ARINC

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014

ARINC Chairman and CEO John M. Belcher
John M. Belcher

Pros
  • Encourages Work/Life Balance with Alternate Work Schedule (if manager approves) (in 8 reviews)

• For the most part people are friendly (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management at this company - if you want to call them that, is a complete clown show (in 4 reviews)

• If you're in the wrong career area, career advancement can be stagnant and discouraging (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great training ground for early career engineers and professionals

Former Employee - Recruiter in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great location

Cons

Was Privately held, focused on selling the business.

Fight to recruit top talent and pay for it.

"Good Job, but sometimes crazy politics"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The majority of people I have worked with are extremely bright and very personable. The benefits are actually pretty good there compared to most places I've worked.

Cons

The management has shown favoritism in certain cases. The are a lot of office politics as well.

I think management should involve some of the lower level employees in there decision making more often.

Couldn't wait to get out

I worked at ARINC full-time

Pros

Good benefits (health insurance, 401k contribution, etc.). Easy to bond with coworkers since everybody hated their job as much as I did.

Cons

Only way to advance is brown-nosing. Limited raise potential. Punitive company culture with limited recognition for accomplishments.

Listen to suggestions made by your employees - even those that have only been there for a short period of time. If turnover is astronomical, it should be a clue that you need to change the way you treat your employees.

Great work environment, people are friendly.

I worked at ARINC full-time

Pros

The company was recently purchased by Rockwell Collins. The senior management has made some welcome changes to benefits and the bonus program.

Cons

Communication between departments could be better. The buildings are in need of remodeling. Overall not too much to complain about.

Keep it up.

I loved working for ARINC

Former Employee - Program Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The mission was important, the work significant, and opportunities to try different departments was encouraged.

Cons

The sense of community that existed dissipated with the many lay-offs.

A good experience so far barring management incompetence and too much process oriented culture.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at ARINC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Teams are generally very supportive. For any technical or aviation related questions there are a lot of people who are happy to help and answer any question.
    2. As a software developer one learns a lot about aviation and how to solve aviation problems. A lot of thought goes behind any product and software developers are an integral part of that. In essence, a software developer's work is greatly appreciated.
    3. Developers are allowed to spend 20% of their time every week on interesting projects which they feel can be important to the company.

Cons

1. Management doesn't bother to solve the problems faced by the teams many times. Sometimes the problems are not addressed in time and hence leads to low morale and exodus of talented engineers.
    2. The environment in some of the company's divisions is structured around military values and hence there is less flexibility and transparency. Suggestions by some of the young employees aren't always implemented or considered. Major areas include no jeans policy(strict dress code), no gym facilities/game rooms(for recreation) etc.
    3. There's too much process oriented culture which makes it harder and longer to implement good projects. Because of this it leads to frustration in the team and competitive advantage is lost.

Introduce some measures which leads to better work culture such as gym facilities, flexible time and dress code policy. Listen to the problems of the employees which will help in talent retention.

Great staff, poor leadership from vps & CEO

Former Employee - Department Director in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Department Director in Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to get exposure to latest technology. Has okay benefits. A good stepping stone to a better opportunity.

Cons

Constant infighting among higher level executives. Not truthful about future of company to employees.

Youn would not listen if I gave it.

Maybe RC will make it better - but it does not look like it will happen anytime soon

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at ARINC as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Nice location and still some very good people remain
    Some areas have exciting projects
    Alternate work schedule (AWS) to get every other Friday off
    decent pay for the area

Cons

Too many to list......
    cash sucked out by by Carlyle
    morale very low
    too many employees making more than their market value (as new employee you will be frustrated by this)
    everyone in a wait and see approach for what Rockwell Collins will do, so no one working
    AWS abused to the point no work happens on Fridays
    service/products, having had no capital investment the past 6yrs, are suffering.

get out - take your 'parachutes' and go
    give back to the world and stop gaining at the expense of others.

Sell Out

Former Employee - Senior Director in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job, and in this day and age, that's important

Cons

Toxic environment where the good old boys are just waiting for the company sale and their chance to cash out. Senior management at this company - if you want to call them that, is a complete clown show. This is the most poorly managed large company I have ever been associated with. Everything has been reduced to money today, and the future and the employees have been mortgaged for the gain of the few at the top. Meanwhile, projects and departments are going to hell and they are trying to hold things together until they can sell the company and unload the shambles of this turd on the next guy. At that point the clean-up and rehabilitation will hopefully begin. Just about anyone worth their salt has left or is trying to leave. My advice would be to stay away until the situation is clearer once the new owner is announced. Then things can get better or worse.

Move on, you owe your employees better. Let someone come in that actually cares about the people and the future of the business.

It's time for some management changes

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) Commuting can be very pleasant if you live on this side of MD. Some departments are better to work in. At least so I'm told.

2) Flexible hours. Alternative Work Schedule (AWS)

Cons

ARINC is currently waiting for a buyer, and it seems like the only employees that are hanging around are the ones that were just hired and/or the ones that still draw a pension. Here is what I observed in my time there:

1) Nepotism - : favoritism (as in appointment to a job) based on kinship
    This is ramped at ARINC. You will most likely not have a good career advancement due to this practice. Many employees (family members) are getting positions they are not qualified for. It has completely undermined the moral.

2) Signs of Corporate Pathology? - I've found that many (expensive) decisions are made based on private personal agendas no matter if it's good for the company or not. In my department as an example, the clients weren't even consulted on buy in for major changes to make sure they were ok with the ongoing cost.

3) Work Place Diversity - I also noticed there are VERY FEW minorities in leadership roles. I have not seen this to this extent in other work environments. I just thought it might be worth mentioning.

4) No Management Meetings - The employees NEVER get updates with management on what's going on. No management meetings with the employees, performance goals and bonus have diminished to non-existent for those that are on the front line and are reserved for the middle to upper managers.

5) Uneven Workload - I frequently ran into situations where there is one employee that is doing the majority of the work in their departments. When that employee is out, there are severe gaps in the productivity due to the single threaded nature of the organization.

6) Frequent re-organizations - It seems to be about 1 to 2 re-orgs per year. The entire department anxiously awaits to see who your new boss will be for that part of the year to see how your ongoing projects are affected.

Properly train the staff OR hire competent managers to lead the organization's department. I'd most likely favor the latter. Stop the nepotism. It's really tearing the company apart. It's no secret that investing in good people will take the company further in the long run. ARINC seems to not understand that, or just plain doesn't care anymore! Many of the CONS has grown from inexperienced management.