ASDA Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Sales assistant

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

good canteen, employee discounts, holidays, vending machines, that's it

Cons

Long hours, inflexible, unprofessional, favouritism, very short breaks

2. Squeezing Out the Fun

Former Employee - Petrol Supervisor/Cash Office Cashier in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best bunch of people I have ever worked with (colleagues, not managers) Flexible so perfect for students, parents, semi-retired people

Cons

The whole supermarket industry in the UK is in real trouble, particularly the 'big 4'. People shop based on either brand loyalty or based on price. No one is going to pay a premium to be loyal to ASDA so they are (correctly) trying to cut the prices, although not as effectively as Aldi and Lidl. The upshot of this is that they have been putting more work on less staff to cut costs. Layers of management have been laid off and replaced by 'section leaders' - people doing the same job for half the money. Asda was once a fun place to work and there are still many good people there but don't expect to be paid fairly to reflect your increased role.

Advice to Management

You are right to aim to be the lowest priced supermarket - Tesco are stuck in the middle and in the long run are in trouble. Look at the whole experience of every service line you offer and assess which bits add value to the customer and which are superfluous. And pay a fair price to farmers for milk! The positive publicity will offset the cost - think of it as a marketing cost.

3. Good Colleagues, No Support

Current Employee - Section Leader in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues want to do well and achieve; pay is surprisingly competitive with players like Sainsburys and Tesco; secure job as its part of Walmart.

Cons

Section Managers often give empty promises of support and training or are mostly too far stretched to do anything meaningful, what changes do happen often takes months to come into effect.

Advice to Management

Things need to improve and quickly, just giving us tools to monitor department performance would be a great help otherwise the business will continue to decline and customers will continue to walk.

5. They Ate Really Cool

I have been working at ASDA part-time

Pros

They are a really good company to work for if you need encouragement and want to progress they will work with you. If you are a student or a working parent they are flexible and accommodating. you learn a lot of transferable skills.

Cons

No cons a job is a job if you know why you are there the job serves its purpose.

Advice to Management

Chill out

6. Nice company to work for

Pros

Friendly atmosphere to work in and very good benefits for employees. Opportunities to progress available if you're interested in moving up the ranks.

Cons

Some managers not bothered about lower level employees, just seen as anothrr number. No sick pay. Lower salary than some other supermarkets.

Shop Floor Assistant - Part Time

Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Gravesend, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Gravesend, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours, sociable colleagues and atmosphere

Cons

Some good management, some very poor management, management care little for their employees

Advice to Management

Take more consideration for employees

8. homeshopping driver

Current Employee - Homeshopping Driver in Saint Austell, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Homeshopping Driver in Saint Austell, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

get to see new places

Cons

the pay is not very good

9. Graduate Retail Manager

Current Employee - Graduate Management Trainee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Management Trainee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people at ASDA are by far the biggest pro and each of the 6 stores I have worked in take the concept "team" very seriously. There is also ample opportunity for coaching from experienced members of management around any area of the job.

Cons

Training is diabolical - very much a ticky box exercise. On the graduate scheme there is little to no opportunity to shape your own path - your roles, the duration you hold them for and their location are very much dictated to you by the regional teams. This only worsens after you have completed the scheme. Post re-structure, there is even less opportunity for advancement and competition is even more fierce for any step up - you really have to ingratiate yourself with the right people. Saddest of all is seeing the atmosphere drain out of our stores since the re-structure in 2014, particularly in the Section Leader and colleague populations - I hope the company find their way again soon for the colleagues' sake.

Advice to Management

Network like your career depends on it - because it does! Value your Section Leaders and make them your top priority - they are your eyes and ears on the ground and are, in my opinion, the most dedicated of the colleague population. Resilience and self-awareness will be your strongest assets in this job.

10. Just awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eastbourne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eastbourne, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA (More than 3 years)

Pros

10% discount that must literally be it, there's no other benefits to this company. Perhaps sharesave if you can afford it which colleagues with families often can't.

Cons

Deleted me off the system 3 days before I left, so I couldn't use my discount card or clock in. I've witnessed them selling out of date meat to families to try and beat waste budgets, although couldn't say anything because they have a social media policy in which you are fired for slandering them in any such way. I was not long ago told that I can be spoken to like rubbish because I'm a colleague but must treat managers with the upright respect (by a manager of course).

Advice to Management

You have colleagues there who have been at ASDA for 20 years and now want to leave because of the attitudes of up and coming management and new changes giving supervisors a lot of authority. You are a multi-million pound company don't be stingy on hours because you're killing staff motivation and driving your company into the ground!

11. Enjoyed my time

I worked at ASDA full-time

Pros

Met some of the best people and made friends for life, this included my manager at the time.

Cons

Some members of upper management were morons with no regard for the staff they were tasked to handle

Advice to Management

Don't forget you were on the shop floor before you went into management, take the time to see how ideas you implement would work by asking your staff

RSS Feed </> Embed