AT&T

6,506 Reviews

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
3,034 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are pretty impressive for the amount of work that's required (in 316 reviews)

• Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time (in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • However what they don't advertise is the absolutely horrendous work/life balance (in 275 reviews)

• Upper management will throw store management under the bus to look good to RSC's (in 294 reviews)

More Highlights

AT&T isn't the high-tech, glossy company that their ads lead you to believe.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

My immediate supervisor and his boss do a great job of recognizing and rewarding good performance, in spite of the fight they typically have to undergo to obtain approval for their bonus & salary increase recommendations.

Cons

The have off-load a much larger portion of the cost of benefits onto the employees. Within IT there is very little opportunity for career advancement if you are a top performer because you ae deemed too important to leave that specific organization. Standardized process is now being fostered upon all projects regardless of whether or not it fits or adds value. For former BellSouth employees, it took until may for our benefits coverage to actually reflect what we opted-in for back in November -- stuff that should have been effective on January first. Many AT&T business practices and IT systems are archaic, but are being impllmented across the board regardless if existing BellSouth functionality or sytems were better.

Try and remember that it your employees that truly drive your bottom line. If the employees are not satisfied, service will suffer, customers will be lost, and revenue will disappear.

?

Current Employee - Network Center Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Network Center Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Training, opportunity to gain varied work experience and the pay and benefits are above average.

Cons

Inflexible for non-management. Union is useless; both the company and the union work to many back door deals. You hear from your boss and the propaganda put out by the executives but nothing in between unless maybe you are in a job surplus status. I have to say that I think quite well of Mike Lynch, I think he's a genuine, personable, fantastic director.

Get rid of the AT&T (legacy) executives - they are awful, make poor business decisions and start letting SBC executives manage the company once again. SBC executives should be giving lessons to AT&T executives. Ed Whitacre in particular, was an example of how AT&T executives should be.

Stop implementing changes without resolving the details first. Your scorecards are often looking at the wrong metrics. Learn how to implement Six Sigma properly and use Lean+Six Sigma not just Six Sigma; we stand to gain more from becoming lean than what we can gain from reducing defects.

We need to use an integrated approach- this ridiculous nonsense of business unit stakeholders not working implementation plans out at the strategic levels has got to stop. The inefficiencies in our company are disguised because we are making money. If we suddenly started loosing money, we would take a strong look at where we could tighten our operations up.

One last thing, our customer service is pathetic. It simply stinks unless you are a medium or large business, then you may get better service. The only people who get worse customer service than the average Joe that calls in, are the employees when we have an issue. We have to deal with the concessions department and they are worse to deal with than the regular customer service people. There is nothing more aggravating than calling in to a call center and getting a convoluted call tree or someone telling you "we don't do that, you have to call...."

AT&T: A job, not a career

Current Employee - Lead Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Paycheck. My own boss is excellent and protects us as well as he can from increasing levels of corporate nonsense. If you can find the right place to work, you can earn a lot more doing a lot less than most companies.

Cons

Lack of respect for employees. Exponentially increasing levels of bureaucracy, process, and paperwork. Requirement that senior management approve everyday decisions that regular employees were allowed to make themselves just a few years ago. Steady erosion of pay and benefits. Company spends most of its time reviewing and re-reviewing decisions and changing decisions rather than sticking to a plan and carrying it out. Major decisions are made without honest and accurate evaluation of alternatives.

Treat employees like adults, not like inmates in a juvenile detention center. Make your actions fit your words. Try to get the basic things like payroll and benefits right so employees don't have to waste days of their own time sorting out mistakes that should never have been made in the first place (and 10 years ago would have been unthinkable).

AT&T customer care - the place to work for great money and benefits - if you're completely devoid of all human emotion

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

great pay, great benefits, and great opportunity for advancement if you play your cards right. aaaaaand that's about it. yep. that's all. i've truely got nothing more. so i guess i can just simply repeat myself. yep, sounds good. i think that's what i'll do. great pay, great benefits, great opportunity for advancement if you play your cards right. great pay, great benefits, great opportunity for advancement if you play your cards right. great pay, great benefits, great opportunity for advancement if you play your cards right. great pay, great benefits, great opportunity for advancement if you play your cards right.......

Cons

employees have been working *mandatory* overtime for 2+ years b/c of understaffing, time off for *any* reason is nearly impossible to get, sick days are unheard of (two absences "allowed" per year - within those two days, any absence occurances require disciplinary action up to and including termination depending on the situation) once released from training, help and development is pretty much unheard of as well, and then, of course, the obvious factor that most customers call in for the most part pissed off about one thing or another and your job is to transition them from a pissed off customer into a buying customer, while being treated like their personal punching bag. oh, and my favorite thing? getting a verbal disciplinary warning when i've gone pee too many times within any given day......fuuunnn......

your employees are exhusted. please please please hire additional employees to relieve the ones who have been working 10 hours a day, 5 days a week for the past 2+ years. this is not what they were accepting when the position was offered. commit to development of your employees. they should not be going months on end with developmental sessions being scheduled then CANCELED time after time after time, only to then be disciplined when they underperform. take care of your people and they'll take care of you. that's just good business.

Cingular Wireless, Please stay away!!

Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Due to the merger with ATT Wireless we all were forced to work for the new company. I was satisfied that they kept the current benefits and structure for a whole year after the merger before wholesale changes were made.

Cons

The complete sales support system that utilized the CRM product created numerous problems that could have been solved with more senior level cooperation.

Listen to your employees instead of artificially increasing production numbers. Most mangers were supporting their account executives to CHURN customers when a respectable company would not accept this behavior. Please do not turn a blind eye to all the things that you support by doing nothing about it.

Good place for work life balance

Current Employee - Software Lead in Holmdel, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Lead in Holmdel, NJ

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Like any big company, your job experience at AT&T will vary from group to group. If you are a competent and productive engineer, you have quite a bit of flexibility in defining your role and your contribution level. Good scope for professional growth, colleagues are knowledgeable, lots of learning opportunities, camaraderie among team members.

Cons

Sometimes things move too slowly. If you are in a group that has lot of senior members, opportunities for growth are limited. That said, you will be recognized by management no matter - you may not get promotions but your work will be recognized and appreciated.

Pay attention to the market

AT&T Can Do Better

Current Employee - Senior Technology Security Manager in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Security Manager in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Longevity is key to security

Cons

Recognition and encouragement. Educational oportunities and training support

Show respect to subordinates. Come up with some fresh ideas. Diversify the business. Be agressive about inovation.

Downsized

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

salary, teamwork, benefits (shrinking), headquarters workspace

Cons

no loyalty, callous treatment, 'bottom line' mentality

R.E.S.P.E.C.T., try to think like one of us, instead of a Wall Street dynamo

Hello?

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Right now, it's better than the alternative.

Cons

No loyalty from company. Employees just a cost.

Try getting rid of some of the fat at the top. You've cut into the bone at the bottom.

Great job to get, Watch you Back!!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

They have an excellent benefits package. The job security is good, and any moran from the street with absolutely no backround can apply and work here.

Cons

Layoffs. People that have experienced working for Pacific Bell-SBC-ATT see the difference in environment of work. There are a lot of people looking to work their way up the ladder and have no morals whatsoever when it comes to personal gain.

Go back to the business model that Pacific Bell was based on. Employees and customers were the main focus. Like family. Now it is nothing but a money grinder and numbers on the dotted line are all that matter.