ASDA

Updated August 17, 2014

3.3

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • Benefits are great and the 10% discount always helps (in 16 reviews)

• For most it is good pay for easy work, especially if you run a till (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 9 reviews)

• Queue clarity and general checkout atmosphere is awful and does nothing for shop floor maintenance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Job

Former Employee - Counter Staff  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Counter Staff in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Pros

The people who I worked with was fantastic, their customer service was good and work ethic also

Cons

Not enough staff sometimes, standards can slip due to this

keep the same standards all the time, not just when management visits

All staff are lovely, work becomes easy and automatic after a while!

Current Employee - Checkout Operator  in  Portlethen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Portlethen, Scotland (UK)

Pros

Really enjoy chatting to customers, get a good few laughs!
    Never met a rude member of staff, everyone friendly and easy to talk to, easy to sit with people in the cantine.
    Staff cantine very cheap.
    "Career breaks" are given for any reasonable time off which you require.
    20% staff discount days "double discount" days are very much looked forward to.
    Good communication of store events and feedback on how the store is performing is always nice to know.
    Always plenty of overtime available if needed- yet not forced or made to feel bad if unavailable.
    Always made to feel like an individual and not forgotten about by manager.

Cons

Training was very general and time consuming- although necessary.
    Must remember to swipe in and out of shifts and for lunch.
    Very occasionally difficult customers, but always supported by runners/ managers.
    Long shifts can be tiring.
    Lifting heavy items are difficult.

Red 'reduced' labels usually cover barcode/numbers and are very time consuming.
    Scanning guns on all checkouts would be very appreciated.
    'Spider' security tag removers are on a very short wire, some have been cut off and are sharp, others are unusable as wire is too short- longer cords would save time.

Your treat fairly, and as an individual... amongst a great team.

Former Employee - Section Leader  in  Blackpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Section Leader in Blackpool, England (UK)

Pros

You get good breaks, fairly treat, given opportunities to further yourself... its a really good place to work. It was honestly like one big family. Even now, the few times i shop there, the staff are so lovely and welcoming.

Cons

The wages aren't that great, but you have to understand, food has become expensive. And supermarkets competitive aim is to have the lowest prices. Wages come with responsibility.... and if you are willing to do overtime, the wages arfe there.

If you would tell a colleague not to do it, dont do it yourself.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was great working with Asda.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

Well best thing for me was flexible timings. You can find a job with the timing which suits your life. Although its a cheapest super market but they still give discount to their employees which is wonderful:)

Cons

I feel there is a lack of training and development for employees. and if there is any its not well commnicated around.

I had no issues with managment what so ever but managers should not overly interfering.

Positive place to work - like one big family.

Pros

Progression opportunities, good team working.

Cons

None yet! So far so good.

Asda is a friendly and enjoyable place to work.

Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)

Pros

Asda place a strong emphasis on teamwork and friendship, which I've found is definitely the case. Upon joining I got a warm welcome from colleagues and they made me feel like I had been part of the team as long as they have. If you are under 18, asda is good because of the fact they don't have pay bands (this means that everyone gets paid the same no matter how old you are) - In my case this is £6.63, which is a lot more than the £4.00 in my old job.

Cons

Often I find bosses put me in for extra hours without even asking me, despite the fact they know I am still in college.
    Furthermore there are difficulties with my contract, I am required to work 2 days, yet am only contracted for one. Therefore my holiday hours are only calculate for my contracted day yet are used if I wanted time off on my other day.

Make sure hours that staff work on a weekly basis are contracted, otherwise it's unfair when it comes to holiday.

Working at the Green Machine

Former Employee - Checkout Operator  in  York, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Checkout Operator in York, England (UK)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work here is the atmosphere and social aspects! I made a lot of fantastic friends with an employment span of less than a year. Everyone was absolutely lovely and helped me settle in well. The colleagues, supervisors and even the store manager were always friendly and always greeted me as if they had known me for years. It was easy to forget that it was a job because it was so friendly and relaxing. I really enjoyed all the new technology they were bringing in as well, such as the scan and go and rapid scan machines. Getting trained for these new machines was exciting and gave us a chance to promote our work places without having to be salesmen. Talking to customers was always nice too, it was good to know that being chatty and talkative was part of our job role, which made working there even more fun. I was given weekend hours contract due to being a student, which was actually tailored to benefit me which I thought was great because it meant that they had my interests in mind when deciding my hours. They thought it would be best for me and it was, meaning that I had a good work-life and education balance. The chance to be rewarded for our work was also good because I received an Asda star for getting 100% happy to help which I wasn't even expecting, making me even more motivated to get more.

Cons

Only thing I can say is that working on a checkout for hours on end is tiring and sometimes painful. So it would be nice to get some variety in terms of working on checkouts/self-scan/rapids/scan and go/shop floor/etc.

Checkout employees should be able to get a little switch around if working long hours as it adds some variety to the job and can reduce boredom. Also, when handing out over time, sometimes I felt a bit pressured to take it meaning that I didn't get much time off when I would have liked. But otherwise management were great!

Family

Current Employee - ASDA Colleague  in  Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - ASDA Colleague in Coventry, England (UK)

Pros

You never get bored with the other colleagues that are around you sharing the experience of working with ASDA and they are a lot of time like an extended family as they go through the same crap you do on a day-to-day basis. The managers, too, have the capacity to have a giggle and a joke to make it seem like a better place to work.

Cons

The attitudes from the customers that we sometimes receive. We are automatically looked down on, despite trying our utmost to help them and there isn't really much we can do to show them that we're trying our best - they still see it as our fault when things go badly.

Think about the little guys a little more from our perspective.

Working at ASDA is rewarding, fulfilling and never dull

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Warrington, North West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

Pros

The pay in distribution side is good, the benefits are great and there are plenty of opportunities to develop and always something new to learn

Cons

The work can be physical and have time constraints, with rates to meet that mean you can't slack. sometiomes the jobs can be monotonous

May need to listen to those on the shop floor and trust their abilities a bit more

Fulfilled

Current Employee - Checkout Operator  in  Saint Austell, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Saint Austell, England (UK)

Pros

Have worked for ASDA for 13 yrs, seen lots of changes, but enjoy every day. I've seen 6 G.S.M's come through the Store and each one has implemented some brilliant strategies for improvement.

Cons

I really dislike the total lack of respect for mature colleagues, instead of realising they are an important part of the team, they are often treated as if they are already suffering from Alzheimers disease . We have too many team leaders with very little life experience or "people skills "

Please don't dis-regard any-one over the age of 30, which is happening in my store at the moment.

Worked for ASDA? Contribute to the Community!