AT&T

5,653 Reviews

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
2,625 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are pretty good for a job you can walk into from high school (in 268 reviews)

• Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time (in 140 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is the biggest struggle because of the long retail hours (in 212 reviews)

• Upper management will throw store management under the bus to look good to RSC's (in 254 reviews)

More Highlights

Former Employee

Current Employee - Maintenance Administrator  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Maintenance Administrator in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great salary for a semi-technical position, although it was a call center position. There are certainly opportunities for some to move up, but it is often more of a question of waiting it out (unless you are a fast tracked employee). Many of the employees have high seniority (20+ years at the company), so it is a company that you can consider for your entire career, if you so choose.

Cons

Middle management was often petty and more like baby sitters than professionals. Many of the arbitrary rules seemed to be developed just to make people less likely to stay there, and during the time that I quit, the company was indeed working to reduce the number of employees. They ultimately closed the super center they established by consolidating offices.

Create a culture that is not focused on creating a superior-subordinate dynamic. People work harder for managers they not only respect, but who respect them right back.

Boring Job, but paid the bills

I worked at AT&T

Pros

It was a great job that helped pay the bills.

Cons

It was the same exact thing 40 times ago. Take a phone call about a payment arrangement.

N/A

Great company you work for.

Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant  in  Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Columbia, SC

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Constantly working.
    Never bored.
    Access to new devices first.
    Great training.

Cons

Quota. But I've heard that's changed and is more attainable.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard to compete with

Current Employee - Retail Leadership Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Retail Leadership Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AT&T full-time for less than a year

Pros

The training is great. They truly want to develop and promote you within the company. The benefits are incredible too. Think about it, how often do you see AT&T for any sports events? Discounts for all types of events, plan, and new products in a great plus. They have full coverage of benefits as well. Company culture is also great. Upper management, including the regional president, presidents, and CEO are extremely humble; like talking to your best friend's dad. Humility is an important trait many people have within the company.

Cons

Work life balance at first if you start in retail, but that is with any retail job. It starts adjusting as you go along with the job once you train your assistant managers to run a store without you.

Love the development of your people.

Good experience, no room for advancement.

Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant  in  Eatontown, NJ
    Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Eatontown, NJ

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay for not having a Bachelors degree. 48k year one, 58k year 2, 67k year 3.

Cons

No room for advancement. If you start in sales you will die there. You can become an assistant manager and make 40k a year. Then a manager 60k then DSM 80-90k. You need to go down to move up, the company makes no sense in that regard.

Do something, your union staff does your whole job.

Awesome, until they wanted to make a change

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I had the benefit of working with a lot of great people for a long time. My crew was loyal to a fault and still are. I haven't been there in a few years and we all still talk! It was a great family environment.

Cons

Every month there was a different fire to put out management wise, there was some change being made as a knee jerk reaction to something someone said or did instead of staying the tried and true course.

Very Satisfied

Current Employee - HR-Benefits  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - HR-Benefits in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's a growing, diverse company, with many benefits in addition to a good salary and bonuses. Although they have restructured their bonus system in the last year, it is still a very fair way of compensating employees. They spend money on training and keeping us up to date on our skills set. Most management is approachable with issues you might have that need to be worked out. They have started Employee Engagement Surveys which really help them focus on what we as employees are thinking and how they can approach solutions.

Cons

In the past there has not been a clear path to getting the "next job" or promotion. It's a hit or miss approach. Recently, they put in place more of an outline of what you need to do to get your next new job or promotion, but the promotion aspect of the job is not one that is in line with more responsibility translates into an automatic raise. You have to wait for the annual review, so you are stuck in maybe getting an increase once a year, and it is usually not even keeping up with the rate of inflation. We have union employees, so every three years or so, we have to train for completely different jobs to take over their slots in case of a strike. These jobs are totally out of our realm of experience or expertise, and we are required to train for them while keeping up with our own work load at the same time. There is still this stigma that if your boss does not want to release you to a new job or promotion, they can deny you moving to an opportunity, which I think just translates into bosses not wanting to let go of great team members, instead of exercising their leadership skills in developing their team members to move on and ahead. They don't want to lose their good workers. I don't think that releaseability should be left solely to their whims.

Take more of an attitude of developing your team members into the next opportunity. This strengthens the company and lends itself to great employee relations. You are on the right track with recent developments in that area. I come to work to make a living primarily, but also to do a good job for you, so help me do both.

Exciting,and enjoyable experience.

Current Employee - Collection Representative  in  Commerce, CA
    Current Employee - Collection Representative in Commerce, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

learning how to communicate with different types of people being able to help can accommodate customers to their needslearning how to solve problems and it's same time to communicate and enjoy the benefits and and experience that this job has to offer.

Cons

every position is a very challenging position put your mind to it and as long as your determined and focused you can always overcome anything that you see in the future as something negative be positive I think something very challenging will be the fact that overtime may not necessarily be offered as I would like to be I like being challenged and in telecommunications the experience itself is challenging.

I've been in a position before where as a collection Rep I was not very popular with the customers however I learned that no matter how bad the news is sometimes you as a representative have control of the call is how you communicate with the customer that will give you the best result

Overall Great company to work for

Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant  in  Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

this company offers benefits, great pay and compensation, incentives, tuition reimbursement,etc. They provide a great working environment and i actually had fun working with the company.

Cons

no career advancement options. If you start in sales.... you will retire in sales. no work/life balance either...you must work weekends.

Loved it.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative  in  Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Kansas City, KS

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meet people. Good pay. Good benefits.

Cons

Had to work All weekends every week.

Worked for AT&T? Contribute to the Community!