ASDA Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
347 reviews filtered by
ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • 10% Discount benefit as well as all the flexibility and development opportunities (in 23 reviews)

• Flexible hours (when it suits the management) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Ordinary colleagues left to deal with mess made by mangers and section leaders (in 13 reviews)

• As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 10 reviews)

1. Amazing place to work

I worked at ASDA

Pros

Very Supportive Management at Spondon Branch
    Polite Staff

Cons

Management should give growth opportunities to employees at a lower level

I had an amazing time working with your company.

2. Great Place to Work

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Great culture and place to work

Cons

It can be a bit of an old boys club

3. dsf 2qwe s

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good better best fine hot

Cons

big good better spicy new young

1dasfd as

5. Don't work here as a contractor

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at ASDA as a contractor

Pros

Working for such a large company will always look good on your CV.

Cons

As a contractor you do not get the staff discount, you aren't allowed to park on site and you aren't allowed to use the company store. They also don't make you feel very welcome. They will take their departments off for frequent away days / team builds but you have to provide your own stationery. The on site cafe / canteen is over priced despite being full of ASDA products.

Treat your contractors more like your actual emoployee's after all, they are carrying out work important enough that you hired them!

6. software engineer

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Fast-paced, talented staff, well-equipped, forward thinking, good work-life balance, great benefits, beautiful campus…

Cons

Tremendous brand-name industry recognition. Even though it's a large Co with a lot of layers of management

7. Great employer, perfect job for me.

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, understood university and travel commitments, altered my contract as and when I needed it changing, never had any problems with pay, diverse range of colleagues, discount card is a bonus, colleagues all friendly - lots of work nights out.

Cons

Working on tills can be boring but it's the same in any supermarket I guess, there wasn't enough space to have my own locker which was annoying but everybody was very trustworthy so not too much of a big issue.

8. amazing

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

works life balance is great

Cons

none i have at this times

none

9. my opinion

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Tyler, TX

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great working environment
    resonable rate of salaries

Cons

pressure, annoying boss
    strict deadlines.
    bad quality of the product

10. Great for university flexibility, at a store level probably not a career

Current Employee - Music, Video & Game Colleague in Worcester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Music, Video & Game Colleague in Worcester, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best part of the job is definitely the other colleagues, especially when you're not on checkouts.

The ability to progress and develop through opportunities without being a section leader. Colleagues can become part of the recruitment squad and other opportunities which is something different and spices work up a bit.

Being verbally and physically rewarded if you do a good job.

10% Asda & Wal-mart discount.

Supportive leadership, especially with applying for the grad scheme.

Flexibility with hours if in education, ability to move stores for summer and Christmas breaks.

Cons

The colleague experience differs a lot from store to store, due to different management and different parts of people policies being enforced.

Technology is lacking. Everything is second hand from Wal-Mart and it doesn't feel like there's any investment in trying to make colleagues jobs easier. If DVDs and CDs were tagged automatically at the depot then it'd enable MVG colleagues to focus on refill than tagging for hours on end.

No way to search for stock/location, there are 400+ DVDs out in the charts alone - you can't answer customer enquiries efficiently. Location changes on telxons a few days before modular implementation so restocking can become hard.

The photo kiosks take up a lot of colleague time, customers don't get the software. In my store the MVG and Photo Centre is joined so one colleague is doing what two colleagues would in another store.

For retail the wage is quite high, but this wouldn't be an option for me after uni as it can't support you properly.

The ability to print POS and Swap Sleeves at a store level would be amazing. The technology is there.

You've got some leadership gems but they're hard to come by, make sure that colleagues can get on with the GSMs and leadership teams.

11. Mostly good, some drawbacks

Current Employee - Checkout Operator/Self Service Host in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good colleague support - I work on the checkout, and learnt far more from colleagues than from very brief, and in my opinion, inadequate "training". Section leaders usually friendly and communicative, and try to be supportive. Job can be interesting as every new customer has different needs and expectations, which greatly alleviates the tedium of the repetitious aspect.

Cons

Low pay, management's focusing on trivia like colour of nail polish to be worn, when daily customers are complaining about length of checkout queues, too many missing items on shelves and not enough checkouts open. Could do with listening more to what customers actually expect from shopping at Asda, and making it easier for them to express opinions, suggestions etc.
    Also at present very understaffed - especially on selfscan/hybrids - making it potentially easier for theft to go undetected. Inadequate security. Some checkouts too narrow for larger pushchairs, customers with disabilities etc. Being spoken to and treated like children (I don't see the "respect for the individual" much in evidence here)- patronising "training" videos.

Please listen to what the customers want! stop moving stock around and confusing shoppers, some decent chairs on checkouts would be nice too.