ASDA Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.2

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • Only positive I could think of was the 10% discount (in 20 reviews)

• Flexible hours, local to my house at the time (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 10 reviews)

• Queue clarity and general checkout atmosphere is awful and does nothing for shop floor maintenance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Over worked - underpaid

Current Employee - Colleague in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Colleague in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with a great team and meeting some of the nicest people working here.

Cons

Working overtime and not getting paid. Being forced to take time off and not getting paid because they had issues with wages. Always focused on targets and how the business is doing rather than how their colleagues feel.

Treat colleagues like people and realise your business needs people to achieve targets and not expect colleagues to work for free to gain the same results and "underspend" on wages.

Okay

Current Employee - Bakery Assistant
    Current Employee - Bakery Assistant

I have been working at ASDA part-time

Pros

Colleagues are friendly, so I have a good laugh. Managers leave you alone to get on with what need to be done, easy to shift swap and pick up overtime. I can also have a good sing along to asda fm. Pay is just about good enough.

Cons

As a bakery assistant I have to go into a freezer multiple times especially on an evening shift, I dread this the most. only 10 % discount and the department I work in is understaffed. Can be boring and tiring as I am on my feet all the time running around.

Nice experience so far!

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Good colleagues, pay rate good, good atmosphere at work, customers generally nice, discount card. Management happy to cover shop floor jobs when staff shortages arise.

Cons

Busy periods cause section leaders to get stressed out. Sometimes difficult to get off checkout when needing a "comfort' break.

It's bad enough to have to ask for a 'comfort' break (I try not to but sometimes you have to!) but can some policy be put in so that checkout staff are not left waiting 40 minutes as I was on one occasion.

Lovely colleagues made a sometimes repetitive and tedious job worth it!

Former Employee - Seasonal Checkout Operator in Barrow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Checkout Operator in Barrow, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

In general, colleagues were very friendly and welcoming which created a very enjoyable atmosphere to work in. Excellent team leaders and managers always tried to accommodate time off and overtime: great ethos where they are more willing to be flexible with hours if you are willing to with them. Promotions often slow to come up simply due to few people higher up leaving but definitely select the right candidate for the job when promotions do arise and push the right sort of people to go for promotions. Always a member of staff to discuss any issues with and motivation to fix these issues.

Cons

Promotion opportunities often few and far between, sometimes working hours can be particularly tiring if switching between late night shifts and early morning shifts.

Talk to retail assistants more and allow retail assistants the opportunity to talk to you more, particularly when bringing in new ideas and procedures as passing messages and ideas up or down via team leaders and line managers often means these ideas get filtered and convoluted.

Great company

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

challenging and great benefits, you will be rewarded with a bonus if the store and company deliver KRA's and profit

Cons

Can work very long hours which you don't get back

if you want a challenge asda is for you

its a chore

Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

my workmates are good craic and are the only thing that make the place enjoyable, its money

Cons

very very repetitive, im a part time colleague and we get the crap shifts, every hour at the weekend is basically spent in asda, no sundays off unless taken as a holiday, not even paid

work life balance at weekends are cat, some management cannot manage

A very good experience

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Dunstable, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Dunstable, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

open and honest approach during an assessment day.Great package for Warehouse Manager additional benefits.

Cons

No cons for now. All fine. Just accepted an offer.

none

Great inclusive environment but they company definitely get more than their money's worth out of you!

I worked at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great teams and personalities
    Genuinely caring management in most instances
    good benefits

Cons

Seriously long hours
    Culture of over-staying (in early, staying late) frowned upon if you leave on time despite management roles having no overtime associated

Perhaps a cultural review would be good but when working a such tight margins, staffing levels will always be at the bare minimum meaning huge workloads for all!

need to start looking after staff

Former Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser

I worked at ASDA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

very few pros, half decent discount, fellow employees are the only thing that gets you through the day.. and they're good at transferring staff between stores

Cons

pharmacy side of the business is ran at an unsafe level of staffing by managers that don't have any understanding of the pharmaceutical industry, no progression prospects, wage of pharmacy workers has no reflection of the additional responsibilities and is far below the industry's average

invest some money into you pharmacies. after working in your dispensary and moving to another pharmacy group I can tell you that the running of your pharmacies is a joke. they are ran at minimal staffing levels, unorganised, rotas being put up 3 days in advance is NOT good enough. customers have no respect for the job role of an asda dispenser and this is directly a consequence of current working conditions

Get paid for being dirt on the company shoe

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Got paid each month
    Free Christmas dinner

Cons

Forced to work longer than contracted
    Sneaky tricks to avoid you taking a full break
    A never ending workload
    A never satisfied boss
    Lies at training to simply boost morale that never come to fruition
    Promotion based on favoritism and nothing to do with ability
    "overtime bans" that block all overtime meaning you cannot rely on overtime hours
    Rude staff
    False promises

Follow your promises to staff
    Treat staff as people, not numbers.