ATA Retail Reviews

CEO

1. Independent Work

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Raleigh, NC

I worked at ATA Retail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got to work when I wanted within in accepted time, worked early morning to have rest of day open

Cons

Wanted more stores, too little work

Advice to Management

give merchandisers more work so they want to stay

I like my job

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Central, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Central, CA

I have been working at ATA Retail (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, fun, never boring...get to meet and make new friends.My supervisor is great, she goes over and beyond her "paid" duties to help any of her team and stores get the job done thru any problem. She has been a great example and trainer and team mate!

Cons

They word of the day is DISTRIBUTIONS!!!!!!!! They do not always raise sales! We are not fairly compensated for the amount of time we have to spend in a store to do the job properly. Target Times are NOT reasonable. If all we had to do was put out the order, maybe , but there is so much more to do to make a store look good. I have had to shake my head in shame and embarrassment and leave a store looking not very good because I am out of time and they poo poo over service time.

Advice to Management

Talk to the merchandisers and supervisors at store level and find out what they have to say. Many of us want to be proud of our company and our work, praise where praise is due. A raise occasionally is nice.

3. A very nice family owned nationwide company

Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Santa Rosa, CA

Pros

Flexible schedule!!!! I have worked for this company for many years now, and it's one of the best I have ever worked for! The upper management will bend over backwards to help and accommodate you in your job and also personally. If you do your job, are honest, dependable and loyal, there should be no problems to speak of. Most of these reviews I've read are either lies or sour grapes from past employees who do not have a good work ethic!!

Cons

It would be nice to have paid holidays & vacations. New Hires should be drug tested. There should be higher standards to apply for the position.

Advice to Management

Supervisors should be salaried and given benefits as any other management position within ATA Retail Services! (Or at least Supervisors without routes)

5. Merchandiser Supervisor

Pros

Flexible hours to fit your schedule

Cons

As a supervisor you are only a part-time employee but expected to pick up any slack if another merchandiser quits or cannot service their stores

Advice to Management

Pay a higher hourly wage to all merchandisers and supervisors. Give perks to supervisors. Pay admin time for emails and order/time entry.

6. Supervisor

Pros

Flexible Hours to fit your schedule

Cons

Low pay. No admin pay for time and order entries from home.

Merchandiser

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Flexible hours only if the store's receiver is good about checking in your orders before you get there. Luckily, my 3 stores were pretty good but there were times I would come in to find the order was there but not checked in necessitating a return trip. You are not paid for the first visit because you are only paid if you put out the order and you cannot do that if the receiver hasn't checked it in, so I always tried to be there when the receiver would accept orders (usually 6 a.m.-11 a.m, Monday-Friday.). The employees who manned the phones at Customer Service office were very helpful and friendly.

Cons

ATA management sets unreasonable "target" times for putting out the order (the only time they want to pay you for). This "target" time is supposed to include the time to put out the order, enter the next order on their website when you get home, process returns, packing them up and getting them to the carrier (Fed Ex, etc.). If you cannot complete the work in the allotted "target" time, you had to call your supervisor and beg for approval for more time. My supervisor was very impatient, rude and condescending. I finally had to quit after I found "donating" many hours to ATA Retail because I was too embarrassed to call her to ask for approval to finish every store. I worked many more unpaid hours than I was paid for. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Maybe that is ATA's goal--free labor. The merchandiser has no control over what is shipped to the store but is held fully accountable for items that don't fit or cannot be sold The warehouse was not careful to pack the shipment in a way to expedite working the order in the store. At times, I felt that they had to work harder to pack it so it would be even more difficult for me. Call me paranoid but I do think they got a big chuckle out of "really getting to" the merchandiser because it was so obviously done.

Advice to Management

Recognize that if you want the job done right, it will take longer than what you are estimating. Make sure the warehouse packs the shipment in the way that will expedite sorting it in the store. By making returns so difficult for the merchandiser, you are not only punishing your front-line employee but also the store, your precious customer. ATA's products and policies are already unpopular and doing this just makes them have to look at your products taking up so much of their limited warehouse space long because it can take weeks to get authorization to return it. Definitely not a way to gain favor for your company.

8. Merchandiser

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

No Weekends, No Evenings, Fixed Schedule!

Cons

Part Time Only, Absolutely No Benefits, Minimum Wage Only, Good Sales doesn't mean better income, target time is always lower than what it takes to do a good job unless you run through the store to do the job.

Advice to Management

A positive way to motivate and reward merchandisers would go long way to making ATA a better company. Since they pay won't do it, think out side of the box and find a way!

9. Highly unethical bordering on illegal

Current Employee - Part-time Retail Sales Merchandiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Part-time Retail Sales Merchandiser in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ATA Retail part-time

Pros

Easy to get hired. Will hire anyone. Schedule is not as flexible as they tell you. There are certain days you have to work.

Cons

Company puts too much responsibility on you for so little pay. Also, you will be told different things by each supervisor, each manager and then the employee reference manual is still different. Abusive supervisors and upper level management like to use fear tactics to coerce you to do things that you would not have otherwise. It's basically a sales job disguised as merchandising.

Advice to Management

Eventually the law will catch up to you.

10. Okay, but very part-time, nice people but there are some issues

Former Employee - Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Merchandiser

I worked at ATA Retail part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty much left alone to do your job, flexible hours

Cons

Supervisors sometimes contradict company policy, not enough pay for the amount of responsibility placed on the merchandiser; cheap products that I wasn't proud to merchandise.

Advice to Management

Increase salary, give bonuses based on performance instead of the drawings, increase the quality of the products.

11. Merchandiset

Pros

Very flexible job good if you have kids

Cons

People take advantage not doing their work stores look terrible.

RSS Feed </> Embed