ASPCA

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
3.3

Ed Sayres

Great location, mentors, and varying assignments.

I have been working at ASPCA

Pros

Everyone was very knowledgeable about issues and tasks and not afraid to help new interns and staff. The location was great and overall vibe in the office was welcoming and fun while still maintaining a professional work ethic.

Cons

Tends to promote from within the organization- which can either be a pro or con depending on which side of the fence you are on.

Great Mission, but Toxic Work Environment

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician in New York, NY

I worked at ASPCA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The positive aspect of working for the ASPCA is exactly what you'd expect it to be: working with animals, and feeling a deep sense of pride and accomplishment as you watch many of them transform from frightened and neglected/abused to loving pets. A con for some, but you want to take all the animals home! The benefits are also nice as a FT employee.

Cons

Sadly, I found the negatives outweighed the positives at The A. The salary as an Animal Care Tech makes it, without a doubt, impossible to pay rent in NYC; this causes the necessity for people to work double, triple and even more shifts in a row which leads to a stunning decrease in work ethic. Headquarter's location is the most inconvenient place in Manhattan, being on 92nd between 1st and York, and is at minimum, a 15 minute walk to the 456 train line (which is currently the only train on the east side). If you are a full-time employee, you earn paid time off for every hour you work; this seems fine, until you learn sick days are included in this, so if you get sick, you don't get time off. This causes sick people to come in anyway so that they don't lose their vacation time.
    The job is extremely high stress and very physically and emotionally tolling. 8-hour shifts are not really 8 hours, because before and after every shift, you must complete rounds; while this is necessary, it means you must stay late every day and you do not get paid for this time. If you work the 8am-4pm shift, you are blessed, as the 4pm-midnight, 4am-noon or midnight-8am shifts force you to be nocturnal, and prevent you from having any kind of life outside of the institution; commuting home at 12:30AM is not fun. Schedules are not at all flexible, and despite the fact that when offered the job, I was told there would be room for advancement quickly, I was denied every time I asked (and I'm positive they had no problem breaking my union contract).
    Lastly, and most importantly, the work environment among Animal Care Technicians is extremely toxic. The majority of the staff is Latino, and there are cliques based on racial and class lines. Gossip runs rampant. Employees speak Spanish to one another in group settings to talk gossip about those who don't speak the language. Management is rarely on the floor and so the only way your boss knows about your work is through your co-workers' feedback. In my personal experience, co-workers would be nice to my face and I would later hear them trash-talk me when they thought I wasn't around. As a result, my manager had a poor opinion of me, despite the fact that I felt I worked harder than all of my colleagues. It even reached levels of harassment and bullying--not just for me--although HR did not consider it to be. By the end of my time working at the ASPCA, I was so depressed and stressed out, I had lost 30lbs, I couldn't sleep, was breaking out with cystic acne, and hadn't seen family or friends in weeks. I am truly glad I no longer work there, and I wish I had known all of this before I had taken the job.

Be more hands-on. It's really easy to sit behind a desk and let feedback come to you, but that feedback will not be accurate when people have ulterior motives. Don't hold biases against people; just because men tend to be stronger than women doesn't mean that women should be limited to working with cats and men with dogs. Stop being so appearance-oriented. I understand that when tours of donors come through, you want the place to look good, but it should not interfere with the work that we have to do. Finally, listen to the staff. Many of my co-workers were very unsatisfied working at the ASPCA for the same reasons I was, and despite numerous meetings with my manager, no changes were ever made.

Great opportunity and experience

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at ASPCA as a contractor

Pros

Making a difference in animals lives
    Open to creativity and innovation
    Work with animals

Cons

No sense of work/life balance
    Work 24/7

No room for growth, but great benefits

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician in New York, NY

I worked at ASPCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, life-changing relationships with animals. You learn animal handling skills and time management the longer you work there.

Cons

You really have to be a manager's favorite in order to grow within the organization. The place is over capacity with animals and managers do not put themselves in the shoes of those who directly handle them.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at ASPCA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent Place to intern, or work.

Cons

Not enough benefits to employee's or interns.

Increase in salary for all interns in the future.

Great cause, great benefits, awful Human Resources department, terrible management.

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at ASPCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This organization truly does help animals. Amazing things are done each day in order to further the mission of the ASPCA.

Cons

The HR department in this organization might as well not exists. Favoritism, inconsistencies and poor moral plague this organization and HR sits back and watches.

Executive management should just clean house. Managers are rude and incompetent. Some backbone should be provided to HR. Listen to employees, when so many people are saying the same thing, isn't it at least worth listening to?

HR Manager

I worked at ASPCA as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

great support from Supervisor, trained well by the incumbent, great support staff

Cons

I wish I there would've been a full time position available before I left

be confident and firm with your decision making

Great Place to Volunteer

Former Employee - Volunteer
    Former Employee - Volunteer

I worked at ASPCA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bonding with the dogs and cats that need homes. Its a very rewarding experience especially if you don't own your own dog.

Cons

the worse part is when you get attached to the dogs. You have to leave your feelings at the door and not get attached!

ASPCA review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ASPCA as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Very positive company non-profit mission.

Cons

Departments are distributed and can make their own decisions without awareness/approval from other department's senior management.

Consider other dept. when making decisions that effect them.

terrible place to work

I worked at ASPCA full-time

Pros

Pros would be the nice renovated office and the chance to hang out with the office cats every now and then.

Cons

Awful problems with micro-management and it seems as though many of the employees fear making mistakes -- supervisors can be quite mean and bullish. Seems like people don't enjoy their work here though people seem nice enough when you meet them.

stop micromanaging and educate your supervisors to be less rude with the people they manage.

ASPCA Photos