ATB Financial Reviews

257 reviews filtered by
4.2
ATB Financial President & CEO Dave Mowat
Dave Mowat

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance with a results oriented work environment being rolled out (in 49 reviews)

• The ability for most of the positions to work from home is why I applied to work here (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Given work loads or tasks related to projects/changes work life balance can be a struggle (in 9 reviews)

• Work from home can be a challenge for everyone (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

ATB is THE place to work.

Current Employee - Project Coordinator, Talent Development in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Great people in all areas of the organization
    - Culture is Contagios; Value honesty, integrity, being innovative & engaging
    - Work-life balance is a priority; they truly care about their employees
    - Endless career opportunities & opportunity for professional/personal development
    - Amazing leaders who think 'outside the box'

Cons

- Systems are often difficult to use - but they are working on this every day & provide exceptional support and assistance where needed.

Keep doing what you're doing - ATB is going in the right direction and gaining momentum to truly revolutionize how banking is done.

ATB Financial Response

Dec 3, 2014Talent Specialist

It is such a pleasure to see how team members describe the culture at ATB. Thank you for taking the time to write this excellent review and reinforcing the direction we’re headed. We also appreciate ... More

2. Can't complain!

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time

Pros

Work life balance, consistency, security

Cons

Lack of innovation, as with most massive banks

Continue moving the needle, hire innovators and take risks

3. Data computation

I have been working at ATB Financial

Pros

Nice enough staff. Okay place to focus. Not so busy. It was a non branch though, so that's expecte.

Cons

Not a great structure.
    Poor communication between the manager and summer students.
    No real means of asking for clarification.
    My belief is that the direction and goals of management are not known to other levels. It's a bank.
    Not my type of work. I'm an innovator. So this review may not apply to your exp.

5. Excellent company with opportunity for advancement.

I have been working at ATB Financial

Pros

ATB offers a full range of health and wellness benefits along with one the best management pension plans in the industry. Very good leaders who care about their people and are willing to help you become successful.

Cons

The best part of the job is helping customers with their needs, however we are bogged down with administration duties that cut into our time. If some of those admin duties were reduced we could contact more clients and help them with their needs.

Continue on the path you have started with the ATB Story as it will set us apart from other Financial Institutions.

6. ATB was a great company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at ATB Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexibie work environment, management very supportive and receptive, executive team is accessible and approachable

Cons

Pay could be more competitive and better training

7. ATBF is a very good organization to work for.

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at ATB Financial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good executive team that's very forward thinking
    Very good benefit program
    Sales roles can make excellent bonuses
    Very flexible work schedule and ability to work from home
    Allowing and empowering employees to address and fix issues/concerns that they have

Cons

At times individuals , with less experience or skills, are favored and given opportunities over others due to who they know.
    Execs don't admit to their mistakes (cough, cough, CORE banking system, cough cough)
    At times the Credit/Risk dept is way too conservative and tight

Empower your employees more!! The always find solutions when challenged to do so
    Hire the person that's been the most loyal and has the best skills, not the ones that you favor
    Execs, admit when you're wrong. You, and all of the staff, knew CORE wasn't the program to go with but you could' have at least fessed up and said "you know what, we were wrong, the system isn't as good as we thought it would be, and we're sorry", rather than just staying the course like nothing was wrong. Also, don't EVER use SAP again!!!

IT Professional

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working hour and work/life balance

Cons

So so pay. IT process is heavy and very inefficient. Direct management could be better. Career path is just a buzz word in here and there is absolutely NO action from the manager(s), they care about your work at daily basis but NOT your career path.

Running out of steam for higher gear

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits package is great. I don't work overtime.

Cons

ATB constantly seems to be rebranding - I can think of five-six major initiatives in the last four years. It gets tiring. I don't even understand the latest one. Leadership in my office doesn't seem to understand it either, as they can't translate to to our day-to-day work.

Where I work, my workload keeps increasing due to attrition which management is slow to react to. I frequently feel stressed out and I don't feel adequately supported. There are severe communication issues. Massive cutbacks make my other options slim to nonexistent. I'm only sticking around for pension at this point.

Put together a five year plan and actually see it through five years. Invest in training and the infrastructure required to execute your goals.

ATB Financial Response

Mar 19, 2015Talent Specialist

Thanks for the feedback. ATB is a very busy place and there have been lots of changes – that’s likely true for most organizations in Alberta. But we have a clear strategy in place and we’ll be ... More

10. Working at ATB

I worked at ATB Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, people are nice

Cons

Sr. Leadership team unwilling to change and accept new ideas. Difficult to get promoted. Lack of accountability for results

Get rid of dead weight

11. Biggest Mistake Of My Life.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at ATB Financial

Pros

- Coworkers were great to work with and offered me lots of help when I needed it.

Cons

- Pay is too low ($16.30/hr). Especially considering that I have a Commerce degree and this is a bank we are talking about.
    - Terrible training. When I first started I was in training for two weeks which consisted of me sitting by myself on a computer and doing online courses which ultimately did not teach me anything that related to my position. Most of what I learned was on the job through trial and error, a tonne of mistakes, and my coworkers helping me.
    - The assistant manager was extremely passive aggressive. She would regularly call me in to meetings in her office and berate me for things that no one had shown me how to do properly before rather than try to actually teach me the proper way to do it. I was also told by her that I had "burned bridges" and ruined future career opportunities for myself because I missed a meeting, although I sent an email before the meeting stating that I was unable to attend and my reason.
    - There is so much talk about "building relationships with customers" but in the end they don't really care about relationships as long as you are meeting your leads targets and selling lots of financial products to customers. This makes the job extremely stressful because you have so many other tasks to do and on top of that you need to sell, sell, sell to anyone and anything that walks into the bank.

- Increase pay
    - Offer more practical training
    - Weed out the terrible branch managers and assistant branch managers since they have the power to make or break a branch.