ATCO

ATCO President, CEO and Director ATCO and Canadian Utilities Nancy C. Southern

Nancy C. Southern

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great!

ProsRelaxed environment and not micro managed

ConsLess compensation and no bonuses

Excellent place to work

ProsGood stock plan, good hours, a family business where family is important

ConsOn Emergency Call through out the year which takes time away from family

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep open communication.

Very diverse.

Supervisor (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsDecent benefits, employee involvement, multiple locations to work from (although sometimes there is no real choice). Most of the people who work here are "good" people who like their job. Training is thourough and extensive.

ConsMoving from one Company to another, despite the "talk" of it being promoted, is very difficult and limited. Change/modernization can take a very long time, some of the companies stay up to date with technology while others lag behind, not just hardware technology but HR technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire when you get your number, let Engineers engineer, hire/develop leaders to lead, let those who want to work work and get rid of some of the dead weight.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incompetent executive at POS level who are afraid to tell Nancee the truth

Senior Executive (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsNothing. This is a dismal company who are inherent in promoting incompetency

ConsEverything. Old school who fake their values

Advice to Senior ManagementWhistleblower

Seemed a good idea to work for ATCO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsStarted well enough...company seemed to have a plan for the project I was hired to undertake. Benefits program was a good compensation. If you are willing to follow a strict doctrine of being it is a good company...if you are innovative and creative it s a stifling place and such a contradiction makes it difficult to be inspired.

ConsEncouragement of co-workers sabotaging each other to get tasks done...cut throat wins over morality...but that seems a company wide philosophy of management. I believe there is gross use of budgets to befriend politicians and like-companies. Knowing now where money goes I am upset as a tax payer in this province.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure that any advice would be followed as management seems to say what ever makes the Southerns happy! Each level of management spins its own story to make the next level up believe they are in control.

It's ok

Analyst (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Prosvery stable, nice people, great office location

Conslower than market pay, conservative

Incompetent management, old school structure---Feel like working in 1970's again

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsWork life balance
    Work location is near downtown core

ConsIncompetent management with poor technical and leadership skills
    Extremely old school structure. The Southern family brainwashed the existing mgmt to apply their 1970's working style.
    Reluctant to change resulted in extreme inefficiencies

Advice to Senior ManagementAll the baby boomers need to retire immediately and management need a full house change.

Great Company, Highly Reccomended

Human Resources (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsFlexible Work Life Balance, excellent Benefits

ConsNon, this is a great company and very stable

Advice to Senior ManagementThey all are very open

Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood Money, great benifits. Most people are very good to work with.
    Our holidays are excellent and it's a great work environment.

ConsNot much to say for cons. Need more experienced workers with all the retirements happening.

Advice to Senior ManagementI personally love the new companies ATCO is getting into. Nancy Southern is a very smart lady. I feel some managers need to become more organized though.

Good but on a downward slide?

Engineer (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsThe employees have a great attitude and respect to one another. This goes between engineers, accountants, field staff and executive. Compensation is fair and job security in the utility companies is second to none. Work life balance is generally good but may be eroding.

ConsThe company can be somewhat rigid and old fashioned. Flexible work hours are not an option. Dress code is strict and stodgy. The company can be slow and unresponsive at times. Often many approvals are required for anything to happen, resulting in delays that paralyze the company. The greatest example of this of late has been replacement of vacancies. The company is very slow to fill them and the existing staff bears the weight of the extra work. The company went lean in the last few years and appears unwilling or unable to staff up. People are burning out.

Advice to Senior ManagementFill the vacancies you have. Staff up and reduce the workload on those still here. Burnout as a result of the added work is making the company lose good people. I promise this is costing us more money than if we had a few more people and higher retention rates.

Worked for ATCO? Contribute to the Community!