ATB Financial

Updated September 18, 2014
4.2

ATB Financial President & CEO Dave Mowat
Dave Mowat

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance with a results oriented work environment being rolled out (in 43 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home or work remotely from any where i (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Given work loads or tasks related to projects/changes work life balance can be a struggle (in 9 reviews)

• The values they talk about are not demonstrated and senior management are not held accountable (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Can't complain!

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time

Pros

Work life balance, consistency, security

Cons

Lack of innovation, as with most massive banks

Continue moving the needle, hire innovators and take risks

3 years in Human Resources support several different lines of business.

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture is amazing-results based environment where its about what you do not where you do it. I have the freedom to schedule my time and I work with an amazing group of people that genuinely invest in my development and care about the success of our customers and employees.

Cons

Promotions within Human Resources - specifically clear expectations at each level to determine your gaps and work towards achieving promotions to other roles...
    Human Resources has a few too many initiatives to move forward all at once - would like to see a more focused and long term approach rather than trying to accomplish everything in a short period of time - of course this impacts the quality and effectiveness of the iniatives and therefore impacts engagement and the reputation of the People and Culture team.

Move forward more quickly on committments made to those within People and Culture and stay more focused on a few large initiatives each year rather than trying to "boil the ocean".....

Mini RBC. High sales pressure.

Former Employee - Relationship Manager  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at ATB Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive salary, decent benefits provincially backed.

Cons

Poor training, limiited opportunites untrustworthy at times.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Applications Analyst  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at ATB Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits package and educational incentives

Cons

Offices and cubicles were fairly small and there isn't a lot of room to move around. Essentially not spacious enough.

Tons of new graduates are entering the market these days and it would be good to change things up to attract some of the younger talent. For example, offering to work from home 2x week .. OR change up working environment like office space etc.

Aug 22, 2014Talent Specialist

Thank you for your comments! We are very happy to announce that “Workplace 2.0” is becoming adopted more heavily at ATB, meaning that what matters most is results. With the help of advanced ... More

New Employee

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATB Financial part-time for less than a year

Pros

ATB offers lots of opportunities to learn and grow. They are also always hiring so there are opportunities available for career growth.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about ATB Financial. Although one thing that I guess you could say is a con is that looking through the other anonymous salaries posted I personally think they are a little on the low side.

Aug 21, 2014Talent Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! It’s great to hear that you appreciate the growth opportunities here; that’s the right kind of mindset for success at ATB.

Fantastic

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at ATB Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

great team culture, friendly, local focused, internal growth

Cons

upper management maintained, lots of turnover

more transparent with the branches

a focused organization with youthful enthusiams and energy

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

one of the best pensions in financial industry, potential to move into other exciting roles. a company that embraces change and utilizes technology.

Cons

Upper managment should be better positojned to recieving and adapting the company to feeback from the customer facing employees. Tend to try to many ideas or make changes too rapidly.

Upper managment should be better positojned to recieving and adapting the company to feeback from the customer facing employees. ie, Get loans and paperword processed faster and smother for clients. Get real feedback from empoyees on your uses of technology, Not always open to feedback in a open and anoymouse way.

Aug 21, 2014Talent Specialist

Thank you very much for your comments. We value feedback channels, such as Glassdoor reviews, and we will share these insights with the appropriate team members internally. For specific questions ... More

Loan Service

Current Employee - Loans Service  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Loans Service in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company to work for. Really close circle, so you get to know a lot of people within the bank.

Cons

Sometimes is long to progress careerwise

Great culture

External Hiring Frenzy

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A great place to work from junior management down to the janitor. Very competitive salary, one of the best benefit packages out there, and promote a work life balance.

Cons

From a junior management up to the CEO, good luck getting promoted. There is a major epidemic of external hires in Sr Management positions. There have been 25+ positions posted in the past year for Middle to Sr. Management and not one of them was an ATB internal hire. Many candidates are coming in from other FI's that have a more rigid sales culture. It is evident that this is where the company is going. That said, if you are reading this to join ATB as an entry level position, then it's a great company. Be aware that the culture is changing, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. There are a lot of tenured staff at ATB that need a shake up. If you are a current ATB Jr/Middle management, I suggest looking elsewhere if you are looking for a promotion. If you Middle/Sr. management external, apply now and you will probably get the job!

One of ATB's visions is "To be THE place to work", to hold true to that vision I strongly suggest more transparency on some of the hiring choices and give your internal assets more credit.

OK company with ambitions but backwards thinking

Current Employee - Senior Team Lead  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Team Lead in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

good work space, some departments have a great culture but not all. Most people very friendly

Cons

no support from leadership, no career progression and backwards thinking. Describe a culture that they really cant fufill

support your teams, dont tell someone how awesome they are and that the are a great leader and then turn them down for a job and say you have nothing from them to work on? create the culture that you preach so often

Worked for ATB Financial? Contribute to the Community!