ASDA Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.2

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • Only positive I could think of was the 10% discount (in 20 reviews)

• Flexible hours, local to my house at the time (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 10 reviews)

• Queue clarity and general checkout atmosphere is awful and does nothing for shop floor maintenance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

An Excellent Part-time Employer

Former Employee - Cashier in Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A great philosophy and mission statement which is impressed upon every employee from day one. The staff are always treated like the most precious commodity in the store and communication channels were made clear. Plus The subsidised canteen, friendly colleagues and extensive time-off options made my time there very enjoyable.

Cons

Difficult customers, sometimes overwhelming staff shortages, and lack of formal training. The company's recruitment process was effective although was somewhat overbearing and may have alienated some older candidates if not handled sensitively.

Maintain and improve training packages for long-term employees, keep the mission statement and benefits.

Asda

I worked at ASDA

Pros

Not a bad student job

Cons

The pay and pay rises are appalling

Security Colleague

Current Employee - Security Colleague in Woking, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Security Colleague in Woking, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a fast paced environment, with a very warm, friendly and extremely helpful management team who are available to be called upon any time.

Cons

There really aren't any! If you want negative comments purely for the sake of negative comments, then... perhaps the in-store coffee could be of a better quality.

Bring-in a massage therapist once a month to reward your colleagues with a complimentary treatment...

Get paid for being dirt on the company shoe

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Got paid each month
    Free Christmas dinner

Cons

Forced to work longer than contracted
    Sneaky tricks to avoid you taking a full break
    A never ending workload
    A never satisfied boss
    Lies at training to simply boost morale that never come to fruition
    Promotion based on favoritism and nothing to do with ability
    "overtime bans" that block all overtime meaning you cannot rely on overtime hours
    Rude staff
    False promises

Follow your promises to staff
    Treat staff as people, not numbers.

need to start looking after staff

Former Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser

I worked at ASDA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

very few pros, half decent discount, fellow employees are the only thing that gets you through the day.. and they're good at transferring staff between stores

Cons

pharmacy side of the business is ran at an unsafe level of staffing by managers that don't have any understanding of the pharmaceutical industry, no progression prospects, wage of pharmacy workers has no reflection of the additional responsibilities and is far below the industry's average

invest some money into you pharmacies. after working in your dispensary and moving to another pharmacy group I can tell you that the running of your pharmacies is a joke. they are ran at minimal staffing levels, unorganised, rotas being put up 3 days in advance is NOT good enough. customers have no respect for the job role of an asda dispenser and this is directly a consequence of current working conditions

Worked 12 years from colleague through to management & used to enjoy my work there.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The People, both colleagues & customers. Good training & transferable skills for future career moves is a bonus.

Cons

In management no work life balance due to crazy Rota's. Expectation to drop life for work whenever required. Pay is not competitive.

Think more about current customers, not just future online customers. Treat Managers with more respect & communicate more. It would earn mutual respect & increase moral.

Nightshift nightmares

Current Employee - General Assistant in Bury, North West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - General Assistant in Bury, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There was a time I could of wrote quite a lot in this section. Hmmm....10% off, although it has to be approved at the self serve checkouts so I tend to skip it otherwise I'm likely to lose 10% of the day stood there waiting.

Cons

Right! Where do I start? Things on the nightshift have got worse by the day over the last year especially. There is staff leaving all the time and they don't get replaced. The extra slack is obviously picked up by the remaining staff. The company are squeezing us to the point everyone feels like giving up. The moral has gone so low that after being around everyone after only an hour of starting work you feel the need to run for miles. The company honestly doesn't care about the nightshift in the slightest. They also closed the canteen down for us (but not on days) which is a massive blow for many of us who loved a hot meal to help get through the shift, especially when we have more work to do than our skeleton staff can cope with. Not had a one to one or anything of the like in over 4 years. The pay was fine in my opinion but as things have got so bad now I feel the money isn't even close to being worth it. Can't really bring myself to do overtime anymore as I'm just too tired. When my days off come round it's really hard to switch to get Into day mode in order to see daylight, family/friends, get to places before they close like banks, hairdressers etc. really isn't an easy way of living life so when you're only getting paid so much and things have gotten so bad it's just not worth it anymore. I'll admit I'm having a rant here but don't be mistaken in thinking I'm alone in feeling like this, as it truly is mirrored in every colleague in my store on nights. I'd happily go on and on but as always...I'm too tired and can't be bothered. It's not like someone high up is going to read this and think things need to be improved. They'll just think I'm an ungrateful colleague who should be thankful I have a job. Maybe that's true but as I said I used to be happy over the years but now I'm far from it. So yeah it's gone st.

It's not the night managers fault we're understaffed so we struggle to get finished every morning. Help is needed.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Staff discount, emerging relationships with the public, flexible working hours, overtime if wanted. very good at giving holiday times that are requested

Cons

Very much a place that is "if your face fits", lots of rules that work for some but not for others which can lead to major resentment. Major differences in break time between departments

Be more face on, I can go weeks on end without seeing a manager

Shop Assistant

I worked at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay for the work done
    Friendly environment
    Genuinely nice colleagues
    Good benefits (such as discount on shopping)
    I enjoyed working there, it's excellent as a job just to pay the bills because as soon as you leave, you leave any worries or stress there too.

Cons

Very unorganised
    Managers tend to be less than effective
    Too many big egos in management that need to get over themselves and concentrate on the actual job
     I wouldn't want to stay longer than I did because it gets so boring, doing the same old thing every single day. The managers don't make me want to progress either, because I wouldn't want to be the same as them.

My department manager didn't listen or care

Former Employee - Home Shopping Delivery Driver in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A supervisor that was trying his best to keep the department organised and together. I was a home delivery driver and the interaction with the customers was the only shining light in a terrible job and company.

Cons

Terrible rate of pay for a huge company, we are the worst paid delivery drivers of all the retailers; a manageress who spent all of her time in the canteen or in the management office; we (the department colleagues) couldn't even get our contracted hours each week as we were frequently stood down on the day we were supposed to work if the home shopping was quiet; no hygiene policy (mould in back of vans); no controlled communication (it was like chinese whispers); personal details such as disciplinary documents left on show for all to read; no department meetings in the 1.5 years I was there; no yearly reviews for colleagues on department; no organisation of staff even though there was a massive emphasis on wages yet colleagues were often stood around wondering what needed to be done; no systems in place.

Listen to your staff and stop burying your heads and hoping problems will go away