ASRC Federal Holding Company

Updated January 4, 2015
Updated January 4, 2015
2.6

Mark Gray

I was very satisfied with the help I received from the company finding new contracts and guiding my career.

I have been working at ASRC Federal Holding Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company wants to help find their current employees work if/when their contracts end. There is a lot of diverse and interesting work done through the company, so it is possible to steer your career in different directions. Managemtn has always defended my performance to clients. Employee benefits are satisfactory.

Cons

PTO structure is a little strange and at times frustrating. Not unfair, but can be difficult being forced to use PTO when the government facility is shut down.

Constant Upheaval

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at ASRC Federal Holding Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid record of winning contracts.

Cons

The last four years have featured a revolving door of three different CEOs and often COOs.
    Each executive leadership regime change brings with it a new focus, a new set of "business rhythms", and a new influx of senior management brought in by the new execs.
    Morale among mid and senior level management is poor.

Management needs no advice, they already know everything.

Lonely on the outpost

Former Employee - UNIX Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - UNIX Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at ASRC Federal Holding Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent Salary, but they started getting greedy and cut the 401K Match amounts, found ways to keep salary increases low while their pay increase was already put in the long term contract. Only heard from management once in a while, and if you asked them a question, it was rare to get an answer.

Cons

Government contract, so it is nothing that ASRC can do to make the job different.

Be open, be helpful. If people need training, spend the money and make your employees an asset.

Contracting Firm. Nice People

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at ASRC Federal Holding Company as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

During the government shutdown in 2013, ASRC allowed us to use a week of vacation before it was accrued. The salary is good, at least on this contract. Paid snow days.

Cons

There is no "bench". If your contract ends, you are out the door, unless you find something within the company. Only 3 weeks of paid time off, accrued with every pay check. You can only get three weeks together at the end of the year.

They should call this place the 9th level of Hell.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beltsville, MD

I worked at ASRC Federal Holding Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The bottom level office employees were always willing to give a helping hand.

Cons

They have restructured upper management at least 6 times in the 7 years I worked there. With each new restructure, working at ASRC became worse and worse. The current restructure over the past two years has seen an influx of washed up Lockheed ex-employees, that add no real value, and have no idea what they are doing. ASRC is nothing more than a Lockheed Martin shell company at this point. The incoming Lockheed ex-employees have basically driven out all the former ASRC employees that brought value to the company. It went from a family atmosphere into a hell hole within a matter of months. Older ASRC employees, that are talented, are fleeing this company by the day.
    *AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!*

At this point I have no advice. The new management is just sucking the company dry while the board diddles it's fingers up in god knows where Alaska!

If you cut us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not find a new job?

Current Employee - Software Engineer Principal Lead in Moorestown, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Principal Lead in Moorestown, NJ

Pros

Very Flexible Hours. Great opportunity for new grads and people just starting out. A lot of peer support available.

Cons

The work environment has consistently been in a downward slide. There is a good deal of back stabbing by management and peers who are looking to advance. A history of layoffs and pay cuts - which also happened to upper management - has really had a negative impact on morale. The Holding Company is more interested in their bottom line to the stockholders than they are in producing a quality product. They have "penalized" loyalty and many years of hard service for the sake of new hires who have no experience but are lower on the pay scale. Advice to the new hires, get experience but don't get comfortable. If you do, you won't always be the new hire and it WILL happen to you too.

You need to start showing real appreciation for the people who have endured the hard times and remained loyal and committed over the difficult years. You can't keep cutting and taking only to tell them to work harder. Why would they? They've been working harder and you reward them with more process, tighter delivery schedules, less pay, less knowledgeable co workers, and no real show of appreciation.

Lack of Leadership

I worked at ASRC Federal Holding Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

mid-level employees have engagement with their clients

Clients have interesting challenges

Cons

Board leadership not strong
    Executive ranks poor quality and ever shifting
    Application of policy capricious

Board should choose a high caliber leadership team, implement professional talent development and tracking, and build the business.

Cognitive dissonance between stated values and actions of leadership are very disturbing

INDIFFERENCE

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at ASRC Federal Holding Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you're a contractor, you not on site w/ ASRC and can enjoy realtive autonomy. They use a lot of self service platform to stay connected, submit rpts, do time & benifits, which is a nice feature.

Cons

If you're a contractor, because your not on site w/ ASRC there can be a huge disconnect w/ management and thus your opportunities to grow with the company are nil. Also because of this, if you're a contractor, it seems as if you are a 2nd class citizen w/ ASRC and with the client. Truly your only as good to them as long as the contact lasts. It's very evident that they will side w/ the client in light of conflict and will have little or no loyalty to you. You really have to look out for your own best interests in this position.

Stop being fake and phony. It may be hard, but give it a try. If you hired intelligent people they'll see right through any smoke and mirrors. It's insulting. If you don't hire intelligent people, then you get what you pay for. Last, invest in your people . . . even if they are contractors.

New to IT Consulting

Former Employee - Program Management
    Former Employee - Program Management

I worked at ASRC Federal Holding Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great management folks; Interesting perspective on business development and positioning for federal contracts and proposals; large company with lots of potential synergies

Cons

Business processes support minimum technical competence; variable overhead rates make predicting financial performance very difficult; project management requires more accounting then PM experience; difficult to leverage synergies across business units;

If you want to be an IT consulting company, bring in experience folks, give them a budget, and do what they say. Otherwise, its better to close down those operations.

Good government contractor

Current Employee - Aerospace Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Aerospace Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at ASRC Federal Holding Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedules that offer good work/life balance. Compensation was better than I was expecting, so I was pleasantly surprised. Overall a positive experience.

Cons

Often workers are at remote locations and have limited contact with their manager or supervisor, which can lead to communication difficulties.

Engage with remote employees more often.