ATC Associates

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bobby Toups

Interesting assignments of property condition assessments.

Structural Engineer (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGood experience with corporate clients

ConsTight budgets and quick turnaround times.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more opportunities for personal growth.

Mediocre quality of work

Asbestos Consultant (Former Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsGood people to work with at the mid-management level. The culture of the company is enjoyable and the projects are varied.

ConsThe quality of work is mediocre. Project Managers are hired at high levels of pay to fix past problems and then get fired once the problems are resolved.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove overall quality of work and stop the management revolving door.

You swim or you sink, is no in between.

Environmental Consultant (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsI have lot of respect fro the project managers that I use to wok with.

ConsIt is no training, you have to figure out by yourself, no mentorship program. In my 3 years there I had no review nor was I told what the expectations are. The management was like a high school bunch of mean people and you have no chance if they don’t like you, nothing professional all personal.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This was a demoralizing experience. Run , do not walk away from this company

Project Scientist (Former Employee)
    Novi, MI

Pros"Pay checks" never bounced or the money was always deposited in the direct deposit account

ConsNo staff development. Very dysfunctional culture. You will be forever in the position you were hired in for. In the five years I was there NO ONE was ever promoted. New positions were filled from outside the company, despite competent staff within the company. When they realize they have hired yet another incompetent PM, they will eventually fire that person and then hire outside the company again. Raises are almost non-existent (a company wide phenomenon). This company forced me to reconsider a career I once loved.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company was recently purchased by Cardno. It is possible that the new company will change the culture but it will take many years. The dysfunction is too deeply ingrained.

A good steppingstone

Staff Scientist (Current Employee)

ProsA good place to gain experience. Friendly project managers. Flexibility in schedule.

ConsPoor pay. Poor corporate structure in regards to career growth (ie mentorships, additional training). Slim to no chance of raises. Poor communication and attitude from office manager that flows downhill.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive respect and appreciation to your workers

Materials Testing Technician

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone, got to drive my own car.

ConsThey are not to be trusted. They make you work in hot and uncomfortable positions and will then come in and turn off the fan. They don't give over time and a down right rude. I wouldn't recommend to my worst enimies. They

Advice to Senior ManagementMake serious changes to the Highland Indiana branch.

If you get an offer...DECLINE!

Staff Scientist (Former Employee)

ProsThis job will give you a skewed version of how the environmental consulting business functions in this economy. Skewed in the sense that this job essentially stunk! But sticking with the Pros, you will have the opportunity to work for high-profile clients and hopefully stay busy if you are under a director that can bring in work. You get access to places that people don't usually get access to, such as the roof of a high-rise building. You get to work as a team and also do projects yourself, and you get a cubicle! If you want a job where you don't mind traveling and driving a lot...this job maybe tolerable for you. You are paid back somewhat for travel, but trust me, a job with this company is a joke.

ConsThe comments that I've seen on Glassdoor are identical to the experience I had with the company. Let me give you a slew of reasons why this company is far from worth it:

1)The pay for Industrial Hygienists is very low. The workers (laborers) that abate the materials get paid only a couple bucks less than you an hour...and you probably have a college degree.
    2) Management treats field staff like disposable workers. Basically you are paid to drive and do the mindless (often disrespected) work at job sites.
    3) Commuting is a pain in the behind.
    4) If you are not a good fit for management, does not matter how hard you try...you will get cut in a pretty ruthless way.
    5) Of course, in every job you have to exceed expectations of the employer, but in my experience, you had to play brown noser to management...or good luck enjoying life
    6) The company is falling apart. Even though it was bought out by Cardno, managers and field staff are leaving left and right. Absolutely NOT a steady job.
    7) The site contacts you meet and tenants you encounter at the job sites don't really respect your field and often look down upon you. Your contacts are often maintenance, so there you go.
    8) The actual field work is mindless and not fulfilling at all. At least with Industrial Hygiene, you just collect samples of drywall and what not and run bulky air pumps.
    9) You will get little to no training. Expect to somehow know everything and not make a mistake, get thrown into these high pressure jobs, and get blamed for EVERYTHING...especially if you are brand new to the biz.
    10) You will get yelled at my management, by workers (yes workers), supervisors, people who are the same rank as you, and essentially everyone!
    11) If you think people have your back, don't because with this small company and small offices, it's a dog-eat-dog world. You should feel that you are being rewarded for the good job you do, not ridiculed because you are simply at the wrong place at the wrong time and blamed for something else. Good thing I did not sue.
    12) From what I saw at my office, the treatment of women and men is absolutely not the same/fair. It seems, at least with my division, that women were hired as quickly as they were fired...sucked for them.
    13) Management thinks they're all that and a bag of chips even though practically every division has less than 10 people.
    14) Some equipment that you are given are outdated. Quality does not really matter with this company, just results and money.
    15) You will deliver reports for high-profile clients when, again, you have little to no training with understanding the results, verbiage, and Federal and State Laws.
    16) Upward movement is a pipe dream. Again with small offices and people leaving left and right, good luck with having any hope in becoming more than a technician....with lousy pay.

Trust me, there are far more Cons than Pros with this job. This company is not stable and it's essentially a JOKE. Look for something else....that will be worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and maybe they will stop leaving the company.

Company is not organized and managers need management schooling

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGot overpaid sometimes because my friend convinced my manager that I need more money even though I didn't need extra money and I was fine with what I had, my manager didn't care that I came to work late 2 times, and I sat in the cubicle right next to my managers office and heard all the gossip that came out of his office.

ConsDisorganized Company, Lack of Communication between managers and other workers, Lack of teamwork. Managers only talk with other managers about work related things and say nothing to the people below them. Managers think they know whats going on but don't talk to others about work related issues. My manager didn't do any work at all often and his boss didn't even care.

I was new at ATC and when ever I made a mistake at work my manager would tell my co-worker first and my co-worker would then tell me, my manager never came directly to me at any time to tell me that I made a mistake and I need to correct it. Often times I would do my work and think that everything is ok but when there was something wrong I was always the last person to know, and sometimes I had no idea that something needs to be corrected because nobody wouldn't tell me anything.

Office politics and gossip are popular at ATC. Even though I never gossiped about anyone in the office as long as I worked there my manager would gossip about me and other employees that work there - saying all kinds of things that are not even true about any of us.

Managers use people to spy on you- what ever you say and do will be said to your manager

About the employees at ATC - who ever you work with or come across at ATC - they are people who are nice to you in front of your face but are snakes behind your back - you would never know what they are saying about you or what they are secretly planning for you behind your back.

You are called a part-time employee even though you work 40 Hours a week but part-time at ATC means you work and get no benefits for a year or more.- In my opinion thats absurd

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open with your employees, talk to everyone about work related things don't keep things a secret, people below you need to know whats going on. Work together as a team don't leave anyone out because they have a position thats below yours. Respect one another at ATC, treat others like you want to be treated, be a team, work together, help others out, stop gossiping about others, and maybe if you do these things things will be better for ATC and the company will improve.

Not Standard Lab

Analyst/Technician (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsBetter than nothing and work at no choice at other job.

ConsNot a standard lab. Management and working environement is too bad no quality control, do not follow the procedures, employees are too lazy because working 2 jobs, annoying always and bother and working schedules are too bad.

Working environment
    All analysts and Technicians are too old or too lazy and not enough level to handle their job. Almost all stuffs are working 2 jobs in a day and always tired and not enough concentration. A lot of annoying and bully staffs and always bother to others every 5 minutes. No proper manager and supervisor so director knows and cannot control.
    Some staffs has their own company and during ATC working time they do for their own company. Systems creates to push a lot of responsibilities to make mistake and if mistakes yelling and make unsecured position.

Management
    Reverse to Environmental project side lab do not have manager or supervisor and too loose. Only one quality control coordinator and just yelling, impolite and blaming to the people and talking with ph always with own language. Cannot control quality itself.
    Night shift people work few hours, sleep or go home or no work and submit overtime and no progress.
    The director is also working part time in a lot of other companies and do not concentrate in managements and just blaming, abusive, humiliated and give favor to the staffs who has give and take for their own companies.
    Always not enough staffs and push staffs to work double, manipulate just write the result without analyzing.

Labs
    No QC at all and just on the paper. Force to write result employee without analyzing. No proper training and a lot of analyst are not enough background to analyze.
    Never see TEM analysts but producing a lot of reports daily even only one TEM machine is out of order.
    Lead prep is terrible and no proper trained Tech do as they want , a lot of contamination and issue the result.
    NOB do not follow ELAP protocol, sample heating up short and do not cover samples during heating and cool down. A lot of contamination.
    PLM analysts are forced to write "None Detected" for positive sample to go TEM to collect more money. Sometimes director ask someone to prep Not NOB sample and just friable bulk sample for PLM and analyze.

Director is using some staffs for her personal or her other part time job. Use some staffs for informer or like spy to report to her. Since she get wrong and abuse to the people.
    For inspection, pretending to follow the protocols and hide all the do not follow.

Advice to Senior ManagementLab needs to change director who does not commitment of breaking protocols.
    Lab needs real manager or supervisor
    Old and lazy people, working 2 jobs staffs should be retired.
    Need more training to all staff including technical ethic.
    Quality Control is seriously required.

Horrible, look for another employer!!!

Principal Geologist/Offie Manager (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsOnly one, if your office happens to be doing well (that is measured by only one standard making a lot of money for management) then you will be left alone, most of the time.

ConsThe CEO and senior VPs are the worst; ATC has no leadership or moral compass. The CEO comes to work 2-3 days a week and leaves at noon. In fact who is ATC’s CEO? I worked at ATC for more than 5 years, brought in millions of dollars into the company, and got rewarded with low pay, marginal benefits, pathetic bonuses, and the best of all even if you are a performer if you are not a member of ATC's FOB club (“Friends of Bobby”, that’s the CEO) you will not be successful and be promoted. ATC management team wants today to be the same as yesterday and tomorrow to be no different than today; the company is stale, starting to implode, rotting from the top down. Be careful, each ATC office functions as an independently owned and operated business; you will be in competition with other ATC offices for the same work and clients, really I’m not kidding. Within ATC certifications and professional registrations are meaningless, non-degreed technicians and staff level employees with less than a year of experience evaluate data and write technical reports; the bottom line if far more important, training is non-existent. Also, you will be working in an office with the décor and equipment that date back to prehistoric times, be prepared to work with Windows 3.1 & 2000, hand me down broken field equipment, so be prepared to work at home a lot if you can. Leaving ATC was a great decision; there are other consulting companies that provide far better personal and professional development, reward performance, and the whole company functions as a team, which makes working stimulating, rewarding and fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO and senior management team should leave ASAP, the ATC staff that come to work every day deserve far better.

Worked for ATC Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ATC Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ATC Associates CEO Bobby Toups. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by ATC Associates employees.