ATB Financial

Updated September 29, 2014
4.2

ATB Financial President & CEO Dave Mowat
Dave Mowat

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance with a results oriented work environment being rolled out (in 46 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home or work remotely from any where i (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Given work loads or tasks related to projects/changes work life balance can be a struggle (in 9 reviews)

• The values they talk about are not demonstrated and senior management are not held accountable (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Can't complain!

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time

Pros

Work life balance, consistency, security

Cons

Lack of innovation, as with most massive banks

Continue moving the needle, hire innovators and take risks

Great place to work

Current Employee - Associate Director  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You're not just an employee number at this bank, you're a person and they treat you like one. You are treated like a valuable member of the team and the work-life balance is excellent. Competitive salaries.

Cons

Lots of inefficiencies and the company is slow to make decisions on anything. You don't have to be a star performer here to get promoted. The technology is archaic.

Consider making the operation more efficient with a higher level of automation and better technology.

Overall an excellent company to work for

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

High caliber leaders, great total compensation package, challenging work, ability to work from home in certain positions, position culture and work environment, always encouraging learning & development

Cons

for team members below the J paygrade (non - management) there is a mandatory membership to PSPP. This includes a 12% contribution off every pay check towards PSPP.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

3 years in Human Resources support several different lines of business.

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture is amazing-results based environment where its about what you do not where you do it. I have the freedom to schedule my time and I work with an amazing group of people that genuinely invest in my development and care about the success of our customers and employees.

Cons

Promotions within Human Resources - specifically clear expectations at each level to determine your gaps and work towards achieving promotions to other roles...
    Human Resources has a few too many initiatives to move forward all at once - would like to see a more focused and long term approach rather than trying to accomplish everything in a short period of time - of course this impacts the quality and effectiveness of the iniatives and therefore impacts engagement and the reputation of the People and Culture team.

Move forward more quickly on committments made to those within People and Culture and stay more focused on a few large initiatives each year rather than trying to "boil the ocean".....

Too much fluff and no business is actually getting done

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Extended health benefits are great. The ability for most of the positions to work from home is why I applied to work here.

Cons

Office culture varies and even though I am equipped to work from home, the flexibility is being removed because of "optics". Complacency is rampant throughout organization and much of the work is redirected to the do-ers regardless of their job. HR will not assist you in anything HR related, such as finding another position within the company that you are qualified for. Lack of solid decisions are made and nobody wants to do the job that they currently have.

Focus on the business and demand business performance in only a few areas. There are too many projects going on at the same time with tight deadlines that takes away from the focus of the organization's business mandate. No more projects should be allowed until some are finished and running at 100%

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Applications Analyst  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at ATB Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits package and educational incentives

Cons

Offices and cubicles were fairly small and there isn't a lot of room to move around. Essentially not spacious enough.

Tons of new graduates are entering the market these days and it would be good to change things up to attract some of the younger talent. For example, offering to work from home 2x week .. OR change up working environment like office space etc.

Aug 22, 2014Talent Specialist

Thank you for your comments! We are very happy to announce that “Workplace 2.0” is becoming adopted more heavily at ATB, meaning that what matters most is results. With the help of advanced ... More

New Employee

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATB Financial part-time for less than a year

Pros

ATB offers lots of opportunities to learn and grow. They are also always hiring so there are opportunities available for career growth.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about ATB Financial. Although one thing that I guess you could say is a con is that looking through the other anonymous salaries posted I personally think they are a little on the low side.

Aug 21, 2014Talent Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! It’s great to hear that you appreciate the growth opportunities here; that’s the right kind of mindset for success at ATB.

Fantastic

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at ATB Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

great team culture, friendly, local focused, internal growth

Cons

upper management maintained, lots of turnover

more transparent with the branches

a focused organization with youthful enthusiams and energy

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

one of the best pensions in financial industry, potential to move into other exciting roles. a company that embraces change and utilizes technology.

Cons

Upper managment should be better positojned to recieving and adapting the company to feeback from the customer facing employees. Tend to try to many ideas or make changes too rapidly.

Upper managment should be better positojned to recieving and adapting the company to feeback from the customer facing employees. ie, Get loans and paperword processed faster and smother for clients. Get real feedback from empoyees on your uses of technology, Not always open to feedback in a open and anoymouse way.

Aug 21, 2014Talent Specialist

Thank you very much for your comments. We value feedback channels, such as Glassdoor reviews, and we will share these insights with the appropriate team members internally. For specific questions ... More

Loan Service

Current Employee - Loans Service  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Loans Service in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company to work for. Really close circle, so you get to know a lot of people within the bank.

Cons

Sometimes is long to progress careerwise

Great culture

Worked for ATB Financial? Contribute to the Community!