ASDA

www.asda.co.uk
Profile Unclaimed

Was good, now not so good

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

There isn't any. It's a job?

Cons

Pay isn't great.
    Leadership/management. Just not the right people in charge.
    They employ and promote family members foremost. Almost everyone in an asda store is related to someone. So there's people not getting jobs after a perfect interview and people getting jobs that have no work ethic.
    Rotas are done the day before the new week and you're expected to adhere to this.
    No career progression. They have restructured management letting go 50% of department managers across all stores and hiring a lot more team leaders to work crazy hours for hardly anything more than an average colleague. They promoted people to these roles through favouritism and the easier ones to mould or manipulate (with no chance of progression you wouldn't work 50+hours a week for 70p more, nobody would).
    They expect you to work to the point you are sweating and pay you buttons for it.
    They don't allow you study leave like they used to or career breaks.
    They monitor a lot on camera now. Don't know if they have been asked to do this.
    Management cover for one another.
    They monitor your breaks when they have no reason to then take excessive breaks and extra breaks.
    I've seen good colleagues who are hard working being squeezed out the door.
    The values of the company that were presented to me when I initially started are completely non-existent.
    As they have cut back you are forced to do jobs you weren't hired to do. If you don't comply you are presented with an ultimatum.
    They used to give you incentive to carry out your job to a high standard with gift vouchers etc. however they have stopped this.
    You get 10% discount which isn't great and a double discount day however on double discount day there is less discounted items than any other time of the year.

The company have made changes to staff on a mass scale, in a short period of time - which should have never been done internally. The speed in which the changes have taken place has been the main issue. The main reason asda has done well is it's relationship with the customers. Colleagues who are unhappy will find it hard to maintain this. You've dug your own grave. This has been since late 2014.
    I used to enjoy working for Asda and now I loathe every day I go in to work.

I don't know where to start

Great place to be a colleague, tough life if you want to progress

Former Employee - Section Leader in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Section Leader in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at ASDA

Pros

Great benefits. A lot of folks have been with asda a long time so there's a strong sense of belonging. As a colleague you are well looked after with plenty of options available to you for shift swaps, 'me time' (unpaid days off). In my store there's always plenty of overtime available and I believe this is the same for most stores.

I would recommend working here as a colleague.

Cons

Recent restructure of management has seen the opportunities to progress beyond Section Leader diminish. It is however far easier to become a Section Leader and due to the need to fill all positions in the last 6 months, there has been an influx of inexperienced people stepping up (think straight out of school and never had a job, let alone worked in retail) leading to increased pressure on those of us who are experienced, as we have to keep them above water as well as doing our own job.

When area managers come to visit there is a mad rush to get the shop looking its best, quite often with managers/section leaders putting in extra hours to bring up the standards. In my opinion, senior management should see how our stores look on a typical day, with the budgets and resources we have.

There has been a recruitment crisis in the Aberdeen area recently, mainly due to the fact that you can get an entry level position in an oil industry office and get paid more than in a supermarket. Again this has led to the employment of many who otherwise wouldn't get through group selection, simply because they are an extra pair of hands.

Spend time on the shop floor with the colleagues. Work alongside them. See what they are really doing everyday, not what the store manager wants you to see. Don't turn store visits into a farce. If the shop is anywhere near perfect at 5pm on a Friday, it because a certain group of people have been there since 5am and bust a gut trying to get everything done.

And regarding visits.... Don't announce when your coming, just randomly turn up and go around the shop discreetly. You'll see far more truth.

Making the best of my decision to work here

Current Employee - Checkout Colleague in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Colleague in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- I have met many friendly colleagues who work in similar roles that I do, who are genuinely nice and helpful. Some of them are still optimistic and perhaps more thick skinned than I am. They do an amazing job, are still pleasant to talk to and are optimistic and ethical, hard working. I applied for Asda because the employees seem happy, so I presumed they are treated well as employees. Now I know that it's part of their personality. Not situational.
    - After 3 months of working here, I got my discount card which is appreciated
    - Benefits
    - I haven't been asked to do too much overtime, but that's because I mentioned to them my health issues at interview as well as had a telephone session with occupational health as I realised I would need to look out for myself
    - Sometimes, management can be professional and compassionate, but it really depends on how the person is, has nothing to do with any leadership training or understanding that people need to be treated with respect
    - I'm earning money after being out of work for a year
    - I work part time so have days to recuperate
    - Interview was friendly, if a bit non representative of real working environment
    - Windows in the store. Huge ones. They allow us to get real sunlight. One of the main reasons I chose this role over John Lewis.
    - Learning curve for me about work in retail - how to discern between truth and embellishment, and about lowering expectations.

Cons

- Checkout colleagues have no idea what's going on since they are not allowed to join the company huddles (meetings) when they occur. In fact, I had gone into work early one day and joined one and the store manager was UNHAPPY and mentioned it was strange to see a checkout colleague at a huddle!
    - Company values about respect for individual do not seem to be reflected in the way I have personally fund management to behave
    - Management is stressed and overworked, which has been taken down to section leaders. They always seem so stressed and overworked... and then it goes onto the shopfloor staff. I hold compassion for them, yet surely effective leadership training (LDPs) would benefit all.
    - Ineffective to no communication
    - We are just numbers... I try my best to not allow it to get to me, but I don't feel valued
    - Variable moods of customers and management. I feel that there have been times I have been talked down to by management, and its unfair as I am reasonably sane and intelligent
    - We haven't got proper chairs on checkout, and it will affect our spines and health. I choose to stand because it feels less dangerous than sitting on broken chairs.
    - Very minimal and poor training, expected to learn on the job. Only one day of watching training videos. Which is true, yet it affects service in store. I had a customer shout at me for not knowing my job. She was right. I didn't have training to help her in that instance.
    - A lot of things are not on the system, customers constantly ask me to check if something is on special offer as advertised, because they are so used to having something being advertised on offer, but not on offer at the till
    - We don't have fridge freezers on the till, so A LOT of meat and other food goes as waste. I feel sad that customers do not value food at all, or choose to put it back themselves if they change their mind and that we are under-staffed so the runners cannot always be putting back food.
    - I filled in a survey regarding my opinions around a month or so ago. Was an opportunity t speak up, but as it was towards the end of my shift and I didn't have time to plan my responses, perhaps not entirely representative of my views.
    - The term "overspending on wages". Understaffing affects service and the holistic health of those colleagues who are encouraged, persuaded or choose to take overtime. Loads of it.
    -Customers come first, then the company, then management... which doesn't seem to tie in with an egalitarian view I held.
    - This might just be particular to my store, but it seems that management are not too concerned with the sometimes less than professional attitude of certain colleagues, even when it's flagged up. I get a few colleagues who make me feeel uncomfortable working there, so I have forced myself to ignore them when I am genuinely a friendly person.
    - It seems my store is not the only one with similar issues, which is why I finally chose to write this review
    - I do not feel happy or valued here, and therefore due to situational reasons will not be able to continue for very long, as my mental health is beginning to suffer due to stress and disappointment. Being forced to resign is a con in any workplace. Welcome to the real world, I guess

- Please have all management go for a Leadership Development Course which explains the four archetypes of leadership: donkeys, foxes, sheep and owls.
    - Better communication
    - Upgrade the checkout systems
    - Please put your employees a close second to the customers. That is true leadership
    - Please allow for support and growth for all employees. We are extremely intelligent and talented.
    - Please hire the right people for management and section leaders. Sometimes it seems as though there aren't enough in the pool of eligible candidates and that's why you've hired the people you have, but surely that can't be true.
    - Please give a week's full of training!!! It is needed and worth it.
    - Lots more, but most of it is utopian and idealistic :)

working in ASDA

I worked at ASDA

Pros

very flexible, the job work around you, to your preferred hours and dates. can be easy going and friendly.

Cons

limited prospects, badly paid and at times can be physical. managers can be distant

People are great, management hasn't a clue.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Decent wage, good employee benefits

Cons

Poor mid tier management.

Not Bad.

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Good management, pre-determined hours, plenty of available overtime and good staff discount.

Cons

Repetitive and at times boring work.

Part time sales assistant

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Clear focus on teamwork and collaboration for mutual gain. There is an evident concern towards a superior client service and employee welfare at the firm.

Cons

I feel that it is sometimes difficult to get noticed in a corporation as large as this one. There should also be a canteen supplying colleagues with food at major meal times.

Section Leader

Former Employee - Section Leader Services in Cannock, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Section Leader Services in Cannock, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good teams, nice people, pay is halfway to decent, relatively flexible, job safety, I have never had an issue with the management.

Cons

Long days can be expected, they only like to progress the 'favourites', pay should be more based on the job being done.

Progress more than just favourites and consider the pay because people in supermarkets are being paid the same as those in superstores and I know for a fact that a lot less is expected in superstores for the same money...

A really fun and rewarding experience

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Staff are very friendly, good pay, managers like to see you progress

Cons

there are no cons really for working at asda

Good

Current Employee - Selling Champion in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Selling Champion in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work place, reasonable wage fits in with my life, Section leaders are slowly stepping up to the mark.

Cons

funny holiday systems, took holidays didn't get paid a fair amount as I only work part time, management said they would sort it and they never did.

Remember the culture of ASDA lot of cuts are happening which need to move forward however I can notice a big shift and a lot of colleges are loosing faith.