ARM Holdings

Updated February 20, 2015
4.1

ARM Holdings Chief Executive Officer Simon Segars
Simon Segars

Pros
  • A well designed work life balance and trusts the employees to do their job (in 16 reviews)

• Really smart people to work with, high learning scope for interns (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing up and getting far more corporate, with less emphasis on getting the job done vs (in 6 reviews)

• It has lost a lot of its small company startup appeal (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Great, growing technology business

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at ARM Holdings

Pros

Strong people focus - developing individuals and teams
    Leadership - strong vision for continued, sustainable growth
    Smart people to work with
    Challenge in role
    Flexible work-life balance (truly!)
    Working in UK HQ

Cons

Growing campus - some teams currently offsite pending new office space

Jan 26, 2015Social Recruiting Manager

Thanks for leaving a review!

We're growing rapidly these days, so we are definitely working on trying to expand our office real estate as much and as quickly as possible!

-Rick C.
    Social
    ... More

Land of opportunities

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at ARM Holdings

Pros

ARM owns and sets the standard for the ARM Architecture as well as the AMBA bus interface specifications which are used by many other companies. I really enjoy working on products that are using future versions of these specifications and having the opportunity to feed in enhancements to the specifications before they are made public.

I am constantly amazed at how well everyone works together - designers, verification engineers, management, etc. There is very little by the way of politics. Allows us to focus on the fun engineering work.

ARM's IT infrastructure is continuing to grow and helps ensure we have the right tools to do the job.

Cons

ARM is growing in terms of employee numbers as well as quantity of concurrent projects. This is causing a shift from a fairly flat, well connected, organization to one that is slightly more focussed/hierarchical in nature.

World Leader

I worked at ARM Holdings

Pros

You'll touch almost every player in consumer electronics, from the silicon provider to the OEM to the apps players.

Cons

Some conflict re British mentality vs US mentality.

Great exec leadership but middle mgmt not empowered much at all.

Great place to work

I have been working at ARM Holdings

Pros

Good culture, great colleagues, challenging work, wonderful benefits

Cons

I am yet to encounter a con!

Jan 13, 2015Social Recruiting Manager

Thanks for leaving a review!

Design Engineer

Current Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

For my case, very reluctant to even providing rental car for temporary use after relocation.

Hold 1:1s regularly

Jan 13, 2015Social Recruiting Manager

Thanks for leaving a review. We do have the ARM Annual Employee Survey coming up soon, so make sure to leave your anonymous feedback there as well, so we can address any concerns you may have ... More

Start-up Atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Open door policy with upper management, start-up atmosphere allows room for growth and creativity, great benefits and plenty of PTO, good size gym in office, on-site and off-site activities

Cons

ARM is a worldwide company which means there are occasional early and late meetings with the UK and APAC. Staff is a bit short makes it hard to execute full potential on everything.

A unique company in the industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture, everybody believes in ARM and wants it succeed. Engineers given freedom to innovate. Fantastic work/life balance, with great benefits, tons of vacation, and a sabbatical.

Cons

IT is second-rate for a company of this size. Terrible support, reliability, equipment, budgets.
    New CEO is bringing some of what is bad in other tech companies into ARM - major reorgs, trying to force common methodologies, penny-pinching.

Don't forget what made ARM so unique and fun to work at.
    Invest in proper IT and give engineers the best tools available to do their job.

Great place to work. Relevant technology. Opportunity to move up. Extremely customer focused which makes me feel good about the future.

Current Employee - Principal Design Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like my boss. Interesting problems to solve. Pay is good IMO. Suggestions and ideas are welcomed and you feel you are contributing

Cons

Depending on the project/customer hours can be long. Dealing with other design centers is not always smooth, but an interesting experience nonetheless.

I feel management is doing well at the personal level. We had staffing issues (not enough people) in the past and they have responded. At the macro business level I don't think I'm qualified to know if they are doing a good job, but I do know they are very cognizant of keeping our top position as well as trying to grow the markets we are in.

Great place to work with awesome staff and benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is an interesting blend between serious and fun, with everyone here super smart.. It's very much a "work hard, play hard" type group here in the office. YMMV regarding working remotely, but my director is quite accommodating and flexible in this regard.

Cons

There's only one way in or out of the building/area in the Austin office, and not a lot of food options unless you want to drive at least 5-10 minutes. We do have food trucks and group orders from local eateries, but it's pretty much the same thing every week then.

Excellent company. Great benefits, a lot of growth opportunites and the chance to make a real difference in Technology

I worked at ARM Holdings full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is a true technology enabler. Their business model and products are all focused on providing chip designs, tools and software that equip a broad ecosystem of partners to build innovative consumer devices. The company is very collaborative, intelligent and innovative. You have the chance to influence the direction of technology. Strong team spirit and a broad array of expertise amongst all employees.

Cons

It is all about contributing and delivering on time. You are measured on what you bring to the game and once you get involved in something you have to follow through and deliver. Everything is controlled by the Exec Mgt in Cambridge. At times it can be frustrating. Long hours and the expectation that you are available 24/7