ASDA Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.2

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • Only positive I could think of was the 10% discount (in 20 reviews)

• Flexible hours, local to my house at the time (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 10 reviews)

• Cutting department managers and expecting section leaders to do the same job for less than (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great employer, perfect job for me.

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, understood university and travel commitments, altered my contract as and when I needed it changing, never had any problems with pay, diverse range of colleagues, discount card is a bonus, colleagues all friendly - lots of work nights out.

Cons

Working on tills can be boring but it's the same in any supermarket I guess, there wasn't enough space to have my own locker which was annoying but everybody was very trustworthy so not too much of a big issue.

software engineer

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Fast-paced, talented staff, well-equipped, forward thinking, good work-life balance, great benefits, beautiful campus…

Cons

Tremendous brand-name industry recognition. Even though it's a large Co with a lot of layers of management

amazing

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

works life balance is great

Cons

none i have at this times

none

my opinion

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Tyler, TX

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great working environment
    resonable rate of salaries

Cons

pressure, annoying boss
    strict deadlines.
    bad quality of the product

Nice experience so far!

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Good colleagues, pay rate good, good atmosphere at work, customers generally nice, discount card. Management happy to cover shop floor jobs when staff shortages arise.

Cons

Busy periods cause section leaders to get stressed out. Sometimes difficult to get off checkout when needing a "comfort' break.

It's bad enough to have to ask for a 'comfort' break (I try not to but sometimes you have to!) but can some policy be put in so that checkout staff are not left waiting 40 minutes as I was on one occasion.

Lovely colleagues made a sometimes repetitive and tedious job worth it!

Former Employee - Seasonal Checkout Operator in Barrow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Checkout Operator in Barrow, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

In general, colleagues were very friendly and welcoming which created a very enjoyable atmosphere to work in. Excellent team leaders and managers always tried to accommodate time off and overtime: great ethos where they are more willing to be flexible with hours if you are willing to with them. Promotions often slow to come up simply due to few people higher up leaving but definitely select the right candidate for the job when promotions do arise and push the right sort of people to go for promotions. Always a member of staff to discuss any issues with and motivation to fix these issues.

Cons

Promotion opportunities often few and far between, sometimes working hours can be particularly tiring if switching between late night shifts and early morning shifts.

Talk to retail assistants more and allow retail assistants the opportunity to talk to you more, particularly when bringing in new ideas and procedures as passing messages and ideas up or down via team leaders and line managers often means these ideas get filtered and convoluted.

Great company

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

challenging and great benefits, you will be rewarded with a bonus if the store and company deliver KRA's and profit

Cons

Can work very long hours which you don't get back

if you want a challenge asda is for you

A very good experience

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Dunstable, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Dunstable, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

open and honest approach during an assessment day.Great package for Warehouse Manager additional benefits.

Cons

No cons for now. All fine. Just accepted an offer.

none

Great inclusive environment but they company definitely get more than their money's worth out of you!

I worked at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great teams and personalities
    Genuinely caring management in most instances
    good benefits

Cons

Seriously long hours
    Culture of over-staying (in early, staying late) frowned upon if you leave on time despite management roles having no overtime associated

Perhaps a cultural review would be good but when working a such tight margins, staffing levels will always be at the bare minimum meaning huge workloads for all!

Great Stop gap for students and graduates

Current Employee - Grocery Nights in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Grocery Nights in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Whatever shift you get, days, nights or twilight its a great team environment. Everyone's really friendly and the work can be flexible. This is great for students and graduates looking to earn some decent money while balancing study, internships or keeping money in your pocket while job hunting. Progression can be very fast too, this will depend store to store, but you can make it to section leader (the first rung up the ladder) in between 1 - 2 years.

Cons

The pay's great for night shift workers but you earn your keep! Its a tough shift and turnover is high, many thinking its an opportunity to sit down at a till in an almost deserted superstore for 8+ hours, reality quickly sets in (its a replen job, getting the shelves full working delivery pushing to clear stock out of the warehouse, its non-stop from the time you start until shift end) and its not for everyone. No slackers!

It can be a monotonous job, very process orientated, you will feel like a bit of lacky.

Its not glamorous

The pay for "normal shift" (days) is a little over the minimum, not bad at all but nothing amazing.

I've had the good fortune of having great managers, they're very personable, approachable and empathetic to their team. This will differ from store to store obviously and there are some insufferable managers I've heard though.

Communicate more consistently with colleagues, touching base every 4 weeks or so regarding work, tasks and development opportunities. Get more serious about training! I see countless colleagues welcomed and left to get on with it, productivity, morale and the motivation of employees can be vastly improved if training (what we do, how we do, why do) is implemented more rigorously.

Make sure colleagues have the equipment they need to do their job, every day, make it consistent (cages, pump trucks etc.)