AT&T Reviews

Reset
3.1
AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Pros
  • Good (but not great) pay and benefits (in 316 reviews)

• Good work life balance (varies by specific department) (in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • They also make it nearly impossible to have a good work/life balance (in 275 reviews)

• Upper management will pull the layoff trigger at any given moment (in 294 reviews)

1. SQA consultant

Former Employee - SQA Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - SQA Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AT&T (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is Good pay, many challenging jobs, lots of opportunities, good technology, nice people, smart people, open communication, you feel you are contributing

Cons

As an old school corporate behemoth, things can change slowly, many old school values are held near and dear. Often times change only comes after disaster strikes.

Advice to Management

It would behoove this company and the management team to listen more to the employees and not to punish those who bring suggestions and criticisms forward .

2. Pay is the only good thing at this company

Current Employee - UVerse Premise Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - UVerse Premise Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Pay, pay, and pay. Yep the pay is pretty much the only pro to working at AT&T.

Cons

As a premise technician the only person who has the slightest clue as to what's involved in doing your job is your first line manager. That's only because at some point he has done it, but usually it was far enough in the past that even he doesn't fully get it. You will be treated like crap but don't feel too bad because your manager is treated worse than you. They will continually add things to your job expectations but never give you any extra time to do them. Every thing, and I mean EVERYTHING is tracked at AT&T, so if you like feeling like there's a red hot poker up your rear end all day then by all means apply. It's as if upper management sits around each day and intentionally decides to screw with the peons. You will be micro managed into the ground because the company has ZERO trust of it's employees. But the best part of the job is it's always your fault. The company will never own anything, and will make you look like an idiot in front of the customer. Most people who hire on as Premise Technicians want to transfer once they have their time in. A lot of them go for management because every other job opening goes by Union seniority. Lately its the weaselly brown noser and system gamers that become mangers which makes the job suck even more.

Advice to Management

Correct the unrealistic metric system and stop micro managing. Probably wouldn't hurt to know what's involved in doing a job before you make rules and procedures applying to it. Actually read the results from the NPS.

3. interview

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AT&T

Pros

Consistent fast thorough gave me all the questions prior to interview

Cons

Questions were a little difficult, think I may have over explained

5. Don't Drink The Kool Aid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AT&T (More than 10 years)

Pros

At the present time, nothing really comes to mind.

Cons

I was recently dismayed to read about AT&T being fined $100M for misleading cellular customers about its “unlimited” data plan. Dismayed, but not surprised. AT&T is slowly submerging into a morass of Ethical Fading, defined here as an erosion of the ethical standards of a business in which employees become used to engaging in or condoning such behavior. There’s also an aspect of self-deception involved, where the erosion is so gradual that insiders are almost unaware of it until something happens to “break the spell”. I’m sure AT&T will fight it, because I think that people at AT&T believe themselves to be ethical. They bristle at statements that even imply that they are not. And yet, my experience there was that AT&T has crossed the line in several areas… beyond the point of ethics and into the realm of breaking the law. Here are two things I saw personally. 1. Work was charged to Capital, instead of Expense because the budget had Cap, but not Expense in it. Unfortunately, this causes a misstatement of your company’s financials and is a Sarbanes Oxley violation. 2. Forcing contractors and non-exempt employees to work overtime without compensation. Whenever I used to read Dilbert comic strips, I used to laugh. Then I noticed that if I read more than a few of them, I would start to get angry and frustrated, because the truth that I was forced to live every day stranger than the fiction of the comic strip. I left AT&T and felt a weight lift from my shoulders. If you are thinking of going there to work for them, keep in mind that their reality is not the same as the reality here in the outside world. You might be told that your career path is “unlimited”, only to find out that the definition of unlimited at AT&T means you are wearing an orange jump suit for an unlimited amount of time.

Advice to Management

Things are so broken at AT&T. Need to get your heads out of the Workplace 2020 sand and deal with the torpedoes coming in below your waterline.

6. Great sales beginning

Current Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AT&T (More than a year)

Pros

Uncapped commission and a great way to learn the retail sales process.

Cons

The retail beast is not for everyone.

7. AT&T Premise technician

Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a good stepping stone. I made a lot of money while I was there. And I probably wouldn't have the job I have now if it wasn't for at&t.

Cons

They strictly adhere to some set of numbers they believe everyone should be able to make all the time. They wrote me up for missing my efficiency number it was supposed to be 100% efficiency but I got 99.7%. They said you know what the objective is. The objective was not always obtainable. If you got a house where you had an issue or a hard install. They simply didn't care. You had to get it done in the time allotted. Which meant you had to cut corners and do a poor job. Or do a good job and possibly get fired. They would have all these procedures they wanted you to follow and if you actually followed that you could never make your numbers. There was that. And it was a highly difficult and physical job. They would expect you to work in 100% heat without any loss in speed. Work in the rain snow sleet and hail. The employees they have work very hard. And get little recognition. As a company they couldn't care less about you. You were just a number. And how you did as an employee was just s number. The stress level was very very high. There were always threats about getting fired. They were always walking someone out the door to be let go. It was an insane scary place to work. I don't miss that place at all. If I needed work that would be the last place I would ever think to go back to. If you get a job here don't buy anything expensive because there is no perception of job security here. There is no life work balance here. You will be expected to work long overtime hours.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. You guys have such a high turnover rate. If you kept more of your good technicians you would only have better customer service.

8. Horrible company in a horrible industry!!

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AT&T (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits but nothing else

Cons

Company treats its minority employees unfairly and illegally

9. RF Engineer IV

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's stable work with a stable paycheck. You can count on getting the same pay and bonus no matter what you do.

Cons

There is no flexibility or room for creativity. Benefits are below average and declining yearly when compared with the other major telecom companies. It's a very impersonal place to work. There is little real focus on talent development and retention. The only training you get is mandated by corporate, not what you would like to develop and grow into. Unless you personally know someone in the hiring dept for a new position or promotion you get thrown into the automated HR system. You'll never be contacted by an actual person.

Advice to Management

Read the employee opinion surveys and make a plan to act on them to grow and retain your talent. I didn't need to have my review read back to me by my manager with an explanation on why nothing was going to change, I submitted concerns because I wanted them looked into and fixed.

Retail sales

Former Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AT&T (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits. That's about it

Cons

Company cares very little about their customers and even less about their employees. Worked 10-12 hour days. Rarely got a break , 30 minute lunch that was usually within the last couple hours of my shift.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing. I'd love to watch you go bankrupt!

Not what you would expect

Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Eureka, MO
    Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Eureka, MO

I worked at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the customers were fun, some of the employees were great, the pay could be decent, #1 rated cell phone provider

Cons

I worked with a brotherhood of bullies in my store, lazy coworkers, training in the store was horrendous, the guys working there would hit on female patrons and try to get their phone numbers

Advice to Management

Get better management in this store, break up the brotherhood of bullies in the store, listen to your employees who bring legitimate concerns to your attention

Showing 130 of 8,320 reviews