ASCAP

ASCAP Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014

John LoFrumento

Licensing Specialist

Licensing Specialist (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at ASCAP full-time for less than a year

ProsNo paper clutter
Working from a computer doing sales on something that is required by Copyright Law for businesses.
Bringing in an additional commission on top of Salary.
Freedom (on certain teams) to work from the office or from home.
Great people to work with and for.

ConsHard for people without sales experience or social skills.
Time management skills are a must.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone so far

Business Systems Analyst

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at ASCAP full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat teams to work with. Managers are great. Work-Life balance is very good. Flexible work hours.Recently went Agile and is doing great progress.

ConsDownsized last year in January and heavily increased work load on the remaining team members.No bonus, no annual increment since few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease recognize people who are working hard and give regular increments to motivate them so that they can show more involvement in their position.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A great company that exposes you to all assets of the music industry but should focus more on it's employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ASCAP full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat opportunity to meet the entire music business community.
Great benefits.
Some really great people work here.
Staff was flexible with your personal/work needs if you were willing to reciprocate (I work from home on a morning I need to/leave early if I then also put in some weekends for events).

ConsPay is insulting.
Not enough promotions-this encourages good employees even if it's a title with a small pay bump.
Because of this a lot of employees give up and leave those still working with more work than is possible. The company leaves too much work for too few people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain people better in all departments.
Pay the good employees what they are worth so that they stay!
Hire a few more people to take on all the client help that is required-esp in member services. I didn't work there but ended up receiving more and more calls for cries for help bc no help was received there. The number of members grew a huge amount while I worked there but the staff to help them declined!

Antiquated company with little to no chance for growth

Manager (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

I worked at ASCAP full-time for more than a year

ProsRelaxed and generally creative environment, entertainment-related functions

ConsPoor compensation, no performance reviews during two years of employment, no opportunity to earn bonuses, no formal executive structure, no room for advancement, antiquated policies, unorganized

Was proud to work there, but the culture changed, and not for the better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ASCAP full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you're into music of any kind, it can be a fun place. Good vacation benefits

ConsCompensation less than average for the industry Health insurance benefits are also not up to industry norms (if you are compensated less with salary, benefits should be much better. The company is extremely beurocratic, which is frustrating to deal with. The different departments don't work as a team, but more work in competition, and management does nothing to improve that situation. They began charging members for even the most basic of services, and put all of their "Member Services" materials on line. This really frustrated members terribly. When I left, the membership was extremely unhappy, and were resigning in droves. Wouldn't recommend working there or joining. BMI might be a better choice

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, think more about your members, an then consider your staff as important as the members. ASCAP is a service organization. Frustrated unhappy staff don't provide the best service, and then Members leave. Cultivate a culture of teamwork.

Very easy going... perhaps too easy going

Intern (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at ASCAP as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Employees are very friendly, knowledgeable about music and easy to get along with
-Casual dress code.
-Hours are flexible and they support and will work around you if you are a musician with
other commitments

Cons-The work can be extremely slow, repetitive, and about the education level of a high school freshmen.
-While all the employees are friendly, they are so technologically behind and frequently border on incompetence (I had to teach someone how to attach a PDF to an email).

College degree not necessary for rote work.

I have been working at ASCAP

ProsHealth insurance, 401k match, work from home privileges for entry level/data entry employees.

ConsIf you work in the distribution department there isn't any room for creativity. Your college degree isn't necessary as 99% of the work is data entry, which obviously gets tedious and carpal tunnel-inducing. Managers are stuck in their old ways and a lot are resistant to change unless the suggestion comes from another manager. Little to no opportunity for advancement. Basic improvements won't be made to the internal database.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing more aware of current trends would be helpful. One manager looked at me like I was from Mars when I suggested a smartphone app that might be helpful to our work.

Good work balance but declining industry

Project Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at ASCAP full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNice people, most employees are into music

ConsLow salaries for the area, extremely stretched for cash - business model is failing and the consent decree they work under ties their hands and prevents effective changes to the business model.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to adapt faster.

former employee

Worked In IT (Former Employee)

I worked at ASCAP full-time

ProsNice people and great location. You can potentially learn and have interesting work if you report to the right manager

ConsCompany's internal politics overshadow everything positive. Favoritism is about the only way to succeed and advance ahead.

Don't walk...RUN away!!!

Area Licensing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at ASCAP full-time

ProsYou have the freedom to set your own work schedule, but Big Brother is watching your every move.

ConsThis is a high-stress, low-reward type of company. Sales quotas are nearly impossible to attain.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a new VP in New York.

Worked for ASCAP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ASCAP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ASCAP CEO John LoFrumento. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by ASCAP employees.