ASDA

Updated August 19, 2014

3.3

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • Benefits are great and the 10% discount always helps (in 16 reviews)

• For most it is good pay for easy work, especially if you run a till (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 9 reviews)

• Queue clarity and general checkout atmosphere is awful and does nothing for shop floor maintenance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Dissapointing

Current Employee - Home Shopping Driver  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Home Shopping Driver in Leeds, England (UK)

Pros

It just gets me out and about

Cons

Just getting through the day

Value the people who work for you

Would rather work for Robert Mugabe.

Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant  in  Rhondda, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Rhondda, Wales (UK)

Pros

Only positive I could think of was the 10% discount.
    Very nice people on the shop floor but management always seemed like they were only being nice to you to get a favour out of you and then throw you under bus as soon as you made a slight mistake or lack of pace in work for whatever reason.

Cons

Nobody I worked with including myself felt like a valued employee, all like we were expendable robots there to please the managers and help them look good only for them to get massive bonuses and us to get a tiny £200 bonus.
    Management stuck together and often had suspiciously long breaks. Management need to stop pinpointing certain colleagues as this is what will stop people working to their potential when being prodded constantly.
    In my case, my manager made a huge deal when i wanted to take time off and often making it seem like a favour was being done to me in order to have the time off.

Cutting hours of employees and making the shop floor employees carry the workload with less people in is just a disaster waiting to happen. While I worked there I can distinctly remember 2 people within the space of 12 months going off onto the sick as they were exhausted from stress and increased workload.
    Would advise employing managers who actually work for their wage rather than suck-ups who got there by backstabbing and lying. Haven't been happier since I quit working there.

Asda is not a bad company to work for

Pros

Nice colleagues, good working hours, easy job

Cons

some management, too much change in higher roles which causes alot of problems in store, changes things in store that are working well to make more problems

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Penny pinching at the expense of managers

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Flexibility with hours and the people in store are great to work with. Diverse workforce. 10% discount.

Cons

Managers expected to work 60+ hours each week for no extra pay then over half being made redundant. If you want to get on in Asda be a woman. They are openly sexist. Very hard to progress otherwise

Look after what you've got. Current strategy is driving away the good managers and keeping the kiddies at half the salary. This business will shortly implode.

Saving WALMARTS money everyday!

Current Employee - Bakery Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Bakery Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

10% colleague discount, Managers Sunday allowance and some smart price offers

Cons

Poor senior Leadership, Poor salary packages for Managers with added responsibilities every day. appalling career progression Path - your face has to fit to get promoted. Senior Management/ Directors doesn't have a clue whats happening on stores. yet Major Decisions are made by few on top affects so many so badly at store levels.

Please change the Company's Belief from "Trust is at the Heart of our Business" to "£Money£ is at the heart of our business", Get real with your Pledges and stop making Presidential visits to Stores.

It has taken time to get used to.

Current Employee - Checkout Operator  in  Stirling, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Stirling, Scotland (UK)

Pros

I am a very shy person, the one thing I do cherish that I have taken away from Asda is a built in my confidence. Others are usually very nice tome and help me out when I appear stuck. I have spoke and met people I would never have spoke to before aswell.

Everyone works well together.

I got the hours which suited my personal life // flexiable

Cons

I can be disheartened very easily and I find that customers can be cruel at times. This can really upset me hugely. Some other colleagues can be hurtful and look down on me. I was changed departments without being asked or consulted, I was simply told and I am not happy with my new hours.

Management have always treated me fairly and tried to make me as comfortable as possible.

corrupt establishment with a backwards work ethos.

Former Employee - Night-Shift Stocker  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Night-Shift Stocker in Nottingham, England (UK)

Pros

to begin with, theres the false sense of security with the job, everyone starts off being nice, which makes you feel welcoming, but it soon tails off, the benefits in terms of the discount was ok, but you couldn't spend it on cigarettes which is the only real thing i would have used it for apart from a weekly shop.

Cons

to begin with, i worked in a store called HSC3, which was an asda.com hub, the training provided was completely unnecceary, and never actually got signed off because management was "too busy" which meant in order to use some equipment i had to make a fuss, and was still not allowed, even though i was trained they were too lazy to sign it off.

then, to make matters worse, asda has a "fair policy" on management and supervisory positions, where people who have worked for a long time get the opportunity, but instead they gave it to a power crazed, sadistic lunatic who's only goal was to make people miserable, because his life was miserable, who had only been there a couple of weeks!

then there was the staffing issue, i was contracted to work 6-11, then i took on night shift overtime, commonly working 12 hour night shifts, however, during my contracted hours, i noticed that soon people began to leave, they weren't being replaced, so then there were around 7 employees, working 32 aisles of rather large palettes which are meant for a minimum of 12-15 people, and then expected to finish by 9 o'clock in order to cut down paying hours, it was ridiculous, we were practically forced to leave early on some nights, as there was "nothing to do".

the issues with asdas management scheme, is that its very easy to corrupt, if you fit in with the corruption, then its very easy to work the way up, leaving good, decent people shut out as they aren't part of the clique. unfortunately, i was disciplined by a GM, for bringing up the fact that he parked in a disabled space right next to the front door, where there were only 2 disabled spaces, and there were actually colleagues who worked there were actually disabled being forced to park at a distance. soon after, i gained a blue badge, and started parking in "his spot" after presenting the blue badge i was disciplined for insolence.

A company of many sides!

Current Employee - Stock Controller (In Charge of A Section)  in  Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Stock Controller (In Charge of A Section) in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Pros

The team are a friendly group and are generally easy to talk to as are some of the managers, the wage is not bad, although considering management expectations could be better, but the benefits are good. The job can be very varied and also is quite entertaining, it is also nice to be appreciated by some of the customers for a good job.

Cons

The biggest problems I see from working at Asda all relate to the short termist view of managers and head office. For example they will make decisions based only on the here and now, without considering the potential impact of the decisions, that often leads to bigger issues, which they then pass the blame on to other people.
    Another problem is the way that some managers will promise things like help or progression and then conveniently find ways to avoid their promises, which causes many staff to be demotivated.
    There is also a distinct lack of progression despite what was advertised when I started. It also seems to be based on who you like and how long you have been at asda rather than your abilities and management capability.
    There is also a distinct lack of appreciation for good work, new ideas or use of initiative as well as an expectation that you are always available.
    There are also problems with visits from other managers as the store panics and ends up stressing everyone out to get things perfect (which they should be anyway).
    They managers and business also seem to ignore the company values such as respect for the individual and always having integrity.
    The final issue is that most staff are usually overstretched which leads to more sick days and even more overstreched staff.

However a lot of the problems stem from three areas, one is that the night staff seem to get away with doing far less work than the day team. Two the managers are unwilling to solve issues due to the coflicts they would have to resolve with the night team and also head office. The third restraint is head office who seem to have unrealistic expetations and don't like hearing the truth it seems.

Listen to your colleagues, aim to fulfill the company values and also look to improve staff working conditions.

Also when out visiting stores, why not ask staff what they think and make notes

Both shopping and working at Asda are entirely dependent on the staff, whom were a mixed bag.

Former Employee - Pizza Counters  in  Falkirk, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Pizza Counters in Falkirk, Scotland (UK)

Pros

As with any large conglomeration, the rules are consistent throughout the other stores in which some friends work, holidays, holiday pay, monthly wage and breaks were all comfortably structured. The canteen was always quite alright to be in, and I had the opportunity to work alongside some genuinely lovely people.

Cons

Unfortunately there were other coworkers who had grown bitter with management and interacted somewhat miserably and spitefully toward staff and customers. There was a significant lack of listening to each other.

Listening is a key but obvious strategy, as is the celebration of team achievements in addition to the highlighting of underperformance (there was an abundance of the latter, without much regard for context or circumstance). The management style was very blanketed and uninterested.

Great colleagues, terrible management

Former Employee - ASDA Colleague  in  Birkenhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - ASDA Colleague in Birkenhead, England (UK)

Pros

Colleague recruitment is fantastic - I worked with some great and committed people, who really wanted to see their job done right.

Cons

Managers seem to want to poke their noses in on everything. I was left to my own most of the time, trusted to organise the department as fit to increase sales, but every time a new manager came in I would have to go through the process of having the department reorganised by them, being blamed for a drop in sales, and working my backside off to get the department back the way it was before they arrived. Pointless shower.

Your shopfloor colleagues are fabulous and deserve more backing. Your revolving door system with managers is terrible and needs stopping.

Worked for ASDA? Contribute to the Community!