AT&T

5,844 Reviews

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
2,718 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are pretty impressive for the amount of work that's required (in 294 reviews)

• Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time (in 152 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is the biggest struggle because of the long retail hours (in 251 reviews)

• Upper management will throw store management under the bus to look good to RSC's (in 281 reviews)

More Highlights

At the end of my career it was horrible to be a technician. When I started it was great.

Current Employee - Telecommunications Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Telecommunications Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits if you don't mind all the politics.

Cons

MSOC matrix is hard to balance when you have management folks that do not know how to manage. The good managers get shifted around to help out one trouble spot after another. The culture sucks !

Interesting but loved it. Worked for them over 5 years

Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I drove around all day. Met different people, nice people who liked seeing a woman install Uverse

Cons

The hours were brutal. As a single mother, it was hard. Politics and numbers game. Hated it. Someone said it's not what you know but who you know, and at ATT, that's the truth.

Treat your workers as people, as individuals. Show appreciation that your employees (some) are gaining their all and those that are there for a check, let them go.

Retail Sales Consultant

Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at AT&T part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits if you're full time. The pay is actually pretty good for what the job entails. The biggest plus is the union (they do what they can to keep management honest). Being able to play with new technology on a consistent basis is always fun. The tuition reimbursement is very nice as well, but will most likely be harder to receive in the near future. The amount of paid time off is very generous. I'm a "part time retail sales consultant" and I've been with the company for 5+ years and I have almost 5 weeks of vacation.

Cons

Unfortunately there are more cons than pros; yes this is retail so it kinda comes with the territory. However this is a different type of retail, customers are completely different in a cell phone store than they are anywhere else (trust me on this).
    Biggest thing is the amount of things you must keep track of and do with every single customer every single time (hence the reason there is so much wait time in the store). Seems pretty illogical right? A commission based sales job with over 70% of what we do with a customer usually not being actual selling or making money aside from the hourly pay.
    Continual increasing and unobtainable goals Year over year, for example when I started on Average we had to sell approximately $2000 in accessories per month, now its on average $7,000 (small jump right). And since your commission is based on a percentage of you attaining those goals your pay can drastically vary.
    One of the worst things is the actual decline of the money you make, In the past 5 years I worked for the company I saw an average decrease of $4K-3K in commission every single year, and goals never went down only increased.
    I mentioned the tuition reimbursement and how I think its getting harder to obtain. The company would argue against that simply because now you can get reimbursement within 6 months of employment, and they cover tuition and fees. However what they don't advertise is the absolutely horrendous work/life balance. Management does not care what you have going on or about your life. Also within your first year do your best not to get sick because there are ZERO sick days. There are many more cons that I could come up with but eventually I would run out of space. There are a decent amount of things the company does right, however there is a tremendous amount of what they do wrong.

Overall a good company.

Current Employee - Prem Tech in Castro Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Prem Tech in Castro Valley, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cool coworkers. Work on your own most of the time, little meetings or paperwork. Interesting problems to troubleshoot and figure out.

Cons

Pay is very low for the Bay Area. Have a boss that shrilly threatens to fire all of us every morning.

Your pay won't keep good techs. Using numbers to manage people is no substitute for competent managers in the field that understand the work. All you get is people who manipulate the numbers in the end.

A roller coaster ride of development, change, excitement. To become "survival of the fittest" In the end ~ unappreciated

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

AT&T provided good benefits, tuition reimbursement and growth within the company. I learned many things while there.

Cons

Upper management poor judgement, unfair practices, no one to turn to, lost respect and desire, provided poor leadership and guidance towards the end. Never had our backs or supported 2nd level. Treated us as ponds in a game of win or lose.

We lost our jobs due to selling to unattainable goals. Some that did make the sales, did under false pretenses. Those that sold honest sales lost due to not meeting the goal. Please review the sales, not just at the bottom line. You let go of a lot of good honest individuals and held on those that gave you a bad name. Upper Management knew but looked the other way due to the perks at hand. You as a company encouraged integrity as your employees, but it was lost to the bottom line of End of Month, Year Goals and greed that grew in many.

AT&T Advertising & Publishing (Now YP)

Former Employee - Media Solutions Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Media Solutions Director in Austin, TX

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stability, Union Support, Acceptable pay for work required. Gosh how in the world can I write 20 words in this "Pro's" section?

Cons

Rigid corporate structure. Narrow-minded leadership. No interest in innovation. There could have been plenty of space for investing in employees and working to improve the product and service, but no interest was ever shown by leadership.

Work to retain "A" talent. Your employees are not cogs.

Great Company

I worked at AT&T

Pros

Location is good, close to town

Cons

sometimes difficult to get promoted

Discontent and Dissatisfied

Former Employee - Bilingual Relay Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Bilingual Relay Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at AT&T full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office culture revolved around the presence (or lack thereof) of the managers. It was always a better experience when allowed to work with our peers without supervision.

Cons

The workload and atmosphere proved to be obstructive and unappealing with no opportunity to advance in the company. The managers were always quick to dole out reprimands when myself or coworkers attempted to break the monotony between calls.

The managers should allow for more socialization in the office. Nothing too obstructive but certainly more than I experienced in my time there.

It wasrewarding.

Former Employee - Network Engineer
    Former Employee - Network Engineer

I worked at AT&T as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Got a chance to learn many tools.

Cons

Too many levels of management .

perfect

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Stability, work life balance, values

Cons

Bureaucratic, hierarchical, promotion, culture, middle managment