ASOS

ASOS CEO Nick Robertson
Nick Robertson

19 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Disorganised, unfriendly and over-confident

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Looks good on cv
    Great discount

Cons

Unfriendly colleagues - cliquey atmosphere
    Disorganised chaos of clothing in the buying department - barely enough space to get desk
    Managers are too wrapped up in themselves with no real idea of what is going on in their team

Promote a more friendly and less catty working atmosphere

Too much work with not enough pay

Former Employee - Freelance Stylist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Freelance Stylist in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS

Pros

Working day is 9-5pm, goes quickly and an opportunity to be somewhat creative

Cons

Tense atmosphere, newcomers are more or less ignored and not showed around properly. Far too much work to get through in one day, with low freelance rates - you're expected to work like a machine, and made to feel inadequate if there is a mistake. People seem uninterested, fake and cliquey.

Very interesting technology environment, fast being swallowed up management incompetence and personality cult

Former Employee - IT Department in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Department in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS

Pros

Generally very good life balance and hours. Fridays finish at 5 instead of 5.30 and for three months of the year you get to finish at 3pm and enjoy the summer. Last Friday of the month the company puts on free beers for staff. Also a good thing.

Generally a very good, close IT development department with many highly skilled and clever people pushing each other to expand their knowledge.

The company covers some really interesting technologies and there were opportunities to learn lots about emergent tech trends which could shape the site and various tech products in the company further. This "give it a go" attitude is something they should be proud of.

Fortnightly sample sales are good but over the years less good stuff was in them - I think the buyers themselves started to take anything they want home for themselves.

Cons

For a company where it's shop window and everything behind it relies totally on IT, the directors seem to know soo little about IT and as a result have gone through a chain of hiring sociopath to sociopath to be in charge of large parts of or all of IT over the years. They want a new, interesting company like ASOS to be linked to their career and use big names of other (often much more stuffy) business to get in through the door, then pull the IT department back into the 20th century.

The worst one was a recent CIO hire who started with a statement of intent of who they are and what they want to and don't want to do. Very quickly each of these promises was broken. Even worse, heads under them were replaced by people they had worked with in every company from the past 6-10 years of their career. These people were not brought in on merit. The result was a very strong cult of personality driving people out of the company, a swelling contract budget (more mates brought in) and importantly very little credible, long term value to the business. Having worked at the company for a long time it made me sick to see such a sought after and popular company get taken in by these people.

Not unusual I know but HR really are the pits, smiling assassins but dressed up to the nines.

Seriously - Nick R - We love you and your business a lot. I spent a long time working for the company and I would come back for a spell at ASOS happily. Seriously though, you and Nick B need to learn a bit more about IT to help you hire the right people to be at the helm of the IT dept who understand creating long term value rather than just spinning lots of plates at a time and thinking number of projects = better value. The last CIO hire was like that monorail chap from the Simpsons.

Look into peoples backgrounds a bit more before you let them in.

Very chaotic, no direction, incompetent.

Former Employee - Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS

Pros

- Youthful staff - if you are in your 20s or 30s you'll be a good fit
    - Staff discount - it can save you a lot of money if buy lots of clothes
    - Colleagues - you can meet many decent people

Cons

- Management - they had no idea what they were doing - it was a real mess and they didn't listen
    - Career development - the performance review process is really bad and not based on merit. Also, you can expect to be boxed into a job and not being allowed to get involved in anything else at all
    - Technology - messy, old, things barely work and frequently break

Start actually enforcing a decent, meritocratic performance review process, listen to staff feedback, look out for incompetent staff and don't let them do whatever they want. Some investment in tech won't hurt.

Great benefits, no career progression

Former Employee - Senior Accounts Payable Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Accounts Payable Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing discount
    Regular sample sales
    Regular team days and social events
    Summer hours
    Great people
    Good work life balance

Cons

No career progression, even though they sponsored my studies!
    Shows a short sighted view as I would have happily stayed for 10+ years if the career opportunities were there

Focus on keeping the staff you already have, rather than relying being able to easily find new staff as everyone wants to work for the company

Excellent Fast Pace Company

Current Employee - Senior BI Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior BI Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ASOS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, fun, sample sales, discount codes, summer party, Christmas party, Friday beers, 5 hours Fridays during summer, casual smart dress code, lots of benefits, wonderful C level exec

Cons

Could do with training the LOB managers to be more proactive as opposed to reactive! Poor knowledge management!

Get ahead of the game!

Needs a total overhaul of leadership/strategy

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ASOS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People, salary, perks, sphere of influence, social. Passionate employees despite the setbacks. Interesting work.

Cons

Very poor exec leadership, long hours, politics, backstabbing, poor and inefficient structure. Sexist language common.

Listen to your senior managers. Change your strategy because the current business model is not working. Asos has some very talented and passionate people maybe rethink the leadership team.

A good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good strategy, a company knows and understand its customers
    Great name on CV
    40% staff discount
    A company that very proud to work for
    Centrally located
    Share scheme
    Bonus
    Lots of opportunities (I had 5 roles when I was there)
    Very flexible, you can do what you want if you are capable

Cons

Not doing great recently
    Great challenge in IT resulting can't really do anything
    A lot of egos
    You need to know how to play the game

Replatform, no matter what, if you want growth over the next few years, do all you can replatform.

Get the oldie's back, I was there when ASOS was on top of its game, it was a generation of great people to work with, but these people either got pushed out (like myself), or can not bear with it anymore.

Being an intern at ASOS

Former Intern - Buyer's Administration Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Buyer's Administration Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

ASOS was an amazing company to work for! It had a great management structure that ensure everyone had someone to help them get started and develop. Although I felt thrown in the deep end at first, there are so many training sessions to help understand many things. I loved the fact that they have a team-bonding day where you and your team have to spend time a day away from the office doing anything! The summer and Christmas parties are really good as well, and definitely help you to feel an appreciated part of the company and helps to build relationships outside of work. The free clothes and discount were also amazing and greatly missed!!

Cons

Despite all of ASOS' positives, it was all a very stressful time. I found it hard to have a social life as I was commuting over an hour every day and sometimes working 10 hours days meaning that by the weekend I just wanted to sleep! I really struggled with this and I felt that the salary I was receiving at the time did not create a good enough incentive.

Try to not make favourites in the office obvious. Need to be more aware of the little people in the business, like the admin roles.

An awful place to work

Former Employee - Department of Production in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Department of Production in London, England (UK)

I worked at ASOS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The discount was fine. Summer hours. The bonus, when it happened, was nice.

Cons

No room for progression. Politics matters moreso than being good at your job. Higher ups don't know what they want, are obsessed with a slither of the department - to the detriment of the rest of the department. Bosses are hired on their ability to say the right things rather than their ability in general, leading to teams having to essentially manage themselves. Unrealistic targets and expectations. Work is underpaid and management take the view that you should be happy you have a job at all. Any attempts to achieve a work/life balance are noted as 'not caring about the job'. The general culture is a bullying, sniping atmosphere.

It's past the advice stage now, the company as a whole is a bad place to work and, with the business side seemingly sliding, it's only going to get worse. They could try and consider employees as human beings rather than functioning automatons, but I doubt that'll happen.