ASDA Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.2

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • Benefits are great and the 10% discount always helps (in 16 reviews)

• For most it is good pay for easy work, especially if you run a till (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 9 reviews)

• Queue clarity and general checkout atmosphere is awful and does nothing for shop floor maintenance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Bullied and pressured in to quitting due to illness that I was recovering from.

Former Employee - Produce Assistant  in  Bromborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Produce Assistant in Bromborough, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy work for a slightly above minimum wage. Some of the floor staff are decent people and are always willing to help. Plenty of work available to those who want it. Good seasonal contracts available for students.

Cons

Management and HR departments are absolutely rubbish and not understanding at all. Forced in to a very awkward position by HR representative who ended up effectively forcing me to quit. Not sympathetic at all to having time off due to illness and forced me to explain repeatedly about an illness that I didn't feel comfortable talking about. Management clearly needs more training and the wrong people are clearly getting promoted to jobs that are obviously wrong for them.

Train your staff better especially at management level and become more understanding of illnesses that affect working conditions. Treat your staff better at lower levels.

My department manager didn't listen or care

Former Employee - Home Shopping Delivery Driver  in  Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Home Shopping Delivery Driver in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than a year

Pros

A supervisor that was trying his best to keep the department organised and together. I was a home delivery driver and the interaction with the customers was the only shining light in a terrible job and company.

Cons

Terrible rate of pay for a huge company, we are the worst paid delivery drivers of all the retailers; a manageress who spent all of her time in the canteen or in the management office; we (the department colleagues) couldn't even get our contracted hours each week as we were frequently stood down on the day we were supposed to work if the home shopping was quiet; no hygiene policy (mould in back of vans); no controlled communication (it was like chinese whispers); personal details such as disciplinary documents left on show for all to read; no department meetings in the 1.5 years I was there; no yearly reviews for colleagues on department; no organisation of staff even though there was a massive emphasis on wages yet colleagues were often stood around wondering what needed to be done; no systems in place.

Listen to your staff and stop burying your heads and hoping problems will go away

Shop Assistant

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay for the work done
    Friendly environment
    Genuinely nice colleagues
    Good benefits (such as discount on shopping)
    I enjoyed working there, it's excellent as a job just to pay the bills because as soon as you leave, you leave any worries or stress there too.

Cons

Very unorganised
    Managers tend to be less than effective
    Too many big egos in management that need to get over themselves and concentrate on the actual job
     I wouldn't want to stay longer than I did because it gets so boring, doing the same old thing every single day. The managers don't make me want to progress either, because I wouldn't want to be the same as them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointing

Current Employee - Checkout Operator  in  Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Staff discount, emerging relationships with the public, flexible working hours, overtime if wanted. very good at giving holiday times that are requested

Cons

Very much a place that is "if your face fits", lots of rules that work for some but not for others which can lead to major resentment. Major differences in break time between departments

Be more face on, I can go weeks on end without seeing a manager

I worked in many departments over a period of 10 years with several promotions along the way.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at ASDA

Pros

Lots of variety, opportunities and change to get involved in. Always a buzz in the head office, feels like your working for a purpose.

Cons

Lots of ambition and plenty of ego to content with.

Keep it simple, don't forget your roots.

Asda Assistant

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time for less than a year

Pros

easy application process
    interview was very easy and straightforward, you just have to research customer service beforehand and you will be well equipped for it
    not too many hours
    easy to get overtime
    good entry job for students
    good discounts

Cons

monotonous
    pay is not fantastic
    stacking shelves can get boring

be more like john lewis and involve the employees a bit more
    stop giving orders and listen to some first hand advice

No appreciation

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant  in  Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people to work with
    Flexible hours

Cons

No appreciation of hard work
    Ordinary colleagues left to deal with mess made by mangers and section leaders
    Awful pay
    Managers pick favourites

Show everyone equal respect and acknowledge hard work

It's just, ok

Current Employee - Front End  in  Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Front End in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people, fairly flexible if given enough time, chance to move round different departments, fairly laid back, fairly easy job. Managers are understanding and flexible.

Cons

Unsociable hours, lack of overtime, booking holidays, if your face fits you can get away with anything and make progression.

Hit and miss

Current Employee - Personal Shopper  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Personal Shopper in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- My fellow colleagues are generally decent people.
    - The 10% discount comes in handy.
    - Certain benefits are decent, but a faff to arrange.

Cons

- The pay is terrible and massively below the work expected of some.
    - Most of the managers are incredibly cliquey and will treat you like something they've stepped in on the street unless you brown nose or are sleeping with them.
    - A lot of managers and section leaders are young and have very little retail or people experience.
    - Many of the older colleagues can get away with whatever they want as the aforementioned young managers are too afraid to discipline them.
    - Our GSM, who joined our store 7 months ago, hasn't said a single word to me and many others.
    - Equipment is woefully out of date and incredibly unreliable (across the entire store).
    - Colleagues that leave are replaced after months rather than days or weeks, if at all.
    - Because of this, departments are understaffed and the colleagues there are expected to pick up the slack.
    - The store is always messy and dreadfully understocked.
    - Most customers are fine, but there are more than enough who are downright rude and look down on you.
    - Our canteen has recently changed to serve breakfast only with vending machines for the rest of the time, yet Asda wants colleagues to live a healthy lifestyle.
    - The yearly "Your Voice" is routinely ignored by management.
    - Management only care and make a real effort to help on the shop floor when there's a visit, because a bad visit could lead to a dressing down for them. If this effort was made for customers the store might offer a decent shopping experience and also make things less of a panic when there are visits.

- Your colleagues are the ones who make you look good, treat them with a bit of respect.
    - You don't have to be mates with someone or cheating on your partner with someone to be nice to them.
    - If you see something that needs doing, do it. Stop delegating through store manager to department manager to section leader to colleague.

Distinct Culture

Former Employee - Various Head Office Roles  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Various Head Office Roles in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Consistent direction of business, head office location in centre of Leeds, depending on department atmosphere can vary from casual to formal to schoolyard. Relatively easy to move around Head Office roles.

Cons

Small minded, indvidual's success dependent on breeding a very specific set of attributes that run through the company - arrogance, general lack of wider thought and very short term view. Poor pay and benefits.

Worked for ASDA? Contribute to the Community!