ASDA

Be The First To
Add Photos

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke

Andy Clarke

Pros:
  • "Benefits are great and the 10% discount always helps"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Flexible hours, this depends on how good your manager is but they're generally good"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff""
    in 7 reviews
  • "Queue clarity and general checkout atmosphere is awful and does nothing for shop floor maintenance"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great employer, perfect job for me.

Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, understood university and travel commitments, altered my contract as and when I needed it changing, never had any problems with pay, diverse range of colleagues, discount card is a bonus, colleagues all friendly - lots of work nights out.

ConsWorking on tills can be boring but it's the same in any supermarket I guess, there wasn't enough space to have my own locker which was annoying but everybody was very trustworthy so not too much of a big issue.

software engineer

ProsFast-paced, talented staff, well-equipped, forward thinking, good work-life balance, great benefits, beautiful campus…

ConsTremendous brand-name industry recognition. Even though it's a large Co with a lot of layers of management

amazing

Prosworks life balance is great

Consnone i have at this times

Advice to Senior Managementnone

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

my opinion

Customer Assistant (Current Employee)
    Tyler, TX

Prosgreat working environment
    resonable rate of salaries

Conspressure, annoying boss
    strict deadlines.
    bad quality of the product

Thoroughly enjoyable experience that throws you straight into the deep end.

Seasonal Employee (Former Employee)
    Cardiff, Wales (UK)

ProsHaving managers look out for you above everything, teach you the tricks of the trade and make you feel comfortable around the other colleagues. Becoming a part of a large network where everyone looks out for each other and are willing to help one another. Being able to use my own skills and knowledge as part of my everyday routine.

ConsNo two days are the same so you must learn to adapt to an ever changing environment. Having customers ask you where things are every two minutes can be difficult especially when you are trying to accomplish a task and when you don't know where the specific item is. Although training is satisfactory, they throw you into the thick of things on your first day without any guidance or a helping hand. This is a very daunting experience but may prove useful in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe department managers have an incredibly tough job maintaining their own departments whilst having relationships with their employees. I'm sure they would appreciate it they severely disciplined if an item goes missing or they miscount a product.

Asda is a friendly and enjoyable place to work.

Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee)
    Bristol, England (UK)

ProsAsda place a strong emphasis on teamwork and friendship, which I've found is definitely the case. Upon joining I got a warm welcome from colleagues and they made me feel like I had been part of the team as long as they have. If you are under 18, asda is good because of the fact they don't have pay bands (this means that everyone gets paid the same no matter how old you are) - In my case this is £6.63, which is a lot more than the £4.00 in my old job.

ConsOften I find bosses put me in for extra hours without even asking me, despite the fact they know I am still in college.
    Furthermore there are difficulties with my contract, I am required to work 2 days, yet am only contracted for one. Therefore my holiday hours are only calculate for my contracted day yet are used if I wanted time off on my other day.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure hours that staff work on a weekly basis are contracted, otherwise it's unfair when it comes to holiday.

Working at the Green Machine

Checkout Operator (Former Employee)
    York, England (UK)

ProsOne of the best reasons to work here is the atmosphere and social aspects! I made a lot of fantastic friends with an employment span of less than a year. Everyone was absolutely lovely and helped me settle in well. The colleagues, supervisors and even the store manager were always friendly and always greeted me as if they had known me for years. It was easy to forget that it was a job because it was so friendly and relaxing. I really enjoyed all the new technology they were bringing in as well, such as the scan and go and rapid scan machines. Getting trained for these new machines was exciting and gave us a chance to promote our work places without having to be salesmen. Talking to customers was always nice too, it was good to know that being chatty and talkative was part of our job role, which made working there even more fun. I was given weekend hours contract due to being a student, which was actually tailored to benefit me which I thought was great because it meant that they had my interests in mind when deciding my hours. They thought it would be best for me and it was, meaning that I had a good work-life and education balance. The chance to be rewarded for our work was also good because I received an Asda star for getting 100% happy to help which I wasn't even expecting, making me even more motivated to get more.

ConsOnly thing I can say is that working on a checkout for hours on end is tiring and sometimes painful. So it would be nice to get some variety in terms of working on checkouts/self-scan/rapids/scan and go/shop floor/etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheckout employees should be able to get a little switch around if working long hours as it adds some variety to the job and can reduce boredom. Also, when handing out over time, sometimes I felt a bit pressured to take it meaning that I didn't get much time off when I would have liked. But otherwise management were great!

its ok getting worse though

Prosgood pay, overtime available on most nights

Constoo much work for little colleagues

Great people to work with

Customer Service (Current Employee)
    Ipswich, England (UK)

Proscolleagues are friendly and helpful. Great benefits including 10% off shopping, bonus each year, free uniform

Consnot a great chance to progress in the job

Advice to Senior Managementmaybe ask current colleagues if they'd like to become a supervisor or manager rather than employing new staff that have never worked for Asda

Working at ASDA is rewarding, fulfilling and never dull

Department Manager (Current Employee)
    Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

ProsThe pay in distribution side is good, the benefits are great and there are plenty of opportunities to develop and always something new to learn

ConsThe work can be physical and have time constraints, with rates to meet that mean you can't slack. sometiomes the jobs can be monotonous

Advice to Senior ManagementMay need to listen to those on the shop floor and trust their abilities a bit more

Worked for ASDA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ASDA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ASDA CEO  Andy Clarke. All 189 reviews posted anonymously by ASDA employees.