AT&T

5,653 Reviews

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
2,625 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are pretty good for a job you can walk into from high school (in 268 reviews)

• Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time (in 140 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is the biggest struggle because of the long retail hours (in 212 reviews)

• Upper management will throw store management under the bus to look good to RSC's (in 254 reviews)

More Highlights

186 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very Satisfied

Current Employee - HR-Benefits  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - HR-Benefits in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's a growing, diverse company, with many benefits in addition to a good salary and bonuses. Although they have restructured their bonus system in the last year, it is still a very fair way of compensating employees. They spend money on training and keeping us up to date on our skills set. Most management is approachable with issues you might have that need to be worked out. They have started Employee Engagement Surveys which really help them focus on what we as employees are thinking and how they can approach solutions.

Cons

In the past there has not been a clear path to getting the "next job" or promotion. It's a hit or miss approach. Recently, they put in place more of an outline of what you need to do to get your next new job or promotion, but the promotion aspect of the job is not one that is in line with more responsibility translates into an automatic raise. You have to wait for the annual review, so you are stuck in maybe getting an increase once a year, and it is usually not even keeping up with the rate of inflation. We have union employees, so every three years or so, we have to train for completely different jobs to take over their slots in case of a strike. These jobs are totally out of our realm of experience or expertise, and we are required to train for them while keeping up with our own work load at the same time. There is still this stigma that if your boss does not want to release you to a new job or promotion, they can deny you moving to an opportunity, which I think just translates into bosses not wanting to let go of great team members, instead of exercising their leadership skills in developing their team members to move on and ahead. They don't want to lose their good workers. I don't think that releaseability should be left solely to their whims.

Take more of an attitude of developing your team members into the next opportunity. This strengthens the company and lends itself to great employee relations. You are on the right track with recent developments in that area. I come to work to make a living primarily, but also to do a good job for you, so help me do both.

Business Account Executive

Current Employee - Business Account Executive  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to learn and develop.

Cons

Compensation is not the best.

Promote younger, hungrier people.

Lifetime career manager at AT&T in marketing and advertising

Current Employee - Director  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Progressive company - innovative, profitable and one of the biggest brands in the world

Cons

Departments are very siloed. Culture is slow to evolve. There needs to be fewer layers to stay nible and competitive in the long term.

Empower teams and individuals to innovate and make decisions. Discourage micromanagement on the top levels of the leadership team

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, even better future

Former Employee - Student Intern - Technical I  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Student Intern - Technical I in Dallas, TX

I worked at AT&T as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Employee culture, workspace 2020, Big Data, etc. AT&T is doing a great job at investing in its future. The employee and work culture is also incredible.

Cons

There were a lot of times when I felt that employees were being underutilized. I thought that some people weren't being challenged enough.

See Cons: make sure you challenge your employees!

Excellent Company to Work - Great Education, Training and Ability to Contribute

Former Employee - Executive Director  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

AT&T is a great company with lots of opportunities to learn a hi-tech business. Yes, I said hi-tech business and has been for years with one of the best networks and strategies that will help support millions of jobs across the U.S. for years to come. The majority of leaders are excellent and you will be given the opportunity and training to become a great leader and communicator - if you are interested in learning! Be prepared to dig in an learn too! Networking is important to advance, so do not think you can just do your job and someone will notice. Leaders want to know you - so get out there and meet as many people as you can! It can't hurt. :-)

Cons

All companies are interested in getting the most out of their most important resource - people! Will there be organizational changes? Yes! There must be change to keep up with customer demand, offer value to customers and shareholders, and stay ahead of browning demand for telecommunications/internet/Uverse TV service. If you have the drive to learn and more importantly to contribute, then you will strive at AT&.T. Work-life balance is up to each individual and can be accomplished, but it really depends on your personal goals.

Management really needs to expand the Leadership Development Program (LDP) perks to other employees. You are missing out on some really great employees who are move qualified for openings that automatically go to LDP just because of the program.

Very large company going through a transformation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Compensation is average but pay increases typically range from 3-5% and promotions are around 10%
    -Benefits for management employees have high deductibles to compensate for non-management employees

Cons

-A very large company results in a lot of hierarchy and bureaucracy that makes it difficult to get things done

-Culture is very old school and conservative. They are trying to change the dynamic but with a lot of 20+ year employees it is very difficult.

AT&T it's Big!

Former Employee - Account Management  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Management in Dallas, TX

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strength of the Company is unmatched in Telecom.

Cons

Due to the size, the ability to impact change is very limited. The bureaucracy is a nightmare where the union owns everything including managing who gets fired and who doesn't. The poorest of workers are completely protected.

Better evaluation of employees. Bad employees don't deserve to have jobs just because they are old, female or a minority.

Good stable company to work for but don't expect a lot of challenge

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary is good for the industry, ample vacation and personal time in addition to holidays. Flexibility. Employee discounts are very good. 401k and pension plans.

Cons

Management is often clueless and sometimes forgets which skills their employees have, training is almost nonexistent, raises are small (often less than 1% per year).

The old school mindset has to go, change with the times!

Huge company with a wealth of resources and opportunities

Current Employee - Lead Financial Analyst  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Breadth of operations
    Commitment to employees and their development
    Good work life balance (varies by specific department)
    Encouraged movement across the company

Cons

Bureaucracy can be overbearing at times and causes decision-making to be inefficient and lag
    Communication lapses with uncertainty on status of projects and initiatives

Continue with employee development initiatives
    Strive for a flatter organizational structure to allow for quicker decision-making and more efificiency

Ma' bell has donned a dress that some might see as too tight or young looking for someone of her age/size.

Current Employee - Lead Product Marketing Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Product Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You learn to quantify things, even things that normally you would not think have a value associated to them, such as love..."brand love" is one example for those in marketing or advertising roles. It's nice to see the correlation between the brand, product, market perception, etc take shape in a controlled environment. After all, it is much safer at AT&T than at a start-up...

Cons

Big risks on occasion lead to big rewards....the "on occasion" piece is absolutely true at AT&T, this isn't the AT&T/Bell Labs you hear about in old TV documentaries that was the market leader and driving force behind how the world became a smaller place. Today it's bigger, more regulated than ever, and drags the weight of many legacy networks that it simply cannot get rid of. As a result, everything, even the smallest decisions, moves at a snail's pace with lengthy levels of review and approvals. Some of my colleagues who do not work for AT&T have often criticized AT&T for being representative of the traditional way of running a company....that AT&T isn't guided by investing in technology solutions and customers service itself, but rather in the shiny veneer of it's brand that you see in multimillion dollar sponsorships, government lobbying which will only increase as AT&T works for gain government approval on a potential merger with DirectTV. Perhaps this is a move for a big risk?...Hardly, the last merger attempt with T-Mobile which was shut down by the Dept of Justice resulted in a $4B penalty and AT&T posted a $6.7B loss for the failure in order to close the books on that big risk. Senior officer team is still the same... apparently you can take a loss like this and still keep your job at AT&T. That's how tight the bond is with most of the senior managers. Who knows...maybe this time it will be different....

Forget the life long employee model which most of our senior management still belongs to which seems to continuously foster succession plans that are limited when it comes to diversity of thought and experience. Limit the power HR has on small decision to give greater power to managers and their employees on common sense managers. Yes, there will be some fall out, but not nearly as weighty as the possibilities of escalating small issues into large ones. And while I love our diversity and inclusion narrative...it's aspirational and idealistic for another generation of leaders at best. Just take at the photographs of senior leadership....good looking group we've built over the years, but continues to fails the litmus test within that group of elites. It's not clear to me how we have such lengthy and well written policies yet this can be like this even today. "What we say" and "what we do" in this area are often two separate things..it's not everyone, but when you get visible permission from senior management, that's invalidates what may have started as genuine intention. Suddenly, instead of being inclusive everyone moves into self preservation or small group preservation. That photo is just one example. and this is certainly not able solving for a "selfie" on the annual report, but rather solving for substance and truth of intent behind those words. So until we can finally approach that day when the photo (or whatever we that form of media in the future) in annual report can reconcile with those values we claim to hold dearly to our corporate culture, how on earth can we aspire to be thought leaders that bring about the most creative and simple solutions to many of the world's complexities? Let me end on a joke... TIP (the innovation pipeline).

Worked for AT&T? Contribute to the Community!