ATCIC

Updated July 21, 2014
Updated July 21, 2014

1.8

CEO

Work was stimulating and rewarding

Pros

Senior level Managers were supportive

Cons

Work/ Life Balance and compensation could improve

Toxic workplace that encourages bully workplace
    Behavior

Former Employee - Call Center  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Call Center in Austin, TX

Pros

There was nothing positive about this experience other then learning to stay far far away.

Cons

Poor training practices, intimidating atmosphere where the supervisors bullied you by singling you out with harsh judgments in everything from your performance to the dish you bring to the company potluck. He pulled me into his office to lecture me about offering some of the dish I'd brought to a security guard saying when I brought a dish it was no longer "mine" and belonged to the "workplace" and that I had no right to make the offer. After that he proceeded to hammer me with one bad scoring review after another. When all this failed to make me quit he called my agency and ended my contract claiming I wasn't "getting it" even though I was only there a month and a half and the first month was spent in training class. Can't say I was exactly crushed or heartbroken over this. After that nightmare experience I was able to move onto a better job I enjoyed a lot more. If you are a minority you will do well at this place. Since that is what they seem to prefer hiring. If you're a single, white, female who is older don't make yourself miserable by wasting your time at this place.

Take the grown up school yard bullies out of the positions if power and teach them it's not ok to treat people without respect just because they don't like them. Also don't be so petty about potluck dishes that people bring.

A very stressful, toxic workplace

Pros

From my work experience there, I don't have much positive to say about the organization

Cons

Poor management; supervisor was abusive, biased and oppressive.

I would focus on employee's former experiences if they are applying for a position; my supervisor clearly didn't have the skills to do the job she was hired for. I believe more exploration needs to be done of a potential employee around ethical and human relations skills; in addition, some sense of a person's mental health ought to be explored without breaking confidentiality boundaries. In my situation, there was a clear target of getting rid of me and another co-worker. When grievances came up, in my case, the managers of my supervisor really didn't listen to my story (at least in the way I perceived it), but sided with the supervisor; in one case when I filed a formal grievance with the subject being my supervisor, someone in the administration simply removed it without even consulting me. This was very demoralizing, and ethically wrong. At the very least it was negligent in terms of leadership. To me, it's unconscioniable (sp) for a community mental health system to have so many ethical and dysfunctional problems with management. We are role models, and human beings should never be treated like machines, but with a high degree of human dignity. In the latter area, I found severe shortcomings, and would be hard-pressed to recommend ATCIC to community members or professionals.

Respectfully,
    Christopher Beam, MA, CPS (State of Texas)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working in the Mental Health Field

Former Employee - Behavior Specialist  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Behavior Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

Working at ATCMHMR was a positive experience in that one is able to provide social services to clientele who benefit greatly from a structured, experienced support system. Family and friends are often unavailable or suffer from burn out and cannot effectively support the client in achieving and maintaining optimal functioning and health in the community. The knowledge base and contacts available at ATCMHMR are extensive even though funding for mental health treatment has historically been insufficient to meet the needs of the community.

Cons

Turnover of staff is high, pay for social work is low, and the stress of attempting to manage medications, treatment, and problem behaviors can become overwhelming when programs are undermanned and underfunded.

Treat your employees like gold and offer as much support for them as possible. Be on the lookout for possible employee burn out and fight for increased funding so that service provision runs as smoothly as possible.

Worked for ATCIC? Contribute to the Community!