ASDA

Be The First To
Add Photos

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke

Andy Clarke

Pros
  • Benefits are great and the 10% discount always helps(in 15 reviews)

• For most it is good pay for easy work, especially if you run a till(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff"(in 9 reviews)

• Queue clarity and general checkout atmosphere is awful and does nothing for shop floor maintenance(in 6 reviews)

An absolute nightmare

Colleague (Current Employee)

ProsDo not even consider it especially after the recent re-structure

ConsInefficient/inexperienced managers who give instructions and then blame the colleague when things go wrong. The managers now in place will almost certainly fail due to their inexperience. They all think they are God and nobody knows better than them. Will give Asda 12 months and they will then be struggling to survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your colleagues a chance and listen to them. They know more than you

Asda is not a bad company to work for

ProsNice colleagues, good working hours, easy job

Conssome management, too much change in higher roles which causes alot of problems in store, changes things in store that are working well to make more problems

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE

ProsFRIENDLY, GOOD MANAGEMENT, BENEFITS, perks, well structured

ConsLATE SHIFTS, NO extra shifts, little BENEFITS, night work, heavy work in seasonal time

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Penny pinching at the expense of managers

Department Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFlexibility with hours and the people in store are great to work with. Diverse workforce. 10% discount.

ConsManagers expected to work 60+ hours each week for no extra pay then over half being made redundant. If you want to get on in Asda be a woman. They are openly sexist. Very hard to progress otherwise

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after what you've got. Current strategy is driving away the good managers and keeping the kiddies at half the salary. This business will shortly implode.

Your treat fairly, and as an individual... amongst a great team.

Section Leader (Former Employee) Blackpool, England (UK)

ProsYou get good breaks, fairly treat, given opportunities to further yourself... its a really good place to work. It was honestly like one big family. Even now, the few times i shop there, the staff are so lovely and welcoming.

ConsThe wages aren't that great, but you have to understand, food has become expensive. And supermarkets competitive aim is to have the lowest prices. Wages come with responsibility.... and if you are willing to do overtime, the wages arfe there.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would tell a colleague not to do it, dont do it yourself.

Good introduction to working life.

Checkout Colleague (Current Employee) Winsford, North West England, England (UK)

ProsEnjoyable, friendly work atmosphere. There was often overtime available for those who worked hard and wanted some. I was trained on several other departments and quite often did other tasks which helped bring some variety to my job.

ConsThere isn't really much scope for growth, I was excellent at what I did and scored 100% on all of my audits (about ten of them), yet due to the number of more experienced colleagues I'd have had to wait a while for a management opportunity. Repetitive job actions. (about half) Other employees were always moaning over very little.

Advice to Senior ManagementASDA gave a great introduction of what it's like to work within a big organisation, my advice would be to improve the attitude and overall happiness of colleagues, and to utilise the talents of those whom you employ.

Part time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood, fun atmosphere. Met some great people who made shift work easier. Able to swap shifts when I needed to. Excellent discounts.

ConsWas never offered a full time position. Understandably though, it was difficult to get time off at Christmas. More variety in skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore full time positions

It was great working with Asda.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

ProsWell best thing for me was flexible timings. You can find a job with the timing which suits your life. Although its a cheapest super market but they still give discount to their employees which is wonderful:)

ConsI feel there is a lack of training and development for employees. and if there is any its not well commnicated around.

Advice to Senior ManagementI had no issues with managment what so ever but managers should not overly interfering.

corrupt establishment with a backwards work ethos.

Night-Shift Stocker (Former Employee) Nottingham, England (UK)

Prosto begin with, theres the false sense of security with the job, everyone starts off being nice, which makes you feel welcoming, but it soon tails off, the benefits in terms of the discount was ok, but you couldn't spend it on cigarettes which is the only real thing i would have used it for apart from a weekly shop.

Consto begin with, i worked in a store called HSC3, which was an asda.com hub, the training provided was completely unnecceary, and never actually got signed off because management was "too busy" which meant in order to use some equipment i had to make a fuss, and was still not allowed, even though i was trained they were too lazy to sign it off.

then, to make matters worse, asda has a "fair policy" on management and supervisory positions, where people who have worked for a long time get the opportunity, but instead they gave it to a power crazed, sadistic lunatic who's only goal was to make people miserable, because his life was miserable, who had only been there a couple of weeks!

then there was the staffing issue, i was contracted to work 6-11, then i took on night shift overtime, commonly working 12 hour night shifts, however, during my contracted hours, i noticed that soon people began to leave, they weren't being replaced, so then there were around 7 employees, working 32 aisles of rather large palettes which are meant for a minimum of 12-15 people, and then expected to finish by 9 o'clock in order to cut down paying hours, it was ridiculous, we were practically forced to leave early on some nights, as there was "nothing to do".

Advice to Senior Managementthe issues with asdas management scheme, is that its very easy to corrupt, if you fit in with the corruption, then its very easy to work the way up, leaving good, decent people shut out as they aren't part of the clique. unfortunately, i was disciplined by a GM, for bringing up the fact that he parked in a disabled space right next to the front door, where there were only 2 disabled spaces, and there were actually colleagues who worked there were actually disabled being forced to park at a distance. soon after, i gained a blue badge, and started parking in "his spot" after presenting the blue badge i was disciplined for insolence.

Suits my life at the moment

Checkout Operator (Current Employee) Poole, England (UK)

ProsYou have your set hours every week, so you know when your working and not. Overtime is easy to come by and you can pick and choose what suits you. The staff discount is a great bonus.

ConsWhen it is busy, there are less opportunities to do other tasks. The role can be a bit boring doing the same thing all the time. It would be good to have more opportunities to get off the till and do other things.

Advice to Senior Managementit would be good to get till trained staff varying their roles more to include self scan and kiosk and customer service so the job becomes more variable and people can explore their strengths and weaknesses.

Worked for ASDA? Contribute to the Community!