ATG Stores Reviews

Updated October 5, 2014
Updated October 5, 2014
2.7

Robert Niblock

Great people, not enough time off

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at ATG Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere in the Software Development department is friendly, low pressure and collaborative. This is a good entry level job for new software developers. The pay is low but you get frequent, significant raises during your first year, so if you perform decently you will end up at or around industry standard at some point between your first & second year. It's a great way to gain experience and learn from people who are very open to sharing their knowledge. It's also nicely lacking in "corporate-speak". I don't know if there is a mission statement or company motto, and that is perfect.

Cons

Low starting pay (with decent frequent raises--see "pros" section). 10 days off/year which includes sick days, personal holidays and vacation. Really, really not enough!

Provide more paid time off. For a lot of employees, this is more important than higher pay.

Good Starting Place

Former Employee - Business Development in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Kirkland, WA

I worked at ATG Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Experience. They put you in roles where you get to wear a lot of hats and have decision making power. It is a great place to build experience and the environment is fun. People were great, good experience. The company is now under new management as they were bought out by a huge company but when I was there the senior management had a real open door policy. When you needed to talk to the CEO all you had to do was go knock on his door and he would make time.

Cons

Pay was below market rates and raises were based more on tenure than on merit.

You get out what you put in

I have been working at ATG Stores full-time

Pros

Working on the software development side you get to work on a lot of interesting projects. Short life cycles for projects means your never stuck on one thing for long. Positive friendly team members who are always available to help no matter the task.

Cons

Entry level pay starts low. After a couple of years though it's possible to be at or above industry average.

High tech retail experience opportunity for those with skills and drive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at ATG Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Something new always coming along in the online marketing space, always new challenges and opportunities. Corporate ownership by Lowe's offers many new areas of growth for the company and employees, so far very much a promote from within culture. Still operating the house brand but also supporting lowes.ca and soon lowesforpros.com, strong sales benefits from Lowe's Special Order Sales and ATG product placement on lowes.com. It's exciting to be part of so much growth in so many diversified areas.

Cons

The company does hire a lot of newbies fresh from school with zero experience but sometimes they have high expectations and are over confident. It's great for the young person wanting to break in and learn as long as they realize that as a first job they will get out of it what they put into it.

Keep taking care of your dedicated employees and worry less about the whiners

Provided a wonderful reference and stepping stone into a real career, and very little else

Former Employee - Marketing Department in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Department in Kirkland, WA

I worked at ATG Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Direct management was wonderful. Great immediate team culture. Provided experience necessary to developing a real career.

Cons

Very little growth potential. Pay was grossly below industry expectations. Poor company culture. Employees viewed as potential problems to be controlled rather than assets to be cultivated. Was directly asked by executive leadership to participate in actions that violated customer privacy permissions and Federal Trade Commission laws. No budget to acquire tools or programs to effectively and efficiently perform job. Even the paperclips are kept under lock and key. Tends to hire the cheapest employees, not the best employees, which creates an atmosphere and expectation of mediocracy.

Respect your employees, pay them adequately, reward talent, cultivate leadership

Experience depends on your manager

I have been working at ATG Stores full-time

Pros

It all depends on what department you're in

Cons

There's a cap on pay. It's an entry level job.

Run Far Away from this Company

I have been working at ATG Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you have a degree but absolutely no work experience and are willing to work for next to nothing they will hire you as long as you are willing to work hard

Cons

Once this company was purchased by Lowes it went all down hill from there. Everything is being conformed to lowes and the former glory of the Red Logo has now turned Blue. ATG appears to be growing a lot because of all of the Sales from Lowes Stores but Lowes is only investing in Lowes Initiatives and what is going to profit Lowes in the long term and ATG's Business itself "without any lowes orders" is down around 50%. Lowes brought in people from Corporate Headquarters to replace Management Roles that current ATG Employees held and I would not be surprised if it is a strategy to move the company within the next couple of years to Lowes Corporate in North Carolina. The left over roles available that have not been taken by Lowes Corporate You will only have a chance for if you get into the right click. If you have any goals in life and self worth then don't come to work here. If you don't care about life and just want to scrape by then this is the perfect place for you. Buyer be ware, they might want to renegotiate your salary or bonus structure once you have been here for a couple of years. Someone is always willing to do your job for less.

Don't give someone a promotional job because they are in the right click. Don't Lie to your people and about your people.

Young, Energetic Company Culture

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at ATG Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the many great aspects of working at ATG Stores is the company culture that is created by having young, energetic, and motivated employees working in an environment that provides both team oriented and individual goals. The autonomy one receives from upper management helps curate a self-driven mindset in the employees that I enjoy.

Cons

One of the most common grumblings for the company revolves around compensation: new employees experience low entry wages and minimal benefits including PTO. Salaries are reviewed on a rather frequent basis and are awarded based upon merit, but when juxtaposed with industry standards they compare rather low in an employee's first few years with the company.

From time-to-time there is a divide between departments because communication on changes and goals are not clearly stated previous to implementation. Clarity of communication good help eliminate some tensions between departments.

No Place for a Long-Term Career

I worked at ATG Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with mostly talented and friendly people, and enjoyed my department. I was also allowed to come in extra early so that I could leave early to accomodate my schedule. Because everyone is hourly, you're almost never required or allowed to work overtime which I see as a good thing. This was a job that paid the bills and I didn't have to take my work home with me.

ATG Stores was acquired by Lowe's. I saw very little change with this acquisition. Shortly after I left, the CEO was replaced.

Cons

Although I liked what I did at this company, I was often not able to do it. Projects were often sprung on us, micro-managed by those without expertise in the field, and given arbitrary deadlines. It was usually unclear who had final say and priorities shifted daily on personal whims.

They hire at entry level despite your skills or the job they want done. This means about $12-$14 an hour (the same starting hourly pay they were offering 7 years ago!). Raises are given at annual reviews at about $1-2/hour. There is 401k matching after one year of employment. You accrue 10 paid days off a year (and after 5 years you get 2 more days).

I had a great manager, but like so many of the skilled, qualified employees, he left. Departments do not get budgets. CEO approval was required for every single purchase. I felt like departments were pitted against each other and managers had to spend a lot of time defending themselves and pointing fingers. They hire from within which could be a plus, but it's based on personal relationships and favoritism, skills are a very small factor if at all.

Invest in your employees long-term, rather than "counting every dollar". Offer compensation at industry standards to hire the right person for the job. It will actually make your job easier and the company more successful in the long run. You will be able to trust your employees to do their job and feel less of a need to micro-manage. Basically reverse your thinking, put your employees and customers first and the money will follow.

Great company

I have been working at ATG Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ATG provides an opportunity to learn so much and excel if you are a performer. I see some pretty negative reviews on here but am not convinced these people were doing a stellar job which would warrant pay increases and rockstar treatment. I was at ATG for several years, worked my tail off and was rewarded for my hard work. Management is accessible and willing to chat. There are no barriers between departments which gives you an opportunity to learn a lot about business. The leadership at ATG changed a bit recently with a re-org and things seem to be progressing nicely. You get to travel regularly if you're in Business Development which is a perk. Lots of new partner opportunities happening and integration with Lowe's has been an exciting endeavour.

Cons

More employee functions would be nice.

ATG Stores Photos