ATA Retail Reviews

CEO

1. Great Job

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Memphis, TN

I have been working at ATA Retail part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Make your own schedule, no one telling you when to go to work, etc. Work alone, very little interaction with the store. You can do your job without having to get store's permission, etc. Management & Customer Service great to work with, they are responsive to all calls & emails. No issues when going over on allotted service time, just have to get a supervisor's approval for payroll.

Cons

A little low on pay rate compared to other merchandising jobs.

Compensate merchandisers for length of time working for the company.
    Stop sending merchandise (distributions) that we don't specifically order. We are excited to see new items and will order them as space becomes available.
    Warehouse has gotten a little sloppy in packing orders - please go back & implement packing procedures used 2 years ago.

2. Flexible, Fun Part-time Job

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ATA Retail part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Able to set your own hours (early morning). Excellent training program. Easy-to-follow program guidelines and store mapping.

Cons

Hard to meet target time and increase sales. Corporate is unrealistic at times. Store personnel can be unwelcoming (if stressed).

Product pricing is too high for consumers. Product needs to be updated and/or returned quicker.

3. Run, do not walk from this company!

Current Employee - P/T Merchandiser in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - P/T Merchandiser in Austin, TX

I have been working at ATA Retail part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job was flexible enough but not worth it after you subtract the gas and taxes.

Cons

Where do I begin? They have this ridiculous "target time' which is basically the hour/hours you are pad for although the job takes longer than the "target time". The supervisors don't know much. They are just merchandisers who get promoted by default. My supervisor never has any answers for me. She says,"I'm as confused as you are!" Ah, yes, this is one smart cookie they promoted. The stores are constantly removing the clip strips and throwing them in the back rooms. They expect you to rehang them even though no time is allowed for this. The items are junk. Pure and simple. And it is all overpriced. You can get all this stuff cheaper at Dollar Stores, Target or IKEA.

Travel to some of these Randalls stores and see what's going on! Check on your Managers because they aren't as bright as you think. Pay people what they actually worked! You're basically stealing money from the people on the bottom of the totem pole. How proud you all must be! I'm not going to stick around. As soon as something else comes up, I'm outta here!!!

5. Unrealistic target time

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ATA Retail part-time (less than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule - they say that you can work but it really isn't that flexible as it has to be Mon-Fri and eearly mornings when grocery store receivers are at work

Cons

So much to do, not enough time allotted. Many minutes/hours outside of the putting up stock in the store are required to complete job and they don't acknowledge anything store time making it so you have to have supervisor and manager approval constantly and they make it sound like they could do it so much quicker. Also, you only get a few hours a week.

Acknowledge all the background tasks required to do the job and allow employees to submit their time accordingly.

6. Don't Waste Your Time in Crazy Town

Former Employee - Impulse Sales Merchandiser in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Impulse Sales Merchandiser in Columbus, OH

I worked at ATA Retail

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedule. My immediate supervisor was professional, but then she quit.

Cons

Inconsistent training. Negative attitude from higher-ups. Not worth the small amount of money versus the distance to get to some stores. Often times, the drive time is longer than the store visit.

Start training your employees, get schedules organized, place some value on the people who work for you.

7. I worked part time as a store merchandiser

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser

I worked at ATA Retail part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, job is easy to learn. I was allowed to set my own schedule of when stores would be serviced.

Cons

Time limitations are not always reasonable. Time allowed is based on pieces ordered, not square footage of the store you have to navigate to put up product.

Boo

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at ATA Retail part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You can kind of make your own hours. You work alone. No drug test. They will hire anyone. Piercings allowed.

Cons

Waiting around for reciever, sometimes have to try again the next day because the reciever went home without checking your order in. Supervisor gives contradicting instructions- contradicts policy and herself. Company overloads you during the holidays even if you don't have enough time in your available schedule to do the extra tasks. Stores frequently move your clipstrips or throw them out. You also aren't allowed to work ANY holidays that would be normally a paid holiday, so they make you switch your schedule around with only 1 weeks notice. Mandatory meetings (no paid mileage!) at another store that could be covered (and actually were) in an email or conference call. No lunch break during training (illegal!!!) The supervisor told me it was super hard to get the job and wasn't used to interviewing because there was never any openings- then during training the reciever rattled off a loooong list of people before me that only lasted a few months! I was actually instructed to over order and the stores hate me for it, but have gotten in trouble for not doing it. Supervisor was rude, impatient, also sends emails that don't contain a question and gets upset when I failed to reply. Warehouse constantly makes mistakes and actually called me at night because I kept reporting mistakes and she "couldn't believe" that it was their mistakes because they triple check orders. Stores treat you like dirt. Products come in broken, but you are hassled when you ask permission to give credits. Warehouse pushes out way too much product and you are only allowed a certain amount of strips in each isle, so you have to credit out old stuff, which gets you hassled as well. You are expected to tape up product, even if it's a beauty product (health hazard). Supervisor has made unethical statements to myself and others. No raises. They say mileage is worked into the hourly pay, but you don't get payed to drive to stores multiple times because they don't have your order checked in. No breaks worked into target time (illegal?) Almost daily emails and other at home work that you don't get payed for.

Stop forcing out distribution items! Update your systems. Be in touch with your merchandisers. Make sure your supervisors are actually going by policy. (My supervisor is notorious for over ordering and instructs us to do the same calling it "missed sales" if we don't. So we either get chewed out by HER for not following HER order, or get in trouble by the higher ups for actually doing as we are told!!) And make sure they know what "sales" means! A blind survey of supervisors might be nice, with a comments section. Pay mileage. Give yearly raises. Let people wear jeans! (Piercings are allowed, but no jeans?!)

9. Almost 5 years, at a dead end. Sales job disguised as merchandising.

Current Employee - Territory Supervisor in Bridgeport, CT
    Current Employee - Territory Supervisor in Bridgeport, CT

I have been working at ATA Retail part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, non-monotonous, merchandising position is not bad for supplemental income as long as you only have a few stores that are not busy

Cons

ATA looks at sales based on what you order and bring into the stores, not what actually sells at the stores. Does not value hard working employees. High expectations, no rewards. Too many responsibilities for a low wage. Pays state of CA mileage no matter which state you work in.

Listen to what your hard working, dedicated and loyal employees have to say. Maybe add some full time positions for those in busy areas who do the job exceedingly well. Try compensating those who deserve it, instead of everyone. Think ahead for sales, instead of learning from bottom tier employees. Come up with a better training program for new hires. You would have more sales if you hired salespeople instead of merchandisers.

10. A wonderful side job within the city

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ATA Retail part-time (less than a year)

Pros

no weekend, or late evening, decent pay

Cons

less than 20 hours depend on how large or small store. order place

I would upper management or corp to offer more hours to employee who's show imitative.

11. The hiring process is a disaster

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Olympia, WA

I have been working at ATA Retail part-time (less than a year)

Pros

pay rate is good for actual work in stoer

Cons

disjointed and communication between employees is fragmented

Treat your new hires with more respect