ARRIS Reviews

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014
3.3

Robert J. Stanzione

Pros
  • There is a good work life balance at this company which is great and a lot of the employees are great (in 7 reviews)

• Most of the other contractors are good people and down to earth (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Demotivation, lack of vision, lack of direction, lack of professional skills handicap the talent in the field (in 3 reviews)

• Despite the fact of making your own working hours, one is still expected to work long hours (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Probably one of the best companies to work for but dependent on who your manager is and what business unit you work for.

Current Employee - Product Manager Director  in  Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Product Manager Director in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at ARRIS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits and decent compensation for the workload. The company values are terrific but good work life balance

Cons

Lack of direction. Way too many chiefs and not enough Indians. They need to really define proper strategy and stick to that strategy. Really no real career path focus.

Great overall Executive Management Team. Simple wonderful and really a true employee rich company.

Technology Leader - Great Products - Typical Big Corp.

I have been working at ARRIS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good compensation, average benefits, relaxed work environment. Might be site specific, but flexible work hours, and excellent time off in package.

Work environment is friendly. Many senior, autonomous, intelligent, independent and highly qualified individuals working here.

Cons

A little rigid in work flow, and as per the Pros, a con is that there are very few junior people. On call lists are shallow, which can lead to multiple consecutive months of on-call.

Referring to the Pros again, the plethora of senior people means that senior people also have to do their own grunt work (not always a con).

Decision making is help at the highest levels, and with a rigid process for work flow, it can take a great deal of time and effort to get any change done.

Consistently understaffed for many teams.

Finally, no real mobility, and professional development is left to the individual to try and work out with their manager.

Allow more decision making at a lower level on the less critical areas, and allow teams to design and define a more rapid change control environment for faster implementation and response to clients.

Work Life Balance, Nice People

Former Employee - Intern  in  Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Horsham, PA

I worked at ARRIS as an intern for less than a year

Pros

1. You have a buddy to walk you through the projects you would focus on. 3 months, 3 projects. Some of them are challenging and I feel accomplished when I can help to improve.
    2. Globalized work environment, weekly call with colleges in Germany, Hong Kong, California, etc.
    3. Nice colleges to work with, and the afterwork activity includes bowling, local club swimming, picnic, etc., organized by HR

Cons

1. Not very much training, you just need to understand the work process quickly
    2. Casual office culture, easy dress code
    3. Busy in the morning. There are always less people on Friday afternoon. work load come with the project urgency. Usually get back home before 6:00 as long as you have worked 8 hours and get your work done

1. Hope for more training

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work with work-life balance

Former Employee - Principal Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at ARRIS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place to work with work-life balance

Cons

Gotta give more equity awards to high performers.

Great leader in a relatively flat industry.

Current Employee - Sales Director  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ARRIS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very talented group of experts.
    Can-do, will-do attitude.
    Great reputation in the industry.

Cons

Very slow lo launch new products.
    Low-risk, very conservative decision making.
    "Boss - subordinate" management style is the norm. Very few exceptions of inspiring leaders.

Create a vision for our future and invest in it. ARRIS needs to own the next must-have.

Not terrible nor exciting, just wanted something more.

Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at ARRIS as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

* Fairly stable, even when the name on the door changed three times, from Motorola to Google, then to Arris. The worker bees were usually not affected.
    * If you like to stay active, the San Diego campus offers a decent gym with showers and towel service. A good game of basketball, soccer or ultimate frisbee are played throughout the week.
    * On site cafeteria.
    * The treatment of contractors is by far the best I've seen, we were able to use all the facilities, par take in group activities and attend major company events.
    * flex time, most either came in very early or late depending on their traffic conditions.
    * I was a contractor and the rates are pretty good; 70/hr.

Cons

* Not a lot of diversity in age, most of the staff were in their late 40's to mid 50s or retiring.
    * There is a plateau that is easily reached within a few years of working on projects, afterwards people become very comfortable in their roles.
    * Lots of middle management.
    * Projects are faily micromanaged, I can't speak for all groups though.
    * There are long periods of drought, literally 2-3 weeks at a time where there is nothing to do or one baby sits a minor bug until something else comes along.

* streamline projects, the democratic process of having everyone agree on a change or proposal lingers and adds weeks to a schedule.

Good , could be better

I have been working at ARRIS full-time

Pros

Interesting technical challenges, helpful people, smart developers and QA engineers

Cons

Understaffed, head count expansion occurs overseas most of the time, where as issues are worked on in the US.

Add resources where needed, a total headcount never paints the whole picture

ARRIS Response

Jul 9, 2014Director of HR, TA

Thank you for your candid feedback we appreciate it. We appreciate your optimism and are always looking for ways to improve.

Nowhere to go.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at ARRIS full-time

Pros

1. Hard-working and friendly coworkers.
    2. Decent benefits.
    3. Lots of recognition for work. Regular raises and bonuses.

Cons

1. Very little room to move up within the company.
    2. Takes longer to be promoted compared to a much larger company.
    3. The company moves very slowly when making decisions.
    4. Teams are often understaffed.

Speed up the decision-making process. Find a balance between quick decisions and recklessness.

Relax, laid-back work environment. good benefits for full-time employment

Current Employee - Accounting  in  Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Accounting in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at ARRIS full-time for less than a year

Pros

flex hours, nice people. result-oriented

Cons

Innovation on Technology, but not so innovated on management and marketing.

as one of the biggest company in industry, Arris should put more efforts on marketing and advertisement.

ARRIS Response

Jul 9, 2014Director of HR, TA

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are always looking for ways to improve and we value your honest comments.

Not the Best-and no longer in the area. Doors were closed and business moved to Philly.

Former Employee - Cusomer Service  in  State College, PA
    Former Employee - Cusomer Service in State College, PA

I worked at ARRIS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Casual dress code. We did have the ice cream truck come once a month during the summer.

Cons

Supervisor not a "people person" (in their own words). No real room to move up. Management wanted to keep you where you were.

Stop insulting your employees with a smile on your face. It's still an insult.

Worked for ARRIS? Contribute to the Community!