ARM Holdings Reviews

159 reviews filtered by
4.0
ARM Holdings Chief Executive Officer Simon Segars
Simon Segars

Pros
  • A well designed work life balance and trusts the employees to do their job (in 16 reviews)

• Really smart people to work with, high learning scope for interns (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing up and getting far more corporate, with less emphasis on getting the job done vs (in 6 reviews)

• It has lost a lot of its small company startup appeal (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Outstanding place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

ARM is uniquely positioned in the industry to provide technologies that underpin nearly every exciting new market in the electronics industry. ARM technologies are used in mobile phones, tablets, TV, set top box, enterprise networking, servers, cars, smart embedded devices and a myriad of others. Even if you don't know the ARM name, dozens of your favorite electronic devices are powered by ARM technology via our extensive network of silicon partners who incorporate our designs into their chips and systems.

As a company, ARM has a culture of collaboration, innovation, a commitment to diversity, and a passion for progress. I cannot imagine a company I'd like to work for more than ARM. We have offices all around the world, allowing us to offer opportunities in many of the major technology hubs. We are committed to leading our industry and have leaders in many fields among our staff.

Cons

There is little down side to ARM as I see it. We all work hard, but we do it as a team and the results show for it.

Good benefits but some teams have to be avoided.

Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at ARM Holdings

Pros

Arm spends a lot of effort to make people believe it is a great company to work for ......, and it is true when talking about benefits, many people enjoy it.

Cons

Working in the IP division is not a good idea though.Too much politic with the company growing, more and more management positions and less "working engineers". Inverted pyramid. Dictatorship from the 2 gurus will prevent any innovation and get you fired if you dare questioning.

Advice to Management

Dare challenging you main leads, and don't allow failure from their decisions. Find a way to get the truth from workers about high level management, today no one tells the truth as they are all scared ( at least in Austin IP group).

Mar 30, 2015Social Recruiting Manager

Thanks for leaving a review, as well as your advice.

Our Annual ARM Employee Engagement survey, which is anonymous, is one option for employees to provide feedback or raise any concerns they may
    ... More

Great work-life balance, competitive pay, global mindset, small player with big impact

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- If you've worked elsewhere in Silicon Valley, you'll know work-life balance is non-existent. At ARM, it is very different. Lots of opportunities to take time off and people are generally understanding about flexible work hours
    - Promotions on merit and not tenure
    - Global mindset when executing policies and projects - they make a conscious effort to be globally inclusive
    - Exciting work! We are everywhere!

Cons

- Too much consensus driven - sometimes, you just gotta make a decision and move on to the next thing!
    - growing pains of transitioning to a bigger company
    - Be more competitive with bonus structure, last year's bonus was pittance compared to our growth and profits!
    - Too many long-timers who are not open to change and fresh ways of doing things.

Advice to Management

Focus more on connecting with the people on the ground, be more competitive with pay and bonuses

Mar 30, 2015Social Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your review.

Do you have any specific ideas/feedback on ways to connect with people on the ground? We do various conferences throughout the year, including Big Picture, Global Graduate
    ... More

5. Land of opportunities

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at ARM Holdings

Pros

ARM owns and sets the standard for the ARM Architecture as well as the AMBA bus interface specifications which are used by many other companies. I really enjoy working on products that are using future versions of these specifications and having the opportunity to feed in enhancements to the specifications before they are made public.

I am constantly amazed at how well everyone works together - designers, verification engineers, management, etc. There is very little by the way of politics. Allows us to focus on the fun engineering work.

ARM's IT infrastructure is continuing to grow and helps ensure we have the right tools to do the job.

Cons

ARM is growing in terms of employee numbers as well as quantity of concurrent projects. This is causing a shift from a fairly flat, well connected, organization to one that is slightly more focussed/hierarchical in nature.

6. Working at Physical IP division at ARM in San Jose.
    Work hard, Hard work, Lots of challenges, People skills are a must.

I worked at ARM Holdings

Pros

Sky is the limit to mold this division, though one has to take risks, be vocal and assertive. Opportunities need to be grabbed as and when they come. Compensation is best in the industry, though work experience wise can be limiting

Cons

Loudest person is often the winner. Perception is everything. Very few people want to look at the issues qualitatively-quantitatively. Life of a software person is tough. You are a fish out side water.

Advice to Management

Try to look through the smoke and cloud created. You have some of the best people working in the team. Take care of them. They are very hardworking and always think about the company success.

7. World Leader

I worked at ARM Holdings

Pros

You'll touch almost every player in consumer electronics, from the silicon provider to the OEM to the apps players.

Cons

Some conflict re British mentality vs US mentality.

Advice to Management

Great exec leadership but middle mgmt not empowered much at all.

8. Great place to work

I have been working at ARM Holdings

Pros

Good culture, great colleagues, challenging work, wonderful benefits

Cons

I am yet to encounter a con!

Jan 13, 2015Social Recruiting Manager

Thanks for leaving a review!

9. Design Engineer

Current Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

For my case, very reluctant to even providing rental car for temporary use after relocation.

Advice to Management

Hold 1:1s regularly

Jan 13, 2015Social Recruiting Manager

Thanks for leaving a review. We do have the ARM Annual Employee Survey coming up soon, so make sure to leave your anonymous feedback there as well, so we can address any concerns you may have ... More

Start-up Atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Open door policy with upper management, start-up atmosphere allows room for growth and creativity, great benefits and plenty of PTO, good size gym in office, on-site and off-site activities

Cons

ARM is a worldwide company which means there are occasional early and late meetings with the UK and APAC. Staff is a bit short makes it hard to execute full potential on everything.

A unique company in the industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture, everybody believes in ARM and wants it succeed. Engineers given freedom to innovate. Fantastic work/life balance, with great benefits, tons of vacation, and a sabbatical.

Cons

IT is second-rate for a company of this size. Terrible support, reliability, equipment, budgets.
    New CEO is bringing some of what is bad in other tech companies into ARM - major reorgs, trying to force common methodologies, penny-pinching.

Advice to Management

Don't forget what made ARM so unique and fun to work at.
    Invest in proper IT and give engineers the best tools available to do their job.