AT&T

5,705 Reviews

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
2,647 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are pretty impressive for the amount of work that's required (in 289 reviews)

• Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time (in 149 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is the biggest struggle because of the long retail hours (in 241 reviews)

• Upper management will throw store management under the bus to look good to RSC's (in 274 reviews)

More Highlights

227 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Former Employee

Current Employee - Maintenance Administrator  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Maintenance Administrator in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great salary for a semi-technical position, although it was a call center position. There are certainly opportunities for some to move up, but it is often more of a question of waiting it out (unless you are a fast tracked employee). Many of the employees have high seniority (20+ years at the company), so it is a company that you can consider for your entire career, if you so choose.

Cons

Middle management was often petty and more like baby sitters than professionals. Many of the arbitrary rules seemed to be developed just to make people less likely to stay there, and during the time that I quit, the company was indeed working to reduce the number of employees. They ultimately closed the super center they established by consolidating offices.

Create a culture that is not focused on creating a superior-subordinate dynamic. People work harder for managers they not only respect, but who respect them right back.

Proud to be an AT&T Retiree, but Still Believe There's Ample Room for Improvement There...!

Current Employee - Director (Retired)  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director (Retired) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good company with strong traditions and solid vision for the future. Doing all the right things to ensure their continued success in the world of Communications. From a career perspective, ample opportunities provided to progress in the business if you are willing to put forth the effort required to continually grow your skill sets and take on new responsibilities.

Cons

Can be very bureaucratic due to size. Continues to display a lot old fashioned behaviors such as attempting to move all General Managers and above to their corporate headquarters in Dallas. Willing to lose talented resources rather than allow for remote leadership.

Make sure you are truly practicing what you're preaching. Talk a good game about the importance of the people, yet still exhibit behaviors that do not take into consideration an employee's family, health or overall quality of work life. Still harbors a "Good Ole Boy" network within its upper/senior leadership levels.

Awesome

Former Employee - Call Center Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Call Center Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Advancement, Leadership Training, Motivating,

Cons

The only challenge I had was when my office was closed & I interviewed for several management positions locally the managers that were due to be surplus were not selected first. The only choice the managers had were to relocate out of state at your own expense, I did that once & couldn't afford to do it again plus my family responsibilities had changed at home.

My experience with upper management was good, as far as my performance evaluations, leadership training, I was given excellent constructive feedback to help me advance to the next level in my career, I was praised for my successes. my overall experience was excellent to me.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best company to begin and end your career at.

Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary was very sufficient, I was always treated with the utmost respect, my team was a family, and I had fun.

Cons

The only con was not realizing before I left this was the best place for me to be.

It was a good place to work.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It is a large company and room to grow.

Cons

In the Account Manager account base is important. If the account base is bad you cannot make quotas.

Get rid of the bad modules.

Retail Sales Manager

Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager  in  West Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager in West Chicago, IL

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is above average, you get exposed to several different management practices and at a relatively young age manage teams of 10-30 people.

Cons

Schedule, retail hours don't work well with work life balance ie 10am-8pm and working weekends. Constantly changing objectives

Need to develop other career paths outside of the retail channel. You will continue to lose top performers due to bottlenecks at the RSM/ARSM level.

Good Company

Former Employee - Finance Representative  in  Deer Park, IL
    Former Employee - Finance Representative in Deer Park, IL

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay, at the forefront of technology, excellent training in the retail portion of the company.

Cons

Hours in retail (never really a pro for family life), their view on education over experience needs to be revisited. People with degrees in completely unrelated fields are given $60k a year jobs without any previous retail sales or management experience just because they have a degree.

Revisit the college hire in program. Don't take jobs that candidates with years of company and industry experience would qualify and excel at and give them to people who have a degree in let's say journalism or a foreign language. Make them have a degree in something that would be relevant to the position they are being hired for; management, business admin, marketing, human resources, etc.

Career Prospect

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You can work in the company until retirement. Great health insurance, good retirement plan

Cons

Full of old and complacent employees. Don't bother to go for personal development like getting an MBA if you already work there. They will pay you like an intern for the rest f your life. Managers don't believe they should pay you more if you are already in. If you get your MBA look outside to another employee. The management talk but no action. Not a great company for career advancement. Dead end employer.

It's not enough to give tuition assistance without a program to assimilate employees that benefit from it into management. Paying MBA graduates like interns because the company gave them tuition assistance is like training for competitors. The CEO is good others, probably not

A good place to work but not a long time career.

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to make your own schedule and there is a lot of flexibility. Great benefits with a great vacation package.

Cons

Understanding how you get compensated is hard due to having so many metrics with different weighted pay outs. You have to have good working knowledge on hundreds of different products. Also, it can be hard to distinguish your role to the customer since they see you as a service manager more often then in sales.

Great Pay, makes it hard to Leave

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Pay, great benefits.

Cons

No work life balance, I believe full timers should have more control of their schedule.

Be more positive with employees, the constant observations make it really hard to feel comfortable when talking to customers. Be more understanding of employees having families.

Worked for AT&T? Contribute to the Community!