ASOS

2.4

ASOS CEO Nick Robertson
Nick Robertson

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great benefits, no career progression

Former Employee - Senior Accounts Payable Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Accounts Payable Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing discount
    Regular sample sales
    Regular team days and social events
    Summer hours
    Great people
    Good work life balance

Cons

No career progression, even though they sponsored my studies!
    Shows a short sighted view as I would have happily stayed for 10+ years if the career opportunities were there

Focus on keeping the staff you already have, rather than relying being able to easily find new staff as everyone wants to work for the company

Excellent Fast Pace Company

Current Employee - Senior BI Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior BI Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ASOS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, fun, sample sales, discount codes, summer party, Christmas party, Friday beers, 5 hours Fridays during summer, casual smart dress code, lots of benefits, wonderful C level exec

Cons

Could do with training the LOB managers to be more proactive as opposed to reactive! Poor knowledge management!

Get ahead of the game!

Needs a total overhaul of leadership/strategy

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ASOS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People, salary, perks, sphere of influence, social. Passionate employees despite the setbacks. Interesting work.

Cons

Very poor exec leadership, long hours, politics, backstabbing, poor and inefficient structure. Sexist language common.

Listen to your senior managers. Change your strategy because the current business model is not working. Asos has some very talented and passionate people maybe rethink the leadership team.

A good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good strategy, a company knows and understand its customers
    Great name on CV
    40% staff discount
    A company that very proud to work for
    Centrally located
    Share scheme
    Bonus
    Lots of opportunities (I had 5 roles when I was there)
    Very flexible, you can do what you want if you are capable

Cons

Not doing great recently
    Great challenge in IT resulting can't really do anything
    A lot of egos
    You need to know how to play the game

Replatform, no matter what, if you want growth over the next few years, do all you can replatform.

Get the oldie's back, I was there when ASOS was on top of its game, it was a generation of great people to work with, but these people either got pushed out (like myself), or can not bear with it anymore.

Being an intern at ASOS

Former Employee - Buyer's Administration Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Buyer's Administration Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

ASOS was an amazing company to work for! It had a great management structure that ensure everyone had someone to help them get started and develop. Although I felt thrown in the deep end at first, there are so many training sessions to help understand many things. I loved the fact that they have a team-bonding day where you and your team have to spend time a day away from the office doing anything! The summer and Christmas parties are really good as well, and definitely help you to feel an appreciated part of the company and helps to build relationships outside of work. The free clothes and discount were also amazing and greatly missed!!

Cons

Despite all of ASOS' positives, it was all a very stressful time. I found it hard to have a social life as I was commuting over an hour every day and sometimes working 10 hours days meaning that by the weekend I just wanted to sleep! I really struggled with this and I felt that the salary I was receiving at the time did not create a good enough incentive.

Try to not make favourites in the office obvious. Need to be more aware of the little people in the business, like the admin roles.

ASOS brand deteriorating

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ASOS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff discount, good people, fun social life

Cons

Not a pleasant working environment if you're ambitious and smart. There is too much emphasis on editorial and not enough on growing the brand properly. I don't have much confidence that the senior marketing team really know what they're doing and I'm not the only one who feels this way. Generally, it's political and gossipy here. I'm just getting my head down whilst I look for another job.

Focus on creating a more collaborative culture where people needn't be afraid to give their ideas.

An awful place to work

Former Employee - Department of Production in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Department of Production in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount was fine. Summer hours. The bonus, when it happened, was nice.

Cons

No room for progression. Politics matters moreso than being good at your job. Higher ups don't know what they want, are obsessed with a slither of the department - to the detriment of the rest of the department. Bosses are hired on their ability to say the right things rather than their ability in general, leading to teams having to essentially manage themselves. Unrealistic targets and expectations. Work is underpaid and management take the view that you should be happy you have a job at all. Any attempts to achieve a work/life balance are noted as 'not caring about the job'. The general culture is a bullying, sniping atmosphere.

It's past the advice stage now, the company as a whole is a bad place to work and, with the business side seemingly sliding, it's only going to get worse. They could try and consider employees as human beings rather than functioning automatons, but I doubt that'll happen.

If you care about technology, don't work at ASOS

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and perks
    Relaxed enviornment

Cons

Terrible IT senior management who have no clue about how to deliver software
    So many politics going on and people get away with anything
    Plenty of untalented staff

Just ditch all the IT senior manager, fire half of the staff and start from the basics again

Very unsupportive, unorganised and unhappy company

Former Employee - Assistant Merchandiser in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Merchandiser in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office environment is good with perks such as a sample sale.

Cons

There is no support from management or hr. Employees from outside the company are ignored and criticised for not knowing the systems, yet almost no training is offered. There are a number of unsupportive managers. Employees, particularly senior employees disappear regularly, for "new opportunities". By disappear I mean they will be there on a Friday and fine on the following Monday. The merchandising processes are not yet equipped to deal with the expansion of the company. There are constant issues and mistakes to deal with and be blamed for daily. This means that the workload becomes overwhelming. I worked there for six months and saw someone cry every week. It is just not worth it.

Train your staff and work on processes. Most importantly communicate effectively with what you expect from employees and ensure that there are the tools for them to be able to achieve their potential.

Good working environment, friendly staff

Former Employee - Order Management in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Order Management in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Staff are friendly and are extremely helpful. Good atmosphere to work in and also the free cups of tea and coffee are super awesome as well

Cons

Felt like the work was mundane (as this was purely admin) and un-motivating.