ARM Holdings Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated July 31, 2014

3.9

ARM Holdings Chief Executive Officer Simon Segars
Simon Segars

Pros
  • A well designed work life balance and trusts the employees to do their job (in 13 reviews)

• Really smart people to work with, high learning scope for interns (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Lot of politics as the company is growing (in 6 reviews)

• It has lost a lot of its small company startup appeal (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Ok place to work

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefit package. Challenging work.

Cons

Salary lower than the industry. Recent rapid growth has meant it is getting mired in bureaucracy & cares less about its employees than it did in the past.

Overall Good Experience

Current Employee - Summer Intern  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible Working Hours, Helpful colleagues, good salary compared to electronic engineering industry in UK, opportunities to learn and work is interesting

Cons

housing is expensive in cambridge

Great company to work for

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance, friendly and relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Very fast paced environment to work in

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Historically good, but changing

Current Employee - Employee  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Sabbatical every 4 years, decent working environment in terms of facilities and infrastructure. Respected employer, with employees that historically care about the company and it's future success.

Cons

Company is growing up and getting far more corporate, with less emphasis on getting the job done vs. spin. Becoming a far more political environment to work in. Lots of emphasis on talent and new people coming in, but those new people don't really have the talent and really don't care about the future management of the company.

Reach out to lower grade employees and listen to them. Avoid the political angling and spin put on everything and focus on the essentials that employees need.

Good benefits, interesting work, but politics can get in the way quite badly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Performance related bonus, shares (not stock options), and 1 month paid sabbatical every 4 years on top of holidays.

Cons

Politics often get in the way. The company still retains people in very senior positions who still have a small company (<100 people) mentality, and haven't quite transitioned to the fact that this a 3000+ multinational $1bn company. This can end up getting in the way of people being efficient at their jobs, and in loosing valuable and hard-to-replace talent, and makes the reward system subjective rather than objective and performance based.
    Base pay is lower than for similar jobs in the industry, and although benefits can make up for it on good years (and there have been quite a few of those), on a bad year you feel the pinch.

Reward your staff appropriately, and make sure the career paths are clear and objectively attainable.

Friendly company, only if you are very talented and never fail

I have been working at ARM Holdings

Pros

Excellent benefits, employees are well looked after

Cons

Terrible work/life balance, if you wish to remain in the company

Neutral

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Cam, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Cam, England (UK)

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work is nice and there are opportunities to find new threads to work on. Smart people all around so stimulation for the imagination.

Cons

Difficult to adjust career mid-way and opportunities hard to come by to make more impact than you currently have. More needed to provide career paths and development avenues.

Relaxed, friendly and motivated.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great family atmosphere given the small company size. Friendly, dedicated and motivated people. Lots of charity work and beautiful offices.

Cons

Compensation is good but I would say not on par with the company's wide reaching world leading status. There are a fair share of middle managers who have clearly reached their level of incompetency and even progressed past it.

Take a look at some of the middle managers and evaluate their ability to lead

Challenging, varied work in a market-leading company.

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very clever people. Good working atmosphere, many people willing to collaborate and help things move forward. Not much internal politics.

Cons

Some business processes are not as efficient as they could be. Workload is high, so short-term firefighting can prevent actual process improvement.

Good changes should be championed and beneficial process change should be strongly encouraged. Help us grow into a global presence, sustainable presence.

My view of R&D so far

I have been working at ARM Holdings full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have so far spent a few months in the ARM R&D department. The company as a whole is interesting and exciting. It is growing very fast and is deploying very exciting products to the market. I have friends in graphics (MPD) and CPU (PD) divisions and they had lots of interactions with customers who were developing great new products. In these divisions it did seem like there is a system of recognising smart people and engineering is respected. They work on real projects that created real results and if they do a good job it is evident.

Cons

Unfortunately I was in R&D which is very different. It is highly political all the way up to the CTO who supposedly controls the division. There is no product that is actually made, instead each project is started, some preliminary results are fabricated and nothing is ever finished and no one cares. It is pretty demotivating when your project is clearly to progress the career of some egotistical mid level engineer. All the work is done by very junior employees. Interns, students and graduates were outnumbering normal employees. Several people were not actually doing anything but presenting other peoples work, getting more interns (my manager has more than four) trying to have as many meetings as possible and inflating their own importance. This is an incredibly successful method of climbing the ladder. I can't even blame these guys because they want to get ahead and the CTO is quite easy to play. He is fairly gullible and these guys know by the time the results are expected he as moved to the next fad. You can always see the guys bootlicking the CTO and other senior managers. I don't see myself being to climb to a higher position any way but emulating them. I doubt I will be staying much longer.

Replace the CTO. Re-examine the reason for R&D. Unfortunately most managers in the division are now the people who played the system who are technically incompetent, just power-hungry and manipulative.

Worked for ARM Holdings? Contribute to the Community!