ARRIS

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
3.4

Robert J. Stanzione

Pros
  • The company values are terrific but good work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• free parking, flexible work hours (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Demotivation, lack of vision, lack of direction, lack of professional skills handicap the talent in the field (in 4 reviews)

• Really no real career path focus (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company

I have been working at ARRIS

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Older generation, not a lot of young people

An awesome schedule with good pay.

Current Employee - Senior Customer Account Representative in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Account Representative in Horsham, PA

I have been working at ARRIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have a great schedule with allows me to have many weekdays off thanks to working 12hr days on what many would call a "fireman's schedule." Room for growth within is there, but then I would give up my schedule, which I love. Salary is acceptable if not quite good for the job. Large amount of PTO!

Cons

Other than having to wake up at 4am to be in the office, I really can't think of many cons.

Listen to some of the minions, they might have really good ideas.

No career growth

I have been working at ARRIS full-time

Pros

Arris has been a fairly steady employer. It is a great industry and you can learn and gain some great experience. Management is happy as long as they do not hear of any issues. Keep them happy and you can easily work on other projects during your employment.

Cons

Absolutely no career path growth within Arris. I think this may be due to the use of consultants within HR. Management addressed the career path issue by having meetings at all the NA locations recently. The only thing that really stuck out in my mind was the bullet point that said if you are not happy it may be time for you to move on.

Make a list of employees in order of the value they provide to the company. Then list employee salaries and compare the two.

Good Tech Writing Team

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at ARRIS as a contractor

Pros

I found my direct manager to be rational, capable and decent. I found my colleagues were for the most part, capable, friendly, coorperative, appreciative, and made me feel like part of their team. I was given leeway to explore new tools and propose new approaches.

Cons

As a contractor, it was a great job, no complaints

None, I had little involvement with management above my direct manager, who seemed smart and capable.

A Hidden GEM

Current Employee - Senior Director, Product Management in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Product Management in Horsham, PA

I have been working at ARRIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly and easy going culture
    Outstanding benefits
    Job Security is above average - Company is stable and conservative in hiring decisions
    One few tech companies who seems to care about employees
    As long as Bob Stanzione remains in charge, the company will be a family culture - one which cares. I believe that he cares about the well being of every employee.

Cons

Despite growth, many new jobs filled from external sources
    Some lingering us versus them from ARRIS and Motorola Home integration
    ARRIS will work you to death - but this seems common in USA with all companies - it is a buyers market
    Too many chiefs and not enough Indians
    Satisfaction depends highly on individual manager - the culture is not engrained

Don't kid yourself that there is not a deep and active culture of us versus them in the legacy entities. If you do not actively work hard to break this, it will break the company. You can still stilt he legacy delineations in the organization structure - ARRIS leaders pick ARRIS employees, Mot employees pick Mot. We can not win as a group unless we get beyond this

It is not what you know, but who you know

I have been working at ARRIS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

management team very considerate of family obligations. Disemination of information from the top brass of business performance is frequent.

Cons

some organizations are good at giving the upcoming leaders opportunities to grow meanwhile others organizations are only interested in self preservation.

Create more opportunities across the board for employees grow in different areas of the businesses. Need mentorship programs.

Technology Leader - Great Products - Typical Big Corp.

I have been working at ARRIS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation, average benefits, relaxed work environment. Might be site specific, but flexible work hours, and excellent time off in package.

Work environment is friendly. Many senior, autonomous, intelligent, independent and highly qualified individuals working here.

Cons

A little rigid in work flow, and as per the Pros, a con is that there are very few junior people. On call lists are shallow, which can lead to multiple consecutive months of on-call.

Referring to the Pros again, the plethora of senior people means that senior people also have to do their own grunt work (not always a con).

Decision making is help at the highest levels, and with a rigid process for work flow, it can take a great deal of time and effort to get any change done.

Consistently understaffed for many teams.

Finally, no real mobility, and professional development is left to the individual to try and work out with their manager.

Allow more decision making at a lower level on the less critical areas, and allow teams to design and define a more rapid change control environment for faster implementation and response to clients.

Work Life Balance, Nice People

Former Employee - Intern in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Horsham, PA

I worked at ARRIS as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

1. You have a buddy to walk you through the projects you would focus on. 3 months, 3 projects. Some of them are challenging and I feel accomplished when I can help to improve.
    2. Globalized work environment, weekly call with colleges in Germany, Hong Kong, California, etc.
    3. Nice colleges to work with, and the afterwork activity includes bowling, local club swimming, picnic, etc., organized by HR

Cons

1. Not very much training, you just need to understand the work process quickly
    2. Casual office culture, easy dress code
    3. Busy in the morning. There are always less people on Friday afternoon. work load come with the project urgency. Usually get back home before 6:00 as long as you have worked 8 hours and get your work done

1. Hope for more training

working exp

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at ARRIS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly work culture. Very good managers behavior. Best salary.

Cons

I didn't find any Cons with this company.

Great leader in a relatively flat industry.

Current Employee - Sales Director in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ARRIS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very talented group of experts.
    Can-do, will-do attitude.
    Great reputation in the industry.

Cons

Very slow lo launch new products.
    Low-risk, very conservative decision making.
    "Boss - subordinate" management style is the norm. Very few exceptions of inspiring leaders.

Create a vision for our future and invest in it. ARRIS needs to own the next must-have.