AVI Foodsystems Inc.

Updated December 15, 2014
2.2

AVI Foodsystems Inc. President & CEO Anthony J. Payiavlas
Anthony J. Payiavlas

Pros
  • The hours are all Monday thru Friday and short shifts (in 3 reviews)

• Solid company with great growth, friendly support staff and really awesome food made with FRESH and I mean really fresh ingredients (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management was very questionable, no support for middle management & too many hours for the pay (in 5 reviews)

• Work / Life Balance can be difficult at times (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Just a job.

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Cleveland, OH

I worked at AVI Foodsystems Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours. Most locations are closed in the evening and weekends so its nice to get off work early in the day.

Cons

Lack of diversity within management, unfulfilled promised promotions, low pay for sometimes double or even triple the work load.

Promote from within the company instead of always hiring outside managers. This is very frustrating to employees who have been with the company for a number of years, especially when they have to train the new manager. Also, upon arriving to a new account don't feel you have to make drastic changes if the location is already running smoothly.

Nice work corporate work environment, Awful company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Youngstown, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Youngstown, OH

I have been working at AVI Foodsystems Inc.

Pros

The corporate headquarters is a nice facility.

Cons

The company has no idea what fair pay and work means. It's fine to be a company that has high expectations for its employees, but it it another thing to think it is alright to pay their employees exceptionally lower than the average base pay of any particular position. Their time off and vacations are deplorable.

Get with the times as far as delegating authority to individual departments and managers. For having 8000 employees across the country, its beyond inefficient to expect all the decision making to be done by one person at headquarters. And stop operating the company as if there is no money to go around.

Disturbed

I worked at AVI Foodsystems Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Not many pros to this company at slippery rock. I worked many years there and the only thing that made it worthwhile was the workers union, and they only just.

Cons

Managers constantly micro managing you even if you have been working twenty years on the same job and have never received a complaint.
    Abysmal sanitation isues I.e. enough roaches that I had to change shoes at work so as not to take them home with me.
    Refusal to maintain basic supplies, lots of stress not being able to wash floors because the only cleaner you have is windex. Oh and I should mention that the company headquarters would regularly block basic ingredients like butter from the orders.
    Also, the only reason Boozel dining hall at Slippery rock is operating is because the state (pa) won't shut down state operated facilities.

Quit, and let someone with half a spine and brain actually listen to employees and customers and cease the lip service and lying to your contract holders

It was the worst company I ever worked for in my life and I have worked in this business for 50 years!!!

Former Employee - Cook in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Cook in Rochester, NY

I worked at AVI Foodsystems Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nonewhatsoever I find there are no pros at all. They treat you horrible. YOU ARE NOT their family!!!

Cons

Everything . This company discriminates against women.Also they do everything to take away any kind of benefits . They also won't pay benefits and find a way and lie about you so they don't have to pay unemployment benefits

Start treating woman employees as good as the men.Also your managers need training on how to treat the help they have.Don't let the one's with boss egos work there.Spend money on better food and make sure the unit doesn't run out all the time.Also make sure there is enough staff to work there and not add more work to an already stretched out staff

Great opportunity for a starting managerial applicant

Current Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at AVI Foodsystems Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good starting salary and they are very family oriented so there is no doubt that they care. Their mission &vision statement is one that aligns their core values to what all employers want to see from their employees. Extremely rewarding experiences through empowerment of their employees and managerial staff.

Cons

The pay for hourly personnel is a bit low but they're treated really well with paid holidays off, and other company incentives. General Managers are treated well also but there are few if any company perks that are offered to them to help in the lower salary pay scales they're on.

Know what you want and do research on the account client that you would be working for. It's a great stepping stone that loves to promote from within but you need to be on the right side of the line for any considerations.

Going Back in Time

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at AVI Foodsystems Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good learning for Customer Service Accounts. Good fresh food.

Cons

Company refuses to modernize and still is a pencil and paper organization. I haven't done things in the Vending business for the last 20 years and trucks and equipment antiquated.

To much nepotism. Quit hiring losers from other companies and have a training program for new managers and support the local branch to staff the vacant positions, turnover is horrendous.

It is a great learning experience to advance knowledge in the culinary industry

Current Employee - Catering Personal in Plainfield, IN
    Current Employee - Catering Personal in Plainfield, IN

I have been working at AVI Foodsystems Inc. part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Monday through Friday work week off before 2 pm

Cons

Hours are not that great to avoid insurance purposes company works it's employees under 30 hours

Take more interest in the welfare of your hourly employees

Resident Director

Former Employee - Resident Director in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Resident Director in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at AVI Foodsystems Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive atmosphere and family focused company

Cons

Pay sometimes does not match position or experience level

Good company but be prepared to work hard.

manager

I worked at AVI Foodsystems Inc.

Pros

there were non. poor in every area

Cons

was lied to about what the job was to entail, left after 3 months.

DRiver

Current Employee - Route Driver in Warren, OH
    Current Employee - Route Driver in Warren, OH

I have been working at AVI Foodsystems Inc. full-time

Pros

job security, delivery to branch plants

Cons

old equipment, small raises, expensive benefits

to many chiefs