AT&T

5,933 Reviews

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
2,758 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are pretty impressive for the amount of work that's required (in 305 reviews)

• Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time (in 157 reviews)

Cons
  • However what they don't advertise is the absolutely horrendous work/life balance (in 264 reviews)

• Upper management will throw store management under the bus to look good to RSC's (in 288 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall Good Company - I've enjoyed my 30+ years.

Current Employee - PMTS in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - PMTS in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is decent. Work is challenging if not outright FUN. As a lab, new tech is being actively analyzed.

Cons

The company has a heavily political atmosphere. It's not necessarily what you know but who you know. To much brown-nosing.
    We have too few technically proficient workers and way too many "lets call a meeting" project managers. A lot of wasted time.
    Legacy SBC employees get paid more than legacy BellSouth employees. Don't ask me how I know. I know, people talk.

Quit outsourcing. Quit paying new hires the same (or more) than high rated long time employees. The pay plan obviously needs to be revised. How can a new employee I trained be hired at a higher rate than me?

Create a more vibrant technical career ladder. Today we have but a paper shell of one.

Quit the turmoil. Who in their right mind starts up capital spending in march and shuts it down in june?

You need to bring back proprietorship in the company. Most new hires see this as only a temp job. They know you are screwing the long time employees with stagnant wages. Who would want to buy into this?

Awesome! Very positive

Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant

I have been working at AT&T full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1 of the best things about AT&T is the training you receive as a New Hire. The company sends you to a designated location for a month's worth of training. They teach you the basics of sales and how to maximize your customers in-store experiences. While at training if it is necessary, they will pay to put you in a hotel, give you an American Express card for daily meals and reimburse you for any travel expenses in a very timely manor. The training you receive is top of the line.

Next, lets talk pay. At&t pays their employees extremely well. With a base salary with paid overtime and full benefits and a compensation program, you won't want to leave the company just for that reason. They take care of their employees for the time you spend with them.

Room for advancement. At AT&T moving up is a breeze if your motivated and a hard working individual. My current assistant store manager has only been with the company 10 months and is already looking at becoming a small business rep.

Cons

The work and life balance. The hours are long and tiring to the point were when you get home all you want to do is sleep and on your days off as well.

Customers you have to deal with and the ability for a sales rep to control the interaction . That is one of the biggest complaint I have about the company. A lot of times customers come into the store hot and as sales reps we don't have the discretion or ability to waive ridiculous fees or fix issues. Everything seems like it has to be refereed to customer care which makes for a bad customer experience in store.

Let your team members know you appreciate their hard work and dedication and with out them, they wouldn't have customers.

Long history, lots of changes

Current Employee - Network Operations Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Network Operations Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strength of the company is from the old Southwestern Bell roots, not from the legacy AT&T company, which was bought by SBC in 2005. SBC took the AT&T name, but the management team was from SBC.
    Lots of opportunities for development if you are in the right city.
    Innovative company which has survived throughout the turbulence of the telecom industry.
    Very talented people working on new technology.
    Good (but not great) pay and benefits.

Cons

If you are not mobile, you won't advance, regardless of how good your skills are.
    Many of the people who came over when SBC bought AT&T still have the legacy AT&T mindset of "budget cutting is the only way to be profitable."
    Assignments in the older (wireline) side of the business are dead end jobs, but getting out of those jobs into other assignments is tough.
    Outside technical and customer-facing jobs are high pressure, poorly paid, and typically dead-end.

Use your own technology to get the best workers, regardless of physical location.
    Be more honest about future plans and don't limit opportunities for people who want to move into other parts of the business.
    Don't try to achieve profitability by short-changing employees. They will leave, whether voluntarily or involuntarily, and will cause damage to the brand in the process.

A Very Good Company with Many New Changes for the Future

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked 30 plus years at AT&T and have had a good tenure while there. Lots of changes over the last 30 years and more on the way. This will not be the company I hired on with as they have had to change with competition and a growing need for more advanced services.

Cons

AT&T is a union shop and my experiences with the CWA Union were very negative. Additionally, when I was promoted to local first level management it was a nightmare with the micromanagement that was applied by mid and upper management. Goals were established that opposed each other which made life very confusing. Also, lots of favoritism.

Allow lower levels of management to make decisions that will foster teamwork with their subordinates. Make sensible requests that allow lower management to work reasonable hours and grow as managers.

rsc

Current Employee - AT&T Mobility RSC in Deer Park, NY
    Current Employee - AT&T Mobility RSC in Deer Park, NY

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is really good especially since it does not require a college degree. i would recommend that anyone work here.

Cons

the hours aren't the best out there. working here you cant have a family because the schedules are made based on seniority.

Great Company with Excellent Benefits

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Sulphur, LA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Sulphur, LA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, Co Workers, Benefits, Values, Job Security. It really is a great company to work for. Especially if you do not hold a degree.

Cons

Constant Change and Expectations. The constant change and hours are why I left. Also managers playing favorites (happens everywhere). Also new hires earned more than seasoned employees. It sends a message that seniority is not appreciated and you are replaceable.

Consider how changes effect front line employees and not just shareholders

Customer information specialist

I worked at AT&T

Pros

Consistency, friendly atmosphere, pay, fast paced.

Cons

I have no complaints about this job

Keep up the good work

Working at AT&T has been enjoyable they are always looking to reduce reduce reduce.

Current Employee - Lead Financial Analyst in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Financial Analyst in Bothell, WA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience, Push to experience new things

Cons

Learn to enjoy change or the process that comes with change.

Think about others values promote hard workers

IT Specialist Junior

Current Employee - IT Specialist Junior in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Current Employee - IT Specialist Junior in Camp Pendleton, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (less than an year)

Pros

AT&T is a caring organization that will help it's employees to no end. (ie school, finance, promotions.)

Cons

Leadership can take a while to get back with you on somethings. Could only apply to me.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Waco, TX

I worked at AT&T part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Corporate culture, growth opportunities, pay

Cons

Can be stressful mostly dealing with people who have problems.

Keep encouraging friendly competition amongst the sales people