AT&T Reviews

Reset
3.1
AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Pros
  • Good (but not great) pay and benefits (in 316 reviews)

• Good work life balance (varies by specific department) (in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • They also make it nearly impossible to have a good work/life balance (in 275 reviews)

• Upper management will pull the layoff trigger at any given moment (in 294 reviews)

1. Great company poor first level managers

Former Employee - Cst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Cst in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Great company. good pay and benefits

Cons

Some of first level management spend too much time head hunting with the intent to destroy minorities careers.

2. Tough gig

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Good benefits and sometimes good commission

Cons

Crazy hours, managers don't back you up, too much to offer customers or you get written up!

3. Out of state mostly not worth the pay even as union job

Former Employee - Prem Tech in Maplewood, MO
    Former Employee - Prem Tech in Maplewood, MO

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of hours allows room for self supervision constant change of scenery

Cons

No declining overtime til 60 hours a week out of state every couple months

Advice to Management

Relax

5. rsc

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AT&T (Less than a year)

Pros

att is a great place to work with great benefits

Cons

long hours and very stressful when it comes to meeting your goals

Rsc

Former Employee - RSC in Fairview Heights, IL
    Former Employee - RSC in Fairview Heights, IL

I worked at AT&T part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was good free cell phone with free company phone service.

Cons

Schedule work weekends,day,nights work life balance sucks. They have tuition reimbursement but are not flexible with schedule, micro-manage lots of turnover

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees management can't be efficient from the back room writing people up by watching your monitor from the back office.

7. Pay is the only good thing at this company

Current Employee - UVerse Premise Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - UVerse Premise Technician in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Pay, pay, and pay. Yep the pay is pretty much the only pro to working at AT&T.

Cons

As a premise technician the only person who has the slightest clue as to what's involved in doing your job is your first line manager. That's only because at some point he has done it, but usually it was far enough in the past that even he doesn't fully get it. You will be treated like crap but don't feel too bad because your manager is treated worse than you. They will continually add things to your job expectations but never give you any extra time to do them. Every thing, and I mean EVERYTHING is tracked at AT&T, so if you like feeling like there's a red hot poker up your rear end all day then by all means apply. It's as if upper management sits around each day and intentionally decides to screw with the peons. You will be micro managed into the ground because the company has ZERO trust of it's employees. But the best part of the job is it's always your fault. The company will never own anything, and will make you look like an idiot in front of the customer. Most people who hire on as Premise Technicians want to transfer once they have their time in. A lot of them go for management because every other job opening goes by Union seniority. Lately its the weaselly brown noser and system gamers that become mangers which makes the job suck even more.

Advice to Management

Correct the unrealistic metric system and stop micro managing. Probably wouldn't hurt to know what's involved in doing a job before you make rules and procedures applying to it. Actually read the results from the NPS.

8. SQA consultant

Former Employee - SQA Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - SQA Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AT&T (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is Good pay, many challenging jobs, lots of opportunities, good technology, nice people, smart people, open communication, you feel you are contributing

Cons

As an old school corporate behemoth, things can change slowly, many old school values are held near and dear. Often times change only comes after disaster strikes.

Advice to Management

It would behoove this company and the management team to listen more to the employees and not to punish those who bring suggestions and criticisms forward .

9. interview

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Consistent fast thorough gave me all the questions prior to interview

Cons

Questions were a little difficult, think I may have over explained

Cheap Company

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AT&T (More than 8 years)

Pros

co-workers, union representation, nothing else

Cons

lacks diversity, low pay, long hours, no family life

Advice to Management

treat employees like humans

11. Don't Drink The Kool Aid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AT&T (More than 10 years)

Pros

At the present time, nothing really comes to mind.

Cons

I was recently dismayed to read about AT&T being fined $100M for misleading cellular customers about its “unlimited” data plan. Dismayed, but not surprised. AT&T is slowly submerging into a morass of Ethical Fading, defined here as an erosion of the ethical standards of a business in which employees become used to engaging in or condoning such behavior. There’s also an aspect of self-deception involved, where the erosion is so gradual that insiders are almost unaware of it until something happens to “break the spell”. I’m sure AT&T will fight it, because I think that people at AT&T believe themselves to be ethical. They bristle at statements that even imply that they are not. And yet, my experience there was that AT&T has crossed the line in several areas… beyond the point of ethics and into the realm of breaking the law. Here are two things I saw personally. 1. Work was charged to Capital, instead of Expense because the budget had Cap, but not Expense in it. Unfortunately, this causes a misstatement of your company’s financials and is a Sarbanes Oxley violation. 2. Forcing contractors and non-exempt employees to work overtime without compensation. Whenever I used to read Dilbert comic strips, I used to laugh. Then I noticed that if I read more than a few of them, I would start to get angry and frustrated, because the truth that I was forced to live every day stranger than the fiction of the comic strip. I left AT&T and felt a weight lift from my shoulders. If you are thinking of going there to work for them, keep in mind that their reality is not the same as the reality here in the outside world. You might be told that your career path is “unlimited”, only to find out that the definition of unlimited at AT&T means you are wearing an orange jump suit for an unlimited amount of time.

Advice to Management

Things are so broken at AT&T. Need to get your heads out of the Workplace 2020 sand and deal with the torpedoes coming in below your waterline.

Showing 136 of 8,848 reviews