AT&T

5,838 Reviews

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
2,715 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are pretty impressive for the amount of work that's required (in 294 reviews)

• Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time (in 152 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is the biggest struggle because of the long retail hours (in 251 reviews)

• Upper management will throw store management under the bus to look good to RSC's (in 281 reviews)

More Highlights

111 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Always preparing for the future

Current Employee - Senior SPECIALIST-NETWORK SUPPORT in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior SPECIALIST-NETWORK SUPPORT in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

AT&T provides multiple avenues for personal growth to keep you prepared for technological changes

Cons

As soon as you master something new, there are always more things to learn and master

Great company, just stay focused!

Current Employee - SSR in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - SSR in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AT&T as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great company, choose schedule, excellent benefits, opportunities to move up in the company

Cons

Hours can be long sometimes, pay can be challenging if you are working two positions in one.

Respect your team. Listen to your team and be more professional. Do not discuss everyone's business with non management. Do not plot one against the other. Lead by example. Help others without expecting things in return. Learn to accept a persons assets to the team. Be a leader vs managing. Take charge of your team instead of your team taking charge of you. Do not allow other mgmt and staff to harass individuals because they feel deprived of knowledge that was a rightful choice that they neglected to accept.

Constantly changing...including pay structure, goals, benefits, incentives and personnel.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation for the task at hand as well as benefits and sometimes hours. AT&T clearly listens to the share holders and will focus on the trends that is going to drive revenue for the current quarter you're in. A lot of programs to enroll into and get extra training to improve skillset.

Cons

Too much change and the hypocrisy that is big business. Seems like there is a lot of things that go on behind close doors that isn't fully and accurately communicated to the individual discussed about.

Stand behind your people. Especially the high performers. For a lot of the company values and lessons learned over my time with the company, there was a lot that they didn't follow through with themselves.

Cripples you mentally

Current Employee - Premises Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Premises Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing is the pay and the benefits.

Cons

The pay keeps me working but thats about it. Working here has completely disabled my social life and family time. There is ZERO work life balance. You are micro-managed SO much that it makes you paranoid. Their metrics are unachievable and everyone is constantly on a "performance notice" so you are in constant fear of losing your job. You have MANDATORY overtime, you get an email when you can go home. You will work 12 and 13 hour days 2-3 times a week. And a minimum of 10 hours every day. If you want to make good money take a job here and say goodbye to your friends, family and your happiness. If it gives you any idea, they offered a 300 dollar bonus to sign people up for one of their sales jobs. I wouldnt take 300 dollars to give this job to my worst enemy.

Nothing, nothing will fix it. On day one of training my trainer said, if you don't like your job there's 1000 people at the gate waiting for it. At&t will always run on this pretense and never keep good employees, it's too big for anything to be fixed.

Losing 10k each year while selling more than ever before!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are declining but better than some out there, sure beats obamacare!

Cons

Sales commission changes every 3-6 months, making it harder to hit goals and completely impossible in most markets to tier out and actually make good money. You will have a 10k-20k decline every year until it is the same workers as McDonalds or Burger King. Health care is still better than most but is rising quickly in cost each month with less benefits. Constant harassment from managers. Company policies popping up blatantly to get rid of the loyal, hardworking senior employees that make top end hourly rate to hire in new much lower paid workers. There has always been a high turnover rate with this company but all of the dedicated and motivated people have stayed, tried and true. This means nothing, we have made the company one of the most powerful and now the dog has turned on us to bite. It's very sad and disheartening

Take care of your team, the ones that run ragged day and night to make this company successful! Your policies and procedures do nothing for you, we do!
    If you choose to continue on this path of destruction, you will have removed everyone that is valuable and at that point everything will fail and that step climb we did for all of those years to the top, will drop straight down on its face. All of the years of hardwork, skipped vacations, 60+ work weeks for nothing! just to see it all be washed away by people that do not understand how everything in this company has worked and grown for so many years.
    Open up your eyes, before it's too late

Good to start off, but as you get adjusted you think about what you have gotten yourself into.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Earth City, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Earth City, MO

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay with decent benefits also. Will allow you to work all of the hours you can handle.

Cons

Manadatory OT for multiple months provides no work life balance at all. Be aware of managers that tell you to do things that you know are not right, as they will be against you if issues arise.

Be honest with the employees. Just because your numbers are not meeting what the hire ups are looking for doesn't mean that you take the easy way out by having employees break the rules.

Great experience with some bumps in the road.

Former Employee - Computer Programmer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Computer Programmer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible work environment, and given freedom to do your job without constant supervision.

Cons

Had to survive several downsizing, outsourcing, and off-shoring efforts.

I thought management was quite good, and would tell them to continue on the same path.

Opportunity in so many areas as long as the individual is proactive and career-focused.

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professional deveopment, leadership, company product benefits, medical/dental benefits

Cons

work-life balance and corporate culture

more movement towards promoting work-life balance and modernizing corporate culture

Time with AT&T was good. Hectic pace, but so are most IT positions for major corporations.

Former Employee - Senior Specialist-Application Production Support in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work experiences. Good benefits, though they have degraded over the last decade.

Cons

When I first began working for AT&T, the CEO was Ed Whitacre. Ed came up through the ranks of the company to become CEO. He appreciated his workforce and people worked hard for him. Morale was good.
    However, when Ed retired, Randall Stephenson took over as CEO. Randall is a business major and runs the company as such. People mean little to him. Getting an extra nickel for the stock holders is more important. With this goal in mind, every month hundreds of AT&T jobs are off-shored.
    Don't count on AT&T to appreciate you.

Randall and company: when you expand into other countries, hire workers from that country to perform work there. When there is work to be done in this country, keep American workers. It's one thing to hire abroad when there isn't a good supply of trained workers at home, but entirely another to off-shore at the expense of American families. Stop off-shoring American jobs.

A great place where opportunities are endless

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company plans for where the industry is heading and provides all the tools and resources to ensure its employees have the skills to meet the demand

Cons

The only thing I wish is that I would have taken more of my own lead in exploring all the numerous opportunities that are available via the company