ARINC

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014

ARINC Chairman and CEO John M. Belcher
John M. Belcher

Pros
  • Encourages Work/Life Balance with Alternate Work Schedule (if manager approves) (in 8 reviews)

• For the most part people are friendly (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management at this company - if you want to call them that, is a complete clown show (in 4 reviews)

• If you're in the wrong career area, career advancement can be stagnant and discouraging (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Maybe RC will make it better - but it does not look like it will happen anytime soon

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at ARINC as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Nice location and still some very good people remain
    Some areas have exciting projects
    Alternate work schedule (AWS) to get every other Friday off
    decent pay for the area

Cons

Too many to list......
    cash sucked out by by Carlyle
    morale very low
    too many employees making more than their market value (as new employee you will be frustrated by this)
    everyone in a wait and see approach for what Rockwell Collins will do, so no one working
    AWS abused to the point no work happens on Fridays
    service/products, having had no capital investment the past 6yrs, are suffering.

get out - take your 'parachutes' and go
    give back to the world and stop gaining at the expense of others.

Sr. Staff Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer

I have been working at ARINC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The majority of people I have worked with are extremely bright and very personable. The benefits are actually pretty good here compared to other places I have worked. Management is pretty flexible with taking time off.

Cons

The company was purchased by a company who has sold off a portion of the company and is planning to sell the remaining portion very soon. They have squeezed the company dry and have not invested anything. There is an air of uncertainty about the future at the time I am writing this review.

Management needs to better communicate with its employees. I should not have to find out about the important changes via word of mouth from other employees. Even my direct supervisor is kept in the dark about many things.

Sell Out

Former Employee - Senior Director in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job, and in this day and age, that's important

Cons

Toxic environment where the good old boys are just waiting for the company sale and their chance to cash out. Senior management at this company - if you want to call them that, is a complete clown show. This is the most poorly managed large company I have ever been associated with. Everything has been reduced to money today, and the future and the employees have been mortgaged for the gain of the few at the top. Meanwhile, projects and departments are going to hell and they are trying to hold things together until they can sell the company and unload the shambles of this turd on the next guy. At that point the clean-up and rehabilitation will hopefully begin. Just about anyone worth their salt has left or is trying to leave. My advice would be to stay away until the situation is clearer once the new owner is announced. Then things can get better or worse.

Move on, you owe your employees better. Let someone come in that actually cares about the people and the future of the business.

Great place to work with

I worked at ARINC

Pros

It is a nice place to work. There are different departments in the firm which serve clients from different industries and you have more options available (if there is an opening)

Cons

Some wonderful directors and managers have moved on or are almost retirement age.

Great Place To Work!

I have been working at ARINC

Pros

Great atmosphere, coworkers, hours, and benefits!

Cons

Nothing to complain about now.

Keep up the good work

Executive management disgraceful

Former Employee - Senior Director
    Former Employee - Senior Director

I worked at ARINC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- 70+ year history of corporate pride and accomplishment (except for last several)
    - Career diversity and some great employees still remaining

Cons

- Executive management unethical and motivated only by self interest.
    - Catastrophic loss of 10+ year employees last several years and steep decline in business and moral
    - Nepotism throughout upper management
    - Many of the strongest leaders and leadership candidates no longer with company
    - Future unknown as company needs to rebuild from the top down

Retire!

It's time for some management changes

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) Commuting can be very pleasant if you live on this side of MD. Some departments are better to work in. At least so I'm told.

2) Flexible hours. Alternative Work Schedule (AWS)

Cons

ARINC is currently waiting for a buyer, and it seems like the only employees that are hanging around are the ones that were just hired and/or the ones that still draw a pension. Here is what I observed in my time there:

1) Nepotism - : favoritism (as in appointment to a job) based on kinship
    This is ramped at ARINC. You will most likely not have a good career advancement due to this practice. Many employees (family members) are getting positions they are not qualified for. It has completely undermined the moral.

2) Signs of Corporate Pathology? - I've found that many (expensive) decisions are made based on private personal agendas no matter if it's good for the company or not. In my department as an example, the clients weren't even consulted on buy in for major changes to make sure they were ok with the ongoing cost.

3) Work Place Diversity - I also noticed there are VERY FEW minorities in leadership roles. I have not seen this to this extent in other work environments. I just thought it might be worth mentioning.

4) No Management Meetings - The employees NEVER get updates with management on what's going on. No management meetings with the employees, performance goals and bonus have diminished to non-existent for those that are on the front line and are reserved for the middle to upper managers.

5) Uneven Workload - I frequently ran into situations where there is one employee that is doing the majority of the work in their departments. When that employee is out, there are severe gaps in the productivity due to the single threaded nature of the organization.

6) Frequent re-organizations - It seems to be about 1 to 2 re-orgs per year. The entire department anxiously awaits to see who your new boss will be for that part of the year to see how your ongoing projects are affected.

Properly train the staff OR hire competent managers to lead the organization's department. I'd most likely favor the latter. Stop the nepotism. It's really tearing the company apart. It's no secret that investing in good people will take the company further in the long run. ARINC seems to not understand that, or just plain doesn't care anymore! Many of the CONS has grown from inexperienced management.

Good company.

I have been working at ARINC full-time

Pros

Room for growth if you are willing to work for it. Many very good, caring, and kind people work here.

Cons

Large variance between senior leaders in different areas. Like any place else, some senior leaders cannot make decisions and are very poor leaders but some are excellent.

Great workers, executive leadership poor.

I worked at ARINC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a great company that treated employees well until The Carlye Group purchased the company and it went down hill from there.

Cons

Executive leadership is very poor and is not honest with employees. There is no strategic outlook and the focus is EBIT and cash for stakeholders.

Sell the company as fast as you can

Interview process and work experience

I worked at ARINC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ARINC compensates their employees well.

Cons

Management does with hold very important information from their employees.

Be more upfront with your employees.