ARINC

ARINC Chairman and CEO John M. Belcher

John M. Belcher

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I loved working for ARINC

Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at ARINC full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe mission was important, the work significant, and opportunities to try different departments was encouraged.

ConsThe sense of community that existed dissipated with the many lay-offs.

A good experience so far barring management incompetence and too much process oriented culture.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ARINC full-time for more than a year

Pros1. Teams are generally very supportive. For any technical or aviation related questions there are a lot of people who are happy to help and answer any question.
2. As a software developer one learns a lot about aviation and how to solve aviation problems. A lot of thought goes behind any product and software developers are an integral part of that. In essence, a software developer's work is greatly appreciated.
3. Developers are allowed to spend 20% of their time every week on interesting projects which they feel can be important to the company.

Cons1. Management doesn't bother to solve the problems faced by the teams many times. Sometimes the problems are not addressed in time and hence leads to low morale and exodus of talented engineers.
2. The environment in some of the company's divisions is structured around military values and hence there is less flexibility and transparency. Suggestions by some of the young employees aren't always implemented or considered. Major areas include no jeans policy(strict dress code), no gym facilities/game rooms(for recreation) etc.
3. There's too much process oriented culture which makes it harder and longer to implement good projects. Because of this it leads to frustration in the team and competitive advantage is lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntroduce some measures which leads to better work culture such as gym facilities, flexible time and dress code policy. Listen to the problems of the employees which will help in talent retention.

Great staff, poor leadership from vps & CEO

Department Director (Former Employee)

I worked at ARINC full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood place to get exposure to latest technology. Has okay benefits. A good stepping stone to a better opportunity.

ConsConstant infighting among higher level executives. Not truthful about future of company to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYoun would not listen if I gave it.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Maybe RC will make it better - but it does not look like it will happen anytime soon

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Annapolis, MD

I have been working at ARINC as a contractor for more than a year

ProsNice location and still some very good people remain
Some areas have exciting projects
Alternate work schedule (AWS) to get every other Friday off
decent pay for the area

ConsToo many to list......
cash sucked out by by Carlyle
morale very low
too many employees making more than their market value (as new employee you will be frustrated by this)
everyone in a wait and see approach for what Rockwell Collins will do, so no one working
AWS abused to the point no work happens on Fridays
service/products, having had no capital investment the past 6yrs, are suffering.

Advice to Senior Managementget out - take your 'parachutes' and go
give back to the world and stop gaining at the expense of others.

Sell Out

Senior Director (Former Employee)

I worked at ARINC full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt's a job, and in this day and age, that's important

ConsToxic environment where the good old boys are just waiting for the company sale and their chance to cash out. Senior management at this company - if you want to call them that, is a complete clown show. This is the most poorly managed large company I have ever been associated with. Everything has been reduced to money today, and the future and the employees have been mortgaged for the gain of the few at the top. Meanwhile, projects and departments are going to hell and they are trying to hold things together until they can sell the company and unload the shambles of this turd on the next guy. At that point the clean-up and rehabilitation will hopefully begin. Just about anyone worth their salt has left or is trying to leave. My advice would be to stay away until the situation is clearer once the new owner is announced. Then things can get better or worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove on, you owe your employees better. Let someone come in that actually cares about the people and the future of the business.

It's time for some management changes

Principal Engineer (Former Employee)
Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time for more than a year

Pros1) Commuting can be very pleasant if you live on this side of MD. Some departments are better to work in. At least so I'm told.

2) Flexible hours. Alternative Work Schedule (AWS)

ConsARINC is currently waiting for a buyer, and it seems like the only employees that are hanging around are the ones that were just hired and/or the ones that still draw a pension. Here is what I observed in my time there:

1) Nepotism - : favoritism (as in appointment to a job) based on kinship
This is ramped at ARINC. You will most likely not have a good career advancement due to this practice. Many employees (family members) are getting positions they are not qualified for. It has completely undermined the moral.

2) Signs of Corporate Pathology? - I've found that many (expensive) decisions are made based on private personal agendas no matter if it's good for the company or not. In my department as an example, the clients weren't even consulted on buy in for major changes to make sure they were ok with the ongoing cost.

3) Work Place Diversity - I also noticed there are VERY FEW minorities in leadership roles. I have not seen this to this extent in other work environments. I just thought it might be worth mentioning.

4) No Management Meetings - The employees NEVER get updates with management on what's going on. No management meetings with the employees, performance goals and bonus have diminished to non-existent for those that are on the front line and are reserved for the middle to upper managers.

5) Uneven Workload - I frequently ran into situations where there is one employee that is doing the majority of the work in their departments. When that employee is out, there are severe gaps in the productivity due to the single threaded nature of the organization.

6) Frequent re-organizations - It seems to be about 1 to 2 re-orgs per year. The entire department anxiously awaits to see who your new boss will be for that part of the year to see how your ongoing projects are affected.

Advice to Senior ManagementProperly train the staff OR hire competent managers to lead the organization's department. I'd most likely favor the latter. Stop the nepotism. It's really tearing the company apart. It's no secret that investing in good people will take the company further in the long run. ARINC seems to not understand that, or just plain doesn't care anymore! Many of the CONS has grown from inexperienced management.

Good company but too much in jeopardy with Carlysle trying to sell company off

Network Operations Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at ARINC full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunity for growth if you push for it. Other than that management is not worried about it. Raises other than annual cost of living increase dont even come with out asking.

ConsCompensation is terrible even for internal employees looking to grow.

Going Downhill

I have been working at ARINC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Promotes Diversity
-Encourages Work/Life Balance with Alternate Work Schedule (if manager approves). Which allows you to work longer days and have every other Friday off
-Flexible start time

Cons-Company is up for sale so future is unknown
-Layoffs have occurred in the past year
-Employee Holiday party cancelled
-Benefits used to be good but not anymore
-Advancement based on who you know

Pretty much like any company

Principal Engineer (Current Employee)
Annapolis, MD

I have been working at ARINC

ProsGood interesting work with good technology. You do feel you make a difference

ConsLike all companies, there is politics, cliques, premadonas, butt kissers, brown nosers, rebels and ignorant sheep. However money is the bottom line. Since the Carlyle take over, morale has plumented. There is barely discernable investment in technology advancement or career expansion. Most employees spend the majority of their time finding policy loopholes to get out of work and leave early, especially fridays. The every-other-friday off work schedule is badly abused. Everyone is scared to death to correct a female employee or minority employee. However others are quickly 'written up". The work ethic is to do as little as possible and pass off work to others. Business trips are scheduled to maximize 'off-time' and party/drinking stories abound. Senior management is fixated on "dont spend money" mantra. Any requests for funds are met with pained expressions as if you just inserted an ice water enema tube. Promotions are given to the popular and the hottest unqualified females. Peyton place scenarios abound as extra marital affairs seem to be the norm and are seemingly rewarded by top management. At least twice a week employees can be found 'gettin their grove on' in the company parking lot. CTS treats employees needs as if they are hackers. The opening of the tech employment market will create a massive vacuum inside the facility as their will be a stampede for the doors. Pay is good to start, but raises have been less than COLA for last 4 years, despite the "all is great" reports from the CEO. For a communications company, there seems to be very little of it internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend money on product advancements and people. Treat customers with respect and dont let problems fester. Be proactive and listen to your people who are doing the heavy lifting. Visit their cubicals and let them know they matter. Fire any middle manager that rebukes an employee that speaks to a senior staffer. Communicate more often and truthfully to the employees.

Interesting work but occasionally egos drive technical decisions.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ARINC

ProsMostly interesting technical work and projects. Good facilities and nice people working at the company. Great company location if you live in Annapolis.

ConsPolitical infighting and cliques sometimes interfere with technical decisions. If you run out of work then you are let go if you can't get something lined up quickly. Tenure and performance don't factor into the decision of cutting people. Creates atmosphere of uncertainty and lowers morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on supporting people doing the technical work and not on looking good to upper management. Work to keep best people on board, not just people who keep busy.

Worked for ARINC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ARINC reviews and ratings in Annapolis, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ARINC CEO John M. Belcher. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by ARINC employees.