AT&T

Updated Jun 21, 2014

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson

Randall L. Stephenson

97 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great experience with some bumps in the road.

Computer Programmer (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsVery flexible work environment, and given freedom to do your job without constant supervision.

ConsHad to survive several downsizing, outsourcing, and off-shoring efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementI thought management was quite good, and would tell them to continue on the same path.

Area Manager

Area Manager (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsDepending on the organization; 1) you may have your leadership's support and gain exposure to upper management, 2) you may be awarded for superior results, and 3) your annual salary increase and bonus may be commensurate to your results.

ConsDepending on the organization; 1) leadership support is merely smoke & mirrors, 2) you won't be awarded for superior results, and 3) your annual salary increase is determined by your current salary and your peer's as your superior results are disregarded. Lastly.....remember the HR organization employees' checks are also signed by AT&T.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest, don't create hostile work environments, and look at yourself and how your employees respond to you. You just may be the problem.

Opportunity in so many areas as long as the individual is proactive and career-focused.

Supply Chain (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsProfessional deveopment, leadership, company product benefits, medical/dental benefits

Conswork-life balance and corporate culture

Advice to Senior Managementmore movement towards promoting work-life balance and modernizing corporate culture

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Time with AT&T was good. Hectic pace, but so are most IT positions for major corporations.

Senior Specialist-Application Production Support (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood work experiences. Good benefits, though they have degraded over the last decade.

ConsWhen I first began working for AT&T, the CEO was Ed Whitacre. Ed came up through the ranks of the company to become CEO. He appreciated his workforce and people worked hard for him. Morale was good.
    However, when Ed retired, Randall Stephenson took over as CEO. Randall is a business major and runs the company as such. People mean little to him. Getting an extra nickel for the stock holders is more important. With this goal in mind, every month hundreds of AT&T jobs are off-shored.
    Don't count on AT&T to appreciate you.

Advice to Senior ManagementRandall and company: when you expand into other countries, hire workers from that country to perform work there. When there is work to be done in this country, keep American workers. It's one thing to hire abroad when there isn't a good supply of trained workers at home, but entirely another to off-shore at the expense of American families. Stop off-shoring American jobs.

A great place where opportunities are endless

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe company plans for where the industry is heading and provides all the tools and resources to ensure its employees have the skills to meet the demand

ConsThe only thing I wish is that I would have taken more of my own lead in exploring all the numerous opportunities that are available via the company

Introduction to the corporate world.

Senior Reports Clerk (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsDecent money considering that the tasks were mindless. I can't think of any company that pays as much for little to no work.

ConsWork was monotonous, was on auto pilot, did not have to think - was not allowed to make independent decisions. I could feel myself dumbing down.

Process, Process, Process

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsAT&T is a conglomerate that you want to work for. They have very competitive salaries and the work environment is very relaxed yet perfessional. Although there are a lot of employees that probably could be let go and tend to just do enough to get by, AT&T also has some of the top talent in the industry and those individuals quickly rise to the top. AT&T is a process driven corporation and is built around service delivery in each department. There is little scope creep yet under guidance you are allowed to pursue special projects that can get you noticed for favorable treatment or escalation.

ConsThe cons are the same in all big business, there are a lot of individuals that do not have any desire to perform and there seemed to be little to be done by mid-management to motivate them or move them out. Also, some of the leadership could be a little presumptuous and there was little room for autonomy and innovation. Lastly, it can be very difficult to move from one organization to another due to HR politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementRoot out the dead weight, look for ways to breed innovation and facilitate movement within the organization.

Excellent place to work.

Senior Technical Architect (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat benefits. Good pay. Excellent work environment with opportunities for online education. High tech environment with a highly intelligent staff.

ConsLack of promotion opportunities. Sometimes hard to transfer to other jobs. Always in danger of being outsourced. May need to work on off-shifts.

The Good, Bad and Ugly

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsPay, Benefits, Vacation. Semi-flexible schedules allowed. Work from home, at least part-time, is becoming more common. Corporate motivational training sessions are great. Wireless leadership is excellent and they put $$ into implementing great ideas to improve customer service.

ConsToo many layers of Management result in "you're just a number". Functional type job training is not available due to no budgets for furthering your technical skills or change of job functions. Cuts in funding for everything except the few key corporate initiatives creates frustration and apathy if your dept or job function is not one of the key initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementBudgets must be available for technical training and advancement of skill sets training. This is critical to employee morale. With the pace of technology changes, those who have invested their time and skills in making our company great must be given the opportunity to change and grow with the company. Also, the huge disparity between the multi-millions paid the executives vs. the puny team awards and non-existent annual increases of the management workforce are extremely disheartening.

Great experience-I have been promoted several times in 9 years!

Human Resource Manager (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsSalary, benefits, stability, growth, promotions

ConsNone for me; work-life balance was an issue but that is my own fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to enter into an entry level job and learn about the company before you apply for promotions

Worked for AT&T? Contribute to the Community!

AT&T Videos

AT&T – Why Work for Us?

At AT&T, our passion to serve extends beyond our customers to our employees. Our people have helped to make us the No. 1 communications company in the world, and in return, we work hard to maintain our competitive… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AT&T reviews and ratings in Saint Louis, MO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AT&T CEO Randall L. Stephenson. All 97 reviews posted anonymously by AT&T employees.