AT&T

5,596 Reviews

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
2,593 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are pretty good for a job you can walk into from high school (in 268 reviews)

• Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time (in 140 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is the biggest struggle because of the long retail hours (in 212 reviews)

• Upper management will throw store management under the bus to look good to RSC's (in 254 reviews)

More Highlights

62 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company for many years but a bit behind the curve now.

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to work, tons of training a lot of solutions to draw from great executive leadership. They aren't going to fail anytime soon so there is a lot of security in that.

Cons

Too many different billing systems and disparate care teams that make customer service a nightmare. There isn't very much career growth opportunities either.

Architect

Current Employee - Lead Principal-Technical Architect  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Principal-Technical Architect in Redmond, WA

I have been working at AT&T for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work life balance. Good learning

Cons

Not good for software development

NEPOTIST HIRING PRACTICES.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at AT&T as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Casual mentality. People like to dress up. Family oriented in a big way. Nice locations. If you're Indian, you'll fit in just fine. Diversity seems to flourish here. The workload is well thought out. Most managers are very nice and easy to get along with.

Cons

No flex time. Strict break and lunch times are ridiculous. No cafeteria. Temporary Agencies kind of ruin everything. Nepotism is very high at this Corporation. Hiring is based on how your relatives are within the company, regardless of experience. I've seen a school teacher hired for Software engineering and was trained to do her job, and even though she was slow and terrible at it, they kept her on, because her husband was a Project manager. They cram 12 people into an office created for 2.

Hire based on skills not on your personal preferences.
    Stop the nepotism.
    Flex time.
    Cafeteria.
    Stop cramming a bunch of people into tiny rooms, so ridiculous.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They treat contractors like cattle

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at AT&T as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good work experience for the resume

Cons

Managers treated me with extreme disrespect. On my 1-year anniversary, I was rewarded with a call from my contracting firm saying don't come in tomorrow. No warning, no reason, no nothing, just here's a shipping label to mail us your laptop and maybe we'll send you the personal stuff in your desk. I understand all contractors are treated that way.

Put people first.

Pays well, and Reasonable work load

Current Employee - Senior Technical Architect  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Architect in Redmond, WA

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work arrangement, including work from home

Cons

A lot of works are performed by offshore contractors, some of them are not competent.

About as agile as a boulder

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at AT&T as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They pay well, and at least my managers don't push people to work overtime.

Cons

There's very little teamwork, and while the management preaches agility, they don't actually support it. The product owners aren't particularly engaged with the development process, and the company doesn't even have free coffee for its employees.
    Innovation is a thing long past here.

Don't work for them as a contractor

Current Employee - Contract Credit Specialist  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Contract Credit Specialist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at AT&T as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time. I am able to take off during lunch. I can even take long lunches. Taking time off is no problem (likely because I take the hit for it.)

Cons

Left to deal with problems that you shouldn't. You wouldn't BELIEVE the things that are manual that shouldn't be.

Value employees (whether payrolled or not) and instill some morale boosters from time to time.

Job Security but getting anything done takes patience

Current Employee - Director  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Big company with many opportunities to learn new things, network, and grow. A technology leader and many jobs allow a great view of what's happening across the industry. Great people and most teams have work life balance. If you don't like your job or get bored, it's easy to find other interesting jobs across the company. There's always something new and interesting popping up and often offering work experience that's very valuable in the industry.

Cons

Big company with tons of bureaucracy and politics, especially in corporate and leadership positions. Tons and tons of internal company processes with many "boards" to approve every possible angle of a project. Old school when it comes to workplace hierarchy but can vary from organization to organization. There aren't going to be many company sponsored celebrations like Christmas parties and company picnics. So don't work here if you love that stuff. It's all about getting the work done for as little as expense as possible. That's not only reflected in the project budgets, but also the facilities, annual raises, and lack of investment in tools.

Find ways to empower your people. Massive amounts of time and energy are spent on internal processes which zap away employee motivation and project momentum. It's created a culture of CYA instead of inspiring people to move the company forward every day. After a few years, most people get beat down by "the system".

Some great people are inhibited by a dictatorial management style

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Redmond, WA

I worked at AT&T as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great variety of contractors, most attempting to build collegiate working environment.

Cons

FTE and contract managers are both incompetent and severely controlling, enforcing substandard process to protect their management position. Hair-trigger reaction to normal SOP questions. No standards, inept reports with meaningless data, most designed to protect project management. Beware. They'll make you the problem if you rock the obfuscation boat.

Bring some contractors in for a 1 on 1 and ask the right questions, your productivity is about 20% thanks to WHOLLY unqualified managers that cover for each other. I knew this day 1, and observed obsequious sycophancy; it grew worse as I pushed for transparency in reporting work, including insight into SOPs and "tracking reports" Check Rally: 2 year backlog, no report to show even 40 hours of work in 6 months for any given employee.

good company with lots of resources but also lots of process and inefficiency

Current Employee - Principal Architect  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Architect in Redmond, WA

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

stability, good base pay, friendly working environment; the company is well known as a telecom giant and has many resources and provides opportunities for career growth if you are proactive

Cons

benefits are not top-notch compared to tech industry, lots of process overhead, slow to adapt to industry trends and move rapidly

improve benefits for employees and streamline processes

Worked for AT&T? Contribute to the Community!