AVA.ai

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Mark Bradley

Dizzying Innovation in a Team Driven Environment

Software Developer (Current Employee) Bellingham, WA

Prosgreat people, food and office views. Constant evolution of technical infrastructure as the business continues to grow. The best part is the team driven environment. Its rewarding to watch your efforts add to success within the business. Help is readily available for those interested in learning. Hard work consistently is recognized and rewarded.

Consfree beer can be excessively foamy

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the doors open for communication. Continue to invite team members to meetings that involve relevant code/ideas in order to avoid the trickle-down effect.

Great company - great benefits- amazing product

ProsFree food, drink and snacks,
    innovative product that produces proven results,
    amazing, dedicated, smart and caring team to work with,
    fun environment

ConsParking can be an issue,
    later starting culture,
    no formal training program so hard to get up to speed and learn it all

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease provide clear direction and decisions for the team to work towards, please add a formal training program

Look forward to going to work everyday!

Office Manager/Accounting Manager (Current Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsWe have great people with a tremendous amount of talent, knowledge and experience. We work hard and we definitely play hard. We have good team effort to get the job done. Very competive wages and many extras benefits: snacks; beverages and a full range of break time activites in the office - pool, foosball, darts, mountain bilkes, 2x weekly massages and yoga classes provided in house. We get together after hours - a fun bus to Safeco Field for a Mariner's game in June. I have 30+ years experience in the work force and this is by far my best job to date.

ConsDowntown Bellingham parking is trying.... we do offer parking spaces for the employees. Our office space need some minor renovation but it all works.
    Payroll schedule needs to be adjusted to the 1st and 15th of every month - it is very hard as a new employee to wait 3 weeks to get their first paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going forward, there have been some growing pains but for the most part you are doing a great job! You will never please everyone but most of us love working here!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Place To Work and Learn

Software Trainer (Current Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsWorking with Artificial Intelligence Software is simply super cool. Seeing it work in Dealerships to help them increase sales is even better. Fun job with lots of bright and smart people. Feel like a game of pool or ping pong? Need a massage? Go get one, twice a week she is here. Yoga class? Go for it...twice a week it is also offered. Team building event? Sure..come join us for Mariners game at Safeco or for a weekend Hackathon. Hungry or Thirsty? You wont be here as all snacks and beverages are provided at NO EXPENSE to the employee (we even have an office mom that cooks and cleans up after us).

ConsHaving to work with people that are probably a lot smarter than yourself!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the perks and benefits. The balance between work and life and the perks offered here are simply not found elsewhere in this area.

Sleazebags

Software Developer (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsGreat medical benefits
    Free food
    Free beer
    Pool table
    Ping pong table
    Office "mom" to prepare free food and clean the office
    401k with an OK employer match, a few percent isn't much when you are paid so little though.

Cons50 hours a week minimum + 24/7 "On Call"
    Mandated shifts that can have you working as early as 6AM or as late as Midnight.
    Working on the weekends a normal occurrence
    Terrible work-life balance

No overtime, even for hourly employees working over 40 hours a week, which is illegal in this state.

2 weeks to 1 month unpaid before they decide to hire you for real.

Start at just above minimum wage, this goes for hourly and salaried employees.

Focus on "fix it right now" not maintainable code

Don't get me started on the contract you sign to work there, literally a book.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay competitive salaries
    Free food and beer != caring about your employees

Aug 9, 2013

We are always striving to compete for talented Software Developers. While your experience at AVA may not be what you had hoped for we support your decision to work somewhere else.

Cheap

Software Developer (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsThey had free food and energy drinks.
    There was an office pool table with an office pool ranking.
    There was occasional office beer and pizza.

ConsThe pay was very poor. It was barely minimum wage.
    It was a threatening office environment. People were either being fired or afraid of being fired.
    The code quality was low. Everything was constantly being written and rewritten as fast as possible with little to no attention to long term maintainability.
    They forced you to work unpaid overtime hours and threatened you if you didn't.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your workers a competitive wage or you'll continue to see a high turnover rate.

Sleazy

Developer (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA

Prosmedical benefits
    free energy drinks and sugary snacks
    keg (you'll probably need a drink by noon)

Cons50 + hours of work per week REQUIRED for all developers at around minimum wage. Employees were not paid overtime.

Employees had to log an average of 9 to 10 hours a day of "actual work". They had to make up for time spent at lunch, playing pool, etc.

Employees had to sign up for late night shifts on a rotational basis. These were counted as regular work hours.

Management often looked for ways to get more free work out of employees, such as organization all-night "hack-a-thons" or requiring a 2 week unpaid "internship" before hiring a new developer.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdhere to industry standards and pay employees fairly. Treat employees like skilled tech professionals instead of code monkeys.

There is no incentive for anyone with real talent to stay with this company.

... More

I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Developer (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsHonestly the only two good things I found while working for AVA.AI (formerly AutoFerret) were the free snacks and the 100% paid health benefits.

Cons50 hours minimum on salary but expected to work more.
    Any hours worked over 40 are not counted as overtime.
    Unpaid all night long hackathons for products that benefit the company.
    Constantly asked to work after hours with no pay.
    Constantly stressful.
    Not always paid on time.
    Salary docked if you don't work 50 hours.
    Very low salary to begin with.
    Many illegal employment practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to step it up if they expect to lower their already high turnover rate.

... More

Worked for AVA.ai? Contribute to the Community!