ASM Research

Updated December 15, 2014
3.6

Jeri W Lassiter

Great Company supporting GOV IT Solutions

I worked at ASM Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small, Friendly, and focused to provided the best IT Solution to it's customers. The President and Owner is great.

Cons

Growing too large. Honesty is not always appreciated. Most of the management is great but some don't communicate very well.

Take care of the employees that are honest and hard working. They will take care of you.

2 Cents of advice from a former senior level IT employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ASM Research

Pros

After experiencing many events over a career spanning 30 years -- my advice is absolutely do NOT waste your time with this company.

Cons

In 30 years I have experienced many adverse career challenges & tackled them all. If you
    enjoy extreme micromanagement then you will love this company. I mathematically objectively
    outperformed my department & was reprimanded instead of being recognized in a positive manner. Realize this a family business & don't waste your time at this company where you
    will not be valued. I have never seen my lead write a coworkers email (until ASM)... i have never been undercut in front of customers (until ASM).....I have never felt so undervalued by any employer in my entire career (until ASM)..

Prepare for Accenture Federal Services SLA's. Former coworkers -- prepare for possible future downsizing. Applicants --the reason I finally left on my own terms was because I
    was required to report to my lead on an hourly basis. This combined with substandard pay
    & an oppressive backbiting, demoralizing, overtly political & nepotistic working environment
    made this by far the very worst experience I have ever encountered.

Technical Leadership is very egotistical

I have been working at ASM Research full-time

Pros

Can work remotely when possible.

Cons

Full disclosure, I don't work for Agilex, they are a subcontractor on a contract I'm working on. However, most of the technical leadership comes from Agilex and they are absolutely awful. They are very egotistical and have created an environment of fear by publicly calling out people who make mistakes. They do not listen to suggestions and ideas from others if they don't agree with them. They also push last minute features all the time.

Treat your employees with respect. We're all adults here, no one is trying to make mistakes on purpose. The instructions are often very unclear.

Govt contractor

Former Employee - Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ASM Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good support from corporate staff. Key personnel very easy to contact even after hours.

Cons

Company took over contract and cut salaries by 25 to 30 percent. Plus benefits package very, very expensive.

ASMR Today

Current Employee - SME in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - SME in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ASM Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good place for entry level developers, who want to develop their Microsoft .NET skills.

Good place for recently retired military looking to land in a military-friendly place to get use to civilian work life, while they collect their military retirement checks.

ASM does a very good job allowing employees to balance their work schedule with family/personal schedule.

HQ location is good with access from I66, RT, and Fairfax County Parkway.

Vacation and holiday time is industry standard.

Cons

No career growth. Job postings are for mostly jr and mid-level jobs. There is very little technical training. Philosophy from executive management is buy a book and figure it out on your own time. Salaries are below market and often the talented leave after a few years to get 20-30% raises. Any bonuses are usually very small unless you are a project manager, who gets a fat bonuses on how much profit they make on their contract, which provides the pressure to not give employees raises and keep salaries down. Nearly all the best talent has left the company since the acquisition or they are about to retire with fat ESOP payouts from the acquisition.

Benefits at ASMR keep getting cut each year. Retirement used to be really good and now has been cut to nothing - just what you put into it. Healthcare plan is barebones with very high deductibles. If you have a family, you will pay $1,000s out of pocket for medical expenses each year. You really don't see how poor ASMR's benefits are until you compare it to what a real Accenture employees get or other companies offer.

Trust issues. Often management or IT make bad decisions or policies, because they don't trust their employees. Some of the dumbest policies exist and their are a number of things that are counter-productive for employees. I personally witnessed another employee struggle for many weeks to get approval for a software license for a product that was essential to performing their job. ASMR has 5 core values, which they really only follow when it benefits their bottom-line. Its been years since they had a survey to ask employees what they think and a CEO that would make changes.

ASMR is opportunistically lucky with wing-and-a-prayer business model. Accenture talks about ASMR in a different light as there is a gap in what they really bought vs what they think ASMR is. This causes credibility issues when you hear management speak. There is no well thought out viable plans, but there's lots of lip service to make it sound like there is. Executive management is mediocre (and lucky) in execution. ASMR mainly survives from work on their handful of long running bread-n-butter contracts as stated in other Glassdoor reviews.

It should be noted that Jeri Lassiter is no longer the CEO. She hasn't been CEO for a couple years. ASMR is not same company as when she was CEO years ago.

ASMR was acquired by Accenture in Fall of 2013. ASMR is still in transition mode with Accenture. Things are changing and will continue to change.

Gonna wait until new management replaces current management to give advice. Maybe they will see the issues and act on it.

ASMR Top Company!

Former Employee - Senior ORSA in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior ORSA in Arlington, VA

I worked at ASM Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are family oriented with a genuine concern for their employees and their development.

Cons

Nothing negative to say; they are the best!

Don't change anything; continue to empower and your employees with continue to go the extra mile!

Very positive, it is a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Management Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Management Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ASM Research as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good company, good benefits, they care about their employees. For example, they allow work-from-home for eligible employees whenever the weather is expected to be very bad, because they don't want their employees at risk on the roads. Also, they provided free donuts and bagels every morning.

Cons

When my contract ran out, they were unable to find other work for me.

A very good place to work if you want to create valued, quality software products for the federal Government

Current Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ASM Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ASM places a premium on finding out what the client wants and delivering that need in the form of a quality, custom software product. It has created/maintained some custom software applications for the Federal Government (Army) for more than 25 years.

Cons

There are several core products upon which ASM has built its reputation. Now that the company is no longer considered small by Federal contracting standards, it's trying to grow and getting out of its comfort zone. It seems to pursue opporutnities without regard for our experience in that area.

Expect reduced revenue growth and profits as we evolve -- don't expect that we can grow into new areas without first investing in capability through training, etc.

Customer and Quality Focused

Current Employee - Technical Developer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Developer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ASM Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Focused on doing the right thing for the customer, delivery of the solutions, management engagement, and CMMi implementation to have a single focus on process.

Cons

Change in the environment causes disruption that needs to be managed

Keep staff informed on the changes being implemented before the change happens.

Trying to compete with the big companies.

I worked at ASM Research

Pros

Good busy working environment, good staffing at the ground level. Decent salary.
    Your work will provide you with a certain amount of pride when allowed to function without micro-management. Overall a satisfying experience barring certain issues.

Cons

Too many under-qualified middle management who are often family members of senior executives, which makes for a problematic environment, especially if conflicts arise due to poorly developed business processes that do more harm than good.

Promotions are rare and far between.
    Bonuses are usually reserved for management.

Poor opportunities to obtain training, which is suggested as a employee benefit but you have to obtain approval which is typically difficult. You feel as though the company doesn't want to spend more than they have to.

Chronically nepotistic, conflicts of interest and no real opportunities for staff to grow. Employees are asked to provide feedback to upper management, but in a sense it seems this is just a token measure.

Quite frankly, you're trying to be a big company, but your middle tiers have no idea how to behave, or conduct themselves, and the middle filters information upwards.

What was once a great company, is now becoming mediocre at best.