ATMI Reviews

Updated July 18, 2014

3.2

ATMI President, CEO, and Director Doug Neugold
Doug Neugold

Great company to work for....

Former Employee - Research Engineer  in  Danbury, CT
    Former Employee - Research Engineer in Danbury, CT

I worked at ATMI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company valued it's employees and their flexible work time made easy to balance between work and personal life. It also encouraged employees continuing education for personal growth.

Cons

Salary was not comparable to other companies like theirs.

HR and Values are a joke.

Former Employee - Formulations Process Operator  in  Burnet, TX
    Former Employee - Formulations Process Operator in Burnet, TX

I worked at ATMI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hi Tech company with access to many new technologies and ideas. Great to have such a company in a small town.

Cons

The environment is so political that work suffers. Work is done according to the higher up who is requesting it, not necessarily to the benefit of the customer. It was also more important to write corrective action reports or preventive action reports, than to do the actual work. I was never late, and always preformed my job in a superior manner, but I was a distraction to my manager, because I explained how I did not see core values being followed!

Instead of developing a cast system, it is more important to treat all employees with respect and compensate them for their work in the environment they are given. Take responsibility for your failures instead of trying to do all by committee. Integrity is something you have when no one is around, if you have none, leave.

Dead End Job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Danbury, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danbury, CT

I worked at ATMI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Close knit team who helps each other out with their projects when they have down time. Ability to cross train in a variety of fields of research and development.

Cons

Absolutely no room for growth. Some employees were given "promotions" that were nothing more than extra work with a new title, on the premise that they were going though a "trial period" and would receive adequate compensation after proving themselves worthy, never receiving said compensation. Within two years at this company, I reported to five different people due to restructuring. Manager told me outright that there was nowhere for someone at my level to move within the company, which is when I decided to get out.

Treat the little guys better. Hire and promote people who are competent, instead of the ones most willing to kiss your butt.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Several years in corporate role

I worked at ATMI full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to make a lot of change and affect the business

Cons

Decisions sometimes made with questionable input or assumptions

Bought out by Entegris

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Danbury, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danbury, CT

I have been working at ATMI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

WAS a great company, good pay, new and exciting work. Good employees who really helped each other succeed

Cons

Company was sold so share holders could get a nice buy out and a few more pennies on the dollar. New company never took the appropriate amount of time to learn what every one did before letting people go. I feel bad for all the hard work that is now going down the drain.

Please take the time to learn what we do and try not to force a square peg in a round hole before you let more people go.

No managerial discipline or will to succeed or focus.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burnet, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnet, TX

I have been working at ATMI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people, good environment, and a good company to employed by for a small town. The local management has tried to keep things going well.

Cons

No corporate will to invoke change. In the last 3 years I don't remember a single large initiative being completed. Many are started, but none completed. That means more wasted time spent toward projects with near-zero impact when efforts could be focused on daily work since these projects don't go anywhere. Also, if you're capable, you will get others' work tossed onto your plate while the less capable continue to get acceptable reviews. Having lost 6 people in Supply Chain alone in the last 6 months should say something in itself.

Focus on one or two projects, see them through, THEN move on to the next one. Your priorities bounce from initiative-to-initiative like a ping pong ball in a dryer.

Understand your business

Current Employee - R&D Engineer/Scientist
    Current Employee - R&D Engineer/Scientist

I have been working at ATMI full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great coworkers, interesting problems to solve, potential to make a difference in an industry.

Cons

Very, very poor management that does not understand the business. Management brags to the world about their 50% GPM then is clueless when customers bolt or demand a discount.
    Management claims to be cutting edge but the only cutting that happens is to the R&D budget.

Stop looking for shortcuts - there are none. Stop looking for the next big thing - you got lucky with SDS. Lightning seldom strikes twice.
    Start valuing your people and paying them accordingly. Bragging in your "Town halls" that you invested millions in another company rather than your own sends morale into the toilet. Telling your people that "The cemeteries are full of indispensable people" does not make your people feel valued.

Exciting products, complex industry, and dysfunctional leadership!

Current Employee - Supply Chain & Operations  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Supply Chain & Operations in Austin, TX

I have been working at ATMI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very interesting, and innovative products.

Cons

Demands of the customers add elements of complexity unlike most industries; however, this is also what provides high potential for exceptional ROI. Unfortunately ATMI has a ton of inefficiencies across the supply chain, which is obvious to everyone. Unfortunately, the senior leaders are more interested in being conservative vs. taking calculated risks that would help the company decrease its operating costs by millions of dollars. each year

Grow a set and make a decision! Too many leaders are afraid to make a significant, yet necessary changes that will take the company to new heights. The Entegris acquisition is going to be a breath of fresh air for many of ATMI's employees. The company needs a clear vision, and a sound strategy to support that vision. Right now ATMI is all over the road.

Great company

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst

I have been working at ATMI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to contribute and grow

Cons

Company is now sold to Entegris

Good company to work for

I have been working at ATMI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good jobs, pay and benefits

Cons

no cons to share here

Worked for ATMI? Contribute to the Community!