ASUCLA

CEO
1 Rating

Good for students

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Westwood, CA

I worked at ASUCLA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Accommodating to student schedules, teaches you how the student organization provides retail services to the university campus, encourages applications for Supervisor positions, employee discount

Cons

Not much personal growth, managers leave early, inefficient Electronics section (might have changed by now), tasks become repetitive, not much employee input.

Great, but unorganized.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ASUCLA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-Workers are great but other than that the only other pros I can think of are the amount of hours you can attain which are meaningful to a part-time employee.

Cons

Incompetence amongst career managers, amongst other minor things that exist within any non-profit organization or corporate structure. The incompetence takes the cake though, the managers seem to mess up a lot and then hand off the problems to the student managers and employees. Would be okay if it occurred every so often but every day? And you're wondering why the turnover rate is considerably high.

Be more aware of which students are your good employees and your bad ones. Obviously don't promote the slackers.

What Happened

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ASUCLA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible Hours ideal for a full time student convenient location just a short walk form the dorms and discounts.

Cons

In the beginning there was so much support from management he was always close by to answer questions help out with a customer and just guide you through your day if needed. The open door policy he would call it and "I'm never to busy to say hi" was his favorite phrase. There seemed to be a lot of support and interactions between management and students very supportive. Now we are short staffed all the time there is no training students are just thrown in and start working there were times were I was late to class because there would have been NO ONE in Taco Bell I just could not leave them like that.

Is there any one in upper management that is aware of the problem's that exist on "A" level??? I do see upper management come in and pour there own coffee while there are huge lines going in to the hallway and we don't have enough staff the areas are dirty and trash piles up all the time its gross working in conditions like this. Its just going to get worse with finals coming up. Why did summer run so smooth and now its total chaos??? WHAT HAPPEND ??? and WHEN WILL YOU FIX IT????

Worked as a CSR for 2 years.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Westwood, CA

I worked at ASUCLA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- They know you're a student so hours are pretty flexible.
    - Pay is decent for what you're expected to do.
    - Employee discounts.
    - Depending on your job, your manager can give you various office and retail duties so you won't get too bored.

Cons

- Can get a little hectic once football season begins.
    - Your hours can vary widely.

Stale

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ASUCLA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, Holidays off with pay, off on vacation during Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Cons

Working with incompetent leaders/directors. Dinosaurs stuck in antiquated practices OR simply have no clue.

Get some outsourced consulting firms to help run the business because at this point you're running it in the ground.

Part-time student job in campus coffee shop. Generally a good experience after 3 years of working there.

Current Employee - Student Senior Supervisor
    Current Employee - Student Senior Supervisor

I have been working at ASUCLA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working on-campus is convenient and there are fast promotion possibilities because students are always graduating and needing to be replaced. Employee discount plus quarterly extra discount day. Food service employes get 50% off food on days they work. Supervisors always work around class schedules

Cons

Bureaucratic: The restaurant I work in does not have a lot of character, considering it's a student hang-out. We cannot make changes to the menus or even hang up handwritten signs in the store.
    We are not allowed to accept tips...I still don't fully understand why. (Nice customers still insist we take them though!)
    Hours are not always ideal with 6:30 am openings and 11 pm closings

Allow students to have more input so the customer environment is more homey and less bureaucratic!
    We should be able to accept tips.

Very difficult to put up with the staff but one of my all time favorite jobs.

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ASUCLA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best reasons to work here are the shift openings and times to schedule around your life, additionally every 3 hours of work you get a meal card worth up to $3 off a meal on campus!

Cons

The lack of work available sometimes causes days to go by really slow and putting up with all the customers sometimes can get stressful.

Perhaps better pay increases to ensure better work productivity.

Flexible for students and good first-job experience, but not for long-term career

I have been working at ASUCLA

Pros

ASUCLA is in general a good starting employer for students. The hours are relatively flexible, the pay is decent (minimum wage, to a little above), and the people you meet can be helpful later. They know you are a student, so they're not expecting too much out of you, except that you do your job and fulfill your hours. An additional benefit from my job in particular is that I got to learn how to use Adobe Illustrator.

Cons

The job itself is a bit limiting, meaning that you are mostly confined to strictly what your job entails you to do. For example, I work as a graphic design assistant, and in my two years here, I have mostly remained in front of the computer. It would have been nice to get some experience working in other parts of the department (e.g. production) more often.

Allow students to explore other parts of the department (and of other departments) so they get a more diverse experience.

Stressful at times

I have been working at ASUCLA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely flexible hours for students

Cons

union career workers that are near impossible to fire even though they deserve to be. I account this to poor management and negotiation with union reps.

It was ok

I worked at ASUCLA

Pros

You could choose your own hours, which was nice.

Cons

Heavy lifting and carrying equipment across campus was tricky.