ASICS America Reviews

Kevin Wulff

1. Amazing Brand, Still Retail/Sales

Current Employee - Team Player in Rosemont, IL
    Current Employee - Team Player in Rosemont, IL

I have been working at ASICS America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the Asics brand and I am passionate about our products. I'm lucky to have a great store manager, but other facets of the job are typical retail and sales work. If you're into selling running and training gear, it's a fun job. Good employee discounts on shoes and clothes.

Cons

Raises and promotions are rare, do not let them think there's a lot of "growth" as my interviewee told me. Have to make numbers for the day, week, month, year. Any commissions are based on store goals, and personal sales numbers. Hourly wage is above minimum wage, which is nice. My last raise was 10 cents, though... come on, guys!

Advice to Management

I would like to opportunity to grow within my position

2. Assistant manager

Pros

Great active community of hard workers

Cons

Salary and cost of living don't always match up

3. Honest Anonymous

I have been working at ASICS America full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, great campus.

Cons

Upward mobility, no succession plans, no management training. Upper management has seem to given in to the millenials allowing the workplace to slowly become corporate Lord of the Flies.

Advice to Management

Communicate more clearly and more often to the overall staff.

5. Not bad. Loved getting free clothes. Good for a paycheck but not a lot of room to move up in the company.

Former Employee - FT Key Holder in Woodburn, OR
    Former Employee - FT Key Holder in Woodburn, OR

Pros

Always something to do. Somewhat laid back. Consistent product releases. Hands on daily to do list. One on one customer experience was awesome.

Cons

District manager would never answer emails. Never got cupboards doors replaced at our store. Felt neglected. No room to move up so I went elsewhere for a promotion.

Communication deficient

Current Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA

I have been working at ASICS America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, awesome building, good location, great products, benefits are good, gym on site, and flexible hours.

Cons

Teams within departments work against each other... its competitive to say who failed rather then helping each other succeed. There are company initiatives that do not make sense and seem to be driven by forces that are not well thought through but rather driven by personal factors. The gym is great, but we only can utilize it for about 4 hours a day and we will shortly be charged to use it. It becomes defeating to constantly fight to work on a project as a team with other departments. It is more defeating to have your upper management be unaware of the daily struggles. Communication seems to be lacking between one department to the next. Product may work on this great new top and then it has no partner shoe to tell a store and then marketing has no information on the new top to make consumers aware of it. Lots of run to catch up fire drills.

Advice to Management

Take a moment to see the work your teams are working on and determine if it is efficient or if everyone is just a hamster spinning their wheels.

7. Lots of growth for the company but not for staff

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Manchester, NH

I worked at ASICS America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Interview process was much like an other retail job. Learned a lot about shoes and the company as a whole.

Cons

Lack of training for staff and product knowledge. Sad when management has no clue about products but other sales associates do. Better work life balance.

Advice to Management

Focus on providing better training. Treat staff with respect. Take time to develop staff.

Employee

Current Employee - Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at ASICS America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing Company Only hires talented and hardworking people from what I see. Onsite cafeteria, good benefits, new building, awesome location. CEO, Execs super friendly. Open door policy for most, if not all. Company focusing on Women and women's products - very needed and exciting.

Cons

Too Lean - need more people. Work too much. Could pay more but company pays majority of benefit cost & 401k is better than most out there. Lots of little perks. Company store & discount on products.

Advice to Management

Continue to build your team! All of us want to grow. Communication, teamwork and transparency mean the most.

9. Great work enviroment

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Wonderful culture, great passionate coworkers, community was amazing. 30-50% discount

Cons

Sometimes the store was under staffed.

Advice to Management

Keep appreciating your staff!

fast and fun

Former Employee - Team Member in Simpsonville, KY
    Former Employee - Team Member in Simpsonville, KY

I worked at ASICS America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, great especially if you love running. I ran cross country and track, and I thought I knew a lot about running shoes. But working here taught me SO MUCH MORE. Definitely a lot of learning.

Cons

Small, usually only 2 or 3 employees at a time. Very fast and often juggling multiple customers. Took a bit to learn about all the shoes and how to figure out which one the customer needs.

Advice to Management

Better employee incentives. Discount wasn't amazing.

Great company, so-so culture, pros outweigh the cons.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at ASICS America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top notch benefits. Casual work environment. Wonderful people to work with. On-site cafeteria. Terrific employee discounts, free marathon entries, etc. Great new campus near the Irvine Spectrum. Lots of opportunities for growth if you have a leader willing to invest in you or if you're self aware and take the initiative to work on your weaknesses. Outstanding product that you can believe in and be proud of. Lots of paid holidays!

Cons

Vacation time and sick time are separate, rather than being combined PTO. The office is very, very quiet. Lack of training and development available for all employees, at all levels. No career pathing. Most departments run really lean. You'll be expected to work really, really hard and the pay is not competitive for Orange County. Intense political atmosphere. No transparency- knowledge is hoarded. No employee handbook. No updated P&P. Makes it hard to know if you're doing the right thing, and easy for you to get into trouble for doing the wrong thing. It's a Japanese company that does things the Japanese way. It's a rough transition for some.

Advice to Management

Put leaders through leadership training and teach them how to give direct reports consistent and timely feedback. Pay employees market value for their role. Quit hiring temps for roles that should be budgeted headcount. Re-evaluate how much turnover costs the company and start investing in your people instead of treating them like they're replaceable. Offer your employees a way to give anonymous feedback about company culture.

RSS Feed </> Embed