ARM Holdings

Updated Feb 21, 2014

Simon Segars

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Pleasant

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent benefits and work environment

ConsWork life balance could be an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementLong term planning & goals for employees

Great place to work, but.....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ARM Holdings full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMarket leader - innovative products. Interesting and smart people. Good salary and compensation structure. Good work/life balance. Having an ARM business card opens doors. Executives easily accessible.

ConsSmall company, but getting a big company bureaucracy. Best and brightest not always retained or promoted if bringing viewpoints contrary to what is wanted to be heard.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture is changing in the US. Remember what got you here - don't lose that. Don't read your own headlines about how great you are. Or at least, don't believe them. Continue to innovate - continue to dig for the best, and find those bright minds and listen to those crazy ideas - from wherever they may come.

excellent but...

Unspecified (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than a year

Prosvery successful in all aspects, design innovation, customer infrastructure support, plenty more

how do you not recommend this co. to a friend. It is a train, can not be stopped, at the moment.

Consmany friends ask what we are doing different, to them we are walking text book OOE pipeline same as those that came before, intel, sparc, mips, etc. In their view eventually we look like pentium 4.

penny pinchers: two monitor maximum, your lap top counts as one, lol

IT infrastructure is awful, unable to connect to LSF, still using eXceed (not kidding), some attributable to fast growth, mostly not.

Big company infrastructure overhead without the benefits: SAP, time sheets, IT ticket system (file a ticket, get ignored, call your buddy in IT, get it fixed, pure hell when you are trying to hit schedule commits)

ARM was a friendly, supportive and professional place to work.

Product Usage Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at ARM Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsARM is a very balanced company in many ways. ARM has grown to be a mid-sized company, but retains the spirit and flexibility usually associated with start-ups. Upper management changed the structure of the business several times while I was there without replacing all the executives. This was done not in desperation, but to meet the needs of the changing economy by putting people in the best places to keep the company moving forward. It weathered the downturn better than most companies thanks to that kind of agility. The atmosphere is professional, but the doors to the VP's offices were most often open and they invited interaction. A look around the office any time would show signs of the company's fun side. Employees had a lot of latitude to get creative when celebrating holidays from around the world or engaging in spirited contests. Work-life balance is valued at ARM even while hard work is expected. The benefits package is generous in my opinion. I would recommend ARM highly as a great place to work.

ConsBeing a British owned company, ARM sometimes had difficulty bridging the gap between British and American business cultures. On several occasions upper management insisted upon doing things in the US offices the same way they do it in Cambridge when it didn't make sense or wasn't necessary. These kinds of decisions were met with grumbles which took a toll on morale. Upper management's loyalty to other management staff was admirable, but had a down side. They held on to people who were not a good fit for their positions which caused some very good people to leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is to keep on working to place everyone in the best position to use their talents to the full, and to be sensitive to the needs of the US employees.

Great

Principal Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsEverything, great management, conservative growth, emphasis on top talent

ConsNothing. Great company, great people

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Worked as a contract exhibitor

Exhibitor (Former Employee)

I worked at ARM Holdings as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFriendly & helpful employees, good salary, excellent experience.

ConsNothing I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Big company but very little dead weight

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is the largest company I've worked for but the engineering and marketing staff are all very intelligent and productive. Benefits are top notch.

ConsLegal department is understaffed and hyper conservative when it comes to open source because of their IP business. Lots of red-tape. IT is conservative but needfully so I suppose. Working outside the mothership (Cambridge) makes us a bit 2nd class citizens unless you're willing to travel to Europe and APAC frequently.

Great Place to work

Principal Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood compensation.
Intelligent Engineers
Open Communication
Great vacations
month long Sabbatical every 4 years
Good 401K plan (6% of base pay.)
Growing Stock
free soda
Great GYM

ConsGrowing Pains
Getting too corporatey
Not a small company anymore.
More time spent on paper work tnan actual design
increasing hierarchy of managers

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow with caution

Work at ARM

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- Good 401K match
- Good number of days of vacation
- Open door upward feedback policy
- Still have free soda and coffee

Cons- RSU grant - Number of shares granted have been reduced by 80% and it makes easier for employee make decision leaving the company.
- IT is becoming slower response
- ESPP cannot be sold immediately after being vested. Selling price is shooting in the dark.
- Complicated choices of software. More time wasted on feeding the software than productive

Advice to Senior ManagementTo keep talent from leaving, either discount ESPP to 20%-30% and set the price for 2 years, and/or increase RSU back to where it was.

Beware if you want a Marketing or Event Marketing role in San Jose

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at ARM Holdings as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat Technology, Great Engineering, Great potential for future.

ConsDemand Generation and Marketing eons behind competitors. Poor Management, even worse communication. Proper investments need to be made into supporting resources and marketing technology. Overall ARM Marketing is woefully understaffed and, in some cases, overwhelmed. Culture of blame instead of culture of collaboration. The marketing cubicles on the 1st floor has to be the one of the unhappiest places in the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix Marketing

Worked for ARM Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ARM Holdings reviews and ratings in San Jose, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ARM Holdings CEO Simon Segars. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by ARM Holdings employees.