AT&T

5,653 Reviews

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
2,625 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are pretty good for a job you can walk into from high school (in 268 reviews)

• Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time (in 140 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is the biggest struggle because of the long retail hours (in 212 reviews)

• Upper management will throw store management under the bus to look good to RSC's (in 254 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Satisfied

Current Employee - HR-Benefits  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - HR-Benefits in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's a growing, diverse company, with many benefits in addition to a good salary and bonuses. Although they have restructured their bonus system in the last year, it is still a very fair way of compensating employees. They spend money on training and keeping us up to date on our skills set. Most management is approachable with issues you might have that need to be worked out. They have started Employee Engagement Surveys which really help them focus on what we as employees are thinking and how they can approach solutions.

Cons

In the past there has not been a clear path to getting the "next job" or promotion. It's a hit or miss approach. Recently, they put in place more of an outline of what you need to do to get your next new job or promotion, but the promotion aspect of the job is not one that is in line with more responsibility translates into an automatic raise. You have to wait for the annual review, so you are stuck in maybe getting an increase once a year, and it is usually not even keeping up with the rate of inflation. We have union employees, so every three years or so, we have to train for completely different jobs to take over their slots in case of a strike. These jobs are totally out of our realm of experience or expertise, and we are required to train for them while keeping up with our own work load at the same time. There is still this stigma that if your boss does not want to release you to a new job or promotion, they can deny you moving to an opportunity, which I think just translates into bosses not wanting to let go of great team members, instead of exercising their leadership skills in developing their team members to move on and ahead. They don't want to lose their good workers. I don't think that releaseability should be left solely to their whims.

Take more of an attitude of developing your team members into the next opportunity. This strengthens the company and lends itself to great employee relations. You are on the right track with recent developments in that area. I come to work to make a living primarily, but also to do a good job for you, so help me do both.

AT&T Labs

Former Employee - Intern  in  Middletown, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Middletown, NJ

I worked at AT&T as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Peaceful and beautiful place. Many interactions between other researchers.

Cons

If you don't have a family (not married), maybe a boring place

Be positive and active. No body hates Q&A.

Experience at AT&T

Current Employee - Business Account Executive
    Current Employee - Business Account Executive

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is great and solutions are excellent.

Cons

Internal processes are outdated, time consuming.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work with

Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at AT&T as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Great & Flexible management. Team oriented. Opportunity to expand your areas in different fields with training provided by expertise.

Cons

AT&T will offer contracting only for 3 years. No matter what or how much you learn got to leave after 3 years. if interested you can come back only after 6 months.

If possible increase the contract term or provide a contract to hire opportunity for individuals who get trained or provide service for 3 years.

It was an ok job

Current Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Detroit, MI

I have been working at AT&T full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Training, overtime almost always guaranteed, good pay

Cons

They add on expectations that could get you in trouble every month, you WILL work in Harsh weather conditions,

non

Very frustrating at times , but overall rewarding

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is competitive, benefits are real

Cons

Memebers not being on the same page, communication lacks between team and management

Great Benefits, Management Experience

Former Employee - Finance Representative  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Finance Representative in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was fortunate enough to be in the "pilot" program for Finance Representatives. My manager was awesome and showed me the ropes of running a store. I worked Monday - Friday which is AMAZING in Retail. We were recognized by upper management when we did a good job, which is often if you keep up with your daily paperwork. ALWAYS something to do.

Cons

Management responsibilities but NOT management pay. Mine was $12 range. I wish I knew where these reps worked that made $17 per hour, I'd NEVER have left my job if I had been in that range. Very rewarding work, but a lot of responsibility for $12. Had to help with customers when the sales floor was crowded, but we were not paid commission, no matter how much we sold. You also were scapegoat if ANY inventory was missing, and DONT misplace or have a phone stolen. All in all, best job I've ever had.

This position should be called "Store Operations Manager", and they should be compensated as management. Audits are SUPER stressful - that's reason enough to push for "Management" status.

Very good company to work for

Current Employee - Technical Intern  in  El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Intern in El Paso, TX

I have been working at AT&T part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, workplace,etc...
    SUPER A training

Cons

not enough challenge to increase technical skills

Former Employee

Current Employee - Maintenance Administrator  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Maintenance Administrator in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great salary for a semi-technical position, although it was a call center position. There are certainly opportunities for some to move up, but it is often more of a question of waiting it out (unless you are a fast tracked employee). Many of the employees have high seniority (20+ years at the company), so it is a company that you can consider for your entire career, if you so choose.

Cons

Middle management was often petty and more like baby sitters than professionals. Many of the arbitrary rules seemed to be developed just to make people less likely to stay there, and during the time that I quit, the company was indeed working to reduce the number of employees. They ultimately closed the super center they established by consolidating offices.

Create a culture that is not focused on creating a superior-subordinate dynamic. People work harder for managers they not only respect, but who respect them right back.

Boring Job, but paid the bills

I worked at AT&T

Pros

It was a great job that helped pay the bills.

Cons

It was the same exact thing 40 times ago. Take a phone call about a payment arrangement.

N/A

Worked for AT&T? Contribute to the Community!