ASM Research

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeri W Lassiter

Great Company supporting GOV IT Solutions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmall, Friendly, and focused to provided the best IT Solution to it's customers. The President and Owner is great.

ConsGrowing too large. Honesty is not always appreciated. Most of the management is great but some don't communicate very well.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the employees that are honest and hard working. They will take care of you.

ASMR Today

SME (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGood place for entry level developers, who want to develop their Microsoft .NET skills.

Good place for recently retired military looking to land in a military-friendly place to get use to civilian work life, while they collect their military retirement checks.

ASM does a very good job allowing employees to balance their work schedule with family/personal schedule.

HQ location is good with access from I66, RT, and Fairfax County Parkway.

Vacation and holiday time is industry standard.

ConsNo career growth. Job postings are for mostly jr and mid-level jobs. There is very little technical training. Philosophy from executive management is buy a book and figure it out on your own time. Salaries are below market and often the talented leave after a few years to get 20-30% raises. Any bonuses are usually very small unless you are a project manager, who gets a fat bonuses on how much profit they make on their contract, which provides the pressure to not give employees raises and keep salaries down. Nearly all the best talent has left the company since the acquisition or they are about to retire with fat ESOP payouts from the acquisition.

Benefits at ASMR keep getting cut each year. Retirement used to be really good and now has been cut to nothing - just what you put into it. Healthcare plan is barebones with very high deductibles. If you have a family, you will pay $1,000s out of pocket for medical expenses each year. You really don't see how poor ASMR's benefits are until you compare it to what a real Accenture employees get or other companies offer.

Trust issues. Often management or IT make bad decisions or policies, because they don't trust their employees. Some of the dumbest policies exist and their are a number of things that are counter-productive for employees. I personally witnessed another employee struggle for many weeks to get approval for a software license for a product that was essential to performing their job. ASMR has 5 core values, which they really only follow when it benefits their bottom-line. Its been years since they had a survey to ask employees what they think and a CEO that would make changes.

ASMR is opportunistically lucky with wing-and-a-prayer business model. Accenture talks about ASMR in a different light as there is a gap in what they really bought vs what they think ASMR is. This causes credibility issues when you hear management speak. There is no well thought out viable plans, but there's lots of lip service to make it sound like there is. Executive management is mediocre (and lucky) in execution. ASMR mainly survives from work on their handful of long running bread-n-butter contracts as stated in other Glassdoor reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt should be noted that Jeri Lassiter is no longer the CEO. She hasn't been CEO for a couple years. ASMR is not same company as when she was CEO years ago.

ASMR was acquired by Accenture in Fall of 2013. ASMR is still in transition mode with Accenture. Things are changing and will continue to change.

Gonna wait until new management replaces current management to give advice. Maybe they will see the issues and act on it.

ASMR Top Company!

Senior ORSA (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThey are family oriented with a genuine concern for their employees and their development.

ConsNothing negative to say; they are the best!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change anything; continue to empower and your employees with continue to go the extra mile!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very positive, it is a good company to work for.

Management Analyst (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGood company, good benefits, they care about their employees. For example, they allow work-from-home for eligible employees whenever the weather is expected to be very bad, because they don't want their employees at risk on the roads. Also, they provided free donuts and bagels every morning.

ConsWhen my contract ran out, they were unable to find other work for me.

A very good place to work if you want to create valued, quality software products for the federal Government

Project Manager (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsASM places a premium on finding out what the client wants and delivering that need in the form of a quality, custom software product. It has created/maintained some custom software applications for the Federal Government (Army) for more than 25 years.

ConsThere are several core products upon which ASM has built its reputation. Now that the company is no longer considered small by Federal contracting standards, it's trying to grow and getting out of its comfort zone. It seems to pursue opporutnities without regard for our experience in that area.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect reduced revenue growth and profits as we evolve -- don't expect that we can grow into new areas without first investing in capability through training, etc.

Customer and Quality Focused

Technical Developer (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsFocused on doing the right thing for the customer, delivery of the solutions, management engagement, and CMMi implementation to have a single focus on process.

ConsChange in the environment causes disruption that needs to be managed

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep staff informed on the changes being implemented before the change happens.

Trying to compete with the big companies.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood busy working environment, good staffing at the ground level. Decent salary.
    Your work will provide you with a certain amount of pride when allowed to function without micro-management. Overall a satisfying experience barring certain issues.

ConsToo many under-qualified middle management who are often family members of senior executives, which makes for a problematic environment, especially if conflicts arise due to poorly developed business processes that do more harm than good.

Promotions are rare and far between.
    Bonuses are usually reserved for management.

Poor opportunities to obtain training, which is suggested as a employee benefit but you have to obtain approval which is typically difficult. You feel as though the company doesn't want to spend more than they have to.

Advice to Senior ManagementChronically nepotistic, conflicts of interest and no real opportunities for staff to grow. Employees are asked to provide feedback to upper management, but in a sense it seems this is just a token measure.

Quite frankly, you're trying to be a big company, but your middle tiers have no idea how to behave, or conduct themselves, and the middle filters information upwards.

What was once a great company, is now becoming mediocre at best.

Help customers and clients deliver solutions

Applications Developer (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsReally enjoy the fact we focus on the end objectives of the client and deliver solutions that work. Overall the pay, benefits and other aspects are about the same as you will find in most locations but it really is something they try to work on and remain competitive.

ConsThe hours can be long but given the satisfaction in solving real problems it is worth it. The business climate is getting harder but these folks are really up for the challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange happens and we need to keep the pace with the technologies.

Good company - excels at executing projects.

Information Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsAlways challenging, and lots of opportunity.

ConsNo hand holding, you must perform. And don't screw up.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees.

Good Company that means well.. still work to be done, however

Analyst (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

Pros- GREAT benefits
    - Good work/family time balance
    - Average employee compensation
    - Friendly work environment
    - Understanding Managers who will take time to meet with employee's to go over possible work related issues

Cons- Average employee compensation (I know I noted it above): in this defense industry salaries for "skill" positions can be found at a higher level at other companies. This leads to employees leaving the company for greener pastures..
    - Matrix Work structure is tiring: at times a person may have three bosses: the resource manager (their skill set boss) their PM (project boss) and the VP of the Program. This can lead to multiple sets of directions that can be confusing.
    - NO INITIATION/LEARNING PROGRAM: This is ASM's biggest draw back... When a new person is brought on, at least from what I've seen, there is no training. You are introduced to everyone and you are told to start working. Definitely a learn as you go environment.
    - Very little verticle promotional opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, ASM is a solid company that is trying to make its way in the DoD software field and succeeding at it's goals. Upper management see's their weaknesses and is working on them which is encouraging (how many companies ignore their faults!) but they still have work to do. The one thing I hope they change/instill is a solid tutorial program for new employees. Sitting someone down and having them learn on the job is frustrating and time consuming for all parties.

Worked for ASM Research? Contribute to the Community!