ARRIS

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
3.4

Robert J. Stanzione

Pros
  • The company values are terrific but good work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• free parking, flexible work hours (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Demotivation, lack of vision, lack of direction, lack of professional skills handicap the talent in the field (in 4 reviews)

• Really no real career path focus (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A Hidden GEM

Current Employee - Senior Director, Product Management in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Product Management in Horsham, PA

I have been working at ARRIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly and easy going culture
    Outstanding benefits
    Job Security is above average - Company is stable and conservative in hiring decisions
    One few tech companies who seems to care about employees
    As long as Bob Stanzione remains in charge, the company will be a family culture - one which cares. I believe that he cares about the well being of every employee.

Cons

Despite growth, many new jobs filled from external sources
    Some lingering us versus them from ARRIS and Motorola Home integration
    ARRIS will work you to death - but this seems common in USA with all companies - it is a buyers market
    Too many chiefs and not enough Indians
    Satisfaction depends highly on individual manager - the culture is not engrained

Don't kid yourself that there is not a deep and active culture of us versus them in the legacy entities. If you do not actively work hard to break this, it will break the company. You can still stilt he legacy delineations in the organization structure - ARRIS leaders pick ARRIS employees, Mot employees pick Mot. We can not win as a group unless we get beyond this

Growth company, runs lean

I have been working at ARRIS

Pros

Flexible; job security; great benefits with percentage of salary bonus, employee stock purchase plan; growing company that is performing well

Cons

Advancement is slow to occur; raises tend to be standard percent increase not keeping up with industry norms; has become a bit more compartmentalized since the recent merger

Set raises and salaries consistent with industry norms

Technology Leader - Great Products - Typical Big Corp.

I have been working at ARRIS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation, average benefits, relaxed work environment. Might be site specific, but flexible work hours, and excellent time off in package.

Work environment is friendly. Many senior, autonomous, intelligent, independent and highly qualified individuals working here.

Cons

A little rigid in work flow, and as per the Pros, a con is that there are very few junior people. On call lists are shallow, which can lead to multiple consecutive months of on-call.

Referring to the Pros again, the plethora of senior people means that senior people also have to do their own grunt work (not always a con).

Decision making is help at the highest levels, and with a rigid process for work flow, it can take a great deal of time and effort to get any change done.

Consistently understaffed for many teams.

Finally, no real mobility, and professional development is left to the individual to try and work out with their manager.

Allow more decision making at a lower level on the less critical areas, and allow teams to design and define a more rapid change control environment for faster implementation and response to clients.

It is not what you know, but who you know

I have been working at ARRIS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

management team very considerate of family obligations. Disemination of information from the top brass of business performance is frequent.

Cons

some organizations are good at giving the upcoming leaders opportunities to grow meanwhile others organizations are only interested in self preservation.

Create more opportunities across the board for employees grow in different areas of the businesses. Need mentorship programs.

Work Life Balance, Nice People

Former Employee - Intern in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Horsham, PA

I worked at ARRIS as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

1. You have a buddy to walk you through the projects you would focus on. 3 months, 3 projects. Some of them are challenging and I feel accomplished when I can help to improve.
    2. Globalized work environment, weekly call with colleges in Germany, Hong Kong, California, etc.
    3. Nice colleges to work with, and the afterwork activity includes bowling, local club swimming, picnic, etc., organized by HR

Cons

1. Not very much training, you just need to understand the work process quickly
    2. Casual office culture, easy dress code
    3. Busy in the morning. There are always less people on Friday afternoon. work load come with the project urgency. Usually get back home before 6:00 as long as you have worked 8 hours and get your work done

1. Hope for more training

Good place to work with work-life balance

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at ARRIS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work with work-life balance

Cons

Gotta give more equity awards to high performers.

Great leader in a relatively flat industry.

Current Employee - Sales Director in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at ARRIS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very talented group of experts.
    Can-do, will-do attitude.
    Great reputation in the industry.

Cons

Very slow lo launch new products.
    Low-risk, very conservative decision making.
    "Boss - subordinate" management style is the norm. Very few exceptions of inspiring leaders.

Create a vision for our future and invest in it. ARRIS needs to own the next must-have.

Probably one of the best companies to work for but dependent on who your manager is and what business unit you work for.

Current Employee - Product Manager Director in Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Product Manager Director in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at ARRIS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and decent compensation for the workload. The company values are terrific but good work life balance

Cons

Lack of direction. Way too many chiefs and not enough Indians. They need to really define proper strategy and stick to that strategy. Really no real career path focus.

Great overall Executive Management Team. Simple wonderful and really a true employee rich company.

Not terrible nor exciting, just wanted something more.

Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at ARRIS as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Fairly stable, even when the name on the door changed three times, from Motorola to Google, then to Arris. The worker bees were usually not affected.
    * If you like to stay active, the San Diego campus offers a decent gym with showers and towel service. A good game of basketball, soccer or ultimate frisbee are played throughout the week.
    * On site cafeteria.
    * The treatment of contractors is by far the best I've seen, we were able to use all the facilities, par take in group activities and attend major company events.
    * flex time, most either came in very early or late depending on their traffic conditions.
    * I was a contractor and the rates are pretty good; 70/hr.

Cons

* Not a lot of diversity in age, most of the staff were in their late 40's to mid 50s or retiring.
    * There is a plateau that is easily reached within a few years of working on projects, afterwards people become very comfortable in their roles.
    * Lots of middle management.
    * Projects are faily micromanaged, I can't speak for all groups though.
    * There are long periods of drought, literally 2-3 weeks at a time where there is nothing to do or one baby sits a minor bug until something else comes along.

* streamline projects, the democratic process of having everyone agree on a change or proposal lingers and adds weeks to a schedule.

Good , could be better

I have been working at ARRIS full-time

Pros

Interesting technical challenges, helpful people, smart developers and QA engineers

Cons

Understaffed, head count expansion occurs overseas most of the time, where as issues are worked on in the US.

Add resources where needed, a total headcount never paints the whole picture

ARRIS Response

Jul 9, 2014Director of HR, TA

Thank you for your candid feedback we appreciate it. We appreciate your optimism and are always looking for ways to improve.