AVI-SPL

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Zettel

Pros:
  • "Good benefits but bad work life balance"
    in 2 reviews
  • "Ability to work on-site for a Fortune 100 company"
    in 2 reviews
Cons:
  • "Bad Benefits, Bad Pay, Bad Management, and they would rather hire people with little to no experience than promote from within"
    in 3 reviews
  • "little room for advancement, compensation could be more dependable"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Friendly coworkers, slightly disorganized company

ProsBenefits, nice coworkers, PDO, flexible schedule, fulltime hours, holidays, opportunity to travel.

ConsDisorganization of documents, difficult to manage workload, training isn't sufficient to learn the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on better training and reorganization of materials. Have new employees work alongside more experienced employees for better understanding of systems.

Never want to duplicate this experience

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsI met some of the most appreciative co-workers inter-departmentally as well as in the sales organization who treated me with respect and had reasonable expectations.

ConsLack of communication across the company and lack of clear direction from management. Exec management had no appreciation and respect for the me or the job I did. False promises and pretenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop what you are doing, step back and look at your actions in a fresh way. A few of you should probably even go back and apologize to those you deceived. Realize that the employees under you may even be smarter than you are in some areas. Identify the holes and bleeding with the processes. Decide on a clear message and direction, a way to accomplish it, then communicate it company-wide. While you are stepping back, ask those who actually do the work, not only how they currently do it, but how they "would" do it if they could change it.

You think things are great then the rug is pulled out

Management (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsThe people in the company are great they truly made the experience worthwhile. I was treated with respect and given reasonable expectations on my performance.

ConsOwned by an investment company, THEY call the shots. Executive leadership is very fractured and does not make the tough decisions early, they get there eventually but the damage is already done. Back end systems are very dated and cannot prove useful business information resulting in many issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead, one word quite simply. Then stop playing favorites and politics, finally pick the businesses you want the company to be in and stick to it. Follow your own culture and values that you set down for others, you must lead in every area

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Looks better from the outside

Director (Current Employee)

ProsWorking with the people have been rewarding and many if not all does the best that they can with limited resources themself

ConsLack of promotion growth and there is no upper management guidance or direction

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your customers and employees they are too removed.

RUN!! Company is PATHETIC!

Service (Former Employee)

ProsJust enough money not to be homeless which is sad because I am single with no kids. I couldn't imagine how family men/women survive.

ConsEverything else..

-The service department has been bleeding out for the past year with volume quadrupling. Customers call in and their account information hasn't been entered in the system months, sometimes years after a contract is signed. (This delays service a good 2-3 days as we need to have an onboarding team that consists of 2 people enter their information in the system.) Ordering a spare part takes 3 weeks because the logistics department consists of 3 people that have a backlog consisting of hundreds of orders.

-You never hear a peep from management unless it is to tell you to "Hang in there. Change is coming" or they are receiving complaints from customers/account managers asking you why something is taking so long when they know exactly why (See paragraph above..).

- There is room for advancement if you consider advancement to be receiving additional responsibility with no pay increase.

-They tell you that the budget just isn't there to add some people to lighten the load or award raises to people that have been with the company for multiple years but they sure have the budget to hire more managers and supervisors and directors and VPs (majoriy of whom work from their homes in .

-Bullying is also a major problem as well. Not the type of bullying that you may be thinking of i am talking about departmental bullying. Some of the other offices like to throw their junk over the fence to the service departments to handle and when service tries to explain how they are not responsible for said junk they get pushed around by the office causing service management to fold and accept the extra work for their already depleted team to handle.

I could literally write a book about how backwards this company is and how it has soured my view of the business world but I will spare you any further details. My advice would be to run far far away from this place. They will try to sell you with their flashy clients (Sports stadiums, Fortune 500 clients etc) but know that this is all a scam to get you in the door. You will be losing hair, sleep and everything in between after only a short time. DON'T DO IT!

Advice to Senior ManagementDare to be bold and tackle some of the real problems that the company is faced with and lead by example rather than make excuses.

Arrogant Leadership, Care about $$ not employees.

Management (Former Employee)

ProsGetting a paycheck, may get sold which could change things.

ConsEverything- the way people are treated, big boys club, arrogant leadership, little advancement, lack of security, etc

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget where you started, we all put our pants on one leg at a time. Learn to treat your employees with respect and encourage an environment to respect each another. It is sad that you are leading a company that no one looks up to. Some of you don't deserve to be the position you are in due to experience and it shows through your lack of professionalism and the disrespect you show to the people who make it possible for you to even have a job.

Horrible -- worst job of my life (I resigned)

(Former Employee)

ProsNo one manages you, most employees work from home, coworkers are nice, very challenged environment , time off policy is good,

ConsEvery division has their own priorities and they clash with other divisions, good-olé boy leadership, poor process, disorganized, talentless organization. Raises are based on favoritism not goals. Somewhere along the way, they lost marty's vision. Sad, dire company. I'd be surprised if they are still around in 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to move on, you're killing the company with your ego driven lackluster behaviors

This Company is a Train Wreck

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsThere's a handful of talented people, but they are silenced and not able to positively impact the core leadership team.

ConsExtremely poor and arrogant leadership. Operationally driven but unable to execute so the result is slow sales growth and dissatisfied customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to the Investment Company is to replace the core leadership team for incompetency

Values decayed over time...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsWhen I started at AVI, it was a wonderful place to work. The office was like a hard working family with the common goal of serving the customer. My director was very smart and capable, and we were able to achieve great things together. These were the best days of my professional career. Then came the merger.

ConsSenior leadership now has one singular focus.... sell the company, make money, and move on. There is no longer any concern for the individual employee. The culture is cut throat, uncomfortable, and with every quarter there seems to be a rash of firings. No one knows when their time will come, but no one feels secure (except perhaps a few in senior leadership positions - and even some of them have been axed). It saddens me to think of what was once here, and what the place has become. The spirit and ethical core of the company has been sucked dry by greedy corporate vampires. I've been very sorry to have witnessed it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no reason to give advice to people who won't hear it. I could tell them to heed the advice of over half of those who have commented here, but they sincerely don't give a rat's tail what the employees say. I left knowing that the company no longer cared about service, or taking care of the people who work for them. So, instead of speaking to management, I'll speak to those of you who still work there. Quit. Find a job you love. Work hard for people who will take care of you, and give a crap about something other than selling you to the highest bidder (or by now, perhaps any bidder). But move on and find somewhere that you're efforts are appreciated and your growth is encouraged. Do I have an ax to grind? I guess so, but it's only because someone came in and took a whiz on my family, and I loved my family. :)

Too Big For Their Own Good

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLargest AV Integrator in the country. Decent Pay.

ConsToo many new initiatives. Constant change to the point that you simply don't know where to go or who to ask to get something done and once you do figure it out, they've changed it again! It's always another dept.'s responsibility.Too many layers of overlays and management. Not enough support staff or resources. Management does not listen until it's too late.
    They are so busy chasing new business that they ignore their long time loyal clients, until they are no longer there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the basics. Concentrate on your core clients. Shore up the resources to support them before trying to expand.

Worked for AVI-SPL? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AVI-SPL reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AVI-SPL CEO John Zettel. All 60 reviews posted anonymously by AVI-SPL employees.