ARM Holdings
www.arm.com Cambridge, United Kingdom 1000 to 5000 Employees

ARM Holdings Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Simon Segars

Pros:
  • "A well designed work life balance and trusts the employees to do their job"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Excellent benefits and work environment"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "It has lost a lot of its small company startup appeal"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Poor senior management in PD in india"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pleasant

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent benefits and work environment

ConsWork life balance could be an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementLong term planning & goals for employees

Great place to start your career...

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at ARM Holdings as an intern for less than a year

ProsCompany works in latest technology, so lot of stuff to learn with the experience people there.
Work environment is friendly and encouraging...
Companies market is in fast growth phase...

Consnothing much except for their limited infrastructure.

excellent but...

Unspecified (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than a year

Prosvery successful in all aspects, design innovation, customer infrastructure support, plenty more

how do you not recommend this co. to a friend. It is a train, can not be stopped, at the moment.

Consmany friends ask what we are doing different, to them we are walking text book OOE pipeline same as those that came before, intel, sparc, mips, etc. In their view eventually we look like pentium 4.

penny pinchers: two monitor maximum, your lap top counts as one, lol

IT infrastructure is awful, unable to connect to LSF, still using eXceed (not kidding), some attributable to fast growth, mostly not.

Big company infrastructure overhead without the benefits: SAP, time sheets, IT ticket system (file a ticket, get ignored, call your buddy in IT, get it fixed, pure hell when you are trying to hit schedule commits)

Great place to work, but.....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ARM Holdings full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMarket leader - innovative products. Interesting and smart people. Good salary and compensation structure. Good work/life balance. Having an ARM business card opens doors. Executives easily accessible.

ConsSmall company, but getting a big company bureaucracy. Best and brightest not always retained or promoted if bringing viewpoints contrary to what is wanted to be heard.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture is changing in the US. Remember what got you here - don't lose that. Don't read your own headlines about how great you are. Or at least, don't believe them. Continue to innovate - continue to dig for the best, and find those bright minds and listen to those crazy ideas - from wherever they may come.

Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ARM Holdings full-time

ProsGreat company with some amazing people and technology.

ConsNo, this is a great company!!

Amazing career opportunity

Design Engineer (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at ARM Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsYou have a chance to work on cutting edge technology
Best benefits and compensation
small company relative to other semiconductor companies

ConsI did not find any cons

ARM... how I will not miss you!

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time

ProsFlexible scheduling
Casual work environment
Happy hours during business hours
Amazing benefits - free medical/dental/vision, awesome 401K match, great RSU grants, and great bonus plan
Decent salary

ConsSome unfriendliness; if you aren't a seasoned employee, they treat you like an outsider
Not very thorough training, if you even receive any
If are low on the totem poll, you feel it
Don't offer coaching/counseling; if you're having problems, they just fire you
If you're not in the UK (HQ), you don't get all of the perks

Advice to Senior ManagementMake time to meet and listen to the "little people"; don't rely solely on middle-management to report how the team is doing.

Best place to work for interns

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at ARM Holdings as an intern for less than a year

ProsVery encouraging environment, support out of box thinking, most importantly it is a fast pace growing company, small teams = larger responsibility, more holidays :P

ConsNothing really I can mention being an intern! Max I can say is it should have been a product based company. It makes a lot of profit with just IP's.

Advice to Senior ManagementWaiting to see ARM as a product based company.

Great company if you work in CPU group

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsARM CPUs are in just about every mobile device. Very interesting work in cutting edge processes. Great growth potential, great benefits, great stock RSUs, lots of vacation, and extra European holidays.

ConsUnfortunately I worked in the PIPD (Physical IP Div) which was formerly Artisan. Management realized they made a mistake buying it but couldn't admit it. They finally sold my group to another company.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on CPUs but don't compare the other business units to it regarding profit margins.

ARM was a friendly, supportive and professional place to work.

Product Usage Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at ARM Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsARM is a very balanced company in many ways. ARM has grown to be a mid-sized company, but retains the spirit and flexibility usually associated with start-ups. Upper management changed the structure of the business several times while I was there without replacing all the executives. This was done not in desperation, but to meet the needs of the changing economy by putting people in the best places to keep the company moving forward. It weathered the downturn better than most companies thanks to that kind of agility. The atmosphere is professional, but the doors to the VP's offices were most often open and they invited interaction. A look around the office any time would show signs of the company's fun side. Employees had a lot of latitude to get creative when celebrating holidays from around the world or engaging in spirited contests. Work-life balance is valued at ARM even while hard work is expected. The benefits package is generous in my opinion. I would recommend ARM highly as a great place to work.

ConsBeing a British owned company, ARM sometimes had difficulty bridging the gap between British and American business cultures. On several occasions upper management insisted upon doing things in the US offices the same way they do it in Cambridge when it didn't make sense or wasn't necessary. These kinds of decisions were met with grumbles which took a toll on morale. Upper management's loyalty to other management staff was admirable, but had a down side. They held on to people who were not a good fit for their positions which caused some very good people to leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is to keep on working to place everyone in the best position to use their talents to the full, and to be sensitive to the needs of the US employees.

Worked for ARM Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ARM Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ARM Holdings CEO Simon Segars. All 98 reviews posted anonymously by ARM Holdings employees.