ASDA Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.3

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • Benefits are great and the 10% discount always helps (in 16 reviews)

• For most it is good pay for easy work, especially if you run a till (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 9 reviews)

• Queue clarity and general checkout atmosphere is awful and does nothing for shop floor maintenance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at the Green Machine

Former Employee - Checkout Operator  in  York, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Checkout Operator in York, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time for less than a year

Pros

One of the best reasons to work here is the atmosphere and social aspects! I made a lot of fantastic friends with an employment span of less than a year. Everyone was absolutely lovely and helped me settle in well. The colleagues, supervisors and even the store manager were always friendly and always greeted me as if they had known me for years. It was easy to forget that it was a job because it was so friendly and relaxing. I really enjoyed all the new technology they were bringing in as well, such as the scan and go and rapid scan machines. Getting trained for these new machines was exciting and gave us a chance to promote our work places without having to be salesmen. Talking to customers was always nice too, it was good to know that being chatty and talkative was part of our job role, which made working there even more fun. I was given weekend hours contract due to being a student, which was actually tailored to benefit me which I thought was great because it meant that they had my interests in mind when deciding my hours. They thought it would be best for me and it was, meaning that I had a good work-life and education balance. The chance to be rewarded for our work was also good because I received an Asda star for getting 100% happy to help which I wasn't even expecting, making me even more motivated to get more.

Cons

Only thing I can say is that working on a checkout for hours on end is tiring and sometimes painful. So it would be nice to get some variety in terms of working on checkouts/self-scan/rapids/scan and go/shop floor/etc.

Checkout employees should be able to get a little switch around if working long hours as it adds some variety to the job and can reduce boredom. Also, when handing out over time, sometimes I felt a bit pressured to take it meaning that I didn't get much time off when I would have liked. But otherwise management were great!

its ok getting worse though

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

good pay, overtime available on most nights

Cons

too much work for little colleagues

happy to work in a friendly enviroment

Current Employee - Asda Process Colleague  in  Chelmsley Wood, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Asda Process Colleague in Chelmsley Wood, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great benefits and colleagues with interesting customers making every day that bit different

Cons

targets are achievable but very hard to maintain

listen to shop floor staff regulary and be polite

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people to work with

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Ipswich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Ipswich, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

colleagues are friendly and helpful. Great benefits including 10% off shopping, bonus each year, free uniform

Cons

not a great chance to progress in the job

maybe ask current colleagues if they'd like to become a supervisor or manager rather than employing new staff that have never worked for Asda

Working at ASDA is rewarding, fulfilling and never dull

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Warrington, North West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The pay in distribution side is good, the benefits are great and there are plenty of opportunities to develop and always something new to learn

Cons

The work can be physical and have time constraints, with rates to meet that mean you can't slack. sometiomes the jobs can be monotonous

May need to listen to those on the shop floor and trust their abilities a bit more

Family

Current Employee - ASDA Colleague  in  Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - ASDA Colleague in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You never get bored with the other colleagues that are around you sharing the experience of working with ASDA and they are a lot of time like an extended family as they go through the same crap you do on a day-to-day basis. The managers, too, have the capacity to have a giggle and a joke to make it seem like a better place to work.

Cons

The attitudes from the customers that we sometimes receive. We are automatically looked down on, despite trying our utmost to help them and there isn't really much we can do to show them that we're trying our best - they still see it as our fault when things go badly.

Think about the little guys a little more from our perspective.

Dissapointing

Current Employee - Home Shopping Driver  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Home Shopping Driver in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It just gets me out and about

Cons

Just getting through the day

Value the people who work for you

Horrible place to work...

Former Employee - Checkout Colleague  in  Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Checkout Colleague in Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't pinpoint any at all, I found the company to be the worst company I have ever worked for...

Cons

Management are only concerned with figures and statistics, when I worked here, I was genuinely sick whilst at work, and management made me stay at work despite it being against health and safety regulations. Being made to be happy 100% of the time even when having tins, food, money etc thrown at you by angry customers, otherwise you could face being sacked, its ridiculous.

Be more concerned with your workforce. after all they are

Good colleagues working together under management.

Former Employee - Checkout Operator
    Former Employee - Checkout Operator

I worked at ASDA part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly environment, everyones makes you feel welcome. Training etc provided isn't just standard training but also experience to make you feel welcome and get used to how things will be in the work place.

Cons

Management are less understanding than colleagues and treat you much like a cog in the machine and make you feel worthless.

Respect your employees more and make sure you understand their situations before judging them and thinking less of them. Also be more helpful, in a situation where you are uncomfortable coming in to work, you shouldn't be told 'oh is that all?' There should at least be some sort of advice or support offered.

An absolute nightmare

Current Employee - Colleague
    Current Employee - Colleague

I have been working at ASDA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Do not even consider it especially after the recent re-structure

Cons

Inefficient/inexperienced managers who give instructions and then blame the colleague when things go wrong. The managers now in place will almost certainly fail due to their inexperience. They all think they are God and nobody knows better than them. Will give Asda 12 months and they will then be struggling to survive.

Give your colleagues a chance and listen to them. They know more than you

Worked for ASDA? Contribute to the Community!