ATI Physical Therapy (Illinois)

www.atipt.com

ATI Physical Therapy (Illinois) Reviews

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015

Dylan Bates

Great place to work at!

Current Employee - Applications Developer
    Current Employee - Applications Developer

I have been working at ATI Physical Therapy (Illinois) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

ATI has a great workplace, full of fun and caring people. I have worked at ATI Corporate in the IT department.
    Benefits are great, they also have additional fun and useful perks.
    Compensation is good, and they are not afraid to make you feel valuable to the team.
    The team is very helpful and down to earth. The managers are also great leaders, helpful, friendly, and professional.
    Great job security.
    Flexible and understanding in terms of life events that may occur.

Cons

Due to aggressive expansion throughout the country, which they have done very successfully and with great results, some major projects may have short deadlines to meet.

Keep up the good work.

Not the same company it used to be...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at ATI Physical Therapy (Illinois)

Pros

Great coworkers who like to make the workplace fun. On-site fitness facility. Accessible commuting location. Nice facilities. Fair pay if you negotiate with the offer.

Innovation and entrepreneurial attitude is appreciated and encouraged. Verbal recognition is good. You can always seek out additional challenges and find a way to keep growing. Lots of encouragement to keep pushing yourself, have a great attitude, and thinks of ways to improve the patient experience. Despite what you hear about it being a $$$ game, much of that comes down to payer and Medicare cuts. The management is always focused on doing the best that can be done for a patient with the resources we have.

April at the front employee office is a treasure and the heart of the corporate office. No matter what type of day you are having, April will brighten it.

Cons

Benefits are lacking compared to most companies I have worked for: 1) low life insurance, 2) had to wait over a year to be able to contribute to my own 401k, 3) low 401k match and long vesting period, 4) medical/dental premiums are extremely high, 5) lack of company paid holidays; the bare minimum is given but not enough "float" days to make up for all the holidays people are stuck working. Exempt employees are often treated like non-exempt. I have never been anywhere where time is tracked so closely. Have a doctor's appointment and need to leave 2 hours early? Depending on your manager, you'll likely need to use 2 hours sick time, even if you regularly put in more then 40 hours a week. If you have a manager kind enough to let that slide, you'd better keep quiet about it so no one else finds out.

Despite the encouragement to challenge yourself and take on more responsibility, there is little reward for this. Promotions are scarce, and don't materialize for months (sometimes over a year) after promised. And all that time you are managing two jobs without any additional pay or recognition. Raises are often frozen, and when they come, are 2% or less.

The company is growing too rapidly and losing sight of its core values. With every acquisition, this becomes more pronounced. The infrastructure and internal teams are expected to continually do more in less time. Every time the team is successful, even more is expected the next round. The core values of "teamwork" and "friendly factor" are gone at corporate. People are overworked, stretched too thin, and managing too much therefore they are tense, finger-pointing, and snapping at each other.

I used to love to come to work at ATI each morning. Now I walk-in wondering what unreasonable expectations will be tossed at me today.

Senior management used to inspire us. Now it feels as if they are very disconnected & out of touch from the rest of the company. Morale is low. Spend time and money re-investing in the company and the employee, not focusing solely on acquisitions. Recognize people's hard work and long hours. A belt going to 4 employees a year doesn't cut it. Give high-five awards or something to recognize how hard people are working. Promote people and stay true to your word. Do right by people and they will do right by you.

Corporate Work Environment and Management

Former Employee - Patient Account Specialist Collections in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Patient Account Specialist Collections in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at ATI Physical Therapy (Illinois) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ATI is a progressive fast growing company; therefore no fear of company layoffs. Corporate location easy to access. Dress Casual with Jeans on Friday. Workout center available to all exempt and non-exempt employees. Reasonable hourly wage for collections on accounts; but not highly competitive with other similar industry jobs. Mostly women working hourly jobs so lots of opportunity to connect with other women if you are a women of course. Safe and secured building. No racial or sexual discrimination is tolerated. ATI has solid direction and honorable mission and core values.

Cons

Pertaining to hourly employees. Hourly wage is less than actual agreed upon wage during hiring process. HR will offer $/hr and let you know you will not receive your full hourly wage until after three months of employment. Raises are between 1% to 3% and not every year. No raises for hourly employees in 2013 but no layoffs either. No bonus money or meaningful perks for hourly employees for job well done.

Work Environment has non-adjustable computer monitors, non-adjustable work station desks. Lighting and heating poor during the winter months in the large trade floor area. Very little opportunity for advancement and no opportunity to learn or cross train in other lines of businesses.

ATI trending is to hire Front Line Managers and Team Leads who lack management and people skills; hence hourly employees can be subjected to inappropriate management behavior and incorrect decisions.

Employee evaluation tools are inequitable due to states, carriers, and contracts pay at various rates and a wide range of time by which insurance carriers take to pay; hence employee collection results are compared to other employee collection results without taking into consideration carrier time pays and various state mandated and contracted pays ranging from 31% of charges to nearly 100% of the charges. Employee results are posted for all other employees to see. There is no mathematical or systematic equitable evaluation tool to measure actual money collected. Yet, employee evaluations are based upon how many accounts are worked per day and how much money is collected, yet each account, state, carrier, and rate of pay vary greatly. Hence; understand to work at ATI as a collector will pay a reasonable rate of pay but you must be looking for simply a job to pay your bills. Advancements and pay raises should not be a goal. If your are looking for a job just to make your bills and not interested in advancement or pay raises, this may be a good job for your situation.

There are some excellent Front Line Managers and Team Leads but the majority need management and people skill training. Front Line Management does not line up with Top Management Corporate Mission and Values.

Communicate with your hourly employees. Hire Front-line Managers and Team Leads who uphold ATI Core Values. Implement employee opportunities to evaluate their managers. Use manager evaluation results as tools for re-training and promotion decisions rather than for monetary compensation. Develop an accurate and equitable assessment tool driven by mathematical formulas to compensate for industry variables which directly impact revenue collected. In the meantime, do not post employee revenue results and favor/praise a few individuals who benefit from an inequitable/poor evaluation tool/report. Management communication style must be directive from top/down. ATI top management does top/down communication very well. ATI management needs to create safe communication channels from bottom/up.

High energy, great company.

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ATI Physical Therapy (Illinois) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting edge out patient PT. In today's health care market, this company is staying ahead of the game with documentation while maintaining high priority on patient attention.

Cons

Fast pace of outpatient PT not for everyone.

Manage to to individual and clinic specifics more consistently instead of from corporate.

Overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at ATI Physical Therapy (Illinois) part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Continuing education dollars, good staff clinicians who work hard to meet their patient's needs. Nice facilities.

Cons

As a salaried employee, ATI is not required to provide lunch breaks or documentation time. You work non-stop seeing multiple patients at the same time with no time to eat, breathe, or complete your work. You are required to do everything: laundry, answer phones, schedule patients, on top of your day to day PT tasks and patient care. Each therapist is completing the job of 2-3 people. You are never paid overtime even when you work extra hours to accommodate your patients' needs. Expectations are to bill for 60-90 minutes of therapy. You will have 2-4 patients at all times during the day due to duration and frequency expectations of the company. Patients are expected to attend therapy 3 times per week, that amounts to an average of 15-20 units billed per week! This is why their revenue is so high as a company. It is impossible to meet this company's target numbers while treating responsibly and ethically.

Employees need to feel respected. Provide adequate staffing and documentation time to allow staff to complete job tasks during worked hours. The amount of tasks required as a part-time employee add up to 40+ hours per week when only paid for 30. This is a modern day sweat shop. Good staff will continue to burn out. Improve the EMR system. It is not efficient and requires too many clicks to complete reports. Improve your adherence to labor laws. I would like the senior management to attempt to manage the schedule of a PT for a week.

Long hours, mandatory (unpaid) overtime, no time off around holidays

Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at ATI Physical Therapy (Illinois)

Pros

I worked in a busy clinic, so there was often someone around to ask questions to if I needed it. They have a whole billing department and the front office is trained on insurance verification and all that, so it was infrequent that I had to look into insurances myself. They also have a cool tool called Caseloads that helps you keep track of your patients, how far out they are from surgery, their scheduled appointments, and if they have missed appointments each week.

Cons

This was my first job as a new grad and I left after 6 months. It was mandatory to work at least 4 evenings per week, so I usually didn't leave until 8 pm. I was told I would never be allowed to go visit family out of state around the holidays, because they can only give 1 person off each day around the holidays for the entire district (which in Wisconsin was about 20 clinics), and the same person wouldn't get more than 1 day.

Beyond work-life balance, I found it very challenging that I was expected to see 2 patients at a time each hour of the day, with 1 tech for several therapists, and I never felt like I could give each person the attention they deserved. Therapists are expected to check up on patients who don't show up for their appointments and discharge them if they miss more than 2 scheduled appointments without rescheduling. If the patient calls during the day, even to cancel, the therapist is expected to leave the 2 or more patients they are working with to answer the phone and try to reschedule them. Sometimes I was expected to triple book myself to fit a patient in in the interest of flexibility.

Because I was salaried, I was expected to be flexible with my hours and came in early multiple times due to pressure from my clinical director. If we had had a snowy day and had a lot of cancellations, the clinic was open on the weekends and therapists were expected to be available to work at least 1 weekend day with just a few days notice. This was also true around the holidays when lots of people cancelled. I never did this (I had another weekend job), but I believe one did get paid extra. What I did not get paid additionally for were the times I was mandatorily told to add a few hours to my workweek when a coworker was sick or when they wanted to squeeze in an early eval. If a coworker was gone for a few weeks for a family or medical situation, rather than having someone come in to cover their patients, we were expected to squeeze them into our schedules and come in early without any extra pay.

Although I stated the Caseloads tool was helpful, the con to this tool is that it allowed my clinical director to micromanage everything about my patients. At first I thought this would be helpful as a new grad, but it ended up that at our weekly caseload meetings instead of feeling empowered to ask questions and grow, I felt I was constantly defending what I was doing, especially why each person had cancelled any times that week and whether or not I had called them to reschedule. I was also pressured to schedule most of my patients 3x/week, or at the very least 2, even though I felt that most of them would have been ok with 2x/week.

Overall, I found this to be a very difficult place to work.

ATI has good, close seats at Brewers games and Bucks games in the Wisconsin district and other similar perks for upper management. I would much rather use the money that is going to those things for hiring more people so that the rest of us were not overworked. If you hired pool staff, you could have someone for those times when someone is sick or for the busy times, and you also would be able to let employees have more time off around the holidays. This would certainly boost employee morale and make us feel less overworked, plus give patients a much better experience. No matter how good a therapist you are, I don't think any patient is getting the best care when you as 1 person are seeing 3 at once, and that's not how you get patients to come back to your company in the future.

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at ATI Physical Therapy (Illinois) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

By far has the best leadership and operational structure in the industry. It's an outstanding supportive culture that believes in providing the best they can for their employees. Also a very smart, progressive mentality towards growth and opportunity.

Cons

The company is growing pretty fast, if your looking for mom and pop this place isn't for you. It's a national health care company with a large footprint.

The new employee onboarding training is amazing and very in-depth. You know exactly who you are working for and why. There are no surprises, expectations are clearly laid out. With the rapid growth the career opportunities are endless. I've experienced nothing but excitement about what's ahead for me professionally.

The titanic

I have been working at ATI Physical Therapy (Illinois)

Pros

Good culture, nice facilities, expanding opportunities. I have to write twenty words here but I'm find pros hard to come by right now

Cons

Promotions don't come with pay raises, in fact you often get a promotion and have to work that job for several months before you get the pay raise (if you get one). I've never seen this at any other company in my life. Unfortunately ATI is eroding its culture by watering down its support to the clinics. A recipe of no or limited support staff, slow cumbersome EMR, directors wearing too many hats is a bad combination. I believe that the decision makers are way out of touch with what actually happens on the floor. It's getting harder to provide great care and feel rewarded for your efforts. Because of rapid expansion there is virtually no chance of having two rock stars in the same clinic.

Get on the ground floor and treat some patients. Recognize that it's not the directors or even the regionals bringing down morale, it's top leadership. We are losing what makes us special everyday over the little things and it's top down.

ATI

Current Employee - FOC in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - FOC in Chicago, IL

Pros

direct supervisor is good at saying thank you//recognizing hard work and extra effort.

Cons

Little to no upward mobility within the company. Pay-raises are almost non-existent, and laughable when finally given out. bonuses given to therapists, but no opportunities for quarterly bonuses for anyone else (techs, drivers, front-office). Everything is numbers driven, and quality care starts to diminish. PTO requests are often denied due to no-coverage/coverage issues

the micro-managing feels as though you dont trust the people you hired to do the job properly.

ATi Physical Therapy

Former Employee - ATC/Rehab Tech in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - ATC/Rehab Tech in Wilmington, DE

I worked at ATI Physical Therapy (Illinois) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A lot of great people, that truly care work in these clinics. My direct supervisor was great at empowering people and treating those who worked for him like friends. He was also great at letting staff know when it was time to do business as well.

Cons

Little to now Chance to move upward within the company. Favoritism almost hits you at the front door. Corporate started to play the numbers game with patient appointments instead of being result driven.

Don't always trust employees that say yes to you the most... saying yes can sometimes mean they aren't strong enough to honestly tell you when you are wrong. Empower those who show an ability to lead, they're are a lot of therapist there that are strong leaders who are punished for not saying yes for the sake of saying yes to get ahead.

ATI Physical Therapy (Illinois) Photos