ASM Research Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
31 reviews filtered by
3.2
Jeri W Lassiter

1. Couldn't ask for a better first job!

Current Employee - Junior Web Developer in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Junior Web Developer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at ASM Research full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I think your experience here depends on the project you work on, so make sure you enjoy the project and the technology behind it. I work on eHMP Vistacore, so it feels more like a contract where I work with a bunch of employees from other companies in a different office (Chantilly, VA). Couldn't ask for a better project; love the modern technology. Co-workers are bright and easy to get along with - feels like family. Job has had very flexible hours as I can pretty much work from home whenever I want long as things get done.

Cons

I wish I had some guidance on how I can move up and earn a higher salary, although my starting salary right out of school is very good! There seems to be a bit of favoritism. I didn't receive any training, so that would have been appreciated. Turnover happens when employees aren't given a chance to shine it seems.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are getting people on the project that is best for them and constantly promoting their growth. That way they're especially happy with what they do and their talents optimized for the job! Take care of your employees and we promise to take care of you!

Oh, redesign your website! I'm sure a Junior Web Developer could make a better one!

2. Hit and miss, but generally a good place to work

I have been working at ASM Research full-time

Pros

The company is very flexible in allowing you to balance your work and family life. Management generally has a genuine concern for employee well-being. This is easily the best part about the company. Telecommuting is an option for qualified employees.

Coworkers are very friendly and, in general, easy to work with.

Free access to gym on location.

Good location next to Fair Oaks Mall. Reasonable access from I-66, Dulles Toll Road, Rte 28, and Rte 50.

Great company for technical new-comers to get started, especially new graduates.

Salary can be very competitive, but you will have to fight for it. You really have to prove yourself reliable, competent, and indispensable to get more competitive rates.

Decent vacation time, but it is also your sick leave. So, don't get sick if you like to go on vacation. You can carry over hours from the previous year, at least.

Cons

Not a lot of support in terms of technical training. The company would rather you learn on your own time. There hasn't been a lot of improvement here over the years.

Career growth is limited. While it is possible to work your way up in the company, the opportunities for doing so are fairly slim, despite winning of new contracts. They seem to employ additional people from the outside for new contracts, rather than promote from within. This leads to getting stuck on the same contracts for long periods of time and getting bored.

Company struggles to keep up with current technology. To be fair, this isn't always the company's fault. Part of it is due to the nature of government contracts. But for the most part, you won't be developing with the latest and greatest tech. This is slowly improving, however.

Benefits have been getting cut as time goes on. The retirement package used to be the main selling point of ASM, but this has been reduced to a mere fraction of what it was since being acquired by AFS. Health coverage is expensive and lacks comprehensive options. Your vacation time is your sick leave.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of recognizing and promoting talent from within the organization.

Do a better job of investing in employee technical training and place less of the burden (especially in terms of time) on the employee.

Fix the benefits, and definitely don't reduce them further. A separate pool of leave for sick days would be a great addition.

3. ASM Research good company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at ASM Research

Pros

Everyone I work with at ASM Research on a project for the Veteran's Affairs in Chantilly, VA is great.

Cons

Unfortunately we work with this other company, Agilex, which recently was bought by Accenture Federal Systems, which also owns ASM Research. The Agilex employees who are leads and some of the managers are conceited, take sport in humiliating people for their mistakes, and use public forums to name people who make minor mistakes and make them out to be dummies. This appears to be the company's culture, I am saddened that Accenture Federal Systems chose to buy this company who's culture is extremely unprofessional!

Advice to Management

Start noticing the morale problems being caused by Agilex senior employees on this project! Do something about it!

5. Good for beginners, bad for veterans.

I have been working at ASM Research full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good for self starters, self learners to get their feet wet and grow.

Cons

Not a very professional environment. Not conducive for growth. Lack of leadership. Lack of competitive compensation package. Huge turnovers.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people professionally and appropriately, and stop trying to cover your own tails.

6. Stay away! ASM is winning a lot of VA work, but the growth doesn't translate to career advancement.

Current Employee - SME
    Current Employee - SME

I have been working at ASM Research full-time

Pros

Bagels and Coffee. That is it!

Cons

I had hoped that Accenture's acquisition would lead to opportunities and less nepotism! No Way. My division has grown dramatically with many VA wins, but did that lead to better raises and opportunities for growth. Quite the contrary! 1% pitiful raise and still reporting to a control freak micro manager! I've assisted the Co. with many wins and am leading several VA projects and have many years of experience as a PM, yet I'm treated like a know nothing recent college grad.

Advice to Management

Clean house of middle management and start over! That is your only hope. BTW Being proud of being a Family Business is really not something to be proud of. Accenture implement some no nepotism rules!

7. 2 Cents of advice from a former senior level IT employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ASM Research

Pros

After experiencing many events over a career spanning 30 years -- my advice is absolutely do NOT waste your time with this company.

Cons

In 30 years I have experienced many adverse career challenges & tackled them all. If you
    enjoy extreme micromanagement then you will love this company. I mathematically objectively
    outperformed my department & was reprimanded instead of being recognized in a positive manner. Realize this a family business & don't waste your time at this company where you
    will not be valued. I have never seen my lead write a coworkers email (until ASM)... i have never been undercut in front of customers (until ASM).....I have never felt so undervalued by any employer in my entire career (until ASM)..

Advice to Management

Prepare for Accenture Federal Services SLA's. Former coworkers -- prepare for possible future downsizing. Applicants --the reason I finally left on my own terms was because I
    was required to report to my lead on an hourly basis. This combined with substandard pay
    & an oppressive backbiting, demoralizing, overtly political & nepotistic working environment
    made this by far the very worst experience I have ever encountered.

Technical Leadership is very egotistical

I have been working at ASM Research full-time

Pros

Can work remotely when possible.

Cons

Full disclosure, I don't work for Agilex, they are a subcontractor on a contract I'm working on. However, most of the technical leadership comes from Agilex and they are absolutely awful. They are very egotistical and have created an environment of fear by publicly calling out people who make mistakes. They do not listen to suggestions and ideas from others if they don't agree with them. They also push last minute features all the time.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. We're all adults here, no one is trying to make mistakes on purpose. The instructions are often very unclear.

9. Govt contractor

Former Employee - Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ASM Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good support from corporate staff. Key personnel very easy to contact even after hours.

Cons

Company took over contract and cut salaries by 25 to 30 percent. Plus benefits package very, very expensive.

ASMR Today

Current Employee - SME in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - SME in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ASM Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good place for entry level developers, who want to develop their Microsoft .NET skills.

Good place for recently retired military looking to land in a military-friendly place to get use to civilian work life, while they collect their military retirement checks.

ASM does a very good job allowing employees to balance their work schedule with family/personal schedule.

HQ location is good with access from I66, RT, and Fairfax County Parkway.

Vacation and holiday time is industry standard.

Cons

No career growth. Job postings are for mostly jr and mid-level jobs. There is very little technical training. Philosophy from executive management is buy a book and figure it out on your own time. Salaries are below market and often the talented leave after a few years to get 20-30% raises. Any bonuses are usually very small unless you are a project manager, who gets a fat bonuses on how much profit they make on their contract, which provides the pressure to not give employees raises and keep salaries down. Nearly all the best talent has left the company since the acquisition or they are about to retire with fat ESOP payouts from the acquisition.

Benefits at ASMR keep getting cut each year. Retirement used to be really good and now has been cut to nothing - just what you put into it. Healthcare plan is barebones with very high deductibles. If you have a family, you will pay $1,000s out of pocket for medical expenses each year. You really don't see how poor ASMR's benefits are until you compare it to what a real Accenture employees get or other companies offer.

Trust issues. Often management or IT make bad decisions or policies, because they don't trust their employees. Some of the dumbest policies exist and their are a number of things that are counter-productive for employees. I personally witnessed another employee struggle for many weeks to get approval for a software license for a product that was essential to performing their job. ASMR has 5 core values, which they really only follow when it benefits their bottom-line. Its been years since they had a survey to ask employees what they think and a CEO that would make changes.

ASMR is opportunistically lucky with wing-and-a-prayer business model. Accenture talks about ASMR in a different light as there is a gap in what they really bought vs what they think ASMR is. This causes credibility issues when you hear management speak. There is no well thought out viable plans, but there's lots of lip service to make it sound like there is. Executive management is mediocre (and lucky) in execution. ASMR mainly survives from work on their handful of long running bread-n-butter contracts as stated in other Glassdoor reviews.

Advice to Management

It should be noted that Jeri Lassiter is no longer the CEO. She hasn't been CEO for a couple years. ASMR is not same company as when she was CEO years ago.

ASMR was acquired by Accenture in Fall of 2013. ASMR is still in transition mode with Accenture. Things are changing and will continue to change.

Gonna wait until new management replaces current management to give advice. Maybe they will see the issues and act on it.

Great Company supporting GOV IT Solutions

I worked at ASM Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small, Friendly, and focused to provided the best IT Solution to it's customers. The President and Owner is great.

Cons

Growing too large. Honesty is not always appreciated. Most of the management is great but some don't communicate very well.

Advice to Management

Take care of the employees that are honest and hard working. They will take care of you.