers complain about any and everything

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep trying to be better. Sometimes it's not necessary to be so hard on employees. (When morale suffers, productivity declines.) Management should participate more in the "Atta boy/girl" feedback given. The customer is not always right.

Paranoia and Micromanagement runs rampant.

Senior Helpdesk Analyst (Former Employee) Eldersburg, MD

ProsYou get to work from home.

ConsAs you can see, Current Employees are still coerced ("strongly encouraged") to write glowing reviews.
    **Look at the reviews from people who are no longer with the company to discover the TRUTH!**
    Very sparse training for large, diverse client load. Micromanagement. A corporate culture of subterfuge, distrust, and insistence on lock-step compliance with oppressive levels of scrutiny. One Senior Member of management is a sociopath who would rather avoid personal interaction with his minions. He in particular makes many decisions behind the scenes, yet does so with second-hand or even hearsay information. Another Senior Member of leadership is essentially the "face" of the company, does a lot of PR and platitudinous pontification, empty glad-handing and smoke-blowing.
    This is a company that has gotten to that awkward stage, where they are too large to be run as a small business, but too small to have the efficiencies of scale. A complete structural re-org or enlisting the services a very savvy consultant who does a study and the recommendations are actually implemented is the only way this company would become a good place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP the culture of fear, distrust and intimidation.
    You are not hiring uneducated teens to flip hamburgers who need to be micro managed.
    You are hiring degreed and experienced professionals, riding herd on them, and leaning FAR too heavily on the ONE positive aspect of employment with ARHD (telecommuting). Learn to TRUST those you invest responsibility in, and ensure that those who rise to leadership levels (Managers, Team Leads) promote a culture of respect, trust, and learn to better - celebrate the successes on an individual, team, and company level. A complete structural re-org or a very savvy consultant who does a study and the recommendations are actually implemented is the only way this company would become a good place to work.

A Company that will be a force in the Future!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Eldersburg, MD

Pros- The family atmosphere
    - Internal career development
    - The "we" attitude vs the "I" attitude
    - Technical expertise of the technicians
    - People who care
    - Owners that care about their employees (some times too much)
    - A great challenge every day you come to work, it is not boring and stagnant
    - The ability to learn about all aspects on the technology spectrum
    - Above average pay for the position when you prove yourself
    - A new company bonus program based upon the health of the company.

ConsCan't think of any that come to mind - the company has transformed itself from a reactive to a proactive culture. ARHD continues to make it's internal and external clients very happy and very satisfied with it's services.

Advice to Senior Management- Continue down the path to having everyone involved in the decision making of the company. It is incredible how important it is to the CEO and CTO to solicit input from the people who are on the front lines. Other organizations just make decisions that affect the masses without soliciting feedback from its employees, not ARHD.
    - Continue to hire folks that fit the culture and have the technical capabilities to service it's clients.
    - Continue with the direction that ARHD has been going down for the last two years.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Proud To Be An America's Remote Helpdesk Employee!

Helpdesk Operations Manager (Current Employee) Eldersburg, MD

ProsWhen I 1st started my career, I quickly realized that I didn’t want to just be a number and collect a pay check. I wanted to be a part of something and grow on my talents. I gained a ton of experience in my journey to find ARHD but nothing seemed to really make me happy. And then, I found ARHD. I was immediately challenged and knew this was where I should be. I continue to learn every day and work with some of the best in the business! Is this job tough some days, YEAH! But isn’t that what makes people better and helps them grow? The owners and the employees of ARHD truly care about our clients and each other. I personally try to go above and beyond every day, not because I pushed to, but because I want to.

ConsARHD is not for everyone. The reality is that, with any career opportunity, it must match up with your goals in life for you to be happy. I have had the opportunity to work with some exceptional individuals and have gained so much both professionally and personally. Those that have decided to move on will always be appreciated for what they brought to the table and the difference they made within the company. It is like when a child leaves home, it is bittersweet, you want the best for them but selfishly wished that they didn’t have to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve and change. The only thing in life that doesn’t change, is change. WE CAN DO THIS!

ARHD (America's Remote Help Desk)- It's a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Eldersburg, MD

ProsFirst of all I would like to say how I am amazed at how one disgruntle employee could write so many reviews. ARHD hires and retains only high performing, quality employees.

PROS: Management at ARHD honestly cares about their employees. I have never worked at an organization that takes so much time and effort making sure everyone is happy. They send out anonymous questionnaires to get a pulse of the employees. Everything is very transparent and employees are invited to meetings - the good, the bad, the ugly. We know what is going on with the company. Rich & Josh are good guys that just want to make a living and do some good by their clients and employees.

Working at ARHD you feel like you are a part of a team. Rich & Josh are excited about what they have accomplished and the future of the company. Employee ideas are appreciated. I feel like I am appreciated everyday and I feel like I make a direct impact on the bottom line. I know that there is a lot of opportunity for growth. If you are a techie this is definitely the place to be. This isn’t for everyone because you will work hard but you will definitely not be bored.

As in other reviews, the CORE Values are taken very seriously at ARHD; Caring, Continuous Improvement, Focus, Proactive, Whatever it Takes. Even our conference rooms are named after our CORE Values as a daily reminder to us all.

ConsThere has been a lot of growth and changes. Sometimes with change comes some resistance. That is to be expected. Not everything is perfect and I am sure it will never be but at least upper management realizes that and is trying to make positive changes in a way that will be beneficial to everyone. Not everyone will be happy all of the time - that is life.

The interview process is long and sometimes tedious but again we only want the best of the best working here.

The pros definitely out way the cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it going! You guys are doing the right thing. Ignore the haters and focus on your current employees.

ARHD does care and is a good company

Help Desk Desk Analyst (Current Employee) Eldersburg, MD

ProsI am a seasoned employee. I have worked for companies large and small. No job\company is perfect, however, Rich and Josh really do care. It is about balance and keeping everyone working without too much risk.
    I read these reviews and I can tell you first hand, most of them are bogus and from basically the same person over and over again.
    There hasn't been 1 employee that has left this company after being here for 8 years. Anyone that has been here over 6 years is still with the company.
    I'm not going to lie, this is hard challenging work. If it weren't, I'd be bored and looking for something else. I work from home and I love it! Benefits aren't that great but that's not the companies fault.
    I am not in management. I was not asked to write this review. Frankly, I think anyone that reads disgruntled employee comments to make their decision on either doing business with a company or becoming an employee of a company should look within first. Those people are the ones that believe everything because they read it on the Internet.

ConsHealth care benefits cost too much for small businesses. It's not like it used to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make the right decisions to KEEP moving this company in a positive direction.

Unrealistic expectations and insanely high work load.

Grunt (Former Employee) Eldersburg, MD

ProsYou get to interact with many different companies and infrastructures that make every day different. Some good people work for this company.

ConsWhere to begin? My time with this company was tumultuous to say the least.

You start out with pretty awful training across the board. Once it's complete (essentially one week or so), you're thrown to the wolves.

There's very little direction from your managers. That being said, you literally have 8 of them. I felt like Peter Gibbons in Office Space:

"I have 8 different bosses right now."
    "Beg your pardon?"
    "8 bosses."
    "8?"
    "8, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have 8 different people coming by to tell me about it."

What's incredible to me is the weight that these bosses put on you. They all have requests and expectations and none of them communicate with each other on what they're expecting/asking of you. What transpires is that none of them understand the burden you're under and all expect their requests to be fulfilled without issue. If you explain it to them, they think that you're just lazy and/or incompetent. Just mind-boggling.

Also, you're expected to respond to emails at all hours of the night. If you don't, again, they assume that "you're not a team player" or that you're "lazy" and don't care about your job.

To sum up, be prepared for overwork and under-appreciation.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe rational with your expectations and understand that people have LIVES outside of ARHD. Just because someone isn't available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, doesn't make them bad employees.

Being let go was the best thing to happen to me.

Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a lot of people who I worked with who were genuinely good people.

ConsUnrealistic expectations. Management is completely disconnected so they have no idea who is REALLY doing all the work. I was let go from the company over a year ago. I had a team lead who was basically ripping off the company, but sitting at her desk doing nothing and getting bonuses for it. When I called it out, I was made out to be the bad guy. I was told I was needed in the office on Friday and not to worry about it, which is when they let me go. They waited 5 days to bring me in so they could train someone to take my place. Then I find out after they let me go, they realized I was the one doing all of the work, and the team lead was demoted, but I was never called back. There isnt enough money in the world that would EVER make me go back to work for this company. Run while you still can.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved with those working the late shift.

Better opportunities elsewhere...stay away!

Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) Eldersburg, MD

ProsI was provided the opportunity to work in many client environments and use some of the latest hardware and software technologies

ConsI will try to keep this review brief. My experience at ARHD was one that was filled with an abundance of stress, hostility and an extreme workload. Your life greatly improves the moment you leave, as stated in another review, is very accurate. This company expects you to make ARHD your life and when you can't work 12 hours a day, they make you feel like you did something wrong or say you are not a dedicated employee.

ARHD says they care about employees and their families. However, what they did to me in May of 2013 says otherwise. My grandmother died on May 25, 2013. I needed to take a day off for travel to attend the services. Management proceeded to say that someone else was already off that day and they asked if my grandmother's memorial service could be rescheduled. What kind of organization asks if a memorial service can be rescheduled???

I made sure to call the human resource person to let him/her know what happened. This was also documented in my exit interview paperwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart practicing your the core values that you expect from your employees.

It's an exciting time at ARHD!

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) Eldersburg, MD

ProsWOW! It's been an exciting time at ARHD over the past few years. We've grown from 24 employees in 2010 to 56 as we move into 2014. Along the way we've been recognized as one of Baltimore's Fastest Growing Companies and Best Places to Work. It hasn't always been easy, growth never is. We've made many changes to ARHD's business structure and how we deliver services to our clients. Change always comes with a price - agility, effort, uneasiness and to an extent uncertainty. It's demanding and takes resiliency, focus and belief.

We appreciate our employees who have embraced the changes and believe in our future direction. Some have decided ARHD is not the place for them and that's okay too.

We look forward to realizing the benefits of the changes we have made over the past few years and strive to make a positive difference in our clients' and employees' lives.

ConsFast paced environment but you will continue to learn & grow in your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate company updates to the employees.
    Continue implementing changes based on feedback you receive from employees.

Worked for ARHD? Contribute to the Community!