ATCO

Be The First To
Add Photos

ATCO President, CEO and Director ATCO and Canadian Utilities Nancy C. Southern

Nancy C. Southern

Good

Editor (Current Employee)
    Calgary, TX

ProsSmall company; a lot of visibility; free healthcare and life insurance
    Easy access to middle management; flexible scheduling and work/life balance

ConsNot much opportunity for growth; difficult to have views of employees considered by senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees

Good

ProsGood life balance. Good EPIC program. Good social club. Good Christmas parties.

ConsNothing. Nothing really negative to say about the experience working at ATCO

How does ATCO measure up?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsATCO has a wide range of companies and requires a diverse base of employees. There are few barriers to moving around within the company unless you are in a highly specialized position. ATCO is family run and therefore places a great deal of importance on family values of its employees. They are very active in the communities in which they work and that makes me proud to be an ATCO employee. I like that they promote from within before looking for new employees outside of the company. They remain competitive in their fields and I have a lot of confidence in where the company is going as a whole.

ConsThe diversity of the company can sometimes be a downside. With so many employees, its hard to know what is going on everywhere and sometimes you can feel disconnected. Because it is so family oriented and employee events tend to revolve around families, single people can feel left out of the loop on these. There isn't currently a vessel to find out what you might need to know about what is going on at the company either. And it takes a very long time for anything to change. That can be frustrating when you are used to how quickly the rest of the world changes nowadays.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think Senior Management at the corporate level does a good job of participating in employee events. However, some of the Senior Management at the operating companies could be more visible.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great!

ProsRelaxed environment and not micro managed

ConsLess compensation and no bonuses

Excellent place to work

ProsGood stock plan, good hours, a family business where family is important

ConsOn Emergency Call through out the year which takes time away from family

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep open communication.

Very diverse.

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsDecent benefits, employee involvement, multiple locations to work from (although sometimes there is no real choice). Most of the people who work here are "good" people who like their job. Training is thourough and extensive.

ConsMoving from one Company to another, despite the "talk" of it being promoted, is very difficult and limited. Change/modernization can take a very long time, some of the companies stay up to date with technology while others lag behind, not just hardware technology but HR technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire when you get your number, let Engineers engineer, hire/develop leaders to lead, let those who want to work work and get rid of some of the dead weight.

Incompetent executive at POS level who are afraid to tell Nancee the truth

Senior Executive (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsNothing. This is a dismal company who are inherent in promoting incompetency

ConsEverything. Old school who fake their values

Advice to Senior ManagementWhistleblower

Seemed a good idea to work for ATCO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsStarted well enough...company seemed to have a plan for the project I was hired to undertake. Benefits program was a good compensation. If you are willing to follow a strict doctrine of being it is a good company...if you are innovative and creative it s a stifling place and such a contradiction makes it difficult to be inspired.

ConsEncouragement of co-workers sabotaging each other to get tasks done...cut throat wins over morality...but that seems a company wide philosophy of management. I believe there is gross use of budgets to befriend politicians and like-companies. Knowing now where money goes I am upset as a tax payer in this province.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure that any advice would be followed as management seems to say what ever makes the Southerns happy! Each level of management spins its own story to make the next level up believe they are in control.

It's ok

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

Prosvery stable, nice people, great office location

Conslower than market pay, conservative

Incompetent management, old school structure---Feel like working in 1970's again

ProsWork life balance
    Work location is near downtown core

ConsIncompetent management with poor technical and leadership skills
    Extremely old school structure. The Southern family brainwashed the existing mgmt to apply their 1970's working style.
    Reluctant to change resulted in extreme inefficiencies

Advice to Senior ManagementAll the baby boomers need to retire immediately and management need a full house change.

Worked for ATCO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ATCO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ATCO CEO Nancy C. Southern. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by ATCO employees.