ASDA

Updated December 21, 2014
3.1

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • 10% Discount benefit as well as all the flexibility and development opportunities (in 23 reviews)

• Flexible hours (when it suits the management) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Ordinary colleagues left to deal with mess made by mangers and section leaders (in 13 reviews)

• As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

SHOCKING.

Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Bolton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Bolton, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small perks like your discount card, promotional offers and benefits book. As well as corparate discounts for places like alton towers.

Cons

You're not treated as in individual; you're a number. Not enough staff to deal with the amount of work involved, managers expectations are too high. No support off senior members of staff. Constant hour cuts and job cuts. No praise for doing a good job or favours. Constant Q-BUSTER calls, meaning you can't get your own job done.

Treat staff more fairly; offer praise when a good job is done as well as rewards. Consider hiring more people to manage the amount of work involved. Deal with negligent people instead of praising them.

Management with no management skills, un-progressive money squandering company with terrible treatment of workforce.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at ASDA (more than 3 years)

Pros

Met some great people here.
    Learn't how to work very hard
    The new re-structuring of the organizational structure.

Cons

- Interview process of 5 - 9 hours, demanding team building and presentations without giving potential employees water, food or any clear understanding of job scope.
    - Store Managers that have no people skills.
    - Terrible Hygiene in the bakery.
    - Fresh food that is supposed to be chilled for 20 minutes being left out for up to 1 day at a time.
    - No team building sessions for existing colleagues
    - 12 week wait for discount card, which is monitored like a prison camp
    - Disbelief at ill colleagues phoning in to say so, with no support when returning to work
    - Thanked twice in 4 years.
    - 15 minute Breakfast breaks while management and 'Section Leaders' take up to 1 hour.
    - Lots of posturing from Section Leaders who are working for 60p more than everyone else for 65+ hours per week yet managers tell them they are important
    - Clique groups of married managers who are not married at work.

Focus on people instead of the telephone that is given on your sign off. Try some man-management and listening to ideas of the often creative workforce.

Section Leaders treat colleagues like they have no brain and Managers don't communicate with the colleagues.

Current Employee - Personal Shopper in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Personal Shopper in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues and nice working atmosphere but always pressure from above.

Cons

Not being listened to is the worst thing and knowing that you are quicker and more efficient if left to get on with it. Hard work and commitment not rewarded and too many changes of systems that are not improving the output.

Listen to concerns of team and not just Section Leaders who are under pressure from you as they take it out on colleagues who are already overworked and it creates a bad feeling. Colleagues know which practices work best and are never consulted. When things go wrong the colleagues bear the brunt despite them working flat out with little or no thanks.

Online Picker Rate

Current Employee - Online Picker in Basildon, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Online Picker in Basildon, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to working with this company, diabolical hourly rate for online pickers, on your feet for 4 hours before getting a 20 mins break, and all for minimum wage? Picking rate is 110 items per hour, and woe betide anyone who falls below that !!! It's like working for Scrooge, and now more divisions added to Ambient section to collect? for the same money....absolutely disgusting

Cons

See Pros !! - Lull you into a false sense of security

ok part time work

Current Employee - Grocery Colleague in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Grocery Colleague in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

quite flexible with shifts and willing to give overtime when you need it

the other colleagues I work with are very helpful and nice

the job itself is pretty easy when you know what you're doing

it's rewarding when you are actually able to help a customer and they're grateful.

Cons

lack of communication between management to section leaders to colleagues

expected to just know what we've to do during the shift

no structure to the working day, eg- you basically go into work not knowing what you're doing with no routine to follow etc

not enough training given at the start, no actual on the job training just expected to pick up things as you go along

hard work goes unnoticed

please schedule huddles at the start of each shift as it can be confusing when you first start your shift and don't know where to begin!

make a timeplan/timetable to stick up on the warehouse wall or something of jobs needing done throughout the day.

Relaxed, enjoyable but ultimately mind numbing

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, great people, often flexible working hours, interesting customers, develops people skills, managers generally leave you to get on with the job, great place to work as a young person.

Cons

Monotony of the work, often difficult to get holidays, feel as if you're just a pair of arms and legs, expected to do favours for the company that never does favours in return, very poor pay, very difficult to raise a family on the ASDA wage.

Employees as Asda need a pay rise as many are very apathetic towards the company who do not pay them enough to live on. If Aldi and Lidl can do it, so can you!

Great place to work with great benifits

Current Employee - Security Colleague in Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

oppitunities for those that want them, flexibility for those that need it, excellent for working mums and dads

Cons

really need to be flexible in the hours you can work however this is the same in any retail roles,

please listen and react to experienced colleagues, 99% of people want to do a good job and love been told they are doing a good job, its not all about money

OK

Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people, good staff room, flexiable

Cons

Lack of management, pay often wrong, timetables mixed up

better pay

Manager was horrible, department was understaffed and company cut staff

Former Employee - Bakery Assistant
    Former Employee - Bakery Assistant

I worked at ASDA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some staff very friendly.
    Chances to try new things.

Cons

I worked on Bakery department for 5 weeks, manager kept threatening to sack me when I did one little thing wrong and I was put under an enormous amount of pressure. I was also told off for not doing orders and expected to know how to order 2 weeks after I had started and was expected to run the bakery after only one week of being there.
    Due to feeling tired, upset and stressed out by the pressure of the manager I ended up quitting after only 5 weeks of working there.

Listen to the staff.
    Do not expect so much of a new person and understand that mistakes do happen.
    Managers and Section leaders need to communicate better with each other and not keep telling staff different rules
    Do not threaten to sack someone because it may just come back to bite you!

Ok work for part time, problems with managers.

Former Employee - ASDA Colleague
    Former Employee - ASDA Colleague

I worked at ASDA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worked with some great people and once you got a hang of the work it wasn't too taxing.

Cons

Unprofessional and sometimes aggresive management, I didn't get too much bother but saw another employee take flak despite putting a lot of hard work in. The cause seemed to be down to lack of presence of the management and their subsequent reliance on word of mouth from other members of staff.

First particular incident that sticks out is when anonymous feedback was taken online about the line manager's performance - we were told by the manager to give positive feedback on this. When I was completing the survey, another manager was stood over our shoulder watching, me and another employee had to ask them a couple of times to move away and I could still see them lurking in my peripheral.

Second one had a manager boast about revoking unpaid holiday pay from a member of staff due to a no show on their last shift. They threatened to do the same to me if I didn't turn up for my last shift (despite having no absences). All completely untrue as accrued holiday pay is a legal right.

I feel a lot of the management problems were due to overworked managers working large amounts of hours. They relied on team leaders who were on a little more than regular staff but with a big hike in responsibility.