ATMI

Updated January 4, 2015
3.2

ATMI President, CEO, and Director Doug Neugold
Doug Neugold

Somewhat progressive, but poorly managed

I have been working at ATMI

Pros

Diverse portfolio. Nice place to work. Allows liberal work-at-home and alternate work schedules.

Cons

Limited raises. No bonuses.

Working at ATMI was a great opportunity for me because my boss was a great mentor.

I worked at ATMI

Pros

If you're liked you get promoted without experience immediately. If not, there is no growth.

Cons

Very political environment. Not a friendly place to work at unless you're in a click.

Set an example for the employees to follow. What they see from management, they follow.

Too bad it's gone

I worked at ATMI

Pros

Good vision from sr leaders

Cons

Poor execution of new product release

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Round Rock, TX

I worked at ATMI as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great peer group to help you adjust to the environment. Exposure to good projects.

Cons

Manufacturing facility was a drive away from the office.

Doing great.

HR and Values are a joke.

Former Employee - Formulations Process Operator in Burnet, TX
    Former Employee - Formulations Process Operator in Burnet, TX

I worked at ATMI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hi Tech company with access to many new technologies and ideas. Great to have such a company in a small town.

Cons

The environment is so political that work suffers. Work is done according to the higher up who is requesting it, not necessarily to the benefit of the customer. It was also more important to write corrective action reports or preventive action reports, than to do the actual work. I was never late, and always preformed my job in a superior manner, but I was a distraction to my manager, because I explained how I did not see core values being followed!

Instead of developing a cast system, it is more important to treat all employees with respect and compensate them for their work in the environment they are given. Take responsibility for your failures instead of trying to do all by committee. Integrity is something you have when no one is around, if you have none, leave.

Great company to work for....

Former Employee - Research Engineer in Danbury, CT
    Former Employee - Research Engineer in Danbury, CT

I worked at ATMI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company valued it's employees and their flexible work time made easy to balance between work and personal life. It also encouraged employees continuing education for personal growth.

Cons

Salary was not comparable to other companies like theirs.

Several years in corporate role

I worked at ATMI full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to make a lot of change and affect the business

Cons

Decisions sometimes made with questionable input or assumptions

Dead End Job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danbury, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danbury, CT

I worked at ATMI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Close knit team who helps each other out with their projects when they have down time. Ability to cross train in a variety of fields of research and development.

Cons

Absolutely no room for growth. Some employees were given "promotions" that were nothing more than extra work with a new title, on the premise that they were going though a "trial period" and would receive adequate compensation after proving themselves worthy, never receiving said compensation. Within two years at this company, I reported to five different people due to restructuring. Manager told me outright that there was nowhere for someone at my level to move within the company, which is when I decided to get out.

Treat the little guys better. Hire and promote people who are competent, instead of the ones most willing to kiss your butt.

Bought out by Entegris

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danbury, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danbury, CT

I have been working at ATMI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

WAS a great company, good pay, new and exciting work. Good employees who really helped each other succeed

Cons

Company was sold so share holders could get a nice buy out and a few more pennies on the dollar. New company never took the appropriate amount of time to learn what every one did before letting people go. I feel bad for all the hard work that is now going down the drain.

Please take the time to learn what we do and try not to force a square peg in a round hole before you let more people go.

Understand your business

Current Employee - R&D Engineer/Scientist
    Current Employee - R&D Engineer/Scientist

I have been working at ATMI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, interesting problems to solve, potential to make a difference in an industry.

Cons

Very, very poor management that does not understand the business. Management brags to the world about their 50% GPM then is clueless when customers bolt or demand a discount.
    Management claims to be cutting edge but the only cutting that happens is to the R&D budget.

Stop looking for shortcuts - there are none. Stop looking for the next big thing - you got lucky with SDS. Lightning seldom strikes twice.
    Start valuing your people and paying them accordingly. Bragging in your "Town halls" that you invested millions in another company rather than your own sends morale into the toilet. Telling your people that "The cemeteries are full of indispensable people" does not make your people feel valued.