ATRIO Health Plans

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.8

Ruth Rogers Bauman

A terrific place to work

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at ATRIO Health Plans full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

ATRIO has provided a place for me to grow as a person. I have enjoyed the various challenges that has come with a company that has been growing, the learning curve is constant and I am never bored. I have really enjoyed working with the staff here at ATRIO. It has been really nice to see the company increase the benefits they offer including the gym reimbursement program. PTO has always been a great benefit here. I have seen salaries increase over the years from being on the stingy side to comparable rates with other companies.

Cons

Growth and changes are always hard. Growing pains have happen and will continue to happen for ATRIO. Some of the changes have come to fast with the staffing and it makes everyone in the office uneasy as that happens. Sometimes departments are at odds with each other rather than working as a team for the whole.

Communicate before readjusting or moving people. Let staff know what is going on and how this will improve the office. Remind departments we all have the same goal and we are working together.

Work can be hard. If it wasn't, they'd call it fishing.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseburg, OR

I have been working at ATRIO Health Plans full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people. 95% (plus or minus, depending upon the point in time) of the folks with whom I have the privilege of working are some of the highest quality individuals.
    Excellent work environment. Good people = good work environment.
    The company is local, which means doing business with people who cold be our neighbor, doctor, friends of our families and other people we might interact with in the community - I think that makes us care more about the quality of what we do.
    Flexibility for appointments, time off when needed or wanted, generous PTO.
    Opportunity for growth, as well as promotion and advancement if desired.
    Excellent benefits.
    Good compensation.
    I am treated with respect by my superiors.
    The work can be hard, but it's honest.
    I don't hate Mondays.

Cons

Few and infrequent.
    Most jobs could use more staff, but I've certainly experienced worse at other jobs.

None that I can think of. If I had any, I would have no problem giving it.
    I feel appreciated and valued. While the CEO and other "upper management" folks don't come to me on a daily basis to pat me on the back, I do receive thank-yous for jobs well done and recognition on occasion - and there is that paycheck I get every couple of weeks, which seems to me a pretty good expression of thanks-for-your-effort.
    I don't always agree with the way things are done, but I am able to express my opinion without experiencing intimidation or fear of retaliation from any current management staff.

Terrible place to work, poor management at the top. ACA is running them over like a tractor, very old-school thinking

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I have been working at ATRIO Health Plans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No jobs in Salem, OR, some very nice people. good benefits. I do not expect them to be around long if they don't clean house at the top. Mgnt is clueless.

Cons

Upper management is unattached to the workers and what needs to be accomplished. They do not understand priorities. The CEO is a nice person but she is being misled. She need to talk more with her workers not her management Many problem with her C-staff.

To the Board: you need some leadership that are people oriented, surveys will not do it. Review your C-suite.
    CFO do not understand the Accountable Care Act and CMS changes, huge problem

Not enough support for lower level employees

I have been working at ATRIO Health Plans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good pay, bonuses usually every year. Let some people work from home, depending on what you do within the company.

Cons

CEO and CFO are known to belittle and reprimand people in front of others. They act like bullies to lower level people, very little patience and understanding, and like to use intimidation to control situations to their favor. Primeval attitude really. And not enough support to do the work. Runs too lean. I have been asking for help for a long time and supervisors deflect the requests and give me the run around. I have seen this happen with other employees too. If someone leaves, they like to give the duties to others within the company instead of hiring people, and have done that for so long the employees are at their max and can't take on any more work. If a big report is due, you end up dropping other stuff to get that done, getting more and more behind.

Hire more help. Treat everyone with respect and kindness.

No actual direction from upper management

I have been working at ATRIO Health Plans

Pros

Coworkers are are nice to work with.

Cons

Business runs too lean, not enough employees

Invest in your employees

Not the positive environment it used to be

I have been working at ATRIO Health Plans

Pros

The company is growing and there are opportunities for professional development for staff who are willing to take on extra work to help overloaded coworkers.

Cons

The employee morale has really declined over the past year. Non-executive staff feel invisible to the CEO and insecure about the future of their jobs. Company-wide meetings feel scripted and candid discussions do not take place anymore. There is almost no recognition or positive feedback given from the CEO to staff for a job well done. This has been a huge change from the leadership style of the previous CEO.

Take time to say hello to non-executive staff and understand the essential functions of individual employees in the success of the company. Be more receptive to the ideas and feedback of employees and show a willingness to trust their professional experience. Positive feedback is much more effective within the current employee culture than berating staff for mistakes without truly hearing the whole story from each individual involved. Encourage a "team" environment where people are praised for rising to the occasion. Discourage back-stabbing and negative "self-interested" behavior.

Excellent work environment in a small community

I have been working at ATRIO Health Plans

Pros

Because ATRIO is a small company, employees have the opportunity to learn all facets of the Medicare Advantage health insurance industry.

Cons

Because it is a small, physician-owned company, ATRIO tends to run a lean staff and meeting all of the demands can be demanding at times.

I am very thankful for the opportunities I have had with ATRIO and look forward to many more to come.