AT&T

6,090 Reviews

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
2,847 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are pretty impressive for the amount of work that's required (in 305 reviews)

• Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time (in 157 reviews)

Cons
  • However what they don't advertise is the absolutely horrendous work/life balance (in 264 reviews)

• Upper management will throw store management under the bus to look good to RSC's (in 288 reviews)

More Highlights

Part Time

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Flexible scheduling for part time employees. My work varies anywhere from 24 to 32 hours a week depending how it conflicts with my class schedule.

Cons

Quotas can be tough sometimes, but if you work at them and manage to exceed commission checks do compound quickly.

More details passed down for why things are done and when are changes are going to occur. Focus more on making corporately owned locations more competitive with indirect and national retailers.

Awesome! Very positive

Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant

I have been working at AT&T full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1 of the best things about AT&T is the training you receive as a New Hire. The company sends you to a designated location for a month's worth of training. They teach you the basics of sales and how to maximize your customers in-store experiences. While at training if it is necessary, they will pay to put you in a hotel, give you an American Express card for daily meals and reimburse you for any travel expenses in a very timely manor. The training you receive is top of the line.

Next, lets talk pay. At&t pays their employees extremely well. With a base salary with paid overtime and full benefits and a compensation program, you won't want to leave the company just for that reason. They take care of their employees for the time you spend with them.

Room for advancement. At AT&T moving up is a breeze if your motivated and a hard working individual. My current assistant store manager has only been with the company 10 months and is already looking at becoming a small business rep.

Cons

The work and life balance. The hours are long and tiring to the point were when you get home all you want to do is sleep and on your days off as well.

Customers you have to deal with and the ability for a sales rep to control the interaction . That is one of the biggest complaint I have about the company. A lot of times customers come into the store hot and as sales reps we don't have the discretion or ability to waive ridiculous fees or fix issues. Everything seems like it has to be refereed to customer care which makes for a bad customer experience in store.

Let your team members know you appreciate their hard work and dedication and with out them, they wouldn't have customers.

A Very Good Company with Many New Changes for the Future

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked 30 plus years at AT&T and have had a good tenure while there. Lots of changes over the last 30 years and more on the way. This will not be the company I hired on with as they have had to change with competition and a growing need for more advanced services.

Cons

AT&T is a union shop and my experiences with the CWA Union were very negative. Additionally, when I was promoted to local first level management it was a nightmare with the micromanagement that was applied by mid and upper management. Goals were established that opposed each other which made life very confusing. Also, lots of favoritism.

Allow lower levels of management to make decisions that will foster teamwork with their subordinates. Make sensible requests that allow lower management to work reasonable hours and grow as managers.

Love the company, love the job!

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Exceptional leadership. World Class technology talent. Largest and most secure network in the word.

Cons

Recent loss of exceptional management talent due to relocation of leadership roles

Strive to achieve better retention of talent. Set goal to make the list of Fortune 500 top 100 companies to work for.

experience dependent on local leadership

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Tacoma, WA

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company provides great pay, benefits, and opportunities for advancement. Many different options are available to you and their is almost a career path for any type of profession you are seeking.

Cons

Unfortunately AT&T seems to struggle with the "old boys club" syndrome. A few old school bad apples that have gotten to positions where they are practically untouchable breed a discord of company standards and reality in the work place. Playing favoritism and if you are "different" than them, you are not as good. To excel beyond entry level management you are expected to tow the line of "normality".

Branch out in leadership. Allow newer younger minds to effect your business and mission. Staying true to your "old roots" is only severely handicapping your potential for growth and advancement.

A Positive Experience At AT&T

Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good training, tuition Reimbursement

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities for promotions
    No much for life/work balance

Good company

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Pay and benefits are really good

Cons

Management and can make or break work environment. Management gets in trouble for numbers and you will slowly see them take it out in reps and don't change their actions but expect everyone else to.

Good experience overall

Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Union City, CA
    Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Union City, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation for the position is way above other retail sales positions. Nice that you get hourly wage and commission.

Work life balance is good.

Company was good about telling employees what they were looking for in management. Plenty of upward trajectories within my store.

Discounts on wireless service, u-verse, accessories, and digital life for employees.

Cons

Expect to work 45-50 hours if you're full-time and you want to meet quota.

Sales positions in general are not for everyone.

Micro-attention to all of your sales metrics. Goals change month to month.

I had great management at my store. I would recommend that others follow their style:

-Support your team when customers act like jerks.

-Ask for their honest concerns/feelings about new products, show employees how to overcome objections by example.

-Competitions (with prizes!!) within the store for meeting sales goals was nice. Made work more fun.

Mixed Bag

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay scale in midwest

Cons

hard to advance from entry level

Great.

Current Employee - AT&T Mobility RSC in Danbury, CT
    Current Employee - AT&T Mobility RSC in Danbury, CT

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, hard work but definitely worth the pay.

Cons

The goals you have to hit are a little bit high but definitely attainable.