ASDA Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated September 23, 2014
3.2

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke
 Andy Clarke

Pros
  • Benefits are great and the 10% discount always helps (in 16 reviews)

• For most it is good pay for easy work, especially if you run a till (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 9 reviews)

• Queue clarity and general checkout atmosphere is awful and does nothing for shop floor maintenance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

224 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to wok

I have been working at ASDA

Pros

Professional environment
    Friendly and helpful colleagues
    Network building
    Great place to develop a career
    Celebrate a proactive self-development approach
    Flexible hours

Cons

Got to embrace the culture
    Not enough planning at times
    Can be chaotic and discouraging if you are not a self-starter

Its a great place to be and to tell someone that you work for a well known company.

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant  in  Wembley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Wembley, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the best thing about working at asda is all the good benefits they give to there collegues

Cons

there are many different challenges and struggles of working here but all in all a good oppurtunity to get promoted and into further training.

I worked in many departments over a period of 10 years with several promotions along the way.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at ASDA

Pros

Lots of variety, opportunities and change to get involved in. Always a buzz in the head office, feels like your working for a purpose.

Cons

Lots of ambition and plenty of ego to content with.

Keep it simple, don't forget your roots.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Job so far

Current Employee - Checkout Operator  in  Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time for less than a year

Pros

The largest benefit is that all shifts for each week are the same so that you always know when you work, with overtime being easy to pick up if needed/wanted. The staff discount is also a bonus as, with this being both the nearest supermarket to my home as well as my place of work it feels like i'm getting something back, so to speak, from all the shopping that I do in the store. I have recommended working here to others, including my sister who is currently waiting for an interview.

Cons

It can be quite a challenge to speak to the head of department, or there can be communication issues between shift managers. an example of this is that, as a seasonal member of staff I was informed after Christmas not to work, then told I could do overtime shifts, then was informed by a shift manager that I should have been doing my designated shift, but had never been informed of it previously. Another issue I have is that the office staff leave quite early on in the day so if you work mostly evenings like myself it is difficult to get in touch with them for things such as new uniform, or in my fellow colleagues case, arranging things for her pregnancy such as clothing, as hers no longer fits her.

As I have said it is a challenge to speak to the head of department when on alternate shifts, so it would be ideal to maybe have some sort of area to leave a note, or to be given hours that they are available to speak to.

An Excellent Part-time Employer

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Barnsley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than a year

Pros

A great philosophy and mission statement which is impressed upon every employee from day one. The staff are always treated like the most precious commodity in the store and communication channels were made clear. Plus The subsidised canteen, friendly colleagues and extensive time-off options made my time there very enjoyable.

Cons

Difficult customers, sometimes overwhelming staff shortages, and lack of formal training. The company's recruitment process was effective although was somewhat overbearing and may have alienated some older candidates if not handled sensitively.

Maintain and improve training packages for long-term employees, keep the mission statement and benefits.

Asda

I worked at ASDA

Pros

Not a bad student job

Cons

The pay and pay rises are appalling

Worked 12 years from colleague through to management & used to enjoy my work there.

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The People, both colleagues & customers. Good training & transferable skills for future career moves is a bonus.

Cons

In management no work life balance due to crazy Rota's. Expectation to drop life for work whenever required. Pay is not competitive.

Think more about current customers, not just future online customers. Treat Managers with more respect & communicate more. It would earn mutual respect & increase moral.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Checkout Operator  in  Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ASDA part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Staff discount, emerging relationships with the public, flexible working hours, overtime if wanted. very good at giving holiday times that are requested

Cons

Very much a place that is "if your face fits", lots of rules that work for some but not for others which can lead to major resentment. Major differences in break time between departments

Be more face on, I can go weeks on end without seeing a manager

Shop Assistant

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay for the work done
    Friendly environment
    Genuinely nice colleagues
    Good benefits (such as discount on shopping)
    I enjoyed working there, it's excellent as a job just to pay the bills because as soon as you leave, you leave any worries or stress there too.

Cons

Very unorganised
    Managers tend to be less than effective
    Too many big egos in management that need to get over themselves and concentrate on the actual job
     I wouldn't want to stay longer than I did because it gets so boring, doing the same old thing every single day. The managers don't make me want to progress either, because I wouldn't want to be the same as them.

My department manager didn't listen or care

Former Employee - Home Shopping Delivery Driver  in  Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Home Shopping Delivery Driver in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than a year

Pros

A supervisor that was trying his best to keep the department organised and together. I was a home delivery driver and the interaction with the customers was the only shining light in a terrible job and company.

Cons

Terrible rate of pay for a huge company, we are the worst paid delivery drivers of all the retailers; a manageress who spent all of her time in the canteen or in the management office; we (the department colleagues) couldn't even get our contracted hours each week as we were frequently stood down on the day we were supposed to work if the home shopping was quiet; no hygiene policy (mould in back of vans); no controlled communication (it was like chinese whispers); personal details such as disciplinary documents left on show for all to read; no department meetings in the 1.5 years I was there; no yearly reviews for colleagues on department; no organisation of staff even though there was a massive emphasis on wages yet colleagues were often stood around wondering what needed to be done; no systems in place.

Listen to your staff and stop burying your heads and hoping problems will go away

Worked for ASDA? Contribute to the Community!